ADVERTISEMENT

Tiger - give him a break

I agree that back pain is no fun, and yet I think the throwing of stones is totally warranted. Tiger is no dummy. He knows the effects of his meds. He can afford a driver, or can certainly get in a cab. I have a 70 year old client that faces serious pain every day of his life, and is on heavy pain medication. He gave up driving because he knows he is a risk to himself and others when he gets behind the wheel. He came to my office for a Will recently and took the bus. I offered to ride him home and he refused saying my time was valuable and he would be just fine. That man has my respect. Tiger, not so much.
I'm right with you Fair. Fourth back surgery. He has a reasonable idea of what he can and can't tolerate. I'm sure if you are in extreme pain, you are not driving to the local Walgreens at 3 a.m. Also, it's less than 6 weeks since his surgery. I'm curious how long of a time period, if any, his surgeon advised him to refrain from driving. A lot of questions left to be answered.
In Florida, failing a field sobriety test, under the influence of drugs seems to be the same as a DUI with alcohol. Also, it does NOT matter if you have a RX for them. http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/floridas-drugged-driving-law.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
1. You should have gotten the guy in Milwaukee a hooker. It would have been the honorable thing to do.

2. Actually, you are lucky the guy got quiet and started to cry. You could have had your nose busted for getting into his business.

3. Tiger will bounce back although probably not on the golf course. He was rumored to be involved in golf course design, although the one he had plans for in North Carolina fizzled out. I am pretty sure he is a smart guy, or at least shrewd, and will figure out something.

4. I won't condone Tiger driving if he knew he was not going to be in good shape, and thank Goodness no one got hurt. I don't condone anyone driving if they are not 100% ready to drive. But for the Love of God, you guys act like he committed mass murder. Or more appropriately, you guys are enjoying giving someone a final push off their pedestal....which not long ago, you helped put them on.
3. Tiger's had at least two of his golf course designs open. One is in Mexico, the other is in Texas, iirc.

So, Mexico and "Mexico-Lite". Got it. :confused:
For the hell of it I looked up his design site. His outfit is called TGR Design. He's got several projects going besides the ones I mentioned. Others are in Chicago, Missouri, China, Dubai, the Bahamas and more Mexico. I guess it remains to be seen how this incident affects his design business as well as his endorsements.

I sure miss him competing. For me, the PGA Tour isn't the same without him.

For the hell of it I looked up his design site. His outfit is called TGR Design. He's got several projects going besides the ones I mentioned. Others are in Chicago, Missouri, China, Dubai, the Bahamas and more Mexico. I guess it remains to be seen how this incident affects his design business as well as his endorsements.

In the long run, I honestly don't think it will - except for the self righteous podium climbers. But, they were looking for an excuse anyway.

Reactions: artsandletters

If he is damaged goods after this episode, it would be hard to fathom financiers dropping a load of money on his desk and say deliver me a golf course.

If he is damaged goods after this episode, it would be hard to fathom financiers dropping a load of money on his desk and say deliver me a golf course.

Many folk like redemption stories --- if anything, Tiger could get more opportunities from this. That's all dependent upon Tiger's attitude, of course.

Financial impact of the incident starting now-
Many folk like redemption stories --- if anything, Tiger could get more opportunities from this. That's all dependent upon Tiger's attitude, of course.
Haha, I'm not hiring you as my PR man. I know what you mean but "redemption" is probably off in the future, and not a given since he isn't competing at a high level and certainly not winning any tournaments any time soon.
Rumblings on the street he might lose his Nike $45 mill/year, and his Rolex endorsement. Just noise, no firm announcements yet, but Wall street talking heads are saying it's likely Tiger gets bumped.

Haha, I'm not hiring you as my PR man. I know what you mean but "redemption" is probably off in the future, and not a given since he isn't competing at a high level and certainly not winning any tournaments any time soon.
Rumblings on the street he might lose his Nike $45 mill/year, and his Rolex endorsement. Just noise, no firm announcements yet, but Wall street talking heads are saying it's likely Tiger gets bumped.
If he loses all or part of Nike it may have more to do with them getting out of the golf club business. Tiger wears their apparel but uses different equipment (same with Rory and the rest of the Nike players).

If he loses all or part of Nike it may have more to do with them getting out of the golf club business. Tiger wears their apparel but uses different equipment (same with Rory and the rest of the Nike players).
Nike accounting numbers showed more profit in clothing than golf equipment. Adidas just took a major hit to dump Taylormade Golf. No money in golf equipment. Millions and millions of dollars lost in the Adidas sale. Weird with TM having the top players under contract, and a hot line of drivers and fairway woods, sold for pennies on the dollar.

As I said, it primarily depends on Tiger's attitude here. But he can come out a net winner here.

As for Nike, I'd think Phil Knight would have to die before Nike bumps Tiger.

Nike accounting numbers showed more profit in clothing than golf equipment. Adidas just took a major hit to dump Taylormade Golf. No money in golf equipment. Millions and millions of dollars lost in the Adidas sale. Weird with TM having the top players under contract, and a hot line of drivers and fairway woods, sold for pennies on the dollar.
Where do you get TM drivers for pennies on the dollar?

As I said, it primarily depends on Tiger's attitude here. But he can come out a net winner here.

As for Nike, I'd think Phil Knight would have to die before Nike bumps Tiger.
Knight is a linchpin. If he folds, the Tiger endorsements fold up like a broken lawn chair. I think the Nike money equals all the other endorsements combined.

Sounds like Adidas overpaid for the Taylor Made brand? Hello, McFly...
jW7pQ.gif

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Believe his alcohol level was 0.00. No excuse for taking meds when driving, but he wasn't drunk.

Was obviously impaired his car had two flat tires, bumper damage and he was sleep with his car running and partially on the road.

Also at first apparently said something about driving in Southern California.

LUCKILY he didn't kill himself and LUCKILY he didn't kill someone else.

I have problems feeing sorry for him. He screwed everything that moved, has been a self-righteous pompous ass.

St this ooont he had already been tried
I have problems feeing sorry for him. He screwed everything that moved, has been a self-righteous pompous ass.

Actually that makes him a hero in my book.

James Bond
Charlie Harper
Hank Moody
Tiger Woods

All star line up of lotharios.

Oh by the way- All those women he slept with -they all knew he was married. Did not seem to stop them.

But I guess we only pass judgment on the dude and especially if he has money. Because in our warped national mindset - we expect people with money to somehow be more pious and moralistic than the rest of us.

James Bond
Charlie Harper
Hank Moody
Tiger Woods

Oh by the way- All those women he slept with -they all knew he was married. Did not seem to stop them.

But I guess we only pass judgment on the dude and especially if he has money. Because in our warped national mindset - we expect people with money to somehow be more pious and moralistic than the rest of us.
Interesting. I tend to view things more as non-absolutes. Tiger has good qualities. Great golfing skill. Was able to negotiate Stanford . Helps Vets, Wounded Warriors, and has a children's foundation. He also has qualities that make him imperfect. We all do. He can at times be a hero and at times a dud. Most of my heroes are of the everyday variety. For example, I have a single mom that works for me. She works full time and is going to college part-time. Raising two little kids. Helping her mother through her dying days with pancreatic cancer. Yet, she is often positive and uplifting.
I know plenty of people with money. Once again, they are no better or worse than anyone else. Usually the guys that started out poor, and created their own wealth are the most interesting. Deep down, no different than the rest of us. Anxieties, imperfections, and stress continue to permeate their lives. They do have cooler shit and hang out at better places.

Reactions: LionJim
Interesting. I tend to view things more as non-absolutes. Tiger has good qualities. Great golfing skill. Was able to negotiate Stanford . Helps Vets, Wounded Warriors, and has a children's foundation. He also has qualities that make him imperfect. We all do. He can at times be a hero and at times a dud. Most of my heroes are of the everyday variety. For example, I have a single mom that works for me. She works full time and is going to college part-time. Raising two little kids. Helping her mother through her dying days with pancreatic cancer. Yet, she is often positive and uplifting.
I know plenty of people with money. Once again, they are no better or worse than anyone else. Usually the guys that started out poor, and created their own wealth are the most interesting. Deep down, no different than the rest of us. Anxieties, imperfections, and stress continue to permeate their lives. They do have cooler shit and hang out at better places.

I have lower standards.

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy

James Bond
Charlie Harper
Hank Moody
Tiger Woods

I think Bond, Harper and Moody were single. No? Tiger was a married man when he was banging multiple bitches. This includes the homely waitress from Perkin's (not Denny's) who he ogled while having breakfast with his wife per this link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...our-diner-waitress-deal-kept-affair-news.html
Tiger is a hero yet anyone who points out his flaws is a sanctimonious, judgmental hypocrite in your book. Is that right?

I think Bond, Harper and Moody were single. No? Tiger was a married man when he was banging multiple bitches. This includes the homely waitress from Perkin's (not Denny's) who he ogled while having breakfast with his wife per this link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...our-diner-waitress-deal-kept-affair-news.html
Tiger is a hero yet anyone who points out his flaws is a sanctimonious, judgmental hypocrite in your book. Is that right?

No. I never said sanctimonious judgmental hypocrite.

I don't hold people to as high a standard as others.

And as far as the number of women he slept with -they all knew he was married. It takes two to tango.

No. I never said sanctimonious judgmental hypocrite.

I don't hold people to as high a standard as others.

And as far as the number of women he slept with -they all knew he was married. It takes two to tango.
What bothers me is the power imbalance in so many of these relationships. With the Perkins waitress, Tiger was more attractive, had more money, greater intelligence, better social skills, more connections....and he played this woman like a violin. He got what he wanted and moved on. He is despicable and worthy of contempt.

Last edited:
What bothers me is the power imbalance in so many of these relationships. With the Perkins waitress, Tiger was more attractive, had more money, greater intelligence, better social skills, more connections....and he played this woman like a violin. He got what he wanted and moved on. He is despicable and worthy of contempt.

"Tiger's hoes" (to use a phrase my buddy uses) --- those gals were hardly "victims" here.

National Enquirer wouldn't have been offering them $50K for an interview if they were sleeping with any other PGA golfer. They wouldn't have offered even $5.

Not to mention Tiger paying many of these women off to keep quiet.

"Tiger's hoes" (to use a phrase my buddy uses) --- those gals were hardly "victims" here.

National Enquirer wouldn't have been offering them $50K for an interview if they were sleeping with any other PGA golfer. They wouldn't have offered even $5.

Not to mention Tiger paying many of these women off to keep quiet.

So you believe money takes away their status as "victims"? That kind of argument does not deserve a rebuttal and I will offer none.

Correct and remember the navy seal article and how they felt about Tiger after getting to know him, they couldn't get away from him quick enough.

So you believe money takes away their status as "victims"? That kind of argument does not deserve a rebuttal and I will offer none.

Tiger didn't:

(1) rape them,
(2) sexually abuse them,
(3) beat them,
(4) steal from them,
(5) spread false information about them,
(6) verbally demean them,
(7) threaten bodily harm upon them, or
(8) stalk them.

If Tiger did do any of those 8 things, we would definitely have victims here.

Now, as for what Tiger did do:

(1) have willing sexual intercourse with them (with no intention of having a longer-term relationship with them).

Is that something Tim Tebow would do? No. But Tiger is hardly in OJ territory here either.

I don't particularly like Tiger. But, no, I don't find his behavior here "despicable." And neither do I view these women as victims.

Fair, it works both ways. In many of the cases, the women gets what she wants and the man gets what he wants. A woman's power may be beauty, sexual allure, or money. Either way, whether it's the man or the woman with the power, it's greed of a different kind.

Think of it on a more common level. A man fantasizes about a stripper on stage and gives her money as a reward. The chances of Joe Schmoe realizing his fantasies are about nil. Now, if the man watching the stripper is a pro athlete or rocker, for instance, the tables are turned, power reversed. Her fantasy is apt to be realized.

Last edited:

James Bond
Charlie Harper
Hank Moody
Tiger Woods

Wilt Chamberlain.

Fair, it works both ways. In many of the cases, the women gets what she wants and the man gets what he wants. A woman's power may be beauty, sexual allure, or money. Either way, whether it's the man or the woman with the power, it's greed of a different kind.

Today was the final day of an extended Memorial Day weekend for me and I was going back to work, and dream chasing, tomorrow. I think I'll start that break right now, with this post. I cannot believe what I am reading here tonight. I need to get some fresh air.

Today was the final day of an extended Memorial Day weekend for me and I was going back to work, and dream chasing, tomorrow. I think I'll start that break right now, with this post. I cannot believe what I am reading here tonight. I need to get some fresh air.
I highly recommend that you "call in sick" and enjoy another day doing "what you want to do when you want to do it".

It's a good life :)

Police once again could possibly end up in a PR disaster. This thing isn't over yet. Was reading a article on FL DUI and a fair number of the contested are thrown out or plea bargained to a lesser charge. Shouldn't they have gotten a court order for a blood draw ?
If Woods' tries to get it thrown out the media will crucify him. He's going to give the appearance of taking responsibility.

The first DUI is little more than a giant pain in the ass with decent representation. He'll have to jump through some hoops and pay a fine. At most community service.

While it's reasonable to believe he wasn't drinking, his excuse doesn't ring true at all. With the amount of surgeries he's had over the last few years he knows how meds affect him.

At best he was shooting for a decent buzz and ended up smashed behind the wheel. He could have popped an extra pill or two expecting to be home when they hit him. On an empty stomach it will take about half the time as normal.

NIKE is out of the equipment business which is why Tiger left..apparel numbers overall are decent...NIKE is not walking away from Tiger...they just don't do that...they did not leave him after his Thanksgiving "crash"...

personally I think part of his problem ( I don't know about any substance issues though he dodged a bullet with the steroid rumors) but his personality does not serve him well...

He is still distant with the Press...keeps talking like he is reading right off of a Press Release and if you've ever played with him during pro Ams or events he has been hard to engage..

Golfers are independent contractors...they have no teams they are affiliated and the sport is in existence because of it's Sponsorship Model...Public image and persona is even more important to Tour Players for various reasons.

Personally...Tiger no doubt elevated the sport to astonishing levels $$$...there are no multiple millionaire in the Top 20 and that was because of TIGER.

It is sad to see him fall...almost like some of the great boxers that just kept coming out into the ring i.e. Larry Holmes , George Foreman even Ali.

I doubt Tiger ever wins again...but he does seem focused on whats important and that is his kids well being...again all IMO....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT