174 Rasheed vs Young
184 McCutcheon vs. Wilke
197 Stout vs Holloway
285 Johnson vs. Stoll

2017-18 PSU backups vs. Iowa starters

Pretty sure we can win 6 in that dual

I see what you did there.

Reactions: T J
I thought Bo moved to 184 so he could be at that weight long term for Olympic FS reasons. Wouldn't going to 197 be counterproductive in that regard? Or do I have the weights mixed up?

Bo moved up because he could no longer make the cut from 174 folk to 163 free.

184 folk is in range for 189 free, but still a little undersized against international competition. 197 folk without a hard cut is perfect for 189 free -- worked pretty well for J'Den Cox.

Bo moved up because he could no longer make the cut from 174 folk to 163 free.

184 folk is in range for 189 free, but still a little undersized against international competition. 197 folk without a hard cut is perfect for 189 free -- worked pretty well for J'Den Cox.

worked ok for Cael back in the day too

Reactions: diggerpup
Ok thanks for clearing that up, so it seems like 197 could be a future spot for Bo in a year or 2

New thread on HR that Warner is announcing Wednesday.

Iowa / Purdue / Ohio St battle ?

HR might blow their server if they miss Warner the next week after missing Berge.

HR might blow their server if they miss Warner the next week after missing Berge.

From an Iowa fan wrestling blog...

The Iowa Wrestling Recruiting Class of 2017 is up to five. I will keep you up to date with any additional signings.

The most anticipated is Jacob Warner of Illinois who is projected at 197 and has Iowa as a finalist.

Hawkeye fans like me are holding our breath hoping that Warner picks Iowa. I am projecting that Warner will make his commitment no later than National Signing Day on November 16th.

More from the Iowa blog...

Super recruit Jacob Warner of Washington, Illinois will be apart of Team USA competing in the UWW Cadet World Freestyle Championships this weekend. The tournament takes place in the legendary Tbilisi, Georgia at the New Sports Palace. In the 1970’s and 80’s, “Tbilisi” was the one word associated with arguably the toughest international freestyle tournament held every year and as I mentioned, legendary.

Warner stated in my last interview that he will announce his college choice at Flo headquarters in Austin, Texas on National Letter of Intent Signing Day on Wednesday, November 9th.

His top five colleges are Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, and Ohio State.

More from the Iowa blog...

Super recruit Jacob Warner of Washington, Illinois will be apart of Team USA competing in the UWW Cadet World Freestyle Championships this weekend. The tournament takes place in the legendary Tbilisi, Georgia at the New Sports Palace. In the 1970’s and 80’s, “Tbilisi” was the one word associated with arguably the toughest international freestyle tournament held every year and as I mentioned, legendary.

Warner stated in my last interview that he will announce his college choice at Flo headquarters in Austin, Texas on National Letter of Intent Signing Day on Wednesday, November 9th.

His top five colleges are Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, and Ohio State.

I think it only fair that Purdue get this kid.

Reactions: T J and diggerpup
Are (tOSU) Singletary & Warner same/similar weight ?

I can't remember.

Singletary will be Kyle Snyder's replacement at 265. He stated this (going 265) in his announcement interviews.
Imagine his decision making... "I get to drill with Olympian Snyder everyday. I get to be instructed by Olympic heavyweight Dlagnev..... and I never have to count a calorie? Where to I sign?"

Warner would be 197.

Reactions: diggerpup and SRATH
Singletary will be Kyle Snyder's replacement at 265. He stated this (going 265) in his announcement interviews.
Imagine his decision making... "I get to drill with Olympian Snyder everyday. I get to be instructed by Olympic heavyweight Dlagnev..... and I never have to count a calorie? Where to I sign?"

Warner would be 197.

Well, he might have to count a few calories if he keeps cutting down to 265 when he doesn't need to. :)

If the Hawks don't get the Warner kid most will step off the cliff, some will tell us TnT really did want or need the kid and a couple will understand Iowa isn't going to get them all and they only need the right 10.

The ones stepping off the cliff will be fun to watch (read) though.

And it's already started.

Poster on HR in the Warner thread, wrote the Iowa lineup for 2019 thru 2021, already has Warner penciled in along with Lee, Teasdale, Happel, Turk, Kemerer, Marinelli, K Young, etc thru Stoll, predicting 100+ point years, "5 or 6 finalists", and at least a 2x NCAA championship repeat.

I don't think the Iowa fans having high expectations for the coming group is too far fetched. Lee will be dominate from the get go. Teasdale is a stud and should do very well from the start. Kem and AM are studs. Stoll has looked very good. Iowa is poised to score some serious points starting in 2018 imo. PSU is probably poised to score even more, and both tOSU and OSU will be right there.
I do think the best chance for an Iowa team title in the next five years is this season, but in any case the boys in black aren't going away.

Poster on HR in the Warner thread, wrote the Iowa lineup for 2019 thru 2021, already has Warner penciled in along with Lee, Teasdale, Happel, Turk, Kemerer, Marinelli, K Young, etc thru Stoll, predicting 100+ point years, "5 or 6 finalists", and at least a 2x NCAA championship repeat.
We do the same thing.

Heck- I do the same thing for ISU, but temper things in my mind a bit- I try to envision a top 5 finish. It isn't looking so hot in the near future. I might start going all PD2 and just declare dominance despite evidence to the contrary.

Funny stuff - Clever reply

Hope your Iconic Cyclone Wrestling Program rises up and becomes national challengers again soon.

Iowa State - Birthplace of College Wrestling's greatest coaches.​

We can groom us some coaches! Bono is starting to really move his program up at SDSU. I've always felt like ISU wrestling can rescue defeat from the jaws of victory like no other program. It would be much easier to simply have jumped on the Iowa band wagon when Gable started his dynasty to the east and left my Alma Mater to fend for themselves. I can't do that, so making light of our current situation is my ploy to maintain sanity (relative term of course) in these dark and troubled times.
I follow college wrestling as a whole, and keep season tickets to several schools. I am a fan of not only ISU, but Mizzu,Air Force,SDSU,UNI, and yes even Iowa. I have also firmly planted myself as a PSU bandwagon fan here for the good times. I refuse to become bitter, as that won't help anything. I do wish Cael would schedule ISU for a yearly dual just for the heck of it. I feel like he owes us that!

I do wish Cael would schedule ISU for a yearly dual just for the heck of it. I feel like he owes us that!

Seems logical but is the scheduling now at a point where he looks for the bigger picture impact as well as the match and ISU isn't providing that incentive? Outside of the conference, he is picking where his recruits come from (NY this year), keeping the west coast in play, and probably looking to hit ASU area soon. Cael treats this this a business trip and seems to ask "what's the value add"?

The "value add" is he can throw a bone to the program he still loves and to the fans who were there with him during the 159-0. I understand it is a small market with very limited recruiting outreach, but it would help ISU which deep down I still have to believe matters to Cael,Cody, and Jake Varner. Those are OUR boys! I know Jake still bleeds a little Cardinal and Gold. Come home for visit fellas- we miss you.

The "value add" is he can throw a bone to the program he still loves and to the fans who were there with him during the 159-0. I understand it is a small market with very limited recruiting outreach, but it would help ISU which deep down I still have to believe matters to Cael,Cody, and Jake Varner. Those are OUR boys! I know Jake still bleeds a little Cardinal and Gold. Come home for visit fellas- we miss you.
Value isn't only measured financially or in recruiting. As of last week, SDSU would provide better competition.

We can groom us some coaches! Bono is starting to really move his program up at SDSU. I've always felt like ISU wrestling can rescue defeat from the jaws of victory like no other program. It would be much easier to simply have jumped on the Iowa band wagon when Gable started his dynasty to the east and left my Alma Mater to fend for themselves. I can't do that, so making light of our current situation is my ploy to maintain sanity (relative term of course) in these dark and troubled times.
I follow college wrestling as a whole, and keep season tickets to several schools. I am a fan of not only ISU, but Mizzu,Air Force,SDSU,UNI, and yes even Iowa. I have also firmly planted myself as a PSU bandwagon fan here for the good times. I refuse to become bitter, as that won't help anything. I do wish Cael would schedule ISU for a yearly dual just for the heck of it. I feel like he owes us that!

Would love to see ISU on the schedule. Really hope they are able to rise back up to the top of college wrestling.

JPWIII-I agree with you it makes sense and now that you mention it this way, seem like something that should occur yearly. Anything transpire that is preventing this? Is it possible to think that perhaps he sees ISU as stable and in less need of a "bone" than some of the others schools that he has added to the schedule? Cael rarely makes it about himself, always more about the team, growth of the sport, ect. I don't think it is a loyalty thing at all, times have just changed.

I see this happening in other sports too that my children play in college (non revenue generating sports). Scheduling has become an art, rivalries that have existed for years are happening less frequently and with conference changes, there is less flexibility to do the things you want and pressure to be very tactical with scheduling. I bet as ISU improves (some great classes coming in their program), they come back for a home and home soon.

I know there has been no recent bad blood between ISU and Cael, but there were some things at the time he left. Many fans (myself included) felt betrayed when he left for greener pastures. I'm still in the minority of people nationwide that believe Cael could have stayed at ISU and produced national team titles. I am not naive enough to believe he could have matched the success he has found at PSU. PSU is simply a bigger, better funded school with more talent next door.

Cyclone fans are great people who understand business is business, but there were a few idiots that sought to tarnish Cael's name and diminish his results. I feel very in tune to the heartbeat of our ever shrinking fan base, and there is little contempt for Cael at ISU. I believe any damage caused by angry fans can be fully mended in the future. We will never be happy Cael left, and I think it wasn't an easy decision for him. I am very proud of what Cael has built at PSU, but envy is a dirty little demon.

Sorry, didn't mean it the way it came across. Would like to see ISU improve, and would like to see the 2 schools face each other. With limited competition dates and travel schedules, that seems difficult today.

I know you didn't- I love this board and look very forward to meeting some of you guys in person. I'm probably one of the few outsiders who would love to break bread with that crazy purist Amalone! Quit being so good and others wouldn't detest you guys so much.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
"...envy is a dirty little demon."

So true, so true, so true.
Add me to the list that hopes we do schedule ISU some day.
Perhaps ISU could some day have a night honoring both Cael and Gable together.

I don't think the Iowa fans having high expectations for the coming group is too far fetched. Lee will be dominate from the get go. Teasdale is a stud and should do very well from the start. Kem and AM are studs. Stoll has looked very good. Iowa is poised to score some serious points starting in 2018 imo. PSU is probably poised to score even more, and both tOSU and OSU will be right there.
I do think the best chance for an Iowa team title in the next five years is this season, but in any case the boys in black aren't going away.

Lee will be very good. No doubt there. Teasdale is overrated though. Still very good, not elite. My guess is his peak is making the finals once. That's my ceiling on him and it might not ever happen. Marinelli gets thumped by Hall. How does he get around that and everyone else? Still very good, but not a 2X or anything of that nature. We all know Kaleb Young, lots of talent, very good, but not elite. Lee is in an entirely different world than those guys. Their recruiting classes are good, but not out of this world.

Sorry, didn't mean it the way it came across. Would like to see ISU improve, and would like to see the 2 schools face each other. With limited competition dates and travel schedules, that seems difficult today.

I know you didn't- I love this board and look very forward to meeting some of you guys in person. I'm probably one of the few outsiders who would love to break bread with that crazy purist Amalone! Quit being so good and others wouldn't detest you guys so much.
Money too, El-Jefe...much consideration for the costs associated with travel, though Cael & Coaches have shown a "grow or save wrestling" aspect (ex: Utah Valley, Boston U), and a "promise the wrestlers" aspect (California trip, Stanford & Cal Bakersfield). Don't have it in front of me, but I believe the Coaches left a competition date on the table this year.

JPW, I have had some great experiences with the fan bases of lots of schools, recently in Iowa City (Big Tens, 2016) as an example. With only one exception (alcohol was involved), the Iowa fans we met were awesome. If you're looking for good in others, it's easy to see. If you're not, it's impossible.

Reactions: WildTurk
I know there has been no recent bad blood between ISU and Cael, but there were some things at the time he left. Many fans (myself included) felt betrayed when he left for greener pastures. I'm still in the minority of people nationwide that believe Cael could have stayed at ISU and produced national team titles. I am not naive enough to believe he could have matched the success he has found at PSU. PSU is simply a bigger, better funded school with more talent next door.

Cyclone fans are great people who understand business is business, but there were a few idiots that sought to tarnish Cael's name and diminish his results. I feel very in tune to the heartbeat of our ever shrinking fan base, and there is little contempt for Cael at ISU. I believe any damage caused by angry fans can be fully mended in the future. We will never be happy Cael left, and I think it wasn't an easy decision for him. I am very proud of what Cael has built at PSU, but envy is a dirty little demon.

While attend the National the year Cael came to PSU, I walked in with a bunch of ISU fans. To a tee they all said that Cael was overrated, couldn't win the big one, and PSU would be disappointing with his coaching results. I'm sure there were plenty of people upset that he left but it certainly was a split vote.

I think there's a bit of revisionist history going on now for some ISU fans ...

Iowa is in an interesting situation with Kemmerer and Marinelli. They love to point out that Cael recruits not develops. Well when Zane was a true freshman he beat the number one wrestler in the country. Nickal and Nolf both got to number one in the country as redshirt freshman. Well now Iowa has wrestlers ready to go rated just as high. Now the pressure is on Iowa's p4p studs to produce this year.

Iowa is in an interesting situation with Kemmerer and Marinelli. They love to point out that Cael recruits not develops. Well when Zane was a true freshman he beat the number one wrestler in the country. Nickal and Nolf both got to number one in the country as redshirt freshman. Well now Iowa has wrestlers ready to go rated just as high. Now the pressure is on Iowa's p4p studs to produce this year.

That should work as an acellerant and I hope you know where the dumpster is?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT