ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Southern scuffle

Before Alex's SV takedown, only 1 point was scored in 6 periods between Alex and Matt Lee

• Sad
Reactions: RLSalty
Let’s not write Facundo off yet. He gutted out a clutch win against an experienced Junior. Let’s see what he does with the 5 seed, Bullard.
That's true, the guy he beat did qualify for NCAAs last year, though in the last couple years he has no top33 (per wrestlestat rankings) wins. Gutty win in OT

Reactions: NittanyChris
I've said this about BB and I wonder if it’s true with Facundo:

Are some of our younger guys just a bit hesitant to take a shot because they get destroyed (by, oh, Zain, Nick or Carter) if they don’t convert?

Are some of our younger guys just a bit hesitant to take a shot because they get destroyed (by, oh, Zain, Nick or Carter) if they don’t convert?

I would think it plays a part in it. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: RLSalty

Boy, I sure hope not. When I started wrestling, I quickly figured out the solution was to get a lot better with my neutral offense, not to stop shooting.

Reactions: diggerpup

Interesting thought. You could also see trying to convert on Zain, Nick and Carter making it easier against the Barczaks of the world.

Alex has to figure it out. Can't just shoot in and get stuffed.

1-1 Alex escape

Honestly, not a great showing from Alex in regulation.

OT

Bad offense, but great defense. Sloppy, tired shots.

Facundo's countering won him that match with a TD in OT.
This shouldn't be a big surprise IMO. The "book" on Facundo in high school was elite defense but limited offense against better competition,

Boy, I sure hope not. When I started wrestling, I quickly figured out the solution was to get a lot better with my neutral offense, not to stop shooting.
I doubt that is a factor. But some guys seem to be waiting for the perfect setup, which is rarely there.-

I doubt that is a factor. But some guys seem to be waiting for the perfect setup, which is rarely there.-
That can be caused from wrestling much better partners daily. (Zain, Nolf, Carter ex..). If your setup isn’t perfect against them, you have no chance at even getting to the legs, let alone finishing.

Carter spent an entire first year in that room never being allowed a takedown.

That's true, the guy he beat did qualify for NCAAs last year, though in the last couple years he has no top33 (per wrestlestat rankings) wins. Gutty win in OT
We aren’t scoring points at this weight at NCAAs. I’m not sure why people think it’s even a remote chance. Facundo can be an elite kid this year but as a true freshman wrestling against 6/7 year guys the redshirt, these tournaments and in the room will get him there for a great run. Let’s be clear, we all say Cael is a great recruiter but even better coach. Guys like Facundo need time and work. The answer here was Wick and it didn’t work, likely not because of Cael.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
Edit - removed my reply as it distracts the discussion of the Scuffle.

Last edited:
Was stuffed, on one knee, other guy had head control, let facundo up, and alex instantly shot and got the TD. Smart wrestling.
Seemed like up to that point, most (all?) of Alex’s shots were from space. A lot of hand fighting and tie ups that didn’t progress to more offensive action. There were shots from way out.

I want Seth to mash Kerkvliet into the ground on top in practice every day.

If Kerkvliet can get away on bottom, he’ll be in great shape for Parris and Cassioppi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT