ADVERTISEMENT

Shots fired by crybaby Manning

Complaining about low match counts in an Olympic year seems misguided to me.
Also, the argument that Starocci’s low match count deprived us of the ability to watch him as much this year is ridiculous, especially when this argument stems from someone complaining that their guy lost an opportunity. By Starocci not taking the mat a few times this season, we were able to witness one of PSU’s other wrestlers (Barraclough) capitalize on the their opportunity and beat a top ten wrestler as well as almost beat a prior national champ. That was a highlight of the season for many of us.

Wilson had an opportunity to qualify for nationals through placing at the conference tournament. He didn’t capitalize on that opportunity. His season prior to that didn’t earn him a wild card. Starocci’s did.

As I said above, it doesn't seem like the at-large system is broken in this case as much as the AQ system. Brody Baumann, as a 10 seed, was guaranteed a top 8 spot & AQ before the tournament even started given that Starocci was defaulting (and got it despite not winning a single match at the tournament). Or, more accurately, the loser of the 7-10 match was guaranteed an AQ, but the winner wasn't. Max Maylor was the 7 seed. He beat Baumann then lost to Griffith in the quarters and had to beat DJ Washington in a blood round match to earn his spot (which he did, but that's not a gimme). That system is broken.

yeah, i goofed that up.

i thought Carter didn't allocate (b/c of low match count) but he did.

which means someone else from the B1G (Brody Baumann) got that spot, but he also took a WC.

the larger point is not that Cael or Carter or PSU did anything wrong, it's that the process is ass.
All of this because the 34th guy got left out, even after a softer conf tourney than he would have had if Star wrestled. Makes sense.

You can be upset at the rules and the low match counts but none of it has anything to do with Manning going to Twitter and accusing Cael of cheating 7 years ago.
Yeah I'm confused. He came here to call us out for ridiculing Manning for a dumb tweet then admits it was a dumb tweet. I think there is some degree of backpedaling here, but in the end I think we can all agree that Mark Manning is an incredible butthead (just kidding not really).

yeah, i goofed that up.

which means someone else from the B1G (Brody Baumann) got that spot, but he also took a WC.

the larger point is not that Cael or Carter or PSU did anything wrong, it's that the process is ass.
You realize this thread isn’t about the “process.” The process here isn’t in question.

This is about a head coach blatantly throwing out accusations of “gamesmanship” against PSU. If that’s what he believes, he should have kept it to himself. But to put it out in public, he should have had his facts straight. OR be a bigger man and apologize for throwing out his assumption as facts

yeah, i goofed that up.

So the bottom line is that Manning is angry that Wilson didn't place higher than Brody Baumann, who is a 12-14 RS frosh. Maybe Wilson should have just beaten Baumann in their dual and he would have had the favorable seed instead of Brody? Head to head (where Wilson lost) is the reason Baumann was higher than Wilson anyway.

Baumann definitely benefitted in a really absurd way (and this is where the "process is ass" argument is accurate). He lost his opening 7-10 matchup, then got a bye in Consi1 (R16) from the 2-15 match and an inury default in Consi2 (blood round R12) to get a top 8 place without winning a single match then lost in Consi3 and the 7-8 match, so he qualified for an AQ as the 8th place with the benefit of two "byes" and without winning a match. Must be nice, LOL.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT