ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Place was pretty packed. Great rivalry w the Mets.

One small step.

Did anybody else think it was ridiculous to play that shift against Gibson, an AL pitcher with little hitting experience? A regular defense it was still 1-1. Talk about overthinking shiz. But too bad, the Mets overthought it and it bit them in the ass. I imagine they didn't think he'd pull but he did.

My kid called it "Gabermetrics."

Last edited:
Good game for the Phillies up to the 9th, but where do they find these relievers?!?! Same old story...at least it has been hits, not walks so far, so at least the other team has to do SOMETHING to earn it...but unfortunately not much.
:mad:

EDIT: There is the WALK...smh

EDIT #2: Kennedy comes through...RING THE BELL...thankfully...albeit not devoid of unnecessary stress LOL.

Last edited:
Good game for the Phillies up to the 9th, but where do they find these relievers?!?! Same old story...at least it has been hits, not walks so far, so at least the other team has to do SOMETHING to earn it...but unfortunately not much.
:mad:

EDIT: There is the WALK...smh

EDIT #2: Kennedy comes through...RING THE BELL...thankfully...albeit not devoid of unnecessary stress LOL.
Can’t say I remember a relief pitcher giving up 3 dingers without getting an out.
Whoever that was, I hope he gets sent down to the minors.

Reactions: royboy and jjw165
200.gif

Weekend went far better than I imagined. Consider the 26 or something blown saves...let's say the Phils had 8 more wins that they should have had, not all 26. Cruising to the div.

But what's done is done, tough six coming up. If we win one from LA I'll be OK with it.

my gosh, this guy behind the plate in today's game is brutal. In the top of the 9th, he's called two different 3-2 pitches as balls that replay showed were strikes. So instead of game over, Phils win 2-1, it's Phils up 2-1, 2 out, and Dodgers on 1st and 2nd. Absolutely brutal.

Reactions: jjw165 and Relayer
my gosh, this guy behind the plate in today's game is brutal. In the top of the 9th, he's called two different 3-2 pitches as balls that replay showed were strikes. So instead of game over, Phils win 2-1, it's Phils up 2-1, 2 out, and Dodgers on 1st and 2nd. Absolutely brutal.
Was going to post the same, brutal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha...good for Girardi

"Well, I did learn that Ian Kennedy could get a five-out save," a visibly irritated Girardi said about his ejection by home plate umpire Alfonso Marquez.

It was Kennedy's third save in six appearances with the Phillies since coming over in a July 30 trade with Texas.

"He's done this his whole career," Harper said. "He's been in pressure situations and gone through that. There's no worry when he comes in the game. We have all the confidence in the world when he comes into the game."

Reactions: jjw165 and Shadow99
Miller's defensive gaffe set the tone tonight. I replayed that 5 times and still can't believe he effed it up. Reds up 4-0 in the 7th.

Miller's defensive gaffe set the tone tonight. I replayed that 5 times and still can't believe he effed it up. Reds up 4-0 in the 7th.

that was pretty bad. Mistake #1 on the play was not making the underhanded toss to Wheeler. When he decided to take it himself, he then made mistake #2, in that he took a half step for whatever reason, instead of just running hard through the bag.

The Reds' offense is formidable. I thought that Wheeler could neutralize them them. The Reds' weakness is their bullpen. Mahle gave the Reds 7 scoreless innings. Lorenzen is in for them in the 8th; not sure if the Phils are going to be able to generate 4 runs to tie things up, or 4+ runs to win the game.

Reactions: royboy
I think the jury is in on this team this year: We are an average team in a weak conference. On top of that, we can't stay healthy. I don't think I've ever seen a year when the Phillies have had so many injuries.

If we had a reasonable bullpen, we'd be an above average team in a weak conference and we'd be up 10 games now.

Reactions: jjw165
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT