ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Southern scuffle

Nevills up on mat 6 now. N. loses 1-0. Couldn't get out from bottom.

Last edited:
Mostly agree. He’s not ready yet. Question is whether given his superior skill set, can he get ready by March? Will he score more than Edsell at NCAAs? That’s the only question. Wasting a shirt is not relevant, he can shirt next season.
People need to just settle on the fact that right now Alex is redshirting. Casey said as much the other week. I don’t expect to see him or SVN any more this season unless they’re wrestling unattached in one of those lower level tourneys.

That makes no sense unless he's actually injured. The coaches will want to see him against O'Toole in the semis. And I'll he loses in whatever round, they'll want to see how he responds in consis.

I'll try my best to do PBP when I am watching, but I'm probably going to be pulled away from my desk for a bit.

People need to just settle on the fact that right now Alex is redshirting. Casey said as much the other week. I don’t expect to see him or SVN any more this season unless they’re wrestling unattached in one of those lower level tourneys.
Exactly and next year when they roll out they will look a lot different because of it. I remember when Zain took that year off and came back it was a completely different wrestler we were seeing although his redshirt was his sophomore year but same idea

Thanks for your unsolicited suggestion. I’ll take it into consideration. Or, I won’t.

Really, really hope Beard doesn’t transfer. He’s a beast.
It is a shame to let such good talent go to waste, especially for a kid that was committed to us out of high school, while we still have holes in other parts of the lineup. Hopefully Cael will figure it out.

Reactions: diggerpup
2:15 p.m.*Championship Round of 16
4:00 p.m.*2nd Round of Consolations
5:45 p.m.*3rd Round of Consolations
7:30 p.m.Championship Quarterfinals & 4th Round of Consolations
Sunday, January 2nd
10:00 a.m.Doors Open for Spectators
11:00 a.m.5th Round of Consolation
1:00 p.m.Championship Semifinals
Consolation Quarterfinals
3:00 p.m.*Consolation Semifinals
7:00 p.m.Championship Finals & Medal Matches
* Denotes approximate start times.

As of today, if Facundo’s RS was pulled, he’d wrestle:

Maryland: NR (but beat Facundo)
Indiana: NR
Michigan: 11
Iowa: 1
OSU: 6
Nebraska: NR
Rider: NR

Guys he could see at B1Gs: #9 Hamiti, #20 Braunagel, #21 Sparks.

Likely a losing B1G record heading into the conference tournament.

Whatever floats your boat, smart guy. Go ahead and bang your head against the wall all you like, it’s not gonna make a lick of difference.
No problem, don’t mind if I do. Plans to redshirt can change, just ask Mark Hall.

Facundo scores more than Edsell, IMO. Burning the redshirt is completely irrelevant. He can shirt next year. We won’t need any points at 165 to win a title next year. This year we might.

As of today, if Facundo’s RS was pulled, he’d wrestle:

Maryland: NR (but beat Facundo)
Indiana: NR
Michigan: 11
Iowa: 1
OSU: 6
Nebraska: NR
Rider: NR

Guys he could see at B1Gs: #9 Hamiti, #20 Braunagel, #21 Sparks.

Likely a losing B1G record heading into the conference tournament.
He’d beat Maryland guy second time. Beats Indy, Neb an Rider too.

If Spencer is done as previously stated (reported by Mineo, and talk of it on HR), does that change anyones opinion of pulling Facundo's shirt? I'm in the boat of not pulling it either way, but some view it different. But to those that want the shirt to be pulled, if Spencer is indeed done, that means Iowa won't score near the points. I have been super impressed with Ayala and think he's a better option than Ybarra, but I don't think they pull his shirt either. I'm interested to see if this changes anyones view.

frankly a lot more to like in that loss than in a lot of his wins. opened up quite a bit. one consequence of not being a willing attacker is that you end up not being a great finisher because you don’t put yourself in those positions enough. the best way to learn is exposure and experience. DT talks about this a lot. if he opens up like that in the rest of his matches, he might lose more this year, but he’ll be a better wrestler for it in the long run. it’s a perfect case for a redshirt. he’s not far away.

If Spencer is done as previously stated (reported by Mineo, and talk of it on HR), does that change anyones opinion of pulling Facundo's shirt? I'm in the boat of not pulling it either way, but some view it different. But to those that want the shirt to be pulled, if Spencer is indeed done, that means Iowa won't score near the points. I have been super impressed with Ayala and think he's a better option than Ybarra, but I don't think they pull his shirt either. I'm interested to see if this changes anyones view.
Why would Spencer be done? Didn't he just wrestle?

If I were Cael, watching both of those matches today, pulling his shirt wouldn’t enter my mind.

Not just point scoring skill is lacking, but mat IQ. He’s too cautious and isn’t a) attacking enough b) not putting himself in situations to convert ugly attempts, let alone clean ones.

Reactions: gptakba
Why would Spencer be done? Didn't he just wrestle?

I’d imagine Spencer also goes to practice and wrestles people there, too. Plenty of opportunity to hurt yourself.

Hell, my NCAA track career ended when I slipped on black ice, walking to class.

Last edited:
I’d imagine Spencer also goes to practice and wrestles people there, too. Plenty of opportunity to hurt yourself.

Hell, my NCAA track career when I slipped on black ice, walking to class.
You're right, I had not seen anything about him being done. So, I guess I missed it.

It is a shame to let such good talent go to waste, especially for a kid that was committed to us out of high school, while we still have holes in other parts of the lineup. Hopefully Cael will figure it out.
Is what it is. If you want to be in the lineup you have to win in the room. That is the priceless thing about wrestling. The are no politics or favoritism. You win or lose your spot on the mat!

Good question.
For me, doesn’t change much. Kind of thought he should RS before and do now.

I’m not sure what anybody has seen from Facundo that makes them confident he can qualify, let alone score, at NCAA this year.

Reactions: Ski
That changes a lot.

I’m not sure what anybody has seen from Facundo that makes them confident he can qualify, let alone score, at NCAA this year.
I think too many of our wrestling board members were drinking 'Sudden Wisdom' last night. My cousin told me his son-in-law said too much of 'Sudden Wisdom' Kentucky bourbon and it's instant azzhole!

Looks like we ride with the Edsall...as in Creighton. Well...r12 as his ceiling who knows? Gonna give up points no matter what at 57 and 65 to Iowa anyway. Gotta do it bonus style again!

It will be very interesting to see how Ayala finishes this tournament now. He has a TF and MD thus far. The major was against Witcraft - a NQ in the year that wasnt (2020).

It will be very interesting to see how Ayala finishes this tournament now. He has a TF and MD thus far. The major was against Witcraft - a NQ in the year that wasnt (2020).

I think Ayala is an AA for sure, he might even surprise. Loosing Spencer would be huge but far from a 20 point loss.

Likewise, Hildy is far from an automatic AA. We all are optimistic, but he needs some serious mat time over the next 2 months. He didn't dominate his way to 4th last year and this Year's field is much deeper. If he gets a poor seed it could prove challenging.

Back to Lee. If true I am more bummed at no Suriano vs Lee, than happy about Iowa losing any points. Lee Vs Arujau would have been great too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT