ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Where we stand with Recruits 1/28

That's a fair thing to ask I think. Kind of like an exit interview or when you get canned by a girlfriend. "What did I do wrong baby?"
Absolutely fair. Just leaning toward this visit being more geared toward worry and any new promises needed, than glad handing. If it's playing as a freshman or even starting, or the last piece of the puzzle for a championship, so be it. Urban is the closer when there is any question needing a solution. Maybe tells us why the kid's head is spinning now. Was he thinking about staying closer to home?

If a picture says a 1,000 words, then the pictures of Hamlin with PSU compared to OSU and Pitt would suggest he is a PSU guy. Just looked happier, mother, and baby involvement etc.

Way over analyzing of course, but its what we do here in recruiting season.

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
OK and Dioubate?
Dioubate I thought was only Temple due to family issues. I assumed all his visits were not relevant. If he was truly willing to leave town it would seem PSU would be the logical choice. going to USC visit didn't make much sense.

Hamlin tweeting Ford tonight that he plays like Marcus Allen...

Pitt is hosting Toney. Not sure his interest but he did attend the ND game this year. Surprised Hudson is at Pitt this weekend. Narduzzi getting him to take a visit after his commit to Michigan is impressive. Crazy experience this year for many programs.

Especially since Hudson has shown zero interest. Can't blame him for taking in a party weekend, now that he has committed. Probably feels like letting off steam.

Especially since Hudson has shown zero interest. Can't blame him for taking in a party weekend, now that he has committed. Probably feels like letting off steam.
I agree Hudson is just partying with his friends but the Shaka Toney visit is very unexpected this weekend and kind of sucks IMO

He told the staff he was going. He may well be along for the party as well.

Narduzzi holding a huge bash session this epic negative recruiting weekend. Why not let Harbaugh catch some flak along with Coach Franklin. Hudson will enjoy the show. Maybe Harbaugh sent him to help Doozie bash Penn State?

Like someone said above, I feel like he would be looking to go somewhere he would definitely start. With Bell, Wartman-White, and Cabinda I can't see that happening. Especially cause a lot of people, me included, are expecting Bowen to take a nice step forward this year. Supposedly Bell(who is think is preposterously underrated) is mentoring him. To come in an compete with a 4* SO in Cooper for the 5th LB spot, I just don't think that's what he has in mind as a Grad transfer.
Where's Doctori when we need him?? The way ACL recovery goes, it just seems hard to believe that W-W will be ready to go full speed at the beginning of the season...leaves an opening at MLB if Cabinda moves outside...

Hudson may just be hanging with the 412 crew, but he did say that he wouldn't visit so yes getting him for the weekend is still a chance for Pitt although I agree slim. For now to many distractions and changes to sustain the buzz. Negative recruiting is hurting and Franklin has to show he can win at a big program. PSU has more fans, support, money ect. It won't matter next September.

Hudson may just be hanging with the 412 crew, but he did say that he wouldn't visit so yes getting him for the weekend is still a chance for Pitt although I agree slim. For now to many distractions and changes to sustain the buzz. Negative recruiting is hurting and Franklin has to show he can win at a big program. PSU has more fans, support, money ect. It won't matter next September.

It won't matter next September.

You are correct.. It will not matter what happens in this September game. Pitt will be 6-6, at best, win or lose!

Can't blame him for taking in a party weekend, now that he has committed. Probably feels like letting off steam.

I can. Recruiting is totally out of hand. The wining and dining of these kids is totally out of hand. Keep in mind these kids are still in high school and probably have homework and exams (Don't laugh).

Odd to see a sPitter actually be overconfident about anything, given their lot in life. Drugs must be flowing freely in Oakland these days.

For the local recruits, Pitt has to be above board and treat the kids with their interest in mind. Hudson is enjoying being with his friends. Narduzzi knows that but things change. Hudson may not like being away or Harbaugh bugs out. Who knows. But you always want to leave every recruit with good feelings about your program. Narduzzi is a seasoned coach who knows that the best approach is staying true to who you are and kids pick up both honesty and BS. In the end, it is all about trust. Pitt will be a pretty good team next year, not sure PSU will be. Way to many moving parts but we will see you in September.

Must be bittersweet knowing that if Narduzzi is the real deal, he'll be gone in an instant. He does seem to be doing OK, so that means his time in Oakland is short.

Maybe there should be windows for official visits, and then coordinate OV times, dead periods, and LOI times in a manner that reduces the chaos. For example, having kids complete their OV within days of the LOI day is crazy. I'd also create a process similar to an early decision process where kids could be guaranteed a scholarship if they accept by an early signing date but kids can only have one early acceptance school. Others not given this offer fall into a general acceptance pool where they may be accepted by multiple colleges and they have to decide which one they choose (this is the current state). Finally, there would be a third class of scholarship offer that is the equivalent of wait listed. In these cases, kids are told that they may have a scholarship depending on how many kids follow through on their general scholarship offers.

For the local recruits, Pitt has to be above board and treat the kids with their interest in mind. Hudson is enjoying being with his friends. Narduzzi knows that but things change. Hudson may not like being away or Harbaugh bugs out. Who knows. But you always want to leave every recruit with good feelings about your program. Narduzzi is a seasoned coach who knows that the best approach is staying true to who you are and kids pick up both honesty and BS. In the end, it is all about trust. Pitt will be a pretty good team next year, not sure PSU will be. Way to many moving parts but we will see you in September.

So cute how RU,Pitt, and PSU still obsess over PSU. Decades go by and they are still just as bitter. Seasoned coach of a year. He ooozes just as much BS as the next guy. Was it about trust for the guys that selected PSU? Your Super Bowl is in September and that is exactly why you are Pitt.

Not flaming but next September Pitt will be the favorite. They are more seasoned and have momentum. Anything can happen but I like Pitt at home. As to recruiting, the board is dead. PSU hasn't recruited anyone of note in four months. Maybe PSU finishes with some nice recruits, but for now not exactly action city here. I think the negative recruiting is hitting home here. Not any scandal stuff, just it appears that your main competition isn't all that worried about PSU.

Not flaming but next September Pitt will be the favorite. They are more seasoned and have momentum. Anything can happen but I like Pitt at home. As to recruiting, the board is dead. PSU hasn't recruited anyone of note in four months. Maybe PSU finishes with some nice recruits, but for now not exactly action city here. I think the negative recruiting is hitting home here. Not any scandal stuff, just it appears that your main competition isn't all that worried about PSU.

Four years of sanctions and bad recruiting are having an impact. O'Brien, for all his accolades, brought in some terrible classes. Regardless, even if Pitt is favored next year, Pitt has little to no chance of winning. PSU has far too many weapons on offense. Franklin knows if he loses this game he'll be under serious heat, which would probably be too much to overcome. I'll be surprised if the final score is within 2 TD's.

Reactions: Ski and bmw199

You call getting blown out by Navy and giving up over 400 yards rushing in the bowl game having momuntum?

Reactions: Ski
Do you actually read what you write? So, negative recruiting is hitting home, but main competition doesn't appear to be worried about PSU? Please explain as those ideas are contradictory. What momentum? Seasoned? What the hell are you talking about?

Do you actually read what you write? So, negative recruiting is hitting home, but main competition doesn't appear to be worried about PSU? Please explain as those ideas are contradictory. What momentum? Seasoned? What the hell are you talking about?

Maybe he is talking about Pitt winning another mythical national championship this year

Reactions: h8ru
Yes easy, Franklin has given those coaches a lot of ammunition to work with. Staff and players deflections. Franklin not beating a ranked team, Never beating anyone as a underdog. You really think Michigan and OSU and MSU are buying Franklin? Really? Yes negative recruiting is being directed at Franklin and his lack of demonstrating any improvement in the program. Pitt lost to a very good Navy team. But they were 5-1 on the road in the regular season. How did yinz do? Franklin has to beat some teams next year. And not just the cupcakes that he lines up as to pad his record. Big difference between using negative recruiting because one has to it as a reason not to consider PSU. The Big Ten east elite use it as selling why Franklin is a lightweight in the scheme of things.

Reactions: Peter_North

Besides your OL, who is good on Pitt? Ollison is ok, a steady back. Whitehead is good at safety. Bunch of ham and eggers make up the rest of the roster.

Maybe he is talking about Pitt winning another mythical national championship this year

They just gave themselves another last night because they had kids OV with them, even though they were already committed to other programs.

All due respect Chet, but what exactly do you see in your program that makes them "more seasoned" or have the momentum advantage? How do the mediocre (at best) recruits in your upper classes, even with decent coaching, translate to being the favorite over a team with similar results of late (but MUCH better recruits)?

Yes easy, Franklin has given those coaches a lot of ammunition to work with. Staff and players deflections. Franklin not beating a ranked team, Never beating anyone as a underdog. You really think Michigan and OSU and MSU are buying Franklin? Really? Yes negative recruiting is being directed at Franklin and his lack of demonstrating any improvement in the program. Pitt lost to a very good Navy team. But they were 5-1 on the road in the regular season. How did yinz do? Franklin has to beat some teams next year. And not just the cupcakes that he lines up as to pad his record. Big difference between using negative recruiting because one has to it as a reason not to consider PSU. The Big Ten east elite use it as selling why Franklin is a lightweight in the scheme of things.
Your whole schedule is cupcakes - how many ranked teams did you play last year - 1 year of Nardog using another coaches recruits and eekes out a mediocre season by our standards anyways and is suddenly someone to be feared - I hardly think so. I have no worries about beating Pitt next year - OSU, MSU and UM are the focus and I don't think we are there yet for the real challenges in our schedule.

Oddly enough Pitt has landed anyone of note at all. Pitt got smoked in their bowl game by a service academy and nobody here is in awe of a Pitt road game.

Pitt has 8 returning offense starters of two and three years is seasoned. Same for D. In addition, a couple transfers and JC DE will add to that. PSU does return some as well, but the QB, DL (3) Two new DB's, and kickers/punters possibly. Many of you thinking that at the very least two new starters in the OL is needed. That is a lot of new players with new coordinators to boot. I am sure PSU will be better as the season progresses but playing Pitt early is an distinct advantage for Pitt at Heinz.

These guys visiting Pitt this weekend, with no intention of going there, just wasted Narduzzi's time and money. The joke's on Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT