ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

BOB couldn't be bothered to recruit Josh Rosen, too, and the kid had serious interest in PSU.
There are a lot of reasons that it was a blessing when BOB left when he did - IMO

Not that I harbor any ill will, or that I don't think he is a very capable NFL coach.

But - I am very thankful that the Texans owner came in and made the crazy $$$ to take him.

If we had been married to BOB under that long term obligation that Fester negotiated, we would not be seeing PSU mentioned among the top tier programs in the country right now - IMO

There are a lot of reasons that it was a blessing when BOB left when he did - IMO

Not that I harbor any ill will, or that I don't think he is a very capable NFL coach.

But - I am very thankful that the Texans owner came in and made the crazy $$$ to take him.

If we had been married to BOB under that long term obligation that Fester negotiated, we would not be seeing PSU mentioned among the top tier programs in the country right now - IMO
Agree--need to take 1 step back (14'-15') to take 2 steps forward (16' & 17'* )

Speaking of BOB.....crazy to think that it took Franklin getting to PSU for Barkley to get an offer. Imagine if he wasn't here.

Bill O'B and CJF had very different approaches to recruiting. Hard to know how good Bill O'B would have been as a recruiter if he'd have shown up a few years later (after some of the heat subsided), but if I had to choose between them as recruiters, there's no question who I'd go with. Nonetheless, BO'B did a lot for PSU in those two years.

As for Barkley, he really blossomed in high school--as most do. If Barkley were interested in PSU by the time he blew up as a recruit, he likely would have gotten an offer regardless of who was coaching at PSU... Too many variables there to if-then...

But you're right. it does seem crazy to think there was ever a point where Barkley didn't have a PSU offer...

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Bill O'B and CJF had very different approaches to recruiting. Hard to know how good Bill O'B would have been as a recruiter if he'd have shown up a few years later (after some of the heat subsided), but if I had to choose between them as recruiters, there's no question who I'd go with. Nonetheless, BO'B did a lot for PSU in those two years.

As for Barkley, he really blossomed in high school--as most do. If Barkley were interested in PSU by the time he blew up as a recruit, he likely would have gotten an offer regardless of who was coaching at PSU... Too many variables there to if-then...

But you're right. it does seem crazy to think there was ever a point where Barkley didn't have a PSU offer...
Agree. Barkley committed so young to RU so saying it would not have happened is a stretch.

If B'OB would have stayed, all we would have heard was "when is he going to jump to the NFL". I was sick of it already. Franklin is a here to stay and is a great Program Builder as evident by PSU and Vandy.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It seems obvious that if Fields was out of the picture, Leary is the guy. The other 2 options seem like a bit of a stretch at this point. The lack of offer tells me Fields must still be in play. Fields own words don't really refute that either. He may just be overwhelmed by his sudden rise in the rankings and it's smartly taking a step back, unfortunately at our expense.

Obvious to someone that has no clue........

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Per a 247 thread, Isheem Young is going to announce his top five schools tonight and make a pool party commitment on June 26.

Your position is anti-factual. In exchange for Coach Franklin GUARANTEEING and RESERVING a scholarship for them, both Parsons and Fields gave their WORD OF HONOR publicly that they would SIGN AN LOI with Penn State in exchange for Coach Franklin earmarking, reserving and guaranteeing a scholarship for them in 2018 Class. You can spin it any way you like, both of these kids went back on their word and their commitment regarding their side of the deal they struck - your word is not worth much when you abjectly go back on what you have publicly sworn to ESPECIALLY when you are the party that ASKED for the deal in the first place! (i.e., asked Coach Franklin and PSU to reserve a scholarship in the 2018 Class in exchange for your sworn word that you would use it, because it meant that PSU was by-passing and forsaking other interested athletes at the position!). Their parents would be doing them a disservice if they didn't tell them that this is not a good look as far as "integrity" and "honor" go and that they should minimize the damage as much as possible with the words they choose in their announcement.

Again, any way you slice it, they are going back on their own sworn word and reneging on a deal they swore they would not renege on that has caused harm to the other party (i.e., acted in bad faith) - that is not a good thing for the recruit to do and should not be "praised" or "complimented". This is ESPECIALLY SO when the Coach has told the player that they do not want them to publicly "verbally commit" unless their "word is their bond" due to the "quid pro quo" the athlete is demanding (i.e., the reservation of a scholarship causing the program to by-pass and foresake other targets at the position to their own detriment)....and the athlete goes ahead and "doubles-down" telling the coach that this is what THEY WANT and DESIRE!
You hate Barkley, Cabinda, and Trace...wow...I didn't know that. You are the biggest blow hard victim homer around...you should get a trophy called the Mangina lifetime award. Anyone or thing that is pro PSU is great...anything that moves from PSU or is even slightly negative is a national catastrophe. It's pure comedy anymore.

Agree LaJolla. This guy talking about HONOR is comical.

Turns out Fields was on campus at UF for the day with his family on May 6 and by the end of today, will have visited Auburn, Georgia, and FSU this week. He will be at IMG this weekend with Cam Newrons all star team and will be going back to UF, maybe on the way home. Multiple articles say he favors the depth chart at FSU.

Myabe he will have a better feel on what he wants.

Last edited:
This morning's PG has article on Zubovic to pitt. Did he lose his spot to Effner with CJF/Limegrover confident about filling OL class with top targets....... We are obviously in great shape with OL talent.

Penn State will host a defensive line target from the Midwest this weekend.

West Des Moines, Iowa, four-star end John Waggoner will be on campus Friday for an unofficial visit, PennLive has confirmed. Lions247 first reported the trip, as the 6-foot-5, 230-pound prospect will be making his first trek to State College as a recruit.

The Lions offered back in April, and while in-state Iowa appears to be a heavy favorite, Waggoner has picked up an offer from Oklahoma and visited LSU recently, per 247Sports.

"Just hoping to get a good feel for the program," Waggoner told PennLive when asked what he hoped to see during his trip.

He had said back in April that he hoped to get to State College "soon," so this visit has been long in the making. He added then that: "Their recent success is very intriguing."

Four-star Paramus, N.J., defensive end Dorian Hardy was the program's first commitment at that position in the Class of 2018 after he committed last Sunday, and while Waggoner is indeed considered a long shot, his decision to pay his way to see campus puts the Lions in play, if nothing else.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Hey lion, how'd you get wind of this sir?
Freshwater-fishing.jpg.aspx

as usual

Reactions: LionJim and TheGLOV
Turns out Fields was on campus at UF for the day with his family on May 6 and by the end of today, will have visited Auburn, Georgia, and FSU this week. He will be at IMG this weekend with Cam Newrons all star team and will be going back to UF, maybe on the way home. Multiple articles say he favors the depth chart at FSU.

Cam Newton = Advi$or!!!

This morning's PG has article on Zubovic to pitt. Did he lose his spot to Effner with CJF/Limegrover confident about filling OL class with top targets....... We are obviously in great shape with OL talent.

No, no. The correct narrative, per the liar, is that Franklin wanted him desperately and that he chose pitt as the better program. Franklin now is despondent and is forced to scramble for the leftovers. pitt is it!

:confused:

A Florida fan on another site said Fields wants to re-decide before the end of summer. Don't know the veracity of that quote.

A Florida fan on another site said Fields wants to re-decide before the end of summer. Don't know the veracity of that quote.

Doubt Coach puts other prospects on ice (or attempts to mislead them about his true feelings or intentions) waiting for the decision of a prospect who has already reneged on his personal commitment and agreement to him specifically once before.... Coach Franklin seems like a "fool me twice shame on me" type of guy imho.

Doubt Coach puts other prospects on ice (or attempts to mislead them about his true feelings or intentions) waiting for the decision of a prospect who has already reneged on his personal commitment and agreement to him specifically once before.... Coach Franklin seems like a "fool me twice shame on me" type of guy imho.
Then you don't understand how recruiting and college football work. They all do the dance, but some are better at it than others.

Reactions: 81b&w and TheGLOV

Unless you are going to condemn Saquon Barkley, Kevin Givens, Nick Bowers, Trace McSorley, Saeed Blacknall, Fred Hansard, Koa Farmer, Garrett Taylor, and Dae'Lun Darien as having no character (they all reneged on their verbal committments to other schools to come to Penn State)....there is no point in bashing recruits who decide to reopen their committments. Not ideal, but this is the world of recruiting. Hope to get more than you give. Dog eat dog. Caveat emptor.

Then you don't understand how recruiting and college football work. They all do the dance, but some are better at it than others.

Actually this article, as well as its headline and sub-headline - see link below - would suggest that you don't understand, especially your massive over-generalization that all coaches conduct themselves in the same manner (which is complete laughable bull$hit and rubbish, but fairly typical of your spin and schtick):

You spewing more of your spew and spin which is self-serving to your bul$hit rhetoric-based arguments - go figure....:rolleyes:o_O:confused:

Actually this article, as well as its headline and sub-headline - see link below - would suggest that you don't understand, especially your massive over-generalization that all coaches conduct themselves in the same manner (which is complete laughable bull$hit and rubbish, but fairly typical of your spin and schtick):

You spewing more of your spew and spin which is self-serving to your bul$hit rhetoric-based arguments - go figure....:rolleyes:o_O:confused:

Your the biggest blowhard around. If you think they stopped recruiting Fields because you're butt hurt or aren't recruiting multiple kids at a spot, you're as dumb as your rants. They are still recruiting Fields. Another decommit will be on campus today....you live in a fantasy world where PSU football is the most ethical thing on the planet and everything else is scum. You're tired act should have hung up years ago. You live in a dream world and it's cute. They will continue to recruit kids that decommitted and still look at other options...not very hard to figure out.

Unless you are going to condemn Saquon Barkley, Kevin Givens, Nick Bowers, Trace McSorley, Saeed Blacknall, Fred Hansard, Koa Farmer, Garrett Taylor, and Dae'Lun Darien as having no character (they all reneged on their verbal committments to other schools to come to Penn State)....there is no point in bashing recruits who decide to reopen their committments. Not ideal, but this is the world of recruiting. Hope to get more than you give. Dog eat dog. Caveat emptor.

I'm not being critical -- I'm just saying that I'm doubtful that Coach Franklin attempts to put other targets on ice or mislead them about PSU's interest or intentions (i.e., the "commit-ability" of offers made to them) and this article would tend to support that view:

BTW, none of the parties you listed ever went back on agreements made via personal conversation specifically with Coach Franklin (i.e., the individuals and Coach Franklin) in direct personal conversations between the principals...., so I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.

Last edited:
Your the biggest blowhard around. If you think they stopped recruiting Fields because you're butt hurt or aren't recruiting multiple kids at a spot, you're as dumb as your rants. They are still recruiting Fields. Another decommit will be on campus today....you live in a fantasy world where PSU football is the most ethical thing on the planet and everything else is scum. You're tired act should have hung up years ago. You live in a dream world and it's cute. They will continue to recruit kids that decommitted and still look at other options...not very hard to figure out.

Not what I said dumb@ss, but fairly typical of you to attempt to change what others posted with your self-serving spin and rhetoric - again, go figure! I said it is highly doubtful that Coach Franklin puts any recruit "on ice" or attempts to mislead them in any fashion regarding PSU's interest or intentions (including the extension of a "commitable offer" that PSU fully intends to honor) to their own detriment...to advantage a second recruit who has already burned PSU via reneging on a commitment. I'm sure Coach Franklin has been perfectly candid with all QB Prospects at this point (JUST LIKE HE WAS THE FIRST GO AROUND WITH FIELDS, PATTERSON and LEARY), but he is not going to play games with some recruits to their own detriment in an effort to "advantage" another recruit who has already burned him with his words (let's not forget that Patterson was extremely interested in PSU prior to JF commitment and Patterson is now basically saying he has no interest in a second go around with PSU!).

Last edited:
Not what I said dumb@ss, but fairly typical of you to attempt to change what others posted with your self-serving spin and rhetoric - again, go figure! I said it is highly doubtful that Coach Franklin puts any recruit "on ice" or attempts to mislead them in any fashion regarding PSU's interest or intentions (including the extension of a "commitable offer" that PSU fully intends to honor) to their own detriment...to advantage a second recruit who has already burned PSU via reneging on a commitment. I'm sure Coach Franklin has been perfectly candid with all QB Prospects at this point (JUST LIKE HE WAS THE FIRST GO AROUND WITH FIELDS, PATTERSON and LEARY), but he is not going to play games with some recruits to their own detriment in an effort to "advantage" another recruit who has already burned him with his words (let's not forget that Patterson was extremely interested in PSU prior to JF commitment and Patterson is now basically saying he has no interest in a second go around with PSU!).

2018 recruiting thread...not BODE's fantasy rant channel.

255455992fa236ef42ad07b0efc147ec.jpg

Last edited:
Your opinions are not a reality. Every coach has to put kids on ice or slow down recruitments with certain kids. They don't like that game, but they all play it. Sorry Beav...it's not 1950 anymore.

Sorry dumb@ss, but again this article demonstrates that you are "wrong again" as per usual...go figure LMFAO:

Your insinuation that Coach Franklin is playing self-serving dishonorable games with Ruder, that are potentially detrimental to Ruder himself, is not only unsupported baseless bull$hit on your part (as per usual), but undeserved libelous spin aimed at Coach Franklin...IOW, more of your putrid garbage - again go figure.

Sorry dumb@ss, but again this article demonstrates that you are "wrong again" as per usual...go figure LMFAO:

Your insinuation that Coach Franklin is playing self-serving dishonorable games with Ruder, that are potentially detrimental to Ruder himself, is not only unsupported baseless bull$hit on your part (as per usual), but undeserved libelous spin aimed at Coach Franklin...IOW, more of your putrid garbage - again go figure.

FIRST offer, not the last dummy. Maybe if you paid for that site you might understand recruiting. Honestly you should or stick to legal stuff...this is your hero worshipping crap all over again. Ruder will probably commit to UNC this weekend and more offers will go out, this was a hail mary to try and stop that and get in the door. Then again...you don't follow recruiting so it's like talking to a squirrel. Other QB's are being contacted too....ooops...that is how it works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT