ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

Don't understand recruits like Conliffe, Proctor, and Castro-Fields that schedule so many of their OVs in January. Their choices for schools really start to dry up quickly as classes become full. I know some schools will "make room" but not all will.
To each their own......but I think it makes a lot of sense to OV in January (not long ago it was the norm)

1 - In the fall, the kids are not only busy with school, but also with their HS teams

2 - If you OV in the fall, the coaches are already 24/7 busy with each week's game - - - doesn't it make more sense to visit when you can have (relatively) each other's "undivided attention"?

3 - By January, after the first HS semester is over, the kids (and coaches) will know if there are likely to be any "grades issues" vav enrollment......for those programs that care about such things :)

To each their own......but I think it makes a lot of sense to OV in January (not long ago it was the norm)

1 - In the fall, the kids are not only busy with school, but also with their HS teams

2 - If you OV in the fall, the coaches are already 24/7 busy with each week's game - - - doesn't it make more sense to visit when you can have (relatively) each other's "undivided attention"?

3 - By January, after the first HS semester is over, the kids (and coaches) will know if there are likely to be any "grades issues" vav enrollment......for those programs that care about such things :)

OK then, let's take Castro-Fields situation then. Has final four of Penn State, Alabama, Maryland, and Virginia Tech.

Penn State - 18 commits (most likely full)
Alabama - 25 commits (most likely full or close to it)
Maryland - 27 commits (most likely full)
Virginia Tech - 19 commits (no idea)

So out of the 4 schools he's most interested in, 3 are most likely full and cannot take him. You can say they'll make room for him, but I guarantee you have no facts to back that up. Am I right?

Tell me again why waiting until January to take your OVs is a good idea, because it appears his chances for 3 of his 4 favorites may be OBE.

Last edited:
OK then, let's take Castro-Fields situation then. Has final four of Penn State, Alabama, Maryland, and Virginia Tech.

So out of the 4 schools he's most interested in, 3 are most likely full and cannot take him. You can say they'll make room for him, but I guarantee you have no facts to back that up. Am I right?

Tell me again why waiting until January to take your OVs is a good idea, because it appears his chances for 3 of his 4 favorites may be OBE.
You're confounding two ENTIRELY different topics :)
Official Visits and Verbal Commitments

I'd be willing to bet PSU has several guys in that "18" who haven't yet taken an OV to PSU......and certainly some of that 18 will be taking OVs somewhere in January
Same for every other school on the country

(Not to mention, I'd bet that every program that you listed as "full" will be signing at least one kid - probably several - who are not currently on the "list")

Next?

If Michigan was one of his finalists, Jimmy would just dump one of his lower rated verbals. Problem solved.

You're confounding two ENTIRELY different topics :)
Official Visits and Verbal Commitments

I'd be willing to bet PSU has several guys in that "18" who haven't yet taken an OV to PSU......and certainly some of that 18 will be taking OVs somewhere in January
Same for every other school on the country

(Not to mention, I'd bet that every program that you listed as "full" will be signing at least one kid - probably several - who are not currently on the "list")

Next?

If there are no spots, what' the point of wasting an OV for either side? That's my point.

So, still no facts yet? Just that "you're willing to bet"? I'll wait for facts.

Guess, then, you disagree with Smails and Hotmetal that PSU could be full.

Next?

We are already over 85, correct?

88 I think.
Not counting Smith or Davis or any other walk on that earned a scholarship. We have 17 spots open for next year from recruits. we have 18 commits.
I'm sure Franklin wants to renew Smith, Davis and anyone else he gave a scholarship to (not sure if there is anyone else). Is that how you get to 88? Those scholarships I believe are only technically for one year, unless there is room again the next year.

Not counting Smith or Davis or any other walk on that earned a scholarship. We have 17 spots open for next year from recruits. we have 18 commits.
I'm sure Franklin wants to renew Smith, Davis and anyone else he gave a scholarship to (not sure if there is anyone else). Is that how you get to 88? Those scholarships I believe are only technically for one year, unless there is room again the next year.
I guess. I was just going off of what somebody who knows about the numbers said. I think it was you so wtf are you asking me for?:)

It's really tough. MLB is a position of need so we could really benefit from Smith returning next year. Davis won the Vlade award as the NCAA's most accurate kicker but how can you afford 2 scholarship kickers (Barbir).

Juniors who could leave early:
Hamilton, Blacknall, Godwin - 1 possible
Gesicki - staying
Mahon, Nelson - probably depends on health
Chavis, Cothran, Cothren - unlikely
Sickels - possible
Cabinda, Smith - 1 possibly not renewed
Campbell, Haley, Apke, M. Allen - 1 possible

Of course we could have a transfer. We certainly have a lot of QBs. McSorley has 2 more years. Stevens 3 years. Zembiec 4 years. Clifford (17) & Fields (18). Don't know about Beh's situation. Maybe some other kids that aren't playing.

So what is with the visits?

I don't like when the kids take visits after committing, but I also think it's bad form for a coach to freak out like some do. I also think a kid should take every visit they possibly can, even after committing. These classes fill up and these kids want to be a part of them. But, what's so bad about a young guy taking a trip to UCLA with his family after committing to another school? If he does "flip" then so be it. He was never ours to lose then. Better him leaving sooner than on signing day. It's a new world out there in recruiting.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I guess. I was just going off of what somebody who knows about the numbers said. I think it was you so wtf are you asking me for?:)
Haha, idk. I dont remember saying 88, because frankly I don't think walk-ons deserve a scholarship unless there are extra, there almost always are bc of some knuckle head between signing day and the season starting, but they came for the love of the game, not a scholarship.
It's really tough. MLB is a position of need so we could really benefit from Smith returning next year. Davis won the Vlade award as the NCAA's most accurate kicker but how can you afford 2 scholarship kickers (Barbir).

Juniors who could leave early:
Hamilton, Blacknall, Godwin - 1 possible
Gesicki - staying
Mahon, Nelson - probably depends on health
Chavis, Cothran, Cothren - unlikely
Sickels - possible
Cabinda, Smith - 1 possibly not renewed
Campbell, Haley, Apke, M. Allen - 1 possible

Of course we could have a transfer. We certainly have a lot of QBs. McSorley has 2 more years. Stevens 3 years. Zembiec 4 years. Clifford (17) & Fields (18). Don't know about Beh's situation. Maybe some other kids that aren't playing.
Smith can come back whether he has a scholly or not, I hope he does too, but he come here and played 3 years without one, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve one but it certainly wasn't part of the agreement and him coming back isn't predicated on whether he has a scholarship or not. Either way he would make the team and be on the two deep, minimum. I think there will be attrition, I doubt it will be from the QB spot yet, but that could certainly happen down the line.

Haha, idk. I dont remember saying 88, because frankly I don't think walk-ons deserve a scholarship unless there are extra, there almost always are bc of some knuckle head between signing day and the season starting, but they came for the love of the game, not a scholarship.

Smith can come back whether he has a scholly or not, I hope he does too, but he come here and played 3 years without one, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve one but it certainly wasn't part of the agreement and him coming back isn't predicated on whether he has a scholarship or not. Either way he would make the team and be on the two deep, minimum. I think there will be attrition, I doubt it will be from the QB spot yet, but that could certainly happen down the line.

I realize that Smith can come back w/o a scholarship but I don't know that he would. Some kids might be willing to come back if they have a scholarship but decide to move on with life if they have to pay their own way.

I realize that Smith can come back w/o a scholarship but I don't know that he would. Some kids might be willing to come back if they have a scholarship but decide to move on with life if they have to pay their own way.

Isn't Smith on record as saying he plans to come back?

Would CJF take Proctor or another inside LB recruit for the 2017 class at the expense of Smith returning? I don't believe so, but we shall see.........

Last edited:
http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Clifford-repping-Penn-State-at-Under-Armour-50067071

ORLANDO, Fla. — Cincinnati (Ohio) St. Xavier quarterback Sean Clifford won’t get to play in the Under Armour All-American Game on New Year’s Day because of an injury, but the Penn State commit is still honored to have received an invitation to the game.

He’ll spend the week in Florida but not participate. Clifford recently spoke with current Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver AJ Green, who played in the first Under Armour Game back in 2008, about the experience.

“It’s been a dream of mine since I was very young. I’ve watched all the All-American games on TV since I was a little kid. Even though I don’t get to play due to my injury, I’m really proud to be here and represent so many different people at this game.”

Clifford led St. Xavier to a state title as a senior, despite battling separate injuries to his hamstring and shoulder. The shoulder will keep him out of the game on Sunday and he’ll address the issue in the new year.

6_4619766.jpg

(Photo: 247Sports)

“I tore my posterior labrum and I’ll be having surgery in early January,” he said. “Mine is a more minor surgery, so I don’t think it’s going to be that long of a process. Probably three months, it won’t set me back for Penn State. I plan on being prepared to go in there and play as early as they want me to. Whether that’s a redshirt to start or playing right away, I don’t know. I’m ready to compete, that’s what my plan is.”

The four-star prospect is one of three future Nittany Lions that were selected for the game, joining offensive lineman CJ Thorpe and cornerback Lamont Wade. Clifford was recruiting Wade up until he chose the Nittany Lions two weeks ago.

“Before it was Lamont Wade,” said Clifford. “That was a huge pickup for us a week ago. He even tricked me into thinking he was going to West Virginia. That was a big one for us. We’re just happy to have him as a part of the family.”

Clifford will arrive in Happy Valley next summer and he was happy to see the progress that his future team made on the field this fall.

“I wouldn’t say it’s unexpected, but it’s definitely a great surprise. Penn State has been on the rise for a while, ever since the sanctions started. I think we’re finally getting back to where we were before all of this. I’m really proud to be a part of it. I’m glad that I saw it so early, and if anything, I’m proud to be the first commit in this class.

“I don’t like to [tell] people ‘I told you so,’ but I did see it.”

Clifford is the nation’s No. 8 pro-style quarterback in the country according to the 247Sports Composite rankings

GPowers, Scout; UA Practice Updates:

"CJ Thorpe with back to back impressive reps versus Akial Byers in one on one. Byers has struggled some in the one-on-ones going 0-for-4 so far from what we have seen. Then Thorpe comes back and wins two versus #1 DT Marvin Wilson."

GPowers, Scout; UA Practice Updates:

"CJ Thorpe with back to back impressive reps versus Akial Byers in one on one. Byers has struggled some in the one-on-ones going 0-for-4 so far from what we have seen. Then Thorpe comes back and wins two versus #1 DT Marvin Wilson."

Really impressive. Wilson is #1 or #2 overall at any position on many lists.

Got this off the (Pitt board) FWIW:

All the Rivals insiders are saying PSU told him (Proctor) there isn't any room for a LB but if someone leaves early for the NFL the scholly would be his and he would likely visit the second week in January even if he commits to VT. PSU only has one scholly left and are saving it for DT Elijah Conliffe and S Tariq Castro-Fields.

No - Penn State communicated to him that right now he cannot commit on scholarship. That is a fact confirmed by rivals.

According to multiple sources, that conversation took place between Proctor and PSU.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I gotta say, I like Proctor more than Castro-Fields - but I'll trust the staff's judgment on this one. If you think about how the situation has played out, it makes an amount of sense that that's what is going on.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBG65
I'd prefer Conliffe. Can never have too many stout DTs IMO. All starts up front

I think this also leads me to believe that the staff sees either Shaka Toney or maybe Jarvis Miller as an OLB next year

I think this also leads me to believe that the staff sees either Shaka Toney or maybe Jarvis Miller as an OLB next year

Miller is already listed as a LB. Hopefully he has or will put on some weight.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bjf1991
Does this mean Rivers is solid since we won't be entertaining Proctor?

Got this off the (Pitt board) FWIW:

All the Rivals insiders are saying PSU told him (Proctor) there isn't any room for a LB but if someone leaves early for the NFL the scholly would be his and he would likely visit the second week in January even if he commits to VT. PSU only has one scholly left and are saving it for DT Elijah Conliffe and S Tariq Castro-Fields.

No - Penn State communicated to him that right now he cannot commit on scholarship. That is a fact confirmed by rivals.

According to multiple sources, that conversation took place between Proctor and PSU.

Adam Friedman

One of the biggest surprises of the first day of practice was the play of Penn State offensive lineman commit CJ Thorpe. He isn't one of the biggest offensive linemen but he was one of the toughest and strongest. Thorpe's technique and aggressiveness helped him go toe-to-toe with Marvin Wilson on more than one occasion.

Sounds like the reports that we heard about Michal Menet against Rashan Gary last year at around this time.

And Gary played while Menet sat.

While I was against this, it showed clearly that the staff made the correct decision: While Gary will play two more years, Penn State will have at least 3 more years of Menet. Staff: Correct, Guns: Incorrect.

THIS TIME, lmao.

Miller is already listed as a LB. Hopefully he has or will put on some weight.

Jarvis Miller is a good athlete. May be a bit of a sleeper, improving as he gains good weight.

From his HS info...

Player Background

Jarvis Miller is a 6-2, 188-pound Safety from Suffield, Conn.

He finished third at the NIKE SPARQ Combine in New Jersey in February, 2013.

Last edited:

I gotta say, I like Proctor more than Castro-Fields - but I'll trust the staff's judgment on this one. If you think about how the situation has played out, it makes an amount of sense that that's what is going on.

I would never claim to "like" one player, as an athlete or as a potential great player at his recruited position, more than another player. CJF and his staff have done a spectacular job of evaluating high school talent in the past and with the higher talent that they now have a greater chance to bring to PSU I believe they will assemble an exceptional roster of players.

But in my humble analysis of the roster I also was hoping for another LB in order to keep from losing to a sorry a$$ team like pitt again, if we have a few LB injuries..... I would love 4 LB's in the 2017 class, with maybe 2 playing in 2017 to get experience to be ready for more significant roles in 2018 and 2 redshirting. But as pointed out above, if Toney and/or Miller will be playing LB next year the numbers at LB will be better than what's been projected in the past.

Great DT's are necessary to win in the playoffs, but our secondary is loaded with some CB's that could play safety as well, such as Taylor.

I'm still holding out hope that a scholarship will open up and CJF can take at least 2 more talented recruits............

Jarvis Miller is a good athlete. May be a bit of a sleeper, improving as he gains good weight.

From his HS info...6

Player Background

Jarvis Miller is a 6-2, 188-pound Safety from Suffield, Conn.

He finished third at the NIKE SPARQ Combine in New Jersey in February, 2013.

And the pictures of Miller, as a recruit and recently as well, show an athlete with a good sized frame that could be developed in the S&G program into a 6'2" 230lb LB.....

Last edited:
When all is said and done, the 2017 class is going to be great and not just good. We won the B1G and are playing in the Rose Bowl. We also have one of the best recruiting staffs in the Country. Relax and enjoy!

Reactions: bmw199
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT