ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Word was that had Penn State been located in Columbus, he would have committed early. Location was a factor with his family.
I’d say within a 2-hour drive would have made Penn State a winner.
We might still be his favorite staff, to be totally honest.
They have LJ. Penn State has Pry, Spencer and Franklin.
i dont doubt that for a second
And, you/we shouldn’t.

My son is 2 1/2 hours from home as an 18-year going to school. No doubt his first semester he missed home.
Zach Harrison is only 17 and would be 6 hours from home. As much as Zach loved Creamery ice cream, Penn State was just too far away.

OL

Like I said earlier, misses two years in a row seriously criminal pled WR this year after older players failed to perform. No junior or seniors in the group. I like the talent come king up.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I’d say within a 2-hour drive would have made Penn State a winner.

They have LJ. Penn State has Pry, Spencer and Franklin.

And, you/we shouldn’t.

My son is 2 1/2 hours from home as an 18-year going to school. No doubt his first semester he missed home.
Zach Harrison is only 17 and would be 6 hours from home. As much as Zach loved Creamery ice cream, Penn State was just too far away.

OL

Penn State needs to consider a strategic relocation.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Like I said earlier, misses two years in a row seriously criminal pled WR this year after older players failed to perform. No junior or seniors in the group. I like the talent come king up.
Are you counting Johnson and Charles as misses? Because they came to PSU in 15. Who do you mean they missed on? We got Hamler in 17. 18 was historic good. So where are these two years?

@stormingnorm Had a really good post in here the other day, not sure what happened to it, but if going for 25 (7 more) then this is what makes the most sense:
  1. DT - Harrison-Hunte
  2. DT - Ellies
  3. DE - V. Smith
  4. OL - Nester
  5. WR - Henderson/Houston/Jones/yet to be offered
  6. Best available: S - Cross?
  7. Best available: DT - Sorrells?
Of course things don't happen based on what makes sense.

Let's refocus!!

1. DT - Harrison-Hunte
  2. DT - Ellies
  3. DE - V. Smith
  4. OL - Nester

Word was that had Penn State been located in Columbus, he would have committed early. Location was a factor with his family.

Interesting. I’m not saying it’s not true as I don’t know Harrison personally, but the word most of the recruiting process was that he didn’t commit earlier to OSU was because he wanted to move away so there would be less pressure. Pressure might be the wrong word- maybe hype is better as he seems to be a kid who doesn’t get into all the pomp and circumstance.

I think Larry Johnson was a big factor, and as to what else who knows. I do believe when he said it was really close between the three schools.

Anybody watch the HS all star game with Dixon and Wallace in it? Not seen a thread nor a comment about how they did.

What happened with the kid Xavier Truss? And no interest from Darnell Wright?

I mean these two would have to think they could possibly start really soon?

Anybody watch the HS all star game with Dixon and Wallace in it? Not seen a thread nor a comment about how they did.

Saw most of it ... left early since there were just the 2 Penn State guys to watch. I’m not football savvy enough to know what to look for on the OL other than whether a guy whiffs on a block allowing a sack. I didn’t see Wallace do anything of note.

Dixon played OLB and made a couple of tackles I think, but unless a defensive player makes a sack or intercepts a pass, it’s hard to tell too much. I did watch the UA game, and I think Cain, Ford, and Johnson looked impressive.

Sorry I can’t give you better analysis.

Saw most of it ... left early since there were just the 2 Penn State guys to watch. I’m not football savvy enough to know what to look for on the OL other than whether a guy whiffs on a block allowing a sack. I didn’t see Wallace do anything of note.

Dixon played OLB and made a couple of tackles I think, but unless a defensive player makes a sack or intercepts a pass, it’s hard to tell too much. I did watch the UA game, and I think Cain, Ford, and Johnson looked impressive.

Sorry I can’t give you better analysis.

You done great bud. I found an article, but it didn't mention either.

Let's refocus!!

1. DT - Harrison-Hunte
  2. DT - Ellies
  3. DE - V. Smith
  4. OL - Nester

Refocus until the quiet period is over.

1. DT - Harrison-Hunte
  2. DT - Ellies
  3. DE - V. Smith
  4. OL - Nester

I watched thew whole game focused mainly on the PSU Commits.

Wallace was the starting right guard so he got the most series. He looks lean and definitely can add good weight. He often pulled for both running (minimal) and passing plays. Showed really good feet. Was able to find his block and took it to the second level on a few occasions. On pass blocking he often doubled (with the center) the DT/Nose tackle from the West team. For the most part they neutralized him. He was definitely a wide body and probably outweighed Wallace by 50+ pounds easy. Occasionally he got the DT 1V1. For the most part he held his own. I think the NT got two significant pressures but no sacks. In summary I think he is an excellent prospect. He has great feet and above average strength. If he can add some weight and keep the mobility I think we have a really good prospect.

Dixon was second team MLB. He made two plays of note. A run to the left wherein he chased down the back. He also tackled a slippery WR in open field. He looks very lean and very fast. Because of the format the linebackers and particularly MLB get little action (commentary: the game has become a glorified 7V7 game. Probably 70% passing with focus on outside skill guys. The vanilla defense mandated 4/3 and requirement to play M2M really limits any LB to make a real impact). That being said I was impressed with Dixons ability to change direction and general speed. My guess is he grows into an ideal 3/4 outside LB as he definitely had coverage skills. I think this kid is a real athlete.

Other miscellaneous comments:

The Wisconsin QB commit Merz is really good.

David Bell made little impact but didn't appear to be targeted often

Alfano is a beast. That one hurts.

Former Kentucky commit that flipped to Nebraska is a jitterbug. Like Hamler.

I think the Big West had a good recruiting year. Nice to see some balance coming

I watched thew whole game focused mainly on the PSU Commits.

Wallace was the starting right guard so he got the most series. He looks lean and definitely can add good weight. He often pulled for both running (minimal) and passing plays. Showed really good feet. Was able to find his block and took it to the second level on a few occasions. On pass blocking he often doubled (with the center) the DT/Nose tackle from the West team. For the most part they neutralized him. He was definitely a wide body and probably outweighed Wallace by 50+ pounds easy. Occasionally he got the DT 1V1. For the most part he held his own. I think the NT got two significant pressures but no sacks. In summary I think he is an excellent prospect. He has great feet and above average strength. If he can add some weight and keep the mobility I think we have a really good prospect.

Dixon was second team MLB. He made two plays of note. A run to the left wherein he chased down the back. He also tackled a slippery WR in open field. He looks very lean and very fast. Because of the format the linebackers and particularly MLB get little action (commentary: the game has become a glorified 7V7 game. Probably 70% passing with focus on outside skill guys. The vanilla defense mandated 4/3 and requirement to play M2M really limits any LB to make a real impact). That being said I was impressed with Dixons ability to change direction and general speed. My guess is he grows into an ideal 3/4 outside LB as he definitely had coverage skills. I think this kid is a real athlete.

Other miscellaneous comments:

The Wisconsin QB commit Merz is really good.

David Bell made little impact but didn't appear to be targeted often

Alfano is a beast. That one hurts.

Former Kentucky commit that flipped to Nebraska is a jitterbug. Like Hamler.

I think the Big West had a good recruiting year. Nice to see some balance coming

Dixon is as you describe. Saw him a lot in HS and worked some camps with him. Very fast and instinctive, excels in pass coverage. Almost a mix of a SS and OLB but LB is his position. He's the new age LB. Lean, will have to add weight.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m not saying it’s not true as I don’t know Harrison personally, but the word most of the recruiting process was that he didn’t commit earlier to OSU was because he wanted to move away so there would be less pressure. Pressure might be the wrong word- maybe hype is better as he seems to be a kid who doesn’t get into all the pomp and circumstance.

I think Larry Johnson was a big factor, and as to what else who knows. I do believe when he said it was really close between the three schools.
If he isn’t happy next year, maybe PSU can sign him as a free agent. ;)

Reactions: cjrugger
CB today for Smith Vibert to PSU....by

838523.jpg

Chris Nee
Florida State Insider

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT