ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Match/discussion threads (merged)

Most surprising non-placer?

I’m going with Bastida. He was 24-0 coming in with wins over:

Davison, who beat him and is in the finals
Hendrickson (took 3rd)
Elam (twice by major; took 4th)
Feldman (by major; took 5th)
Schultz (took 6th)
Conigliaro, not only because he didn’t place, but because of the way his tournament went. 24-5 5-seed goes down to #28 and then gets Teched by Kennedy in Conso 1. I don’t know a lot about him, but ouch.

Makes sense. In any event, look for either Davis or Lilledahl to redshirt next season. Barring injury, I fully expect Nagao to be the starter at 133 in 2024-25.
Not if he doesn't improve over the summer. This current crop of Lions seem to embrace the opportunity to wrestle. If either Davis or Lilledahl beat him out look for them to want to wrestle.
f4c82ceee72449963ee29369d6724832.jpg

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Not if he doesn't improve over the summer. This current crop of Lions seem to embrace the opportunity to wrestle. If either Davis or Lilledahl beat him out look for them to want to wrestle.
f4c82ceee72449963ee29369d6724832.jpg
We'll see. For now, I'm sticking with my opinion about Nagao.

He posted that he had broken his finger. Makes CStar’s title with a broken hand that much more impressive

As much as a broken hand screws up everything, a broken finger has nothing to do with being ridden like a wet rag in three consecutive matches and over four minutes in one.

Schultz had a really low match count, and is probably more of a Greco guy.

He hasn't improved-he's regressed since wrestling Gable in the finals.

I could see a 1-year transfer (ala Truax) coming in at 197 for 2024-25, assuming such a guy is out there, which I have not checked. Would give Mirasola a redshirt year, rather than throwing him in the lineup immediately. Cochran is a nice backup, but suspect the staff would look for an upgrade. If no transfer, Cochran may begin the season as starter, possibly replaced by Mirasola in 2025 if he shows sufficient progress.

If Starocci does not return, Facundo seems the obvious replacement, assuming he can effectively handle the bump up from. 165. Suspect that the staff would prefer to redshirt Ryder.
Agreed that the coaches will likely want to at least have another 197 compete with Cochran. Perhaps Cochran turns out to be a good starter, just not sure the coaches will want to rely on that -- unless they think Mirasola is ready now.

Cardenas from Cornell would make a ton of sense if he's graduating and wants to use his remaining eligibility. He's a JR and just finished 4th.

Other JRs:
- Beard -- unlikely
- Buchanan (Oklahoma) -- 3x AA, 2x 3rd
- Elam (Missouri) -- 4x AA, 5-4-3-6, unlikely to leave
- Glazier -- unlikely to leave unless Brands gets Ford Focus in
- Luke Stout (Princeton) -- 3x NQ, not sure if graduating yet. Family knows Cael after Kellan wrestled for PSU.
- Hopkins (Campbell) -- 2x NQ
- Surber (OKST) -- 3x NQ, unlikely to leave
- Shaw (N. Carolina) -- 3x NQ. I doubt he leaves, but he is from PA.
- Stemmet (Stanford) -- 3x NQ
- Smith (VT) -- 2x NQ
- Mitchell (Buffalo) -- 1x NQ, went 1-2
- Braunagle (Illinois) -- 4x NQ, 2x R12. Shirting this year.

Most of these guys are not clear upgrades over Cochran and would only be useful as additional competition.

Conigliaro, not only because he didn’t place, but because of the way his tournament went. 24-5 5-seed goes down to #28 and then gets Teched by Kennedy in Conso 1. I don’t know a lot about him, but ouch.
Conigliaro got overseeded thanks to the seeding math. He had some good wins during the year, also lost 2x at EIWAs to the immortal Benny Baker.

He did beat Wolak who finished 6th, and Kemp who was the 8 seed. So he isn't a stiff. But the 5 seed was simply too high.

Seems like the Big 10 is taking it on the chin in March Madness.

Were a wrestling conference; not a basketball conference.

Reactions: ikS
Wonder where Lovett’s head will be after his coach made one of the dumbest decisions a coach has ever made in any sport in history.

I mean the other guy just concedes the escape point in the 2nd and gifts you a 1-0 lead in the 3rd period after you get your escape, but you know better. Guy needs to worry more about decisions and less about what Cael does.
Yea, it's math and statistical probability coach.

Dylan Ragusin is amazing!
I always thought Ragusin was good and I was hoping he would get a chance at Vito in the finals. That whole match with Fix really had me puzzled. You guys who weren't tuned into ESPN should have heard what Cormier and Burroughs were saying. They were incredulous that such a call could happen in the NCAA tournament.

He's going to be steaming over that one for a while. I hope that he eventually finds a way to let it go. I know it won't be easy but it's the best thing he can do for his own sake.

If Vito wrestles tonight like he's been looking for the past two days, I would rate Fix's chances at a very low level.

So I always assumed that the “Win XX Win” shirts were only wrestlers/family. But, does anyone know if it’s possible to buy these from somewhere?

That was 100% a takedown. I can see why they didn’t throw the brick if there is a limited amount throughout the tournament. Can you imagine not having a challenge in a national championship match because you used it there?
Tom Ryan could:)

I always thought Ragusin was good and I was hoping he would get a chance at Vito in the finals. That whole match with Fix really had me puzzled. You guys who weren't tuned into ESPN should have heard what Cormier and Burroughs were saying. They were incredulous that such a call could happen in the NCAA tournament.

He's going to be steaming over that one for a while. I hope that he eventually finds a way to let it go. I know it won't be easy but it's the best thing he can do for his own sake.

If Vito wrestles tonight like he's been looking for the past two days, I would rate Fix's chances at a very low level.
I'm looking forward to Parker putting a hurting on Plott.

Reactions: ikS and ccdiver

After tonight, Fix will have been one loss (last year) away from being a legendary 5-time runner up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ikS and Creek Side
What are the chances SVN's phone isn't getting calls from the Iowa City area code?

Seriously though, if Kasak can go back down to 141 and keep his strength he's going to be a beast.
Not going to go back down. I was told his father said he doesn't think he'll see 141 . He does have a red shirt year ????

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT