ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

Vito
giphy.gif

Holy shit, that was brutal.

Beautiful 2 at the buzzer for Nick but they say it came after the whistle.

2 and another 2 on a gut in the 2nd for Nick makes it 5-4 McKenna. 2 more on a counter and adds 2 on a lace! 8-5 Nick. Nick with another counter to a quad pod, breaks him down, gets another 2! 10-5, and that's how it ends! Nick is off to Final X to face Yianni! Maybe Yianni will try this time.

Couple thoughts from recent matches:

1) Beau looked tiny compared to Kolodzik. Had a hard time penetrating.

2) Sasso looks bigger than Berger. Chest wraps for days. Sammy getting 2 and giving up 1 multiple times.

3) Berger at the end!

So what do we think about Nolf vs Cenzo?! I’m a Nolf homer but also just think he has jumped levels in his freestyle game. Think he has too much for Cenzo.

So what do we think about Nolf vs Cenzo?! I’m a Nolf homer but also just think he has jumped levels in his freestyle game. Think he has too much for Cenzo.
I'd be surprised if Nolf doesn't comfortably control the match.

Wow, concrete hips by Cenzo for 4! 4-0 Cenzo. Cenzo seems to have a strength advantage and heavy hands. Nolf with some good shots, but Cenzo's hips are otherworldly. Jason about gets a step out at the end of the period but runs out if time. 4-0 Joseph at the break.

Body lock for Nolf, loses control but gets 1 + 1 on a step out and caution. 4-2. Jason in on a deep single and goes feet to back for 4 PPB. Single for Jason right off the restart and feet to back again for 4! 10-4 Jason. Shot for Cenzo, Jason circles and they go out of bounds. Ruled grounded. Cenzo shoots, Jason defends. Stalemate. Nolf gets called for fleeing. 10-5 Nolf and that's how it ends! Jason to Final X against Dake!

Last edited:
For awhile I thought Joseph might win it. Big 4 point counter early that for a second looked like it could turn into a pin. Then stuffing everything Nolf was throwing at him. But Nolf stayed at it and got some savvy big points. Running him out and then going feet to back as they went OOB.

At this point Iowa doesn’t compare to PSU, and barring some unforeseen developments, the gap will continue to widen. They’ll be lucky to be a top 5 team in the future.
Let’s see now - Lee, Nolf, Joseph and Brooks. That’s 4 in the finals again unless I missed someone else. Seems like we are becoming pretty consistent in national tournaments.

Reactions: diggerpup and Grass
I think we learned that Cstar is right there, too bad he is hurt. NLee is rusty and is Beau's BB, and Nolf remains above Cenzon. Both Nolf and Lee looked too comfy in their matches but the better wrestler, at this point, prevailed.
Fun watching the corners :)

Zahid with a reattack feet to back to go up 4-0. Brooks in on a single, Zahid goes behind but Brooks comes to his feel, no score. Zahid with heavy hands but Brooks snaps to front head. Stalemate. Pace has slowed down. AB goes inside trip! Somehow Zahid keeps his hips square and there's no score. 4-0 at the break.

Aaron getting to his underhooks better to start the 2nd. Zahid gets warned for passivity. Counter to short offense for Zahid, goes behind for 2. 6-0 Valencia. Nice low single for AB for 2. Another 2 on a TD for Aaron. 2 leg laces puts AB up 8-6!! One minute to go. Zahid looks gassed. Aaron gets a step out and goes up 9-6. Zahid in on a shot. 15 secs left. Aaron fights it off. Gets a pushout. Goes up 10-6 and get the win!!!! AB vs DT at Final X!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT