ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

I think Conliffe is a beast and he would be my take if only one spot were open, FWIW.

I will add Tariq Castro-Fields is an absolute baller as well

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
Wade is trolling the shit out of the Pitt fans. Haha

Five-star cornerback Lamont Wade is a week away from enrolling at Penn State, but the Clairton (Pa.) High standout is not resting when it comes to recruiting.

Not his, mind you, but making sure he is in the ear of recruits, and there is one Scout 100 safety he is talking to a lot.

"Paris Ford," Wade told Scout national recruiting analyst Corey Bender at the Under Armour All-American game. "I am staying in Paris' ear. Hopefully, he'll flip."

Lamont Wade

5'10.5" / 180 lbs
Analysis
Wade is being recruited as a running back and cornerback, and it is easy to see why. He is a tremendous athlete with an ability to change direction and get to full speed in a few steps. He has acceleration and balance, and the ability to out-run a secondary or catch up to a receiver. He is elusive as a running back and physical as a cornerback. He tracks the ball well and makes big plays all over the field. -- Brian Dohn

CLOSE

It is a large task to flip Ford, who is committed to Pittsburgh more than 14 months ago. However, Ford, who played at Munhall (Pa.) Steel Valley, and Wade know each other from the western Pennsylvania prep scene.

Getting Ford to join Wade in Penn State's secondary would be a huge coup. Wade moves in at Penn State on Jan. 6, and he figures to make a quick impact in the secondary.

"I could be a player that can be on any receiver, that can shut down a receiver and take away that side of the field," the 5-foot-10 1/2, 180-pound Wade told Bender. "Or, I could be at safety and be over the top and filling lanes and coming down and tackle well.

"They will probably throw me in as a nickel. Then, I will probably move around as a safety or a corner."

Wade chose Penn State over West Virginia and UCLA, and he will wear a familiar number with the Nittany Lions.

"No. 38," he told Bender. "My grandad had that number. He always wanted to see me play high school football and he passed away in August of my freshman year so he never got to see me play. I have it tatooed on my arm as well."

He is also looking forward to getting into Penn State's offseason program.

"I'm excited," he said. "I'm excited to be on a college lifting regimen, and the workout routines, so I really can't wait."

As Wade said after his Dec. 17 commitment, how he meshed with the Penn State staff was a key factor in his decision.

""Relationships. My relationships with the coaching staff put them over the top," Wade told Bender. "I love the environment, everything.

"(Assistant) coach Terry (Smith) is where I am from, and we came from similar backgrounds. I know he'll look out for me."

Reactions: TheGLOV
I dont really want Ford, because I think we are better off getting Proctor, Conliffe or Castro-Fields from a needs standpoint, but the combo of Wade, Ford and Sanders would bode very very well for the recruitment of a certain 2018 recruit from the Quips

john-lennon-begging-o.gif

I dont really want Ford, because I think we are better off getting Proctor, Conliffe or Castro-Fields from a needs standpoint, but the combo of Wade, Ford and Sanders would bode very very well for the recruitment of a certain 2018 recruit from the Quips

Take them all.....I love defense! Pitt stinks at defense.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
https://bwi.rivals.com/news/ua-all-america-game-three-hot-teams-from-thursday-s-action

We look at three programs that are off to a good start at Under Armour All-America week.

Penn State only has two committed players suited up and participating in the game but on Thursday both had great showings. Wade, the nation’s No. 1 ranked cornerback, was very physical during one-on-one drills, matching up with bigger wide receivers and more than holding his own. He is a controversial figure because of his size and ranking, but the Nittany Lions are getting a future star. Thorpe was also impressive in his own right, looking good while tossing defensive linemen aside during one-on-ones.

Aubrey Solomon, 5* DT from GA, getting a ton of CBs to Bama and as a result Conliffe has picked up a few to PSU as there will be no room at Bama. Pretty awesome

Aubrey Solomon, 5* DT from GA, getting a ton of CBs to Bama and as a result Conliffe has picked up a few to PSU as there will be no room at Bama. Pretty awesome

Yea, we were hoping it would play out this way.. and looks like we are getting our New Year's gift! Would be a huge get.

Yea, we were hoping it would play out this way.. and looks like we are getting our New Year's gift! Would be a huge get.

I think he turns out to be the best player in our class. And watching FSU, LSU, Bama and Clemson this past week has made it clear their difference is depth and talent of the DLs

I think he turns out to be the best player in our class. And watching FSU, LSU, Bama and Clemson this past week has made it clear their difference is depth and talent of the DLs

Conliffe would be the most important get in a great class, IMHO.

So what's the deal? We have room for him? Or is it just one more spot, period, and it belongs to either him or Conliffe?

And if it's neither, do we flip Proctor?

Or are we full?
Right now, what I've seen indicates that there's one spot available and it belongs to the first of either Conliffe or Castro-Fields. At max, though, there appears to be room for only about three more (so Conliffe, Castro-Fields and Proctor, potentially) regardless of how many players leave just from a scholarship management perspective.

But we're already over 85, no? So it seems that we are already taking into account some folks leaving.

So what's the deal? We have room for him? Or is it just one more spot, period, and it belongs to either him or Conliffe?

And if it's neither, do we flip Proctor?

Or are we full?

I may be wrong but the walk-ons are given annual renewable scholarships, so that may come into play. With the high-profile QB recruits on the horizon, I can see one of the current backups transferring. Maybe a running back or former running back. We also have at least three punters on the roster, maybe four, and seem solid at that position for the next 2-3 years. Certainly don't need more than two punters on scholarship.

Good. We should have as good an idea as we'll get about the scholarship situation by that point.

Conliffe officialled this fall - is he planning on coming back for an unofficial before signing day?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT