ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

If they want a quality QB in this class - - - and I assume they do - - - - they will bring in a quality QB in this class.
I agree. If there's one thing Franklin has consistently said about his recruiting philosophy since he was hired, it's the importance he places on bringing in a QB each year. I would be very surprised if there isn't a quarterback in the 2018 class.

From that article:

"“There was something we liked about every school, but they also had cons, too,” Sharon said. “Even up to this past weekend, we went back and forth trying to find something we didn’t like about Penn State. We never found it.”"

Great quote BobPSU92.
Brought a smile. :)
Thanks for posting it.

We are getting great Mom's along with great recruits. Nice combination! ;)

As we sit here today, doesn't look like Ruder or Patterson are realistic options. Appears we got in too late to be an option for them. Maybe that changes as the weeks go by, maybe not. Part of the double whammy of getting a decommitt at a position that most schools just take one per year and the spots fill up early.

Will be interesting to see who else they offer as time goes by. I imagine they want someone in this class, though I've been reading more about Clifford and how people sleep on his running ability. Played in an extremely tough conference and had multiple games with ~100 yards rushing. Do you bring in a guy who you don't think could ever realistically start in this offense, when you have Clifford in the class before? Maybe you bring in a guy who will back up Clifford, theoretically.

At some point, is it just Fields or bust for 2018 and concentrate on bringing in a blue chip 2019 QB? Hated to lose Fields, but I'm not sure you have to settle in 2018 based on the current depth chart.

Judge, I agree with you however, who do you have after Clifford? Say he goes down and then who? Zembiec? I know he hasn't had the opportunity to really prove himself yet, so I won't knock him, but that's really the biggest thing in my mind. Thats the real reason i think you need a qb recruit in every class. You never know who will pan out and who won't. You know what I mean?

I agree. If there's one thing Franklin has consistently said about his recruiting philosophy since he was hired, it's the importance he places on bringing in a QB each year. I would be very surprised if there isn't a quarterback in the 2018 class.

Yes, good point.....and I doubt that Coach Franklin is going to subjugate the best interests of the program to any prospects whimsical decision-making, especially with the implications of the NEW "early-signing period" well in front of the traditional LOI Day.

Yes, good point.....and I doubt that Coach Franklin is going to subjugate the best interests of the program to any prospects whimsical decision-making, especially with the implications of the NEW "early-signing period" well in front of the traditional LOI Day.

Point taken, but then you can create a situation where 2-3 transfer......at the same time. It's not that uncommon.

Basically, it's a fine balancing act.

Point taken, but then you can create a situation where 2-3 transfer......at the same time. It's not that uncommon.

Basically, it's a fine balancing act.

I hear you.....and don't disagree. Just saying that I doubt Coach will hesitate to guarantee a place in the 2018 Class to any QB he offers (in exchange for a reciprocal commitment from said prospect) on the "wing & a prayer" that JF signs come traditional LOI Day. If PSU runs out of scholies and they are all accounted for by the new early-LOI Day, Coach is not going to hold one for Fields. Could they still accept an LOI on traditional LOI Day? Yea, I suppose they could as they are permitted to carry up to 88 ships during the Spring Period after traditional LOI Signing Day, no? Programs are only required to resolve the discrepancies prior to the new school year via means such as you are suggesting, correct?

If they want a quality QB in this class - - - and I assume they do - - - - they will bring in a quality QB in this class.

Yep. And a quality QB is one the CJF and Moorhead believe can succeed in their offense. Not one that the recruiting services necessarily love. As in Tommy Stevens. Regarding Fields, it just so happened that CJF, Moorehead, and all the recruiting services love him. And CJF and Moorehead seemed to be was way ahead of the recruiting services in loving Fields.....

Regarding the other comment above. CJF is smart enough to realize that recruiting services rankings do not determine who will be his starting QB. No matter the rating coming out of H.S., the starting QB will be determined in practice under the judgement of CJF and Moorehead. As we all know, lots of 5 star QB's flame out, and lots of 3 star QB's become stars. Yes there is correlation between stars and performance. But CJF will get the best QB he can get for the 2018 class and let the chips fall where the will during training camp as each QB in the programs develops.

I don't believe CJF and Moorehead would recruit a QB that they don't believe would have a legit chance to become a starting QB at PSU. If they can't find a legit prospect I believe they won't take a scholarship QB, and instead would bring in a couple of walk-on's for depth.

I put my $ on CJF and Moorehead signing a QB in the 2018 class and that QB having a legit chance in the QB competition going forward.....

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
There is quite the difference of having a scholarship offer available in your comparison between Justin Fields and John Morgan.

Justin Fields can pretty much have a full-ride to any school in the country that he wants to attend.
John Morgan's offers were pretty much limited to the northeastern United States.

One of those prospects was clearly our top choice at that position, and a top 3 recruit at their position in the country. The other one was probably option 6-8 for us at that position, and probably the 30th-40th best recruit at his position in the country.

My comment on "Commitable offer. Expired offer" was not in reference to Fields. It was regarding the fact that there are offers that may be real offers, but that does not mean it is a real/commitable offer during the length of the recruiting cycle. As it seems was the case for Morgan. Who else offers each recruit has nothing to do with it, or with how CJF manages the recruiting process, although a player with lesser offers may be more inclined to wait out the process in hopes of a spot opening near the end of the cycle (i.e. closer to signing day).

Judge, I agree with you however, who do you have after Clifford? Say he goes down and then who? Zembiec? I know he hasn't had the opportunity to really prove himself yet, so I won't knock him, but that's really the biggest thing in my mind. Thats the real reason i think you need a qb recruit in every class. You never know who will pan out and who won't. You know what I mean?

Assuming 2020 is the first year that Clifford starts as a RS Jr, the 2019 QB they recruit would be a RS Freshman. That seems ok, but not completely ideal, for a backup QB. I don't think Zembiec sticks around. You can also bring in graduate transfers as backups or to "compete", many other programs do.

Reactions: PennState_one
I hear you.....and don't disagree. Just saying that I doubt Coach will hesitate to guarantee a place in the 2018 Class to any QB he offers (in exchange for a reciprocal commitment from said prospect) on the "wing & a prayer" that JF signs come traditional LOI Day. If PSU runs out of scholies and they are all accounted for by the new early-LOI Day, Coach is not going to hold one for Fields. Could they still accept an LOI on traditional LOI Day? Yea, I suppose they could as they are permitted to carry up to 88 ships during the Spring Period after traditional LOI Signing Day, no? Programs are only required to resolve the discrepancies prior to the new school year via means such as you are suggesting, correct?

I doubt that Franklin "guarantees" a spot to any recruit, whatever the circumstances.

Assuming 2020 is the first year that Clifford starts as a RS Jr, the 2019 QB they recruit would be a RS Freshman. That seems ok, but not completely ideal, for a backup QB. I don't think Zembiec sticks around. You can also bring in graduate transfers as backups or to "compete", many other programs do.

Except that CJF is on record as wanting 5 scholarship QB's on the roster, and with a walkon or 2 that is a big group..... It's a good bet he brings in at least 1 QB in each class. I really don't believe he will bring in more than 1 in a class unless there are transfers that leave the roster light on QB's.....

Last edited:
Don't count on mustipher I talk to one of his ex teammates over the weekend and he told me he will probably go to nd

[
Interesting quote from Fields: "The reason I decommitted is because I wanted to make sure Penn State was the fit for me. I knew that when I committed, but this is my second go-around to make sure they are the best fit for me."

https://n.rivals.com/news/2018-a-quarterback-s-recruiting-conundrum
So, Penn State was the right fit when I didn't have as much interest from other programs. Now that other programs are showing me some love, I want to be sure that PSU is still the best fit. Guess he didn't expect his recruiting to explode.

I don't understand all the angst over recruiting. Some of the final ships will fall in at the end as it is like a game of musical chairs. Good news is that all of those guys are 4 star types with incredible offer sheets.
If you like to suffer go over to the Lair where they are reduced to tracking graduate transfers, players that were dismissed elsewhere and no star jucos.
PSU will have a top 10-15 class and be just fine. There is no need for this program to wring its collective hands over any one recruit. Franklin has his backups for backups at each position. He's turning decent prospects away at this point.

I don't understand all the angst over recruiting. Some of the final ships will fall in at the end as it is like a game of musical chairs. Good news is that all of those guys are 4 star types with incredible offer sheets.
If you like to suffer go over to the Lair where they are reduced to tracking graduate transfers, players that were dismissed elsewhere and no star jucos.
PSU will have a top 10-15 class and be just fine. There is no need for this program to wring its collective hands over any one recruit. Franklin has his backups for backups at each position. He's turning decent prospects away at this point.

Evidence is accumulating that Franklin is a recruiting ninja warrior. He relates well to the kids and the parents, has great communications skills, terrific energy and attention to detail, and is an excellent judge of talent. Whether it's finding "value" in the 3-star kids or going after the best of the best, Coach Franklin is IMO outstanding. Combine this with an excellent product to sell (the University as a whole, the physical facilities, fan support, and a great coaching staff) and the results are leading to outstanding teams that can compete for national titles.

We are witnessing something special.

We don't even know if he still holds a "commitable offer" from Coach Franklin and PSU. PSU and Coach Franklin are not obligated "by honor or their word" to hold up their end of the "verbal commitment" once the athlete goes back on their word and commitment. IOW, it is not up to JF whether he could "reclaim" his 2018 PSU Scholarship at this point.
The idea that CJF or any other big time college coach would pull an offer for a top 10 overall recruit (Fields or Parsons) because they wanted to make sure that they were making the right decision is just crazy. Of course, knowing that the grass could end up looking greener somewhere else, they would certainly accept verbal commitments from other talented players at these positions. That's no the same as slamming the door in these kids faces if they end up wanting to come to Penn State after all.

Reactions: runboy3200
We are beating a dead horse here. Let's leave this up to CJF, I have the utmost confidence in him, he will do it the right way.

Reactions: Aloha T
Evidence is accumulating that Franklin is a recruiting ninja warrior. He relates well to the kids and the parents, has great communications skills, terrific energy and attention to detail, and is an excellent judge of talent. Whether it's finding "value" in the 3-star kids or going after the best of the best, Coach Franklin is IMO outstanding. Combine this with an excellent product to sell (the University as a whole, the physical facilities, fan support, and a great coaching staff) and the results are leading to outstanding teams that can compete for national titles.

We are witnessing something special.

Agree with everything you say except the "value" in 3-star players. I believe that premise is bogus. CJF, and any good coach and recruiter, evaluates talent on their (head coach and staff) own. CJF does not need Farrel or anyone else to tell him who the best players are. Sure, there is correlation between stars and talent. But the reason that CJF went hard after Katshir, Gordon and the other "3 star" players, as rated by recruiting services, is because he believe they will play at PSU on a level with the other players he is recruiting. These players, along with for example DJBrown, Franklin, and Martin in the 2017 class, were early offers and were evaluated as being prime targets in their respective classes and projected PSU positions. They were not late pickups.

As CJF has stated recently, it's a great position to be in when as a recruiting class is filling before signing day PSU has to turn away 4 star players. By this I believe he means 4 star talent, not necessarily players that Farrel has rated as 4 star. But players that CJF and his staff have rated as 4 star talent.

Agree with everything you say except the "value" in 3-star players. I believe that premise is bogus. CJF, and any good coach and recruiter, evaluates talent on their (head coach and staff) own. CJF does not need Farrel or anyone else to tell him who the best players are. Sure, there is correlation between stars and talent. But the reason that CJF went hard after Katshir, Gordon and the other "3 star" players, as rated by recruiting services, is because he believe they will play at PSU on a level with the other players he is recruiting. These players, along with for example DJBrown, Franklin, and Martin in the 2017 class, were early offers and were evaluated as being prime targets in their respective classes and projected PSU positions. They were not late pickups.

As CJF has stated recently, it's a great position to be in when as a recruiting class is filling before signing day PSU has to turn away 4 star players. By this I believe he means 4 star talent, not necessarily players that Farrel has rated as 4 star. But players that CJF and his staff have rated as 4 star talent.
At least part of the "star" system is attending the right events/ camps etc. To me its like the kid whose parents can't afford to finance him to play travel baseball or AAU basketball. That doesn't mean they don't have talent. It might keep them from having their talent discovered as quickly as the more fortunate ones.

Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: Mid-Atlantic spotlight
Woody Wommack | Rivals.com

COULD SLADE BE THE NEXT BIG PENN STATE STAR?

g31jgechbt5urslms1xd

Ricky Slade

Penn State’s development of star running back Saquon Barkley shows just how capable the Nittany Lions are at producing elite running backs and after his showing at the event it’s worth wondering if four-star running back Ricky Slade can follow in Barkley’s footsteps. Slade impressed at times with his footwork and looks like a future every-down back. With the roadmap already in place in Happy Valley it will be fun to watch if Slade can fill the void with Barkley likely headed to the NFL after the 2017 season.

Same article, this is couched in diplomatic language but sounds like he struggled a little bit....may be a reason for the lack of PSU offer so far...

LEARY'S POTENTIAL

nxfrcthhta1gmwwrfcii

Devin Leary

Over the past few months the buzz surrounding Rivals250 NC State quarterback commit Devin Leary has been growing, based mainly off his impressive camp performances. So Leary came into the Five-Star Challenge with lofty expectations, and while he held his own at times, it was clear that he isn’t quite ready to make the leap into the discussion with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields for the nation’s top quarterback – and that’s okay.

Sometimes when a prospect gets the momentum of media and fans it can build unrealistic expectations. Leary was clearly an excellent evaluation by the Wolfpack coaching staff and is more than deserving of his four-star status. It will be interesting to follow his career once he gets to Raleigh, but Wolfpack fans will have to show some patience if they expect Leary to step in and be the savior from Day 1.

Same article, this is couched in diplomatic language but sounds like he struggled a little bit....may be a reason for the lack of PSU offer so far...

LEARY'S POTENTIAL

nxfrcthhta1gmwwrfcii

Devin Leary

Over the past few months the buzz surrounding Rivals250 NC State quarterback commit Devin Leary has been growing, based mainly off his impressive camp performances. So Leary came into the Five-Star Challenge with lofty expectations, and while he held his own at times, it was clear that he isn’t quite ready to make the leap into the discussion with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields for the nation’s top quarterback – and that’s okay.

Sometimes when a prospect gets the momentum of media and fans it can build unrealistic expectations. Leary was clearly an excellent evaluation by the Wolfpack coaching staff and is more than deserving of his four-star status. It will be interesting to follow his career once he gets to Raleigh, but Wolfpack fans will have to show some patience if they expect Leary to step in and be the savior from Day 1.

Yea, but you have to take what these 3rd Party blowhards have to say with a grain of salt imho. First of all, they are way to infatuated with their own pronouncements and supposed "expert" evaluations (despite nobody paying them for their coaching and evaluation abilities - they are, for all intents and purposes, glorified jock-sniffing sports journalists). Beyond all that, these camps tell you very little about a players ability to adapt and read defenses, which is skill that is critical to success at the QB position as a player like Jeff George demonstrates. This kids success in the large-school division in New Jersey (especially the upcoming season) will tell you infinitely more than these camps, which at the end of the day tell you very little about a players ability to succeed in "real game" conditions and provide very marginal information about QB's "readiness" (i.e., ability to read more sophisticated defensive packages) at best.

Reactions: searay26
Um, he'd have to beat out Miles Sanders first...

Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: Mid-Atlantic spotlight
Woody Wommack | Rivals.com

COULD SLADE BE THE NEXT BIG PENN STATE STAR?

g31jgechbt5urslms1xd

Ricky Slade

Penn State’s development of star running back Saquon Barkley shows just how capable the Nittany Lions are at producing elite running backs and after his showing at the event it’s worth wondering if four-star running back Ricky Slade can follow in Barkley’s footsteps. Slade impressed at times with his footwork and looks like a future every-down back. With the roadmap already in place in Happy Valley it will be fun to watch if Slade can fill the void with Barkley likely headed to the NFL after the 2017 season.

Yea, but you have to take what these 3rd Party blowhards have to say with a grain of salt imho. First of all, they are way to infatuated with their own pronouncements and supposed "expert" evaluations (despite nobody paying them for their coaching and evaluation abilities - they are, for all intents and purposes, glorified jock-sniffing sports journalists). Beyond all that, these camps tell you very little about a players ability to adapt and read defenses, which is skill that is critical to success at the QB position as a player like Jeff George demonstrates. This kids success in the large-school division in New Jersey (especially the upcoming season) will tell you infinitely more than these camps, which at the end of the day tell you very little about a players ability to succeed in "real game" conditions and provide very marginal information about QB's "readiness" (i.e., ability to read more sophisticated defensive packages) at best.

Well, Penn State hasn't offered him yet despite all of his accolades, proximity, ties to the school, etc. Maybe they offer tomorrow, who knows. I agree with you on these camp evaluations many times, but seemed to give a little backup for the lack of PSU offer so far.

I don't think the article is even saying that Leary struggled - all it seems to be saying is that he isn't at the same level as Lawrence and Fields. That's a fair evaluation - there just aren't going to be many recruits at their level.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Well, Penn State hasn't offered him yet despite all of his accolades, proximity, ties to the school, etc. Maybe they offer tomorrow, who knows. I agree with you on these camp evaluations many times, but seemed to give a little backup for the lack of PSU offer so far.

Think that has more to do with the fact Leary is not much of a double threat. He is a pro-style QB. He is the kind of kid PSU would have targetted early under BOB and Joe, but we run a different offense now.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Yea, possibly - could be an explanation. The other likely scenario is that PSU has spoken with him, expressed interest in having him visit and simply is not going to take the next step (even if that is their intent) until he is on campus.

Think that has more to do with the fact Leary is not much of a double threat. He is a pro-style QB. He is the kind of kid PSU would have targetted early under BOB and Joe, but we run a different offense now.

Speaking of BOB.....crazy to think that it took Franklin getting to PSU for Barkley to get an offer. Imagine if he wasn't here.

I don't count on the words of an EX-teammate to be anywhere close to being accurate.

He came up here on his own dime.

His family, by all accounts, enjoyed their visit.
and, 247 CB's have him 83% to PSU, 14% to ND. One would hope these so called recruiting guru's would have a little more insight then an EX teammate.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I don't think he would have been an early target for BOB. BOB definitely valued size if you look at who he targeted in his two years at PSU.

1 other thing I am considering is that they haven't offered yet until Fields decides. No one really knows what's going on there except for JF and Fields. Yes I know some say move on he isn't coming. But on reality only 2 people know. Could be Leary is backup plan. Express an interest and tell him you're going to monitor his progress this summer and fall. For all we know JF could have given Fields a date and said if you are not decided by then we are moving on.

1 other thing I am considering is that they haven't offered yet until Fields decides. No one really knows what's going on there except for JF and Fields. Yes I know some say move on he isn't coming. But on reality only 2 people know. Could be Leary is backup plan. Express an interest and tell him you're going to monitor his progress this summer and fall. For all we know JF could have given Fields a date and said if you are not decided by then we are moving on.
I mentioned last week about Slow Playing this would be the smart thing...but eh what do I know...;)

Reactions: LionJim and bwifan
Speaking of BOB.....crazy to think that it took Franklin getting to PSU for Barkley to get an offer. Imagine if he wasn't here.

BOB couldn't be bothered to recruit Josh Rosen, too, and the kid had serious interest in PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT