ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

Good. We should have as good an idea as we'll get about the scholarship situation by that point.

Conliffe officialled this fall - is he planning on coming back for an unofficial before signing day?

Per Phil tonight, he has a scheduled visit to PSU this month.

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
MFer gives Wade award for best footwork at UA practices

This goes to the player who raised his stock the most during the week
.....and CJ Thorpe (Penn State) are all guys who will be discussed for a bump in our upcoming rankings release.

This award is not one that you want; it's for the player whose stock dropped the most.
Honorable mention: Notre Dame linebacker commitment David Adams did not show the size, speed or instincts of a Rivals250 prospect.

FANCY FEET

mk7sbk2n0qsjxnag5aij

Lamont Wade

This award goes to the player with the best feet, whether it's an offensive lineman or a cornerback, big man or mighty mite. LaMont Wade’s footwork is awesome for a cornerback as he’s always on balance, is quick in his backpedal and uses those feet to quickly change direction. The Penn State commitment is a technician.

THE SNUGGIE

mggamsqnnh0msvyajcaa

Lamont Wade

This is for the player who provided the best coverage on defense during the week. Penn State commitment LaMont Wade wins this one to go along with Fancy Feet. Wade brings energy and aggressiveness to the position and he is also very physical.

MFer gives Wade award for best footwork at UA practices

This goes to the player who raised his stock the most during the week
.....and CJ Thorpe (Penn State) are all guys who will be discussed for a bump in our upcoming rankings release.

This award is not one that you want; it's for the player whose stock dropped the most.
Honorable mention: Notre Dame linebacker commitment David Adams did not show the size, speed or instincts of a Rivals250 prospect.

FANCY FEET

mk7sbk2n0qsjxnag5aij

Lamont Wade

This award goes to the player with the best feet, whether it's an offensive lineman or a cornerback, big man or mighty mite. LaMont Wade’s footwork is awesome for a cornerback as he’s always on balance, is quick in his backpedal and uses those feet to quickly change direction. The Penn State commitment is a technician.

THE SNUGGIE

mggamsqnnh0msvyajcaa

Lamont Wade

This is for the player who provided the best coverage on defense during the week. Penn State commitment LaMont Wade wins this one to go along with Fancy Feet. Wade brings energy and aggressiveness to the position and he is also very physical.

Another Thorpe mention...

... the Lunch Pail Award is for the guy who does the dirty work that doesn't get into the box score or noticed by many.

"...CJ Thorpe also made a few key blocks many didn’t notice."
=======

Another Wade mention...

MR. CONSISTENCY

bewzyqzis7e9h6g6a8bh

This award goes to the player who was simply good all week long and could be relied upon to bring it each and every day.

Honorable mention:
....LaMont Wade... all had consistent weeks as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwifan
New target on the horizon?

Peyton Hendershot. Tight end. Tri-West Lizton, IN. Ht: 6'4". Wt: 223 lbs. Class: 2017. -.

Well, Bama isn't taking him, so he's kind of late to change that to somewhere else. I thought it was believed that he is staying down South, though.

Also, hard to believe we take a 3-star tight end this cycle, unless he is also a linebacker. Given what we have and what's coming, it makes no sense.

I think it makes sense when you think about how this staff recruits. They leave no stone unturned. Imagine this year's team without unheralded recruits like Christian Campbell or Kevin Givens. This staff always sets itself up with a plan in case Plan A recruits do not commit. Hendershot is only a take if Confliffe or Proctor go elsewhere.

We already have Lovett waiting in the wings, as well.

I just don't see the need for a tight end at this point.

Reactions: TheGLOV
We already have Lovett waiting in the wings, as well.

I just don't see the need for a tight end at this point.

Lovett would be more fun since Rutgers just hired new Offensive coaches to try and get him back. Both of their running backs for 2017 had decommitted. Their PSU hating fans deserve the trauma!

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think Webb or Hendershot will basically get Godwins scholarship. I expect they'll turn up the heat on Webb

I think Webb or Hendershot will basically get Godwins scholarship. I expect they'll turn up the heat on Webb

I dunno. They clearly want TCF the most, and then Conliffe. The fact that they are reaching out for this kid from Indy makes me wonder if the ship has sailed on these two. Maybe the last two guys will be Proctor and Hendershot. I don't see Webb as being interested, based on his actions of late.

I dunno. They clearly want TCF the most, and then Conliffe. The fact that they are reaching out for this kid from Indy makes me wonder if the ship has sailed on these two. Maybe the last two guys will be Proctor and Hendershot. I don't see Webb as being interested, based on his actions of late.
I'm not sure how people make these assumptions. You'll see what happens once the dead period ends.

We still need another to leave to fit in the current recruits...no sense giving away something we don't have. Yes, I want more but we still don't have any room at the inn.

I'm not sure how people make these assumptions. You'll see what happens once the dead period ends.

Yep, about the only thing certain is that CJF doesn't like to bank scholarships. He has gotten late additions such as Bowers and Givens 2 years ago that have contributed, and got a couple players late in 2016. With the 2018 TE commits I'd be surprised if he takes a TE in the class, but CJF keeps evaluating film and players right up until signing day. If he likes this TE he must be a "get" if the kids ends up coming to town in late January and there is a scholarship available.

But I still believe that Castro-Fields, Conliffe, Web, Swift, and Proctor, and possibly a few others, are ahead of the TE and Lovett......

Last edited:
Reactions: garw and bjf1991
Yep, about the only thing certain is that CJF doesn't like to bank scholarships. He has gotten late additions such as Bowers and Given 2 years ago that have contributed, and got a couple players late in 2016. With the 2018 TE commits I'd be surprised if he takes a TE in the class, but CJF keeps evaluating film and players right up until signing day. If he likes this TE he must be a "get" if the kids ends up coming to town in late January and there is a scholarship available.

But I still believe that Castro-Fields, Conliffe, Web, Swift, and Proctor, and possibly a few others, are ahead of the TE and Lovett......

Not to mention you never know about late flips of your own in the current class. Nobody that I am aware of is looking to flip, but funnier things have happened. I have not heard one site rule Conliffe, TCF, and even Proctor out yet, but all have said space is super tight.

Some guys still could leave though, you never know. There could be some sophs and juniors who may not like the depth chart setup and want to see the field as they only have so much time to do so. There hasn't been a ton of buzz or any at all of guys looking around to leave, but you never do know. Lynch tweeted out just last week that #26 is why he left PSU as he saw the writing on the wall. Basically we'll know who is staying or going in a week or so, but even with two leaving early there is no room I believe to take anymore right now, but the staff is still recruiting some kids just in case.

The only thing mentioned on Conliffe is he may want to go to the SEC, but I don't think PSU stopped recruiting him. At least nobody has come out and said that yet. TCF is still slated to visit as well as Proctor.

Last edited:
Not to mention you never know about late flips of your own in the current class. Nobody that I am aware of is looking to flip, but funnier things have happened. I have not heard one site rule Conliffe, TCF, and even Proctor out yet, but all have said space is super tight.

Some guys still could leave though, you never know. There could be some sophs and juniors who may not like the depth chart setup and want to see the field as they only have so much time to do so. There hasn't been a ton of buzz or any at all of guys looking around to leave, but you never do know. Lynch tweeted out just last week that #26 is why he left PSU as he saw the writing on the wall. Basically we'll know who is staying or going in a week or so, but even with two leaving early there is no room I believe to take anymore right now, but the staff is still recruiting some kids just in case.

The only thing mentioned on Conliffe is he may want to go to the SEC, but I don't think PSU stopped recruiting him. At least nobody has come out and said that yet. TCF is still slated to visit as well as Proctor.

I've seen two direct quotes from Conliffe in the past two months that he has PSU on top. Now, of course, that is no guarantee. But I don't understand why some people are so eager to write off PSU's chances, if they have room.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Bob78
PSU is getting Bowden's last official visit. This kid is lightning in a bottle.

http://www.scout.com/college/footba...0-4-star-lynn-bowden-has-official-visits-left

4-Star ATH Lynn Bowden Has Official Visits Left
2016-02-02_173502.jpg

BILL GREENE
Yesterday at 7:39 PM

Lynn Bowden is one of the top prospects in the Midwest for 2017, and the four-star talent still has official visits remaining in January. Where will be Bowden visiting before National Signing Day?

Reactions: TheGLOV and Bob78
I've seen two direct quotes from Conliffe in the past two months that he has PSU on top. Now, of course, that is no guarantee. But I don't understand why some people are so eager to write off PSU's chances, if they have room.
There was a little smoke about Tenn recently Judge and him wanting to play in the SEC. Who knows how much of that was homer talk or not? The issue right now is space as there just isn't any.

There was a little smoke about Tenn recently Judge and him wanting to play in the SEC. Who knows how much of that was homer talk or not? The issue right now is space as there just isn't any.

Well, as long as these official/unofficial visits are still scheduled, I assume there is a chance.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Someone who sees they have no chance to start will leave. I look at the roster and expect 2 or 3 kids to go. It's not rocket science. Look at the guys who have been here 3 years and don't project to start next year. Either they enjoy hanging out at PSU (i did) or they want to play and they will find a place to accomplish that. So yeah, CJF should continue to recruit right up to the end. I believe some scholarships come open.

Reactions: bmw199
PSU is getting Bowden's last official visit. This kid is lightning in a bottle.

http://www.scout.com/college/footba...0-4-star-lynn-bowden-has-official-visits-left

4-Star ATH Lynn Bowden Has Official Visits Left
2016-02-02_173502.jpg

BILL GREENE
Yesterday at 7:39 PM

Lynn Bowden is one of the top prospects in the Midwest for 2017, and the four-star talent still has official visits remaining in January. Where will be Bowden visiting before National Signing Day?

Great offer sheet. Where the hell did this come from?

I don't believe we even need to be down to 85 until the fall (or when the rest of the non-early enrollee 2017 class enrolls), so I believe we can take a few more - we're at 85 now, if my math works - and it'll figure itself out over spring ball and the summer.

I think much of that Tennessee speculation rested on a premature assumption of PSU not having space and Bama filling up as well. For a while now it seems like PSU, Bama and everyone else a distant 3rd. Can't imagine that changing if PSU can take him.

I don't believe we even need to be down to 85 until the fall (or when the rest of the non-early enrollee 2017 class enrolls), so I believe we can take a few more - we're at 85 now, if my math works - and it'll figure itself out over spring ball and the summer.
84 not counting any walk-ons. I agree with others that there will be 2-3 departures, yet to come. There is no way there is no space at all if they are scheduling this many visits. Also, makes you wonder if all these guys are higher on their board than Proctor?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT