ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Jerry Palm now projects us to Citrus

Michigan State has stronger wins than we have.

Wisky and Illinois? Yeah. Both turds of the piss poor West. If you want to say that you have no faith we can beat them, sure. Quit building them up in false narrative. They are in far worse shape with 8 suspensions than the 1 WR who was hurt and has been back since they played OSU.

Yes, they played Michigan better. We played OSU better and beat the piss out of Minnesota who curb stomped them. Yes, we missed Morgan, but he doesn't change the points we scored on their defense.

Really? I hear everyone saying that but if Georgia wins out and either UM (probably) or OSU wins out, why do we really need any more than 2?

Still a lot of football to be played and our opinions on teams will change but if it's anything like the last few years, 4 is almost too many.
Because they should have to prove they can win 4 playoff games as well. Teams improve as the year goes on--see Oregon for example

Wisky and Illinois? Yeah. Both turds of the piss poor West. If you want to say that you have no faith we can beat them, sure. Quit building them up in false narrative. They are in far worse shape with 8 suspensions than the 1 WR who was hurt and has been back since they played OSU.

Yes, they played Michigan better. We played OSU better and beat the piss out of Minnesota who curb stomped them. Yes, we missed Morgan, but he doesn't change the points we scored on their defense.
Don't reply to this guy. Ignore him. Not a PSU fan. On here to annoy real fans with his negative propoganda that is always clueless and agenda driven.

Don't reply to this guy. Ignore him. Not a PSU fan. On here to annoy real fans with his negative propoganda that is always clueless and agenda driven.

I like calling him out. He told somebody in the enthusiastic freshman thread that we didn't have enough information to discuss our freshman BUT he didn't see the talent in the group.

He's definitely something. That's for sure.

So what do we think happens if LSU beats UGA. Does it cost Tennessee a playoff spot? Can't drop UGA out of the top four, but UGA losing could suppress UT rising into it.

So what do we think happens if LSU beats UGA. Does it cost Tennessee a playoff spot? Can't drop UGA out of the top four, but UGA losing could suppress UT rising into it.
Tennessee beat LSU by 27--it could be interesting because Georgia still gets in. It's going to come down to if they get 3 teams....

I like calling him out. He told somebody in the enthusiastic freshman thread that we didn't have enough information to discuss our freshman BUT he didn't see the talent in the group.

He's definitely something. That's for sure.
Like he has any clue. He would have and probably did say the same thing about Saquon Barkley. Complete and utter nonsense is what he spews.

Reactions: lazydave841
Because they should have to prove they can win 4 playoff games as well. Teams improve as the year goes on--see Oregon for example
Is Oregon really better? They beat UCLA but what does that mean? I don't think they are very good. We'll see where this stand at the end of the season.

Is Oregon really better? They beat UCLA but what does that mean? I don't think they are very good. We'll see where this stand at the end of the season.
Yes, they're better--not saying elite but they're better now than they were week one. Nix is more comfortable in the offense, etc.

Which is why it's expanding--right now it's a joke
Not trying to be argumentative but why is it a joke? Has there been a year in the playoff era when you think the best team in the country wasn't in the playoffs? Or for that matter, didn't make the championship game? I could be wrong, but I think the only time a team that wasn't 1 or 2 won the championship was OSU in 2014.

Not trying to be argumentative but why is it a joke? Has there been a year in the playoff era when you think the best team in the country wasn't in the playoffs? Or for that matter, didn't make the championship game? I could be wrong, but I think the only time a team that wasn't 1 or 2 won the championship was OSU in 2014.
I agree with your point - although it certainly not ideal when 5 and 6 are so close to 4. This year is def the year more than ever that someone outside the top 2 could win it. But more importantly I think only having 4 has had a huge impact on recruiting. If more teams made the playoff I think the spread between one and 12 would be very different than it is right now with only 4 making the playoff. If I’m osu I tell recruits if you want to make the playoff come here. We even made it when psu beat us and we didn’t even win the division - but regardless we almost always win the conference let alone the division!

Because it's four team in a league with 131. Until all conference champs are included it's not a legit system. It's more difficult to win 4-5 straight games in a playoff setting than 2. It's why FCS has 24 teams. Until FBS gets to 24, or at least 16 with all conference winners, it's not a legit playoff.

Why do you think people love other college sports playoffs? You actually get to see teams have to earn it.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Which is why it's expanding--right now it's a joke
They aren’t expanding out of some noble idea to ensure the most successful team is deemed champion.

They are keeping many many more teams in the race so the inclusive minded followers can hold on to the dream their team might get hot and win it all. Just so happens there will make a whole lot of money made from it.

I think the AP should crown a regular season champion (say Georgia this season) and then you could have a playoff champion out of 12-16 teams. Some years, one team will gain both titles; other years, there will be a split. Being the best season long team and the best playoff team are two different matters. It would give teams that lose early like Oregon something to strive towards.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I think the AP should crown a regular season champion (say Georgia this season) and then you could have a playoff champion out of 12-16 teams. Some years, one team will gain both titles; other years, there will be a split. Being the best season long team and the best playoff team are two different matters. It would give teams that lose early like Oregon something to strive towards.

Nobody would care less who AP declares the Regular Season champ - the National Champion would always be considered the winner of Post-Season Playoff. People do not consider the team with the best Regular Season record the NFL Champion - they consider the Super Bowl winner the NFL Champion. Or how about NCAA Basketball - NC State is considered the 1983 NCAA Division I Basketball Champions, not Houston.

They aren’t expanding out of some noble idea to ensure the most successful team is deemed champion.

They are keeping many many more teams in the race so the inclusive minded followers can hold on to the dream their team might get hot and win it all. Just so happens there will make a whole lot of money made from it.
They're expanding because of money and they finally felt enough pressure to do so. And, yes, keeping more teams in the race is good for the sport. See MLB and the NFL expanding their playoffs. See March Madness going to 68. Anything short of the NBA's nonsense is good for the game. You want more teams to have meaningful games throughout the season as opposed to some who they only meaningful game they have is trying to upset someone to ruin their season.

I don't disagree with you often but this is your worst take
It's like celebrating the Presidents Trophy in the NHL. Nice accomplishment but meaningless if you don't win the Stanley Cup

They're expanding because of money and they finally felt enough pressure to do so. And, yes, keeping more teams in the race is good for the sport. See MLB and the NFL expanding their playoffs. See March Madness going to 68. Anything short of the NBA's nonsense is good for the game. You want more teams to have meaningful games throughout the season as opposed to some who they only meaningful game they have is trying to upset someone to ruin their season.
That’s opinion. In this day and age of participation trophy views, that is what the majority wants.

CFB was unique in how important the outcome of a game was. The current format lowered it slightly, but provided a safety net against controversy.

The future format dilutes the importance of winning/losing.

That’s opinion. In this day and age of participation trophy views, that is what the majority wants.

CFB was unique in how important the outcome of a game was. The current format lowered it slightly, but provided a safety net against controversy.

No it doesn't - you keep acting like these teams all play the same schedules. First of all, the current system is an "Invitational", not a "Playoff" structure. Beyond that, an undefeated team from one Conference is not directly comparable to a 1-loss team from another Conference as they play wholly different schedules. Your argument is factually specious and easily PROVEN SO. Following the 2014 regular-season, there was only 1 undefeated-untied team - FSU. According to you, they should have been declared Champion since they had no losses and all the other teams had a loss. Reality - the #4 team, 12-1 duhO$U, via the Invitational Ranking system beat 13-0 FSU in the opening round and went on to win the Championship....

Following the 2015 regular-season, there was only one undefeated team, 13-0 Clemson - they didn't win the Championship, 1-loss Alabama won.

After the 2016 regular-season, there was only 1 undefeated team, 13-0 Bama - they didn't win the Invitational; 1-loss Clemson won the Championship.

After the 2017 regular-season, there were no undefeated teams.

After 2018 and 2019 regular-season, there were three no-loss teams.....

After 2021 regular season, there was only 1 undefeated team - they did not win the Championship; 1-loss UGa won the Championship.

The available evidence suggests that being an undefeated Conference Champion from one Conference says doodley-squat about how that team will fare against a team from a different Conference which has a loss.

No it doesn't - you keep acting like these teams all play the same schedules. First of all, the current system is an "Invitational", not a "Playoff" structure. Beyond that, an undefeated team from one Conference is not directly comparable to a 1-loss team from another Conference as they play wholly different schedules. Your argument is factually specious and easily PROVEN SO. Following the 2014 regular-season, there was only 1 undefeated-untied team - FSU. According to you, they should have been declared Champion since they had no losses and all the other teams had a loss. Reality - the #4 team, 12-1 duhO$U, via the Invitational Ranking system beat 13-0 FSU in the opening round and went on to win the Championship....

Following the 2015 regular-season, there was only one undefeated team, 13-0 Clemson - they didn't win the Championship, 1-loss Alabama won.

After the 2016 regular-season, there was only 1 undefeated team, 13-0 Bama - they didn't win the Invitational; 1-loss Clemson won the Championship.

After the 2017 regular-season, there were no undefeated teams.

After 2018 and 2019 regular-season, there were three no-loss teams.....

After 2021 regular season, there was only 1 undefeated team - they did not win the Championship; 1-loss UGa won the Championship.

The available evidence suggests that being an undefeated Conference Champion from one Conference says doodley-squat about how that team will fare against a team from a different Conference which has a loss.
I agree with you. The issue has been that the Bowls fought this for years. They wanted to continue with the series of bowl games where they make tons of money. The compromise has been that these bowls get the playoff series so they are made whole. Everyone is happy. Now, four teams is not enough and that has been recognized. Anyone who is not in the top 12 really has no shot. For example, teams 13 ~ 20 include PSU, Utah, NC, NC state, Tulane Tex, Liberty, ND....None of those schools has a realistic shot to win a MNC.

Lesser divisions have done this for decades but didn't have the bowls to contend with.

It will always be controversial as to who wins the MNC and who is invited into the series. But it is really decided on the field and I applaud that.

I am not sure why anyone cares how many teams are I. The CFB playoffs - more interesting with more than less - B-Ball has 68 so people are arguing that all 68 “earned” it - spare me. An expanded playoffs will certainly add more j tweets to more people that are tired of the same 4-6 teams in it every year.

They'll just change which games are meaningful. This year, UT/Bama, UT/GA and Bama/LSU were meaningful. Once we go to 12, not so much. Those teams are all in win or lose. Maybe they mean a little because of homefield advantage in the playoffs but that's about it.

After we go to 12, USC vs UCLA and Oregon vs. Utah mean something.

They'll just change which games are meaningful. This year, UT/Bama, UT/GA and Bama/LSU were meaningful. Once we go to 12, not so much. Those teams are all in win or lose. Maybe they mean a little because of homefield advantage in the playoffs but that's about it.

I think home field will be big. If we have 12, the top 4 will get a bye week. the other 8 play in.

I don't disagree with you often but this is your worst take
It's like celebrating the Presidents Trophy in the NHL. Nice accomplishment but meaningless if you don't win the Stanley Cup

Getting hot at the end of the year (a playoff trophy) is different from being the season long best team. You can argue that a playoff win is more important than a regular season championship, but I think both are significant achievements. If there is only one undefeated P5 team, IMO they should be acknowledged. Making a team win three playoff games sort of hurts regular season excellence.

No it wasn't. The outcome is most games didn't matter. Now it will matter in far more

As will a ton of other games--including far more in G5

No it doesn't - you keep acting like these teams all play the same schedules.
I have never made this claim, so provide one quote of mine that supports this statement. Heck, teams within the same conference don’t even play similar schedules.
Beyond that, an undefeated team from one Conference is not directly comparable to a 1-loss team from another Conference as they play wholly different schedules.
I never claimed they played the same schedules. Teams with 1-loss or more can certainly be compared. Undefeated teams make things a little more difficult because no matter what one thinks, one doesn’t know for sure what it takes for said unbeaten team to lose until they do. Being a PSU fan, also I have a soft spot for unbeaten teams.
Your argument is factually specious and easily PROVEN SO. Following the 2014 regular-season, there was only 1 undefeated-untied team - FSU. According to you, they should have been declared Champion since they had no losses and all the other teams had a loss.
You want to talk facts? Quit making unfounded and incorrect accusations. Nowhere have a stated that only unbeaten teams should be included, or that 1-loss teams should be excluded. Provide a quote of mine that states this or quit making the accusations.

As for you many examples. They completely support my view. I am a big proponent of the 4 team format. It provides a safety net against numerous controversies that the 2 team way didn't. It allows for the most successful teams to compete for the title.

I am not going to whine or cry boo-hoo that my team isn’t good enough to be one of the 4 most successful teams so the format had to be changed so everyone can be included and I can feel happy through November because I think my team still has a chance.

You want to be included, don't lose so often.

Reactions: crm114psu
Getting hot at the end of the year (a playoff trophy) is different from being the season long best team. You can argue that a playoff win is more important than a regular season championship, but I think both are significant achievements. If there is only one undefeated P5 team, IMO they should be acknowledged. Making a team win three playoff games sort of hurts regular season excellence.
You're saying the President's Trophy means more than the Stanley Cup?
The point of a playoff is accepting the fact that teams improve as the year goes on--games week 1 shouldn't have the same value as week 10.

No it wasn't. The outcome is most games didn't matter. Now it will matter in far more
Every team had games that mattered until their failure meant that they didn't matter in regards to being the most successful team. You tell me the team, I will tell you where they failed.

You have countless other tournaments to watch some team get hot and win it. Why mess up the last one that crowned truly successful teams for the whole season and post-season?

You keep saying this, but actual on-field results don't support your claims. Just because a team goes undefeated in one Conference does not necessarily mean they are better than a 1-loss team from another Conference as they are playing completely disparate schedules. The advent of the 4-team Invitational has proven this beyond any question.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Every team had games that mattered until their failure meant that they didn't matter in regards to being the most successful team. You tell me the team, I will tell you where they failed.

You have countless other tournaments to watch some team get hot and win it. Why mess up the last one that crowned truly successful teams for the whole season and post-season?
G5 teams messed up by being a G5 team?

You're saying the President's Trophy means more than the Stanley Cup?
The point of a playoff is accepting the fact that teams improve as the year goes on--games week 1 shouldn't have the same value as week 10.

No. I am saying that in a sport like college football, where we have limited games and very few cross conference games, it could mean just as much.

Say Georgia is 13-0 playing the most difficult SOS and most other teams have at least two losses. Then they go into a 16 team playoff and because of a key injury, they are upset by a FG by a team they beat by 30 points earlier in the season. Then some other two loss team wins the entire thing. Shouldn't the Dawgs be given credit for having the best season long record?

This would both keep the importance of the regular season and provide teams a chance to build towards a playoff after a couple of losses.

I know it won't be implemented, but I can't believe that fans can't see the benefit of preserving the importance of the regular season as well as having an extended playoff. And we REALLY disagree about how game one and game twelve should be differently weighted. That IMO is crazy talk.

No. I am saying that in a sport like college football, where we have limited games and very few cross conference games, it could mean just as much.

Say Georgia is 13-0 playing the most difficult SOS and most other teams have at least two losses. Then they go into a 16 team playoff and because of a key injury, they are upset by a FG by a team they beat by 30 points earlier in the season. Then some other two loss team wins the entire thing. Shouldn't the Dawgs be given credit for having the best season long record?

This would both keep the importance of the regular season and provide teams a chance to build towards a playoff after a couple of losses.

I know it won't be implemented, but I can't believe that fans can't see the benefit of preserving the importance of the regular season as well as having an extended playoff. And we REALLY disagree about how game one and game twelve should be differently weighted. That IMO is crazy talk.
As a very successful coach once said (paraphrased) - we don’t need a President to tell us we were undefeated.

No it can't mean as much.
The Dawgs got credit with the top seed. That's what the regular season is about--seeding. 13-0 is a great season but it's not a championship season if you don't win the playoff. No different than this year if Georgia goes 13-0 then loses in a 4 team playoff.
The importance of the regular season greatly increases with an expanded playoffs. Penn State would have meaningful games the rest of the year.
How is it not weighted differently? See literally every other college sport
The regular season is currently a joke--people are clinging to the past and don't like change. This weekend there's less than a dozen meaningful games--the season is over for everyone has and has been for weeks. For 10-12 teams it's win to get in, teams playing them can be a spoiler, for everyone else it's just about trying to get better or improve your draft status. The outcome of the game doesn't actually impact anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: fastlax16
ADVERTISEMENT