ADVERTISEMENT

All-Star Classic Discussion Thread

People who are mad that about women's wrestling getting 2% of the coverage as men's wrestling are the same people who get mad when there is one woman superhero movie for every 20. The fact is that women's wrestling is helping to grow the sport and if you watch it you'll realize that it's probably the women's sport that looks the most like the men's version.
I'll take a Gal Gadot superhero movie over, well, ALMOST anything.

I don't like how Lewis wrestles.
That's because it's not legal to stall from neutral for the entire match except for the 2 minutes you were ridden like a rented mule.

Here's how Lewis' wrestling broke down effectively - 5 minutes of stalling from Neutral (and wasn't penalized a single point for this bullshit - stalls for 3/4s of a 7 minute match and the Ref rewards him for this bullshit by not giving Carter anything for carrying 100% of the offensive action from Neutral which was 3/4s of the match given how quickly Carter escaped bottom). Then 2 minutes of getting ridden like a rented mule in 3rd.

Just utterly absurd that any qualified wrestling official would allow Lewis to wrestle in this fashion but sadly, very typical of lame folk-style officiating.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but Warner appears to have the "it" factor this year.
Classic “How it started, how it’s going” thread:

Wow. I went to bed because I don't/won't pay for Flo and I'm just now finding out that I may have been able to watch last night. Crap. Sounds like a really entertaining night and obviously a great night for the good guys. I had presumed that all 3 PSU guys were favorites and would win, but it's gratifying to wake up and find out that I was right. It is odd that at an all-star event like this that you still have guys who stall or do nothing but push back and forth across the mat. I get that not everyone has the same wrestling style or the same abilities, but you're at an all-star event and they chose you because they expected you to go all out to entertain and to at least make an attempt to win your match. I've never understood the mentality of a guy who refuses to shoot even though he KNOWS that he'll lose when/if he refuses to do so.

Reactions: jack66
I have to defend @Psugo823 here, the Ped State comment came out of the blue, I don’t think a PSU poster had even commented on the thread yet when it surfaced. It was not a case of PSU posters throwing salt on the fresh wound and them retaliating.
Defending him is very noble, but there are numerous reasons I have him on Ignore here. I'd suggest HR do the same if they haven't already.

It is odd that at an all-star event like this that you still have guys who stall or do nothing but push back and forth across the mat. I get that not everyone has the same wrestling style or the same abilities, but you're at an all-star event and they chose you because they expected you to go all out to entertain and to at least make an attempt to win your match. I've never understood the mentality of a guy who refuses to shoot even though he KNOWS that he'll lose when/if he refuses to do so.
The one that really had me scratching my head is Carr and Monday—they aren’t in the same weight class, so literally nothing was on the line for the match except bragging rights. Why not let it fly? 🤷‍♂️

Dominate performance by Carter. Took all the shots and rode him like a rented mule
Score
They should take a silhouette of this pic and make it the new NLWC logo. Ankle-picks for daaaays.

Edit

Remembered my phone has this cool
new feature:
AB is so smooth it's ridiculous. He is just fun to watch he's good in all positions and never gets rattled it seems. Love his attitude and demeanor. Great role model for any young wrestler Penn state is blessed for sure to have multiple young men come through the program with this sort of gratitude

Score

AB is so smooth it's ridiculous. He is just fun to watch he's good in all positions and never gets rattled it seems. Love his attitude and demeanor. Great role model for any young wrestler Penn state is blessed for sure to have multiple young men come through the program with this sort of gratitude
I’m not sure if you are asking for the score but Carter won 2-0, 0-0 in first, Carter quick escape in second, entire ride out in third.

Reactions: hlstone
@jrod65 come on. Warner was throwing right crosses that you could hear through the feed and you’re going to complain about an inadvertent, one millisecond thumb to the neck by Kerk? And now you got the crazies posting Kerk did it the entire match. From what I see, it went there through hand-fighting; it didn’t go there directly from Kerk and it certainly didn’t stay there.

That's because it's not legal to stall from neutral for the entire match except for the 2 minutes you were ridden like a rented mule.

Here's how Lewis' wrestling broke down effectively - 5 minutes of stalling from Neutral (and wasn't penalized a single point for this bullshit - stalls for 3/4s of a 7 minute match and the Ref rewards him for this bullshit by not giving Carter anything for carrying 100% of the offensive action from Neutral which was 3/4s of the match given how quickly Carter escaped bottom). Then 2 minutes of getting ridden like a rented mule in 3rd.

Just utterly absurd that any qualified wrestling official would allow Lewis to wrestle in this fashion but sadly, very typical of lame folk-style officiating.
Did the same in the final when he got up. Ran the edge the whole match, even in OT.

Reactions: Zukovski and mjmirv
Did the same in the final when he got up. Ran the edge the whole match, even in OT.
Just watch Lewis after every restart from neutral. The whistle blows and he literally moves backwards instantly. It’s a shame because the Lewis we saw vs Vincenzo was exciting, even if I hated the result.

Reactions: NittanyChris
@jrod65 come on. Warner was throwing right crosses that you could hear through the feed and you’re going to complain about an inadvertent, one millisecond thumb to the neck by Kerk? And now you got the crazies posting Kerk did it the entire match. From what I see, it went there through hand-fighting; it didn’t go there directly from Kerk and it certainly didn’t stay there.
I actually agree with JRod that it was happening, I just don’t think it mattered in the outcome of the match. I saw him do it multiple times and earlier in the match I thought he was just thumb blocking in the armpit but later you can see it was definitely into the throat. Ref didn’t care and Cass really didn’t complain so I’m not sure why we should

A short while into the 3rd period, I became convinced that Gomez could get that takedown whenever he wanted it. He was behind, so he got an immediate escape, instant takedown, let Sasso up, instant takedown. He could have done that all day. I just think he didn't want to give too much away for future reference.

CStar was another guy who did enough to win without opening the vault. He could have ridden Lewis till tomorrow. Lewis was going nowhere. Carter could have played the takedown game. Instead he decided to show Lewis who's boss. Lewis is great, but CStar has everyone's number. He's a guy who knows how to win.

I actually agree with JRod that it was happening, I just don’t think it mattered in the outcome of the match. I saw him do it multiple times and earlier in the match I thought he was just thumb blocking in the armpit but later you can see it was definitely into the throat. Ref didn’t care and Cass really didn’t complain so I’m not sure why we should
We were definitely laughing about it while watching it live. Seemed to maybe force Cass to stand up a little taller before that 2nd double (0:05 below)--so it may have opened that shot up some.

I'm not sure what the rules say about something like that, but I'm looking forward to watching Brands pantomime it for the ref in the BJC.

Just re-watched Aaron's match--one of the things that is so striking about Aaron's game is that most of the time, he has his finish set up and locked down before he even pulls the trigger on the shot. There's just no room to breathe. Such a treat to watch him compete.

Last edited:
It is odd that at an all-star event like this that you still have guys who stall or do nothing but push back and forth across the mat. I get that not everyone has the same wrestling style or the same abilities, but you're at an all-star event and they chose you because they expected you to go all out to entertain and to at least make an attempt to win your match. I've never understood the mentality of a guy who refuses to shoot even though he KNOWS that he'll lose when/if he refuses to do so.

I'm sure they feel that style gives them their best chance to win. It would be hard to convince Lewan and Matthews that they should change. Even Cael couldn't get Verk to open up, and Bartlett is a work in progress.

Not every coach is teaching to 'score points and have fun'. When an entire team comes out in push-and-shove mode every year, one has to believe that's the way they are coached.

Reactions: diggerpup
So, Brands will be twisting a throat instead of a shoe!? Sounds dangerous!!
choking homer simpson GIF

Reactions: mcpat and zzs006
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT