ADVERTISEMENT

What needs to happen to become elite:

RTRMR

Oct 14, 2018
1. Fire Rahne- he’s had 23 games to show improvement, and NOTHING!
2. Switch Defensive scheme - I’m tired of soft zone, and CBs playing 7-10 yards off of the LOS! Our D is consistently gashed by a 5th string transfer from IUP, because of our lousy Defensive scheme. I’d take Narduzzi’s scheme in a second over ours.
3. End the RPO immediately! This offense has lost us more close games, then it has won us!
4. See #2! Put Pry in a short leash! If you don’t stop getting picked apart by 7th string QBs.....buh-Bye!!!
5. Have the new OC design plays to get playmakers in space!
6. Have a feature stud RB, that gets 20 carries/game!
7. Implement OL zone blocking on certain plays, to get said stud RB(s) in space.
8. Don’t play down to our opponents/keep your foot on the gas! Ohio State would hang 50+ on these clowns we played today(and only allow 10-13, because the don’t play pu$$y-esque soft zone)!
9. Give Franklin endless funds to hire competent assistants! He has 3-4 years to make the playoffs, or he’s gone. I don’t care about anything else, his #1 priority is to win!

I agree with getting rid of the RPO.

Other than that, I think we are fine as a program. Franklin is 39-10 over the last four seasons. In the four seasons before that we were 29-21. It is undeniable that he righted the ship. Yes, he is more of a Mark Richt than a Nick Saban, but I'll take it.

You aren’t scrapping this entire offense going into next year. After next year if they don’t make playoffs, sure. But next year has always been the year for this group. It’s why Stevens got the hook. It just so happened to advance quicker than anyone thought. Even the staff knew this was a growing season before the year. They would have taken 10-2 NY6 in a heartbeat along with recognition team has received this year.

Reactions: hotmetal
In order to become ELITE, a team needs to pull out wins on a day like today, where they were outcoached, outschemed, outplayed, yet had the ball on the 2yd line with a minute to play, TD wins it.

An ELITE team doesn’t take a delay of game penalty inside the 5 yd line.

An ELITE team doesn’t down the ball inside the 10 yd line with 19 seconds left and a timeout in their pocket.

2. Switch Defensive scheme - I’m tired of soft zone, and CBs playing 7-10 yards off of the LOS! Our D is consistently gashed by a 5th string transfer from IUP, because of our lousy Defensive scheme. I’d take Narduzzi’s scheme in a second over ours.
3. End the RPO immediately! This offense has lost us more close games, then it has won us!
4. See #2! Put Pry in a short leash! If you don’t stop getting picked apart by 7th string QBs.....buh-Bye!!!
7. Implement OL zone blocking on certain plays, to get said stud RB(s) in space.
8. Don’t play down to our opponents/keep your foot on the gas! Ohio State would hang 50+ on these clowns we played today(and only allow 10-13, because the don’t play pu$$y-esque soft zone)!
9. Give Franklin endless funds to hire competent assistants! He has 3-4 years to make the playoffs, or he’s gone. I don’t care about anything else, his #1 priority is to win!
Get more elite fans instead of whiny, bitchy know-it-all pussies.

I don't think we need to "scrap the RPO" to have a running game. Even some I-formation teams in the B1G have RPOs in their playbook. The run option, or giving the appearance of a run, really helps short passes over the middle. The TD to Bowers was such a play, and it was beautifully executed. I see it as an advancement to the old "play action" pass that was designed to "hold linebackers."

My problem with the run game is that it lacks variety and is slow developing, almost as if every run is a draw play that starts from the same place. It's been that way since the arrival of Moorhead. This is what puts pressure on our passing game, and indirectly on our defense.

There's no reason we can't have a bigger play book for the run game. That is the biggest disappointment for me. Don't like Rahne's play calls? Clifford and/or the receivers are a little off? What is our alternative when this happens? Hope for good weather?

Consider the limited options we have for running the football. Who's fault is this?

Reactions: TheGLOV
I don't think we need to "scrap the RPO" to have a running game. Even some I-formation teams in the B1G have RPOs in their playbook. The run option, or giving the appearance of a run, really helps short passes over the middle. The TD to Bowers was such a play, and it was beautifully executed. I see it as an advancement to the old "play action" pass that was designed to "hold linebackers."

My problem with the run game is that it lacks variety and is slow developing, almost as if every run is a draw play that starts from the same place. It's been that way since the arrival of Moorhead. This is what puts pressure on our passing game, and indirectly on our defense.

There's no reason we can't have a bigger play book for the run game. That is the biggest disappointment for me. Don't like Rahne's play calls? Clifford and/or the receivers are a little off? What is our alternative when this happens? Hope for good weather?

Consider the limited options we have for running the football. Who's fault is this?

Agreed!

Typical immature fanboy overreactions. “Fire everybody!”. Hey, don’t you think the other team played a perfect game and deserved the win? “No, fire Rahne! Fire Pry! “

Other than that, I think we are fine as a program. Franklin is 39-10 over the last four seasons. In the four seasons before that we were 29-21. It is undeniable that he righted the ship. Yes, he is more of a Mark Richt than a Nick Saban, but I'll take it.
SABAN lost yesterday

Reactions: colt21

What offense you going to sport? Pro?

Reactions: bmw199
Typical immature fanboy overreactions. “Fire everybody!”. Hey, don’t you think the other team played a perfect game and deserved the win? “No, fire Rahne! Fire Pry! “
You’ve seen the track record of these 2, right?
Rahne’s play calling is a continual WTF?????
Pry’s pu$$y soft zone allows QBs like yesterday to light up our defense!
Are you happy with the status quo?

Get more elite fans instead of whiny, bitchy know-it-all pussies.
Why the name calling? Read above, I don’t resort to that!
You happy with the status quo?
Cuz, I sure as hell ain’t!
I see perennial 2-3 loss seasons if MAJOR changes aren’t made.

Reactions: wcg207
You’d think this was the third loss of the year to a less than .500 team. The same sad sacks complaining are the ones that were telling me back in August we didn’t have a chance at double digit wins. Now all of a sudden we have to fire everyone and get a new scheme. Btw, is OSU elite? The Purdue and Iowa teams they lost definitely weren’t elite the last two years. How about 5 years ago when they lost to VT at home? How’d that season end for them?

Why the name-calling? I NEVER resort to it?
Are you happy with the status quo?
Yes I am happy with where the program is at. Posters like you only get vocal after a loss. The thing is you sure as sh!t were not on this site predicting an undefeated season this year so loudly in August or prior. You’re an emotional bore and those fans suck. Losses occur and this was an undefeated team we lost to on the road. It happens.

Dabo took 9 years to win a MNC, you would have tossed him after year 5. You babble about the RPO but don’t talk about what offense you want and why it is so dominant in college football. 3 picks, 4-5 really bad dropped balls. 2-3 really bad passes. Poor tackling by some good players lost the game. Maybe this unites this team and they win 3 straight to close out. If not they are looking at 10-2 for a young team. Woe is me.

We all want to see PSU win every game, you aren’t above anyone here in that regard. Some of us can process things better than you but then again you could have your own little development issues so maybe it should be pity we feel for you.

Yes I am happy with where the program is at. Posters like you only get vocal after a loss. The thing is you sure as sh!t were not on this site predicting an undefeated season this year so loudly in August or prior. You’re an emotional bore and those fans suck. Losses occur and this was an undefeated team we lost to on the road. It happens.

Dabo took 9 years to win a MNC, you would have tossed him after year 5. You babble about the RPO but don’t talk about what offense you want and why it is so dominant in college football. 3 picks, 4-5 really bad dropped balls. 2-3 really bad passes. Poor tackling by some good players lost the game. Maybe this unites this team and they win 3 straight to close out. If not they are looking at 10-2 for a young team. Woe is me.

We all want to see PSU win every game, you aren’t above anyone here in that regard. Some of us can process things better than you but then again you could have your own little development issues so maybe it should be pity we feel for you.
We’ll agree to disagree.
I like Franklin, I really do.
BUT, if he doesn’t change some things ASAP, we’re staring perennial disappointment right in the face.

We’ll agree to disagree.
I like Franklin, I really do.
BUT, if he doesn’t change some things ASAP, we’re staring perennial disappointment right in the face.
What offense do you want? No answer? You weren’t even on this board so vocally until yesterday.

What offense do you want? No answer?
I want one that doesn’t leave me scratching my head after every game.
I’m fine with mixing an RPO, or zone read once in a while, but NOT as a primary offense.
I’d love to actually run Minnesota’s offense.
Single read, with an occasional dual read, and designed run plays(as opposed to the QB getting demolished in the backfield). Throw in 3-4 screens per game, and ta da....our offense has some semblance!
9 games into this season, and we have no offensive identity!
This crap we’re running know makes it really easy for opponents to game plan us.
I greatly respect your opinion, but our offensive scheme is a train wreck!
Oh, and I just joined the board last year! I’ve been vocal from day 1, sooooooooo......??????

I’m fine with mixing an RPO, or zone read once in a while, but NOT as a primary offense.
Single read, with an occasional dual read, and designed run plays(as opposed to the QB getting demolished in the backfield). Throw in 3-4 screens per game, and ta da....our offense has some semblance!
This crap we’re running know makes it really easy for opponents to game plan us.
Oh, and I just joined the board last year! I’ve been vocal from day 1, sooooooooo......??????
Good to know, you basically want the same offense but no losses. Great. You weren’t missed the 2 decades prior as your act was done by better.

Reactions: bison13

SO you want to run Minnesota's offense? The one that ran a ton of RPOs and had 2 running plays (inside and outside zone). OK. Or should we just switch to the offense that wins each week?

You realize we had 518 yds of offense yesterday (more than the RPO running Minnesota offense). We also outrushed Minnesota by a good margin. Yes, the 3 TOs hurt. But so did the defense.

In order to become ELITE, a team needs to pull out wins on a day like today, where they were outcoached, outschemed, outplayed, yet had the ball on the 2yd line with a minute to play, TD wins it.

An ELITE team doesn’t take a delay of game penalty inside the 5 yd line.

An ELITE team doesn’t down the ball inside the 10 yd line with 19 seconds left and a timeout in their pocket.

We did not have the ball on the 2 with a minute left.

C’mon folks.

Why the name calling? Read above, I don’t resort to that!
You happy with the status quo?
Cuz, I sure as hell ain’t!
I see perennial 2-3 loss seasons if MAJOR changes aren’t made.
I’m happy with the path of the program. Being a perennial 2-3 loss team would put us behind only OSU, Alabama and Clemson. I’ve got some news for you. Maintaining that isn’t going to be easy. I’m hoping like everyone that we can get to an elite level but we may not

Fans needs to realize that other blue blood programs are also battling to get to elite. As good as our recruiting has been, it’s still not in the top ten. And that’s with a coach who is a great recruiter.

To the likely national championship team.
Likely ?? Still somewhat (a little) longshot but Jim and UM might have something to say about that. Most of the likely playoff teams DO NOT want UM in the playoffs after seeing the roll that UM is on the last few weeks. Absolutely destroying everything in its path. The Wolverine has been released in Michigan Football

1. More incentive$ to high 4 and 5 star recruits.
  2. Higher salaries to attract better assistants.
  3. Relax academic/character standards.
  4. Move to the ACC.
Seems to have worked for Clemson.

Find coaches who have idea what it takes to get to the the top. Im pretty sure none of our coaches have been on staffs that played for a National title

Reactions: wcg207
To be elite we need an elite head coach and elite assistants to begin with. I'll leave it at that, draw your own conclusions, I don't need a barrage of nasty name calling posters attacking me today with everything but a factual reasoned response.

You realize not one single point you made had anything to do with getting elite talent? To become elite PSU needs more elite players, it's not complicated. We need a few more WR's, better CBs and better safety's. If we had them yesterday, in spite of all the sloppy play, we win the game. PSU had over 500 yards in offense and 25 first downs; the defense did a pretty good job on slowing down the run game. We had two god awful plays in pass coverage that resulted in long TDs and that was the ball game.

Reactions: 81b&w and bmw199
I’m happy with the path of the program. Being a perennial 2-3 loss team would put us behind only OSU, Alabama and Clemson. I’ve got some news for you. Maintaining that isn’t going to be easy. I’m hoping like everyone that we can get to an elite level but we may not

Fans needs to realize that other blue blood programs are also battling to get to elite. As good as our recruiting has been, it’s still not in the top ten. And that’s with a coach who is a great recruiter.

So the answer is for PSU fans to lower expectations? Sounds like Joe after he stayed 10 years too long.

Question: Is that what we did with the wrestling program? Did we keep our lowered expectations or did we bring in an elite coach who got it done?

The basketball program has suffered under this same lowered expectations malady for how many years now?

You realize not one single point you made had anything to do with getting elite talent? To become elite PSU needs more elite players, it's not complicated. We need a few more WR's, better CBs and better safety's. If we had them yesterday, in spite of all the sloppy play, we win the game. PSU had over 500 yards in offense and 25 first downs; the defense did a pretty good job on slowing down the run game. We had two god awful plays in pass coverage that resulted in long TDs and that was the ball game.

Absolutely this.

It’s not hard. This blue chip ratio crap misleads, because it treats all blue chippers equally. We need Justin Shorter to play to his potential. We need DTs that can get penetration consistently. We need guys like Rucci in the O-line. And we need big and athletic DBs. Ohio State has that. We have a few game-changing talents — Parsons, Hamler, eventually Ford/Cain, etc. But we lag considerably behind Ohio State and LSU and Clemson in that department.

We need more classes in the top-5. It’s amazing how that kind of talent makes coaches look a whole lot better.

Reactions: 81b&w and Nitt1300
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT