ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Nelson IMO loses some of his advantages up at 184, he is a moose and impossible to move. I think he can add good weight but not enough to keep the same advantages. He also loses weight during the season usually (fast Brands metabolism)

Iowa fans want to say "he beat Dustin Plott" but okay, on the flip side, he lost to Chris Foca. Different weight changes a lot.

Nelson IMO loses some of his advantages up at 184, he is a moose and impossible to move. I think he can add good weight but not enough to keep the same advantages. He also loses weight during the season usually (fast Brands metabolism)

Iowa fans want to say "he beat Dustin Plott" but okay, on the flip side, he lost to Chris Foca. Different weight changes a lot.
Certainly no sure thing, but I think he can AA at 184, mostly because it's weak. He'll be in a lot of close matches as usual. I thought he looked decently sized at the last chance qualifier too. He's definitely bigger now than he was the year he wrestled 184. He could have made 165 that year lol.

Reactions: vhsalum
Certainly no sure thing, but I think he can AA at 184, mostly because it's weak. He'll be in a lot of close matches as usual. I thought he looked decently sized at the last chance qualifier too. He's definitely bigger now than he was the year he wrestled 184. He could have made 165 that year lol.
He absolutely can AA and if I had to pick, he will.

End of the day, he'll be in a 1-1 type match in both R1 and the QF so he could place 4th to R16.

The fact the decision was made already instead of waiting until the last minute and he sat out last year means he will probably be a decent sized 184. Like JS said, it's a weaker weight so I think he will AA.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
I’m sure he’ll scratch and claw his way to many victories next year.

brands grew up wrestling with his dad and uncle and didn't learn one damn thing about offense!how is that possible??only in iowa!
Wrestling not to lose... So many of those dudes at Iowa would have much better careers if they just wrestled..

Reads a little like Iowa fans saying PSU wrestlers will eventually get sick of being recruited over.
You would have to know the money and results of the paid missionaries vs the money and results of the recruited. I’d be interested in this comparison ($/ncaa wins) if anyone has the info. There’s a long line of kids willing to be room guys on all D1 teams, the beef is in the dough.

He absolutely can AA and if I had to pick, he will.

End of the day, he'll be in a 1-1 type match in both R1 and the QF so he could place 4th to R16.
If I had to pick, he won't. I see a 6 year guy losing on the front side, not reaching his goal of being a national champ and then checking out on the backside.. A plus for him though, he can put money down on the placement matches without consequence...

You would have to know the money and results of the paid missionaries vs the money and results of the recruited. I’d be interested in this comparison ($/ncaa wins) if anyone has the info. There’s a long line of kids willing to be room guys on all D1 teams, the beef is in the dough.
The best missionaries spead the good news for free. 😉

Good pick up for ISU. I assume he tries to go 197 this year and then up to heavy once Bastida is gone? If he can get to 197 this year though maybe he can maintain it going forward as well

With the addition of Carroll, ISU’s lineup should look something like this:

125- Perryman
133- E. Frost/Redding
141- Echemendia/J.Frost
149- Swiderski
157- Johnson
165- Chittum/Rojas
174- Gaitan/Rojas
184- Naaktgeboren/Helgeson
197- Carroll/Bartelt/Villaescusa
285- Bastida/Carroll/Bartelt

The middleweights is where things get the most tricky. Swiderski and Chittum have redshirts available and you add Paniro back into the mix. Their best lineup has those 3 back-to-back-to-back. 197 is also tricky with Carroll and Bartelt both being bigger guys for the weight class. Either could bump up and wrestle off with Bastida for the HWT spot, but my hunch is that Bartelt will RS and get some seasoning this year.

At any rate, their best lineup features former AA’s at 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, and 285. Gaitan was a NQ and nearly an AA last year and Perryman was Terukina’s backup last year.

125- Perryman
133- E. Frost/Redding
141- Echemendia/J.Frost
149- Swiderski
157- Johnson
165- Chittum/Rojas
174- Gaitan/Rojas

The middleweights is where things get the most tricky. Swiderski and Chittum have redshirts available and you add Paniro back into the mix. Their best lineup has those 3 back-to-back-to-back. 197 is also tricky with Carroll and Bartelt both being bigger guys for the weight class. Either could bump up and wrestle off with Bastida for the HWT spot, but my hunch is that Bartelt will RS and get some seasoning this year.

At any rate, their best lineup features former AA’s at 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, and 285. Gaitan was a NQ and nearly an AA last year and Perryman was Terukina’s backup last year.
Kysen is still around at 125, but I think the new Cuban we got could challenge for the spot. He beat Figs in a freestyle tournament a couple of years ago. Also guessing Swiderski redshirts with Paniro or Ech at 149 and then Chittum or Paniro at 157

125- Perryman
133- E. Frost/Redding
141- Echemendia/J.Frost
149- Swiderski
157- Johnson
165- Chittum/Rojas
174- Gaitan/Rojas

That’s a pretty damn good lineup. I thought I heard that Swiderski was getting big and might not be able to make 149. Not sure if I’m pulling that out of my ass or not but I think that was the rumor. They really need him to make 149 because having him or Paniro on the bench would be horrible. I’m interested to see the development of the 3 young guys at 174-184. Lots of talent between Rojas, Gaitan, and Naaktgeboren but no real results yet. If 2 of them can make a jump I think this is a team that challenges for a trophy. Also, Evan Bockman transferred in and most thought he would go 197 but maybe now he can be the 184. Pretty sure he wrestled at 174 in his past

Last edited:
Reactions: BigFella235
Kysen is still around at 125, but I think the new Cuban we got could challenge for the spot. He beat Figs in a freestyle tournament a couple of years ago. Also guessing Swiderski redshirts with Paniro or Ech at 149 and then Chittum or Paniro at 157
I’m pretty sure Kysen is out of eligibility. Diversent is a long term project. He’s obviously very comfortable on his feet, but so was Yonger and he’s still getting acclimated to working top/bottom in folkstyle. Paniro wrestled a lot at 157 this past year when he was “redshirting”, but said it was mostly so he could focus on the technique rather than making weight. Redding made the blood round in 2023 and has one year of COVID eligibility left so he could make 133 really interesting or bump up to 141 if Echemendia goes to 149. It’d cover Swiderski or Chittum taking a RS and allow Paniro to wrestle 157 and Rojas to get some work in at 165

I’m pretty sure Kysen is out of eligibility. Diversent is a long term project. He’s obviously very comfortable on his feet, but so was Yonger and he’s still getting acclimated to working top/bottom in folkstyle. Paniro wrestled a lot at 157 this past year when he was “redshirting”, but said it was mostly so he could focus on the technique rather than making weight. Redding made the blood round in 2023 and has one year of COVID eligibility left so he could make 133 really interesting or bump up to 141 if Echemendia goes to 149. It’d cover Swiderski or Chittum taking a RS and allow Paniro to wrestle 157 and Rojas to get some work in at 165
Kysen has 2 years of eligibility left. Covid year, medical redshirt, etc. Redding isn’t making 133 again. Diversent is not the project many think he is based off recent information from the room. Bigger questions is if he could make 125, but I’m expecting him to. If ech can’t make 141, bigger frost will battle Redding for the spot

Good pick up for ISU. I assume he tries to go 197 this year and then up to heavy once Bastida is gone? If he can get to 197 this year though maybe he can maintain it going forward as well
Carroll has some competition there at ISU. Do not forget they have Sawyer Bartlett coming in as a true freshman at 197 this year. I believe he was a Top 10 recruit for the class of 24. And then you have HWT Daniel Herrera also an incoming true freshman. I believe he was a two time state champ in California before winning a state title in Iowa his senior year. And I believe he is a big HWT that is extremely athletic. Will be a two sport athlete, also playing football.

Reactions: stuclone
Carroll has some competition there at ISU. Do not forget they have Sawyer Bartlett coming in as a true freshman at 197 this year. I believe he was a Top 10 recruit for the class of 24. And then you have HWT Daniel Herrera also an incoming true freshman. I believe he was a two time state champ in California before winning a state title in Iowa his senior year. And I believe he is a big HWT that is extremely athletic. Will be a two sport athlete, also playing football.
Bartelt could end up at 184. But depth is a major key to building a contender. Penn State is the pinnacle of depth, I like what Iowa State is doing to get talent in to at least mimic that to a much smaller extent

Nate Schon is at HWT there too.

I think ideally ISU can get Echemendia to 141 again but he sounded pretty done with it post NCAAs. Not sure of Jacob Frost's ceiling but obviously Evan is very good so maybe they're seeing similar progress. I wonder if Chittum can get to 165, I don't think he was a big 157 because there were rumors he was considering going 149 at some point. Gaitan I thought would drop to 165 this year but doesn't look like it (and he was R12 last year)

Carroll should go 197 for good .... he wrestled 285 as a redshirt freshman and it did not look good. He has to figure out how to manage his weight down there but he's the definition of a tweener. I think the new 125 from Cuba there can be good but will take some time like Yonger and Echemendia to really learn the ins and outs of American folk but will be an AA one day.

Overall, looks like a good lineup top to bottom. It's a shame Yonger got hurt before NCAAs because if he wrestled how everyone projected, they would easily have been 2nd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT