ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Penn State's returning points depends a lot on how we do the lineup but

125 - 0 (I'm assuming Lilledahl here but lol having him at 0)
133 - 2.5
141 - 20
149 - 19
157 - 26
165 - 19.5
174 - 20
184 - 0
197 - 0
285 - 23.5

That's 130.5 assuming. But obviously things will change, SVN is back, Starocci is bumping up. How we handle 157 - 174 will be interesting. Many possibilities but a lot of firepower.

157 Candidates - Kasak, Mesenbrink. Heard Kasak wasn't even a small 149 by the end and if he isn't sucking down (like he did last year to wrestle 141), naturally can be a 157. Mesenbrink also said he would make a cut for Levi (said that's his best buddy). We know Levi won't see 157 again.

165 Candiates - Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo. I think this is Haines and Mesenbrink's best weight. Mesenbrink seems to just like not cutting.

174 Candidates - Facundo, Haines. This is Facundo's best weight IMO, Haines IMO could get to 174 fast and there's some rumors he's ballooning fast when he's not fighting to make 157.

My guess? (And my guess only) We see Kasak, Mesenbrink, Haines.
With SVN at 149?

Penn State's returning points depends a lot on how we do the lineup but

125 - 0 (I'm assuming Lilledahl here but lol having him at 0)
133 - 2.5
141 - 20
149 - 19
157 - 26
165 - 19.5
174 - 20
184 - 0
197 - 0
285 - 23.5

That's 130.5 assuming. But obviously things will change, SVN is back, Starocci is bumping up. How we handle 157 - 174 will be interesting. Many possibilities but a lot of firepower.

157 Candidates - Kasak, Mesenbrink. Heard Kasak wasn't even a small 149 by the end and if he isn't sucking down (like he did last year to wrestle 141), naturally can be a 157. Mesenbrink also said he would make a cut for Levi (said that's his best buddy). We know Levi won't see 157 again.

165 Candiates - Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo. I think this is Haines and Mesenbrink's best weight. Mesenbrink seems to just like not cutting.

174 Candidates - Facundo, Haines. This is Facundo's best weight IMO, Haines IMO could get to 174 fast and there's some rumors he's ballooning fast when he's not fighting to make 157.

My guess? (And my guess only) We see Kasak, Mesenbrink, Haines.

HR is bumping their total by 10 points for Brands' 2023 finish. We should take the liberty to count Nagao's 14-point performance in 2023.

HR is bumping their total by 10 points for Brands' 2023 finish. We should take the liberty to count Nagao's 14-point performance in 2023.
I would rather we take 60 off our returning and give them to Iowa. That way when the Lions score 160+ and the Hawks score 60 again it will sting more and we can post on HR without the NLWC contribution of 60 the Hawks would have been shutout.

giphy.gif
You stopped?

Just kidding!

Parco won't actually help much with their nationals score unless Ryder Block can make 141, which is a little doubtful since he's like 6' tall and looks like a walking 2x4 at 141. Block is a good prospect. They shouldn't want to push him out of the lineup.

Iowa is amassing some nice talent, but it's all redundant. They have Caliendo, PK, and Gabe, who are all AA-caliber guys but who are locked into 165-174, so one will be left out. Now they have Parco, Block, Rathjen, and Voinovich all at 149. Their roster construction kind of sucks.

Parco won't actually help much with their nationals score unless Ryder Block can make 141, which is a little doubtful since he's like 6' tall and looks like a walking 2x4 at 141. Block is a good prospect. They shouldn't want to push him out of the lineup.

Iowa is amassing some nice talent, but it's all redundant. They have Caliendo, PK, and Gabe, who are all AA-caliber guys but who are locked into 165-174, so one will be left out. Now they have Parco, Block, Rathjen, and Voinovich all at 149. Their roster construction kind of sucks.
It's what you get when you take what you can get.

Parco will help Iowa as he will only have 4 or 5 losses. Lets not devalue the dual meets (I know a lot of us want the streak to continue). I expect him to be an AA as well. At this point, anything else is a higher (or lower) degree of a guess :)

Parco is not without value to the Hawks.
Proven NCAA Hawk point scorers are 125 Ayala, 149 Parco, 165 Caliendo and 184 Brands. Half are transfers. The Hawks do not develop enough talent in their room to complete for trophies.

For the Hawks to compete for that 3rd place trophy they need major point infusions from the portal.

Parco is not without value to the Hawks.
Proven NCAA Hawk point scorers are 125 Ayala, 149 Parco, 165 Caliendo and 184 Brands. Half are transfers. The Hawks do not develop enough talent in their room to complete for trophies.

For the Hawks to compete for that 3rd place trophy they need major point infusions from the portal.
Not so sure about Brands being a proven NCAA scorer. He did take 5th at 174. He won't be at 174 this year.

In 2 years at 184, he went 5-4 as Assad's backup, then went 8-6 as the starter, 1-2 at nationals.

IMO he'll probably go 2-2. Maybe R12, but he's too offensively limited to expect the podium against bigger guys when he's not an athletic freak.

Reactions: jtothemfp

Best upper middle weight room in the country!

• Haha
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
could you speak up please? thnx
Not even the bird uses ALL caps but I can envision him

Parco is the FAVORITE at 149 now. He beat LOVER BOY last year TWOOOOOOOOO times. The PARTNERS in the room is SUPERIOR to POOL PARTY U. He was within ONE takedown of the NITTANY KITTY LAST YEAR who has been OUT and probably IGNORED by the GREAT KRAILURE!

Not even the bird uses ALL caps but I can envision him

Parco is the FAVORITE at 149 now. He beat LOVER BOY last year TWOOOOOOOOO times. The PARTNERS in the room is SUPERIOR to POOL PARTY U. He was within ONE takedown of the NITTANY KITTY LAST YEAR who has been OUT and probably IGNORED by the GREAT KRAILURE!
That's an impressive impression. Well done lol

I would love to see an etymology of "Krailure"

• Haha
Reactions: LOTOlion
That's an impressive impression. Well done lol

I would love to see an etymology of "Krailure"
Haven't seen IB or Vodka over there lately. Vodka's username has been changed and is unclickable. Even PS85 appears to have taken a recent timeout. Mod cleaning house maybe?

Reactions: mcpat
Parco will help Iowa as he will only have 4 or 5 losses. Lets not devalue the dual meets (I know a lot of us want the streak to continue). I expect him to be an AA as well. At this point, anything else is a higher (or lower) degree of a guess :)
I don't think we wrestle Iowa this year. Could be wrong tho. Does Parco only have one year left?

2 of those losses will be before he gets to the semis and another loss in the wrestlebacks!

Haven't seen IB or Vodka over there lately. Vodka's username has been changed and is unclickable. Even PS85 appears to have taken a recent timeout. Mod cleaning house maybe?
I thought Vodka was booted a while ago. I think, but am not sure, that IB is on a long time out again. But I may be wrong and he may be gone. His thread was locked so if he does come back does he start a new one or start infecting other threads?

I misread, I thought it said here. I remember reading Vodka posts not too long ago. Weird if he left or was booted.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
I left there on my own. When an activity you do in your free time is no longer enjoyable, stop doing it. It's why all the great Iowa posters of old no longer post on there.

Reactions: backdrft76
Not so sure about Brands being a proven NCAA scorer. He did take 5th at 174. He won't be at 174 this year.

In 2 years at 184, he went 5-4 as Assad's backup, then went 8-6 as the starter, 1-2 at nationals.

IMO he'll probably go 2-2. Maybe R12, but he's too offensively limited to expect the podium against bigger guys when he's not an athletic freak.
Come, I am trying to give them a little benefit of the doubt.

I am actually interested in seeing how he does responding to having lost his last season then getting it back. Typically I would expect him to suffer from severe HEW, but I think he wrestles with a sense of urgency. That doesn't mean I think he is going to morph into a 7 point a match Hawkeye scoring machine. More like if he finds himself in a close match with a national champion caliber wrestler (think Carter) he might actually try something to win instead of coasting to an acceptable close loss.

Come, I am trying to give them a little benefit of the doubt.

I am actually interested in seeing how he does responding to having lost his last season then getting it back. Typically I would expect him to suffer from severe HEW, but I think he wrestles with a sense of urgency. That doesn't mean I think he is going to morph into a 7 point a match Hawkeye scoring machine. More like if he finds himself in a close match with a national champion caliber wrestler (think Carter) he might actually try something to win instead of coasting to an acceptable close loss.
Iowa is trained not to lose rather than to win. I always told my managers that their kpi's were process related, and not about revenue and profit (win/lose). Get the process right and the rest falls into place.

could you speak up please? thnx
not that it's any of your business but I am an older gent typing can be a problem for me so if I type something and left the caps on accidently I don't like to have to do it over again!Have a great day!bye the way speak up is then dumbest thing I ever heard you know you can't hear a damn thing!

I agree. Brands is so limited offensively that he likely must win a number of close, low-scoring matches to AA. He is very good defensively, so this is possible, but it's tough to make a deep NCAA run in this manner.

And better not share this on GIA. A bunch of posters over there are convinced that Brands is pretty much a lock for a high AA finish (16 NCAA team points?) at 184.

Last edited:
Reactions: District four
Too bad more hawks aren’t as witty as brands calling himself The Gambler. They’d have guys proudly tagging themselves The Brown Eye or Fredo and from 74 to HWT they’d have The Spanker, The Gambler, The Sexual Assaulter, & The Part Timer

Brands beat Plott twice when they were both at 174 two years ago. Plott made a successful transition; who knows, maybe NB can as well.

I certainly wouldn't pencil him in as a high AA though.

I agree. Brands is so limited offensively that he likely must win a number of close, low-scoring matches to AA. He is very good defensively, so this is possible, but it's tough to make a deep NCAA run in this manner.

And better not share this on GIA. A bunch of posters over there are convinced that Brands is pretty much a lock for a high AA finish (16 NCAA team points?) at 184.
brands thinks he can win by scoring 2 or 3 points,well that wont happen at 184!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT