ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

I would say generally your sentiment is accurate but not in this case. The coach at St Peter's is about as big an ND homer as exists. He was responsible for the Wimbush nonsense. It's really tough to overcome a coach who has his own interests in mind over that of the players he coaches.

I see said the blind man!

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
The Lair idiots give out stars to their recruits the same way they give themselves national championships.

Reactions: bison13
Can't you guys start a Pitt recruiting troll thread? I keep telling everyone I know there is literally no point to PSU ever playing Pitt and you guys continually give people reasons to think there is some reason.

PSU does not need to play Pitt to get WPIAL recruits. They are not coming here now because we are playing them. They deserve to simply be ignored, so do it.

Can't you guys start a Pitt recruiting troll thread? I keep telling everyone I know there is literally no point to PSU ever playing Pitt and you guys continually give people reasons to think there is some reason.

PSU does not need to play Pitt to get WPIAL recruits. They are not coming here now because we are playing them. They deserve to simply be ignored, so do it.
I wonder sometimes who's more obsessed, some Pitt posters or some PSU posters. I've never been to the Lair board. Why would I? I'm only interested in Pitt the day of the game.

giphy.gif

Great write-up on Dorian's commitment, via Tyler Donahue. Quality insight from his mother Sharon Hardy.

Sounds like we're still very much involved with Micah Parsons. Ideal DL class closes out with Hardy, Mustipher, Oweh and possibly Parsons. Imagine that kind of firepower coming after Big Ten quarterbacks.

Great write-up on Dorian's commitment, via Tyler Donahue. Quality insight from his mother Sharon Hardy.

Sounds like we're still very much involved with Micah Parsons. Ideal DL class closes out with Hardy, Mustipher, Oweh and possibly Parsons. Imagine that kind of firepower coming after Big Ten quarterbacks.

From that article:

"“There was something we liked about every school, but they also had cons, too,” Sharon said. “Even up to this past weekend, we went back and forth trying to find something we didn’t like about Penn State. We never found it.”"

That's all fine and good, Justin, but the staff can't sit on pillows waiting for your final decision while saying the rosary. That isn't fair to them or to your eventual replacement. Get real.

Interesting quote from Fields: "The reason I decommitted is because I wanted to make sure Penn State was the fit for me. I knew that when I committed, but this is my second go-around to make sure they are the best fit for me."

https://n.rivals.com/news/2018-a-quarterback-s-recruiting-conundrum

We don't even know if he still holds a "commitable offer" from Coach Franklin and PSU. PSU and Coach Franklin are not obligated "by honor or their word" to hold up their end of the "verbal commitment" once the athlete goes back on their word and commitment. IOW, it is not up to JF whether he could "reclaim" his 2018 PSU Scholarship at this point.

We don't even know if he still holds a "commitable offer" from Coach Franklin and PSU. PSU and Coach Franklin are not obligated "by honor or their word" to hold up their end of the "verbal commitment" once the athlete goes back on their word and commitment. IOW, it is not up to JF whether he could "reclaim" his 2018 PSU Scholarship at this point.

Let's not use the "not commitable offer" here, please.

We all know the staff would have a scholarship for him if he decided he wanted to go to Penn State. Even if he decided on NSD and PSU already had 2 QBs committed, they would still take Fields. There are certain players in every class that you take no matter what, and Fields is one of those players.

Yeah, I would think if the kid from Kansas or Devin Leary from NJ announces for PSU, that would be the end of QB recruiting for the Class of 2018. In the meantime, Fields MIGHT have an opportunity to get back on board.
**edit to note -- just don't agree with Miles Barkley's take above.

We all know the staff would have a scholarship for him if he decided he wanted to go to Penn State. Even if he decided on NSD and PSU already had 2 QBs committed, they would still take Fields. There are certain players in every class that you take no matter what, and Fields is one of those players.

Agree.

Pickel

It requires a bit of forecasting to figure out who could follow in Hardy's footsteps and commit to Penn State, but the three hot names continue to be four-star Waldorf, Md., tackle Rasheed Walker, four-star Owning Mills, Md., defensive tackle P.J. Mustipher, and four-star Hightstown, N.J., pass catcher Jahan Dotson. It's just not really clear when any of those guys want to decide, so be patient, but they could be next.

Give it a break, wouldja.

Commitable offer. Expired offer. Call it what you want. Don't use it if you want, but "we" will when it is applicable. We will never find out, but that is likely what happened to Morgan, who recently committed to pitt.

You are dreaming regarding CJF's late cycle potential class additions. Another drama queen.

If CJF has 1 or 2 or whatever QB's ready to fax in the LOI's on signing day and he has accounted for all 85 scholarships for the upcoming roster, there will not be an opening for Fields, or anyone else. CJF will honor the offers he has made and that have been mutually accepted as he finalizes each recruiting class. CJF will not take players "no matter what".

Last edited:
As we sit here today, doesn't look like Ruder or Patterson are realistic options. Appears we got in too late to be an option for them. Maybe that changes as the weeks go by, maybe not. Part of the double whammy of getting a decommitt at a position that most schools just take one per year and the spots fill up early.

Will be interesting to see who else they offer as time goes by. I imagine they want someone in this class, though I've been reading more about Clifford and how people sleep on his running ability. Played in an extremely tough conference and had multiple games with ~100 yards rushing. Do you bring in a guy who you don't think could ever realistically start in this offense, when you have Clifford in the class before? Maybe you bring in a guy who will back up Clifford, theoretically.

At some point, is it just Fields or bust for 2018 and concentrate on bringing in a blue chip 2019 QB? Hated to lose Fields, but I'm not sure you have to settle in 2018 based on the current depth chart.

Commitable offer. Expired offer. Call it what you want. Don't use it if you want, but "we" will when it is applicable. We will never find out, but that is likely what happened to Morgan, who recently committed to pitt.

You are dreaming regarding CJF's late cycle potential class additions. Another drama queen.

If CJF has 1 or 2 or whatever QB's ready to fax in the LOI's on signing day and he has accounted for all 85 scholarships for the upcoming roster, there will not be an opening for Fields, or anyone else. CJF will honor the offers he has made and that have been mutually accepted as he finalizes each recruiting class. CJF will not take players "no matter what".

There is quite the difference of having a scholarship offer available in your comparison between Justin Fields and John Morgan.

Justin Fields can pretty much have a full-ride to any school in the country that he wants to attend.
John Morgan's offers were pretty much limited to the northeastern United States.

One of those prospects was clearly our top choice at that position, and a top 3 recruit at their position in the country. The other one was probably option 6-8 for us at that position, and probably the 30th-40th best recruit at his position in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judge Smails

There is no such thing as a "commitable offer" (or a "committed recruit") until February (well, I guess for some, that is now December)

As we sit here today, doesn't look like Ruder or Patterson are realistic options. Appears we got in too late to be an option for them. Maybe that changes as the weeks go by, maybe not. Part of the double whammy of getting a decommitt at a position that most schools just take one per year and the spots fill up early.

Will be interesting to see who else they offer as time goes by. I imagine they want someone in this class, though I've been reading more about Clifford and how people sleep on his running ability. Played in an extremely tough conference and had multiple games with ~100 yards rushing. Do you bring in a guy who you don't think could ever realistically start in this offense, when you have Clifford in the class before? Maybe you bring in a guy who will back up Clifford, theoretically.

At some point, is it just Fields or bust for 2018 and concentrate on bringing in a blue chip 2019 QB? Hated to lose Fields, but I'm not sure you have to settle in 2018 based on the current depth chart.
If they want a quality QB in this class - - - and I assume they do - - - - they will bring in a quality QB in this class.

Wrong, we don't know that at all - we don't even know if Coach Franklin would still have a scholarship for JF given the NEW EARLY SIGNING rules..... You are not Coach Franklin and do not speak for him in this regard contrary to your claim. Only Coach Franklin & Co. and JF himself know whether he still holds a "committable offer".....and the only party who can publicly speak about this topic is JF as CJF is not permitted to publicly talk or comment about this topic under NCAA Rules.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Wrong, we don't know that at all - we don't even know if Coach Franklin would still have a scholarship for JF given the NEW EARLY SIGNING rules..... You are not Coach Franklin and do not speak for him in this regard contrary to your claim. Only Coach Franklin & Co. and JF himself know whether he still holds a "committable offer".....and the only party who can publicly speak about this topic is JF as CJF is not permitted to publicly talk or comment about this topic under NCAA Rules.
Doesn't stop you from yappin' away about it repeatedly, always saying the same damn thing with five times the words necessary. You'd make Hemingway's head explode if he hadn't done it for himself already.

Interesting at the 5 star that skinny ankles Farrell thinks Nana and Slade are meh while he says Walker is impressive and a lock to PSU.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-rivals100-five-star-challenge-intel-and-insights

I know Farrell's job is to post opinions so that people read him and pay for premium posts, but it's just so bizarre to have someone with the title "national recruiting director" making judgments about players based on probably 5 minutes of play at one event.

Especially with OT, you're recruiting a player who typically has a minimum of two years of training ahead before they're ready for college football. Asiedu isn't a top prospect because he is the most accomplished high school OT. He's a top prospect because of the player he's GOING to be in 2-3 years. Isn't he the one who has only played high school football for a year or two? He's still learning the fundamentals.

Meanwhile, if Walker is dominating at these scrimmages that is nothing but positive, and it's great he likes PSU.

It would be so awesome if both these guys end up at PSU. Offensive line recruiting is going to be a whole new world with Matt Limegrover at PSU.

Doesn't stop you from yappin' away about it repeatedly, always saying the same damn thing with five times the words necessary. You'd make Hemingway's head explode if he hadn't done it for himself already.

Irony doesn't even begin to describe your incessant "douche yapping".....LMFAO, you're such a twit and tool - quite the combination.

'19's Duggan looks like a good fit and has an early offer. It might be tough pulling him out of Iowa but his high school offense is very similar to PSU's and that might make a difference. The kid likes to run the ball.

Weren't you the one who started the topic of saying that Fields not having a commitable offer....

Only CJF and Pennsy_Kraken can speak on this topic*

Weren't you the one who started the topic of saying that Fields not having a commitable offer....

Only CJF and Pennsy_Kraken can speak on this topic*

The only piece of factual information we have on this topic is JF evaporating and reneging on the quid pro quo of his "PSU offer" 7 days ago on 6/6/2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT