ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Phils fans, is Harper tradable after this season? He had a full no-trade and would need to bless the destination, but he’s having a really good year. It feels like a good point for both parties to get out.

The Phillies need youth and potential. Their timetable no longer aligns with that of Harper (or even Realmuto at this point).

The past couple of “meh” seasons have proven that out.
If he's smart he'll demand a trade. The only difference between this organization and the Titanic is the Titanic had a band.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Will the '61 Phils get wiped from the record book? As of now it looks like the Orioles will lose #20 in a row tonight. One more loss to the Angels and a weekend sweep by the Rays will give them 24 straight losses. Nothing against the O's but I'd be OK with them taking over that stat. Afterward they can go on a 24 game win streak.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Will the '61 Phils get wiped from the record book? As of now it looks like the Orioles will lose #20 in a row tonight. One more loss to the Angels and a weekend sweep by the Rays will give them 24 straight losses. Nothing against the O's but I'd be OK with them taking over that stat. Afterward they can go on a 24 game win streak.
Who remembers. I think John Buzhard (SP) got the win, not worth checking. Think Callison was on that team.

Who remembers. I think John Buzhard (SP) got the win, not worth checking. Think Callison was on that team.

I don't remember the entire lineup. Ruben Amaro, Sr. was the SS. Bobby Malkmus and Tony Taylor were the 2nd baseman. Callison was the RF. Tony Gonzalez was another OF. Gus Triandos was the C, though Clay Dalrymple also played C. The starting pitchers were Chris Short, Jim Owens, Art Mahaffey. I think Jack Baldschun was also a starter. Robin Roberts was a reliever, and I think Don Ferrarese and Frank Sulliveran were also relievers.

And yes, John Buzhardt did get the win. I'm pretty sure Buzhardt was also the pitcher that won the last game the Phils won before the 23-game losing streak.

Interestingly, their last loss in the streak was to Warren Spahn.

Looks like I may have jinxed the Orioles into a victory. My apologies to the '61 Phillies.

damn, Phils almost pulled it out in the 9th inning. They trailed 8-2 heading into the bottom of the 9th, scored 5 runs, and had a man on 1st with 2 out. Alas, Brad Miller struck out on 3 straight change ups (called striker, swing and a miss on an outside pitch, and swing and a miss on a good pitch on the insider corner).

Blew a 6-4 lead in the 9th. Tied 11th. I kinda hope it goes 29 innings and they lose, using Knapp as a pitcher. It's impossible rooting for this team or any Phila team. Endless losing.

The Phillies are unbelievably horra-awful.

Yay,.

You beat the worst team in baseball, other than you. Once. in extras. In six tries.

Blow it up

Last edited:
The lads are certainly no slouch to top 33 blown saves. No big deal, if they won half of those games the Phillies would be running away and hiding from the rest of the div.

Trust Joe, he's great. Trust the F.O., they're awesome. Trust Hector, trust JT. Trust Didi to throw it in the stands twice a game.

By all means give Matt Moore a 15 year, 600 Million dollar contract before somebody else snaps him up.

Last edited:
My wife and I took our six year old daughter to her first Phillies game last night. Despite the Phils ability to play down to their competition and find a way to nearly blow another game, I think we created a big fan. She was enamored by the environment, ate plenty of junk food, and got a picture with the Phanatic during the 7th inning stretch that was shown on the jumbo TV. We may not be a good team, but at least we enjoyed a fun family night at the ballpark. Maybe we can get to another one before the end of the season.

My wife and I took our six year old daughter to her first Phillies game last night. Despite the Phils ability to play down to their competition and find a way to nearly blow another game, I think we created a big fan. She was enamored by the environment, ate plenty of junk food, and got a picture with the Phanatic during the 7th inning stretch that was shown on the jumbo TV. We may not be a good team, but at least we enjoyed a fun family night at the ballpark. Maybe we can get to another one before the end of the season.
Good work!

And just think about the lessons of humility and disappointments in life she'll learn if she follows the Phillies.

Reactions: jjw165
Thanks for the link. Fans around the league love to burn on him about the contract and the money but of all the manifold problems this club deals with from the top down, he's not among them. He hustles, his numbers are outstanding, he's a good citizen (as far as we know), above average defensive OF and he makes a trainload of money. He would have gotten his money no matter where he went.

In an organization that ruins talent in a wide variety of ways, he swims against the current and continues to perform at a high level. Might as well enjoy it for as long as we can.

Trust Joe, he's great. Trust the F.O., they're awesome. Trust Hector, trust JT. Trust Didi to throw it in the stands twice a game.
Dont forget the awesome analytics and medical teams that dictate the game to Joe

I don't remember the entire lineup. Ruben Amaro, Sr. was the SS. Bobby Malkmus and Tony Taylor were the 2nd baseman. Callison was the RF. Tony Gonzalez was another OF. Gus Triandos was the C, though Clay Dalrymple also played C. The starting pitchers were Chris Short, Jim Owens, Art Mahaffey. I think Jack Baldschun was also a starter. Robin Roberts was a reliever, and I think Don Ferrarese and Frank Sulliveran were also relievers.

And yes, John Buzhardt did get the win. I'm pretty sure Buzhardt was also the pitcher that won the last game the Phils won before the 23-game losing streak.

Interestingly, their last loss in the streak was to Warren Spahn.
While in college, summer job was delivering mail, delivered to Buzhardt's house. In later years Callison was a bar tender in the Doylestown area.

4.5 back. As absurd as that seems they are not out of it here going into September. It's quite the debacle. Mets 3 behind Phila. I dare say the Mets are close to done. Phils are close to done too. They had every chance in the world. The game upon game summer of no hits and no pitching are haunting. Even a pedestrian bullpen would have them smashing this div. But this is what they do. No surprise.

3-1, walk. Walk. Walk a guy on 4 pitches. Hit a guy. Walk. HR.

2-0, homer. 3-1 double. Pitching change. Hit the guy. Single. Error. Walk. Homer. Down 7. Etc.

Leaderless. But this seems to be how we think we're going to win anymore. No leadership, no accountability. Joe has the big contract and has a ring so he can do anything he wants. Fine. Make one of your things you like to do winning ball games.

I don't hate Joe, he's done some crazy shit and is not forthcoming with info and I don't hate the guy ( as a manager) obviously he could be Mother Theresa.

Fact is he fux up a lot. A lot. Anybody on this thread could have won a ring with the team he had in 09. Not saying, just saying.

Last edited:
here;s the thing ok? Nobody wants to hear this but you have to get back to the old days.

This shit of a guy not being able to go two days in a row out of the bullpen is nonsense.

Joe, (I like Joe, ok) but him pulling Rhys a day after he hit two bombs is unbelievably stupid. If he was hurt say so. All this secret squirrel shiz doesn't help. If a guy can't play he can't play. The league will find out soon enough. If he can play you are klling our chances not playing him.

Any bullpen guy should be able to go two days in a row. This is a joke and I know it's not just the Phillies. You're asking a guy to pitch the equivalent of three innings. What in fresh hell is the problem. We're not asking Ron Reed to go four and go three again tomorrow. But he would if you wanted.

Last edited:
After tonight's win the Phils are currently closer to the wild card (3 games out) than the Braves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjw165 and royboy
After tonight's win the Phils are currently closer to the wild card (3 games out) than the Braves.
Tough stretch for the Braves.

They're currently down 5-0 to the Dodgers, have two more in LA, then 4 games at Colorado. Good opportunity for the Phillies to tighten up the division race.

Reactions: Relayer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT