ADVERTISEMENT

USC connected to Robert E. Lee?

I won't watch any show featuring Lee Majors.

How much MORE offensive could that name get???
I hope you won't be boycotting Lee Meriwether? Meeeeoooowwww!!!!
9490dacdda5b1f4bc3e9cc9c6a3ddad5--lee-meriwether-batman-.jpg

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
The problem Gregg is that it's not changing the subject. The same people that started this movement to take confederate statues down are the ones that want to remove Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln too.

Can you give me a link to the organizations that want Washington, Jefferson and, Lincoln statues down?

And for some reason this continues to be wilfully ignored but, in all the cases I've seen so far, these groups want the statues removed from gov't property, not destroyed. Not sure why some people think they have a god given right to display confederate statues on gov't property in perpetuity.

Can you give me a link to the organizations that want Washington, Jefferson and, Lincoln statues down?

And for some reason this continues to be wilfully ignored but, in all the cases I've seen so far, these groups want the statues removed from gov't property, not destroyed. Not sure why some people think they have a god given right to display confederate statues on gov't property in perpetuity.
Well, the OP is about people wanting to change the name of the horse that USC uses at games. So anyone who doesn't think its a slippery slope can start with that.

Reactions: bmw199

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/jackson-washington-park-protest-presidents-slave-owners/
Rest assured I will find more. I know they exist, just a bit busy at work. If anyone else can find them, I believe there is a Salon article recently as well.

These confederate statues are in southern states, not in the north, so your analogy for having statues of Hitler in the US is ridiculous. Also, I can tell you that in small town Germany, they do have plaques, memorials, and otherwise honor the local citizens who fought for Hitler in WWII.

First of all, that is 100% not true. There are MANY statues to confederates in the north. Mostly thanks to The Daughters of the Confederacy but also politicians.
Look no further than the US Capitol for Confederate statues. As a resident of Brooklyn, there was one in my own Borough. The statues in the US Capitol are the most sickening to me.

And my analogy is apt considering Nazi statues and flags are outlawed in Germany.

There are over 100 buildings in WV named after former klansman and his wife. All paid for w/ federal tax dollars btw. When are they going to change the names of these buildings?

Well, the OP is about people wanting to change the name of the horse that USC uses at games. So anyone who doesn't think its a slippery slope can start with that.

Seems someone it taking liberty with the facts. It was mentioned by one person a USCs Black Student Assembly that white supremacy hits close to home and then mentioned the name of USCs horse. The article said it was debated on social media with the majority concluding it was a reach to make this connection. The university also chimed in stating Traveler is not an uncommon name for a horse and that it isn't even spelled the same as Lee's horse. I didn't see any effort from any group to have the name of the horse changed. The only people mentioning an effort to change the name are people making the slippery slope argument.

Also, while we're ripping down statues, why doesn't anyone have a problem with a giant lenin statue in Portland? The guy killed quite a few innocent people, yet he's celebrated for some reason.

lenin_statue_large.jpg

Reactions: bmw199
There are over 100 buildings in WV named after former klansman and his wife. All paid for w/ federal tax dollars btw. When are they going to change the names of these buildings?

Why is this concept so difficult for some to understand?

Those who are trying to defend the honoring of confederate officers keep trying to use slavery and white supremacy as a red herring.

While there may be some (very far fringe and/or lone idiots) who will claim to want to remove additional statues, etc., the legitimate push is for the removal of flags, statues, and other symbols honoring (i.e. for the sake of glorifying, not just teaching history like you would see in a museum) the confederacy and those who lead the confederacy.

That's it.

There's no "slippery slope" argument here. That's it. Stop with the ridiculous red herring whataboutisms. It just makes you look desperate in trying to find some way to defend the honoring of traitor-ism -- Something I don't understand why you would even want to do, but that's your prerogative.

Why is this concept so difficult for some to understand?

Those who are trying to defend the honoring of confederate officers keep trying to use slavery and white supremacy as a red herring.

While there may be some (very far fringe and/or lone idiots) who will claim to want to remove additional statues, etc., the legitimate push is for the removal of flags, statues, and other symbols honoring (i.e. for the sake of glorifying, not just teaching history like you would see in a museum) the confederacy and those who lead the confederacy.

That's it.

There's no "slippery slope" argument here. That's it. Stop with the ridiculous red herring whataboutisms. It just makes you look desperate in trying to find some way to defend the honoring of traitor-ism -- Something I don't understand why you would even want to do, but that's your prerogative.
Funny this wasn't an issue in October of last year. What could it be that is causing people to want to make money and power from this issue ?

Also, while we're ripping down statues, why doesn't anyone have a problem with a giant lenin statue in Portland? The guy killed quite a few innocent people, yet he's celebrated for some reason.

lenin_statue_large.jpg

Swing and a miss MtNittany.

It's in Seattle, not Portland. It is privately owned and displayed on private property. It's also not a tribute to Lenin but more of a joke in an artistic neighborhood, whose motto is Libertas Quirkas, freedom to be peculiar. . A glowing Soviet-style red star or Christmas lights have been added to the statue during the holiday season since 2004. For the 2004 Solstice Parade, the statue was made to look like John Lennon. During Gay Pride Week, the statue is dressed in drag. The statue's hands are often painted, and re-painted, red to protest the perceived glorification of a historical villain that supposedly has blood on his hands.The Taco del Mar restaurant, one of the retail property's tenants, constructed a monumental-scale burrito wrapped in foil for the statue to hold, which one Fremont publisher said did not turn out as intended, but rather "looked like a doobie.

traitor-ism
??

Traitorism?
There is a significant secessionist movement in California presently. Should we round them up and try them for treason? The arguments I hear for taking the statues down has everything to do about the statues being a symbol of white supremacy. The only traitor arguments I have heard have been on this board.

It's in Seattle, not Portland. It is privately owned and displayed on private property. It's also not a tribute to Lenin but more of a joke in an artistic neighborhood, whose motto is Libertas Quirkas, freedom to be peculiar. . A glowing Soviet-style red star or Christmas lights have been added to the statue during the holiday season since 2004. For the 2004 Solstice Parade, the statue was made to look like John Lennon. During Gay Pride Week, the statue is dressed in drag. The statue's hands are often painted, and re-painted, red to protest the perceived glorification of a historical villain that supposedly has blood on his hands.The Taco del Mar restaurant, one of the retail property's tenants, constructed a monumental-scale burrito wrapped in foil for the statue to hold, which one Fremont publisher said did not turn out as intended, but rather "looked like a doobie.
Yeah, but other than that, he nailed it.

As recently as the last 15-20 years, my cousin - who is a HS science teacher - started her career in a somewhat rural region of North Carolina. She has since moved on, but at that time, her district's history curriculum referred to the Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression."

So yeah, there is still a bit of a grudge being held in many deep pockets of the South.

you should read the inscriptions on the "Civil War" statues outside the capitol building in Austin, TX lol

Hey! Malcolm Gladwell sort of covered this a bit in a recent Revisionist History podcast. It's not necessarily the subject of the podcast (the idea of 'generous orthodoxy' is...), but is brought up in reference to Princeton and it's Wilson School. Worth a listen...

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/09-generous-orthodoxy

A pastor officiates at the wedding of his son—under ordinary circumstances, an affirmation of family and community. But what if the son is gay? And what if the pastor belongs to the most traditional of religious communities?

“Generous Orthodoxy” is the story of Chester Wenger, a 98-year-old Mennonite minister who chose to confront his own church over a question of deepest principle. It asks: What do you do when the institution that has defined your life comes between you and your family? Wenger offers all of us a master class in the art of dissent.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Funny this wasn't an issue in October of last year. What could it be that is causing people to want to make money and power from this issue ?

Who cares? The timing is irrelevant. Should have happened the day after they were stood up, but for whatever reason, it didn't. Any time is a good time, and sooner is better than later.

??

Traitorism?
There is a significant secessionist movement in California presently. Should we round them up and try them for treason?

I don't know if we should round them up and try them for treason, but I do know that we at least shouldn't erect statues to honor them! Certainly you would agree, no?

Well, I find it offensive. Tear it down.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
All below were slave owners:

Charles Carroll Maryland
Samuel Chase Maryland
Benjamin Franklin Pennsylvania
Button Gwinnett Georgia
John Hancock Massachusetts
Patrick Henry Virginia
John Jay New York
Thomas Jefferson Virginia
Richard Henry Lee Virginia
James Madison Virginia
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney South Carolina
Benjamin Rush Pennsylvania
Edward Rutledge South Carolina
George Washington Virginia

2 things:

1 Should we then rip their rotting, decomposing corpses out of their graves and send them to whoever wants them to fully rid this "stain upon our land"?

2 I am personally nominating you to go to every school district in every county of our great country and "adjust" the history books to your liking. At your expense.

Tear all their statues and monuments down where they exist, and rename our Capital.

Last edited:
Well, I'm going to put what are likely my final thoughts on this here. If a community wants to take down a statue then they should, if they want to leave it up, they should. If there is irrefutable evidence that an individual statue went up to intimidate other citizens in the community, by all means bring the class action suit and have it torn down. By any of those routes it's up to the community where it resides and yahoos from all over the country should NOT descend on those places to cause mayhem. Make no mistake those that really want to push this statue issue have ulterior nefarious motives. Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt, and Rizzo (as a local example) are next on their docket. It will be interesting to see if those supporting the confederate statue removal stand up to those flanking them on the left.

All in all there is only one statue I want to see returned, and I am guessing we all agree on that.
1AA-Joe-Paterno-Statue.jpg

LOL, thanks. Thats pretty funny stuff. I'd love to see the statue in "drag". LOL.

On the other hand I find the rebel and southern flag very offensive and I hate seeing it displayed, especially outside of houses in the North.
Seeing that leaves me shaking my head as well. I live in western PA and know a small number of people who fly the confederate battle flag outside their houses. The families have no connection to the south whatsoever. What makes them fly a flag which has never represented them? I think it's because that particular rebel flag has morphed into a romantic symbol of self-reliance and a "you can't tell me what to do" attitude. They have no idea what the real history of that flag is or why it's offensive to so many people.

Who cares? The timing is irrelevant. Should have happened the day after they were stood up, but for whatever reason, it didn't. Any time is a good time, and sooner is better than later.
Do you really think this is going to lower racism in the USA?

I mean, from my standpiont, why not get rid of them? It doesn't change my life one way or the other.

Fact is, we are being manipulated. KKK marched last summer and nobody cared. Why do they march? to make money. But there are so few KKK members, like Westboro Baptist Church. If nobody cares, they'll go away. So why does somebody care? Revenue opportunity.

the left gets their press to do their work or cut off, the right does the same. The goal is to inflame. It creates clicks, eyes, advertisers and donations. that's what they want, both the left and the right. It is, for the most part, a zero sum game. The left and right are like two planets orbiting eachother; they exist because they both exist. And when we stop being emotional about it, they will have lost their power.

Well, I'm going to put what are likely my final thoughts on this here. If a community wants to take down a statue then they should, if they want to leave it up, they should. If there is irrefutable evidence that an individual statue went up to intimidate other citizens in the community, by all means bring the class action suit and have it torn down. By any of those routes it's up to the community where it resides and yahoos from all over the country should NOT descend on those places to cause mayhem. Make no mistake those that really want to push this statue issue have ulterior nefarious motives. Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt, and Rizzo (as a local example) are next on their docket. It will be interesting to see if those supporting the confederate statue removal stand up to those flanking them on the left.
All in all there is only one statue I want to see returned, and I am guessing we all agree on that.

No they aren't.

??

Traitorism?
There is a significant secessionist movement in California presently. Should we round them up and try them for treason? The arguments I hear for taking the statues down has everything to do about the statues being a symbol of white supremacy. The only traitor arguments I have heard have been on this board.

There is? Perhaps it hinges on what you would define as "significant." There was a dude who was pushing a ballot initiative (they call them "Propositions" here in California) in which California voters could indicate their support or opposition to the state seceding from the Union. But that fell flatter than a pancake, and the dude who was pushing it decided to relocate to Russia. (Surprise!)

Alternatively, some residents of rural California (which is just as red as Pennsyltucky) support dividing up California into two states: a coastal state composed of largely blue voters, and an inland state of largely red voters. These nutjobs refer to the inland state as "Jefferson." While driving Interstate 80 back and forth between the Bay Area and Tahoe, I have seen one or two signs (posted in rural backyards abutting the highway) referring to "Jefferson." They never fail to amuse me.

Reactions: BBrown
Do you really think this is going to lower racism in the USA?
I mean, from my standpiont, why not get rid of them? It doesn't change my life one way or the other.
Fact is, we are being manipulated. KKK marched last summer and nobody cared. Why do they march? to make money. But there are so few KKK members, like Westboro Baptist Church. If nobody cares, they'll go away. So why does somebody care? Revenue opportunity.
the left gets their press to do their work or cut off, the right does the same. The goal is to inflame. It creates clicks, eyes, advertisers and donations. that's what they want, both the left and the right. It is, for the most part, a zero sum game. The left and right are like two planets orbiting eachother; they exist because they both exist. And when we stop being emotional about it, they will have lost their power.

Racism aside they should be destroyed. Just last week, someone on the test board was talking about how the south maybe should have won and maybe this country wasn't meant to be one. That maybe the south was right.

That thinking is dangerous in my opinion and more pervasive than you think. It is VERY pervasive in the south. The confederate symbols and rewriting of history give them something to rally around. They pretend the war was about states rights, when i was about nothing more than slavery. Tear down their statues, outlaw their flags.

...Tear down their statues, outlaw their flags.
Penalty for ownership of a confederate flag in your world? More, less, or about the same as rioting, torching storefronts, and trashing police cars?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT