ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

I think the jury is in on this team this year: We are an average team in a weak conference. On top of that, we can't stay healthy. I don't think I've ever seen a year when the Phillies have had so many injuries.

If we had a reasonable bullpen, we'd be an above average team in a weak conference and we'd be up 10 games now.
The bullpen has become less of an issue with Kennedy as a legitimate 9th inning closer and others pitching better in set-up roles.

Biggest issue IMO is offensive inconsistency, just going stretches of games without much run production. And, yeah, injuries are playing a part in that. Some of the injury bug relates to the age of key players on the roster, plenty of over 30-year old guys (McCutcheon, Miller, Realmuto, Gregorius, Segura)

Bradley gave up a homer in the 8th. As he's leaving the field at the end of the inning and the broadcast is cutting away to commercial, Bradley can be seen showing his cap to the home plate umpire. Is it SOP for the pitcher to be inspected by the umpire at the end of an inning or do they only search guys who give up home runs?

I think the jury is in on this team this year: We are an average team in a weak conference. On top of that, we can't stay healthy. I don't think I've ever seen a year when the Phillies have had so many injuries.

If we had a reasonable bullpen, we'd be an above average team in a weak conference and we'd be up 10 games now.
Agree with much of what you say but injuries can't be an excuse. Check the Mets (DeGrom, Lindor, Baez,++), Braves (Acuna plus pitching). Braves loaded up on offense at the deadline. Phillies got serviceable pitching but now lack offense.

Bradley gave up a homer in the 8th. As he's leaving the field at the end of the inning and the broadcast is cutting away to commercial, Bradley can be seen showing his cap to the home plate umpire. Is it SOP for the pitcher to be inspected by the umpire at the end of an inning or do they only search guys who give up home runs?
I believe every pitcher is inspected after he leaves the mound at the end of an inning. They rarely show this on TV.

Need Nola to be the ace tomorrow.
Truer words have never been spoken. Nola was dealing on Tuesday vs LA before the rain delay. Hope this continues tomorrow. Wow, the Nats have officially bottomed out and just two years removed from winning it all.

Reactions: LionsandBear
I really feel like we would have faired better against LA if not for the weather. Oh well, time to rebound with another series win against a good team in the Reds.

Nola lost command of his fastball, which didn't help. The Phils bullpen gave up too many runs, and the home plate ump had a pretty poor game (what is with this crew?). Phillies lose 7-4 to the Reds.

Nola lost command of his fastball, which didn't help. The Phils bullpen gave up too many runs, and the home plate ump had a pretty poor game (what is with this crew?). Phillies lose 7-4 to the Reds.
Don't know if the Reds can make the playoffs, but they do have some competent batters who know what to do with mistake pitches. They hit 6 HRs in 3-game series.

Reactions: auxgym
Short-term trend or beginning of the end?

Aug. 17: D-backs 3, Phillies 2 -- Offense in a funk
The Phillies batted .289 with a .901 OPS during their eight-game winning streak, hitting 16 homers and scoring 55 runs (6.9 per game). They have lost five of seven since then. They are batting .183 with a .556 OPS in that stretch, hitting just four homers and scoring only 17 runs (2.4 per game).

Short-term trend or beginning of the end?

Aug. 17: D-backs 3, Phillies 2 -- Offense in a funk
The Phillies batted .289 with a .901 OPS during their eight-game winning streak, hitting 16 homers and scoring 55 runs (6.9 per game). They have lost five of seven since then. They are batting .183 with a .556 OPS in that stretch, hitting just four homers and scoring only 17 runs (2.4 per game).

Well, it was a fun week being in first place. Thankfully I did not see the game last night. I can see the Braves running away with the division. They beat the bad teams.

• Sad
Reactions: Shadow99
Time to put a fork in these losers. Can't lose to the worst team in baseball in the midst of a division race.

Bring on football season. Baseball is officially over for me this year.

Going to get sweep by Ari, 8 hits in 3 games
This and the Pirates series. If by some miracle they fall a game or two short there are abundant reasons why but these will be glaring examples of wasted opportunities.

Going to get sweep by Ari, 8 hits in 3 games
This is the same Phillies team it's been all season. One 8-game streak didn't change their underlying problems across the board. It will be a really interesting off season.

Dombrowski is good at spending money and getting a contending roster over the hump. The creative brief with this franchise may be more teardown and rebuild from now on.

Reactions: WaylonJ
tumblr_mb2w5jbihJ1rge74zo1_400.png

Bats finally come alive in the 3rd inning against the Padres. Phils up 3-0

Phil's got the win, 4-3. Pretty crazy 8th inning where the Phils got an insurance run in the top half, and the Padres scored one in the bottom half when they loaded the bases and the Phils' reliever hit the batter. And Machado and the Padres skipper got tossed for arguing balls and strikes when Machado struck out with the bases loaded. An entertaining game, after the string of recent disappointments.

Reactions: royboy
Nola had a no hitter going into the 7th but good ole Miller bitches a routine grounder which leads to Machadonsimgling in the tying run. 1-1 top of 8, Phil’s with 3 hits, HR by Herrera and two hits by Harper. Anemic!

Nola had a no hitter going into the 7th but good ole Miller bitches a routine grounder which leads to Machadonsimgling in the tying run. 1-1 top of 8, Phil’s with 3 hits, HR by Herrera and two hits by Harper. Anemic!
Bitches. Botches. Butches. All are good verbs. Hell of a way to end a perfect game and cause Nola to put in more work. At least the hit by Machado wasn't a cheapo.

Nola leads off the top of the the 8th with a double. Herrera bunts him over to third. Segura with a 3-2 count, and works a walk, bringing up Bryce. Bryce starts off with 2 balls, then fouls off 2, then gets to 3-2, and walks as he's nearly hit by a pitch, loading the bases. That brings Didi to the plate, and he's hit on the first pitch, putting the Phils up 2-1. Pitching change for the Padres, with bases loaded and 1 out. That bring Cutch to the plate. He's quickly down 0-2, then fouls off a couple, and is called out on a check swing. Tough call -- could have gone either way. Bases loaded, 2 out, and Brad Miller to the plate. Miller gets a ball, then takes 2 called strikes, then a ball to make it 2-2, then fouls it off, then fouls off a pitch, and then he's hit by a pitch, making it 3-1 Phils. Torreyes to the plate, and he quickly falls behind 0-2, and then is punched out on a called strike. Phils had the bases loaded, and never got a hit. smh. Oh well, 2 runs in the top of the 8th is nice.

Damn it. Nola with a 3-1 lead, and 1 on, and 2 out, and a 3-1 count, in the bottom of the 9th, and he serves up a game tying HR to centerfield. smh

Knapp is a Little League catcher. But I can't totally blame him, this team is full of flaws.

At least we can look back fondly to that one glorious day when the Phils were in first place. Or was it two days? But it doesn't matter. This team doesn't have it for the long haul. Woefully inconsistent offense. Bad defense. Weak bullpen. Watching them makes me feel like I'm being waterboarded.

McKKKKKutchen. I love the guy but five whiffs is bad.
Is that the platinum sombrero?

The team is trashola. I quit. There's no hope for ten years. The pitching sucks, the hitting sucks, the defense is a joke, the coaching is a joke. There's no hope in the minors. Other than that, they're locked in.

I regret every second I spent watching these clowns. I was at a Steeler gathering tonight and took shit from every corner about being a Philly fan. I have for many years. I'm done. The teams are absolute garbage. Stop supporting all of them. They are playing you.

Six hundred bucks to go to a Sixer game two years ago. What is an eagles game, about $1500? To see five interceptions and 16 penalties?

Last edited:
True, but the offense had a couple chances to pile on runs.
They couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle. In fact if two guys didn't get HBP they'd have one run. The team and the staff are absolute garbage.

Yet shills like Ruben will tell you how great they are and it was a tough night. It's always a tough night when you suck. You were up 3-1.

The Phillies machine is still living on its 2008 reputation. Might surprise them to know all those guys are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestSideLion
They couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle. In fact if two guys didn't get HBP they'd have one run. The team and the staff are absolute garbage.

Yet shills like Ruben will tell you how great they are and it was a tough night. It's always a tough night when you suck. You were up 3-1.

The Phillies machine is still living on its 2008 reputation. Might surprise them to know all those guys are gone.
It’s a garbage team that’s expensive as hell and full of veterans. This isn’t 2005 when the team was .500 and full of promising young players. Blow it up.

I regret every second I spent watching these clowns. I was at a Steeler gathering tonight and took shit from every corner about being a Philly fan. I have for many years. I'm done. The teams are absolute garbage. Stop supporting all of them. They are playing you.
taking shit from Pirate fans or Steeler fans or just anti Philly fans?

Well ....he did pitch like an Ace.......but I think Girardi left him in one batter too long.

Nola deserved better but that's what happens when the bullpen isn't reliable.
Yeah, what a disappointment for Nola.
  • His family shows up in force to watch him and also his brother who plays for San Diego
  • They actually see brother vs brother
  • Aaron pitches great for 8 innings and gets within 1 batter of a complete game (when he is on, it's delightful to see how efficient he is, producing ground balls and strike outs)
  • He even provides offense (while pretty much everyone else but Harper did nothing) with a double and scored the go-ahead run
  • After exiting the game in the 9th, he gets to watch the Phillies botch the 10th inning for the loss

• His family shows up in force to watch him and also his brother who plays for San Diego
  • Aaron pitches great for 8 innings and gets within 1 batter of a complete game (when he is on, it's delightful to see how efficient he is, producing ground balls and strike outs)
  • He even provides offense (while pretty much everyone else but Harper did nothing) with a double and scored the go-ahead run
  • After exiting the game in the 9th, he gets to watch the Phillies botch the 10th inning for the loss
That was very cool for the parents to see their boys playing head to head

Cronenworth is a baller. Surprised he gave him a hanger in the middle of the plate. I'm thinking Nola will regret not going hard stuff.

Phils fans, is Harper tradable after this season? He had a full no-trade and would need to bless the destination, but he’s having a really good year. It feels like a good point for both parties to get out.

The Phillies need youth and potential. Their timetable no longer aligns with that of Harper (or even Realmuto at this point).

The past couple of “meh” seasons have proven that out.

Phils fans, is Harper tradable after this season? He had a full no-trade and would need to bless the destination, but he’s having a really good year. It feels like a good point for both parties to get out.

The Phillies need youth and potential. Their timetable no longer aligns with that of Harper (or even Realmuto at this point).

The past couple of “meh” seasons have proven that out.
I like Harper on the team. He hustles and plays hard. I agree with what you wrote but I don't know how many teams would be willing to take on that contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT