ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

I was going to say that Brooks never does anything in that front headlock position but who cares, that was a clinic!

Aaron is a lot stronger than he was the last time they wrestled. He mauled Zahid. Beautiful.

Reactions: danoftw
Nebraska's tough 197 Silas Allred - who handled Max Dean twice in March - has made hay on the backside.

Starting unseeded, he's wrestled his way into the 3rd place match at 97kg - which is 17 lbs heavier than his college weight.

Noteable achievement for the redshirt freshman Cornhusker.

He's going to be problem for the next couple years.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Zahid with a reattack feet to back to go up 4-0. Brooks in on a single, Zahid goes behind but Brooks comes to his feel, no score. Zahid with heavy hands but Brooks snaps to front head. Stalemate. Pace has slowed down. AB goes inside trip! Somehow Zahid keeps his hips square and there's no score. 4-0 at the break.

Aaron getting to his underhooks better to start the 2nd. Zahid gets warned for passivity. Counter to short offense for Zahid, goes behind for 2. 6-0 Valencia. Nice low single for AB for 2. Another 2 on a TD for Aaron. 2 leg laces puts AB up 8-6!! One minute to go. Zahid looks gassed. Aaron gets a step out and goes up 9-6. Zahid in on a shot. 15 secs left. Aaron fights it off. Gets a pushout. Goes up 10-6 and get the win!!!! AB vs DT at Final X!
This made my night!

J'Den looks enormous against Trumble. Beautiful lefty single, Trumble counters and scoots the corner. Looked like Trumble had 2 but the ref stopped action. Challenged by Trumble's corner. 2 Blue and put Cox in Par Terre. No score, back to feet with Trumble leading 2-0. Finger to J'Den's eye halts action. J'Den back on a lefty single, switches double, takes Trumble to his back but given 2 + 2 instead of 4. Goes into the break 4-2 Cox.

Handfighting for the first :30, no score. J'den with a beautiful shot for another 2 + 2 to go up 8-2. Cox in on another shot, Trumble defends. OOB, Trumble gets 1. 8-3 Cox. 1 minute to go, Cox with a counter and reshot for 2. 10-3. Cox in on another lefty single, good whizzer for Trumble, but Cox fights it off and gets 2. 12-3 Cox and that's the final. Cox and Snyder at Final X!

Last edited:
J'Den looks enormous against Trumble. Beautiful lefty single, Trumble counters and scoots the corner. Looked like Trumble had 2 but the ref stopped action. Challenged by Trumble's corner. 2 Blue and put Cox in Par Terre. No score, back to feet with Trumble leading 2-0. Finger to J'Den's eye halts action. J'Den back on a lefty single, switches double, takes Trumble to his back but given 2 + 2 instead of 4. Goes into the break 4-2 Cox.

Handfighting for the first :30, no score. J'den with a beautiful shot for another 2 + 2 to go us 8-2. Cox in on another shot, Trumble defends. OOB, Trumble gets 1. 8-3 Cox. 1 minute to go, Cox with a counter and reshot for 2. 10-3. Cox in on another lefty single, good whizzer for Trumble, but Cox fights it off and gets 2. 12-3 Cox and that's the final. Cox and Snyder at Final X!
Great match up. Ozark - if you have J’Den’s contact information, PLEASE text him before weigh ins to remind him of the time!

Hall with the TF for 3rd
I believe this means a Mark Hall vs Zahid rematch at Final X for true 3rd and a spot on the world team.

Wouldn't it be something to have PSU Alumni as all three 86kg USA Wrestling World Team Members.

I wonder whether any one university has represented all three spots at a weight class before.

Last edited:
0:10 takedown for Gable. How did this guy have heart surgery and not train for a year? Gwiz takes a shot, defended by Gable. Gwiz git for passivity. Gable reshot fought off by Gwiz. Gable another reshot into a double this time for 2. 4-0 Steveson. Another TD for Gable. 6-0 at the break.

Counter reshot for Gable just a few seconds into the second, given 2 + 2, but challenged. Challenge overturned, just 2 given. Going Par Terre. 8-0. Nothing doing. Going back to their feet. Gwiz shoots. Stalemate. Gwiz in on a leg. Stalemate. Gable in on a high-C, gets 2. 10-0 tech.

In true WWE fashion, pops his straps, works the crowd and hits his back flip!

Last edited:
Great US Open! Vito/ADS was the only one I would say disappointed, and that's only because I had high expectations. If I were a betting man, I would have missed on Richards and Mike Macc, but it was solid matches all night!

Plus, I went about 1/2 bottle into that 1870 and could still do PBP. That's a win! Ha

Great match up. Ozark - if you have J’Den’s contact information, PLEASE text him before weigh ins to remind him of the time!
I wish I did! As luck would have it, I run a local club, but our Varsity coach's sister lives in the same town as J'Den's family and is friends with his mom and sister. Because of that, I got to benefit from the relationship. However, I was a fan boy at breakfast talking to him and getting a bunch of "behind-the-scenes" info. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT