ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd almost rather we didn't. We should wipe the floor with everyone this year with or without Nagao. And if he goes to Iowa, it's harder for them to whine about us using transfers to win titles.
Not me. I'd rather have Cael and Co curb stomp the competition. Iowa has done quite well in the portal, time for Cael to own that one also. Although I don't want that at the expense of losing high level recruits.

Does anyone know what time the announcement is going to happen? I looked but couldn't find a time.
Paramount Network Jamie GIF by Yellowstone

The upside of Nagao to Iowa is we have already seen his peak, so Carl can get somebody who knows something about recruiting to bring in a guy that somebody who knows something about coaching can work with to devise a game plan to beat him. Maybe even with one arm behind his back.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
We have NIL money; it just won't be offered upfront as a signing bonus.

I imagine Nagao talked to the wrestlers and has an idea of what is available. If he feels he can put together a fair package, he might still pick us, unless Iowa made an offer he can't refuse.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I wonder if Spencer is still that big a draw for young wrestlers.

He came to Iowa as an all-timer, ready to save the entire program. He left battered, bruised, and flat on his back, with his team 55 points out 1st.

Not the best look.
It's sad what Covid did to Spencer. If they hold the 2020 tournament, Spencer is an overwhelming favorite and Iowa was the favorite to win the team title. Then 2021 would be his swan song in NCAA wrestling, and he wins with no ACLs while leading Iowa to it's second straight title and goes out of college wrestling a 4-time champ and conquering hero with the famous last words "excuses are for wusses" as he leaves his shoes on the mat, and people are debating whether he really is the GOAT or not (I still don't see any reason Cael wouldn't be, but at least there is a reasonable conversation about it).

Of course, that's not what happened. 2020 was canceled. 21 was title three on no ACLs, but he rushes back for the 22 season without surgery to make one last run with KemDog, The Bull, and The Riddler, and can't go, so he gets the surgery very late in the game and tries to come back from double ACL reconstruction in 9 months and is never really 100%, and spends his last moments in college wrestling counting rafters while missing out on his 4th instead of delivering his "excuses" line after triumphantly winning his 4th.

I wonder if Spencer is still that big a draw for young wrestlers.

He came to Iowa as an all-timer, ready to save the entire program. He left battered, bruised, and flat on his back, with his team 55 points out 1st.

Not the best look.
But he was injured all season and that's the reason he lost and defaulted out. But he is entered in the U.S. Open. He is a quick healer unlike his mom's glasses..

It's sad what Covid did to Spencer. If they hold the 2020 tournament, Spencer is an overwhelming favorite and Iowa was the favorite to win the team title. Then 2021 would be his swan song in NCAA wrestling, and he wins with no ACLs while leading Iowa to it's second straight title and goes out of college wrestling a 4-time champ and conquering hero with the famous last words "excuses are for wusses" as he leaves his shoes on the mat, and people are debating whether he really is the GOAT or not (I still don't see any reason Cael wouldn't be, but at least there is a reasonable conversation about it).

Of course, that's not what happened. 2020 was canceled. 21 was title three on no ACLs, but he rushes back for the 22 season without surgery to make one last run with KemDog, The Bull, and The Riddler, and can't go, so he gets the surgery very late in the game and tries to come back from double ACL reconstruction in 9 months and is never really 100%, and spends his last moments in college wrestling counting rafters while missing out on his 4th instead of delivering his "excuses" line after triumphantly winning his 4th.
I’ve waded deep into the 2020 NCAA brackets. I’m convinced Penn State was going to win. I know how they placed at Big Tens.

The question
But he was injured all season and that's the reason he lost and defaulted out. But he is entered in the U.S. Open. He is a quick healer unlike his mom's glasses..
The question is, without her glasses, will she ever see Spencer wrestle again?

Yeah, covid derailed a lot of plans. At least Spencer got the extra year.

Joseph and Hall lost their 4th NCAA tourney entirely.

I’ve waded deep into the 2020 NCAA brackets. I’m convinced Penn State was going to win. I know how they placed at Big Tens.
Interesting reading this I decided to go back and look at the brackets and I just don’t see it , too many weights with no points.

Disagree about Iowa winning 2 straight if they had a 2020 tournament. Iowa would have lost Marinelli, Kemerer and Eireman in 2021 if there was no Covid.

Hell…without Covid, PSU would’ve had Cenzo and Mark in 2020, so even 1 Iowa title wasn’t a given, even though they would have been the favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT