ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Fact checking that claim, it's maybe a little inflated, as in it'll float away if you let go of the string.

I'm approximating "top 30" a little because of available sources, but most will be obviously in.

2015:
- Nick Piccinnini -- yes
- Joe Smith -- I think we did contact him, but everybody knew the score
- Kaid Brock -- probably not

2016:
- Keegan Moore -- probably not, PSU not among his 5 finalists

2017:
- Daton Fix -- yes
- Kaden Gfeller -- "not the most stable of human beings"

2018:
- Travis Wittlake -- committed without an offer, surprised PSU because we weren't pursuing him. Rumor was that he never got an offer from PSU before flipping. Maybe he got a lower offer as a courtesy since he had committed.

2019:
- Brevin Balmaceda -- no
- generously including Kerk b/c he committed to OKST before flipping to Tan Tom. IDK if Cael had offered him during recruitment.

2020:
- AJ Ferrari -- visited PSU. IDK if Cael offered. After his visit, we heard a lot less about interest in either direction.
- Dustin Plott -- I don't think we pursued him
- Trevor Mastro -- no
- Jakason Burks -- I don't think we offered him. Might have dipped a toe in the water. PSU not among his finalists.
- Konnor Doucet -- no

2021:
- Travis Mastro -- no
- Voinovich -- did not have PSU among his finalists
- Teague Travis -- no
- Kyle Haas -- no

2022:
- Jordan Williams -- I don't think we offered him. PSU not among his 7 finalists.
- Fredo -- lol

2023:
- Christian Carroll -- IDK if we offered him
- Brayden Thompson -- probably not
- Cael Hughes -- probably not
- AJ Heeg -- yes, PSU was a finalist. Note, ranking varied, might have been more top 50 than top 30.

2024:
- Beric Jordan -- probably not. He committed early and moved from Ohio to Stilly High.
- Cody Merrill -- have not heard of PSU pursuing him, but it wouldn't surprise me.

2025:
- LaDarian Lockett -- IDK if offered, but PSU not among his 5 finalists
- Kody Routlege -- probably not (he just flipped from Nebraska today)
Nice effort El Jefe

Good catch, 92 kg at U20s, 97 kg at Olympic Trials.

Still, there's a world of difference between making a weight for 1 weekend vs. 6 months, even with a nutrition plan. Wish I could find the pic of Stieber's last suck-down for Worlds -- he made third world starving children look healthy and normal.
Carroll himself advocated being the OSU 197 within the last month. So I don't think it was a weight issue. I just don't think he wanted to be part of the new culture.

I agree but I think he is probably very concerned about beating those guys out. They are similar level recruits to Merrill and he seems to be running from that challenge
Carroll certainly has commitment issues. Obviously as a wrestler he is elite or damn close to it, but, the poor guy is making a mash of it. 10 years from now he will have a fine NCAA career record and probably hang around gyms, bars, and flip burgers at Burger King. This NIL shit might be the greatest thing since sliced bread for teens and “kids” in their 20’s, but, the long term implications are retarded development of the adult skills needed to earn enough money to support a family and be a good dad.

Carroll himself advocated being the OSU 197 within the last month. So I don't think it was a weight issue. I just don't think he wanted to be part of the new culture.
We'll see if/how long he holds 197. Snyder turned down PSU at least partly because Cael thought he'd be a HWT.

The culture part seems to make more sense in any case.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Nothing against Coleman Scott, but when you have the reigning Olympic champ at your approx weight, the choice is obvious. Scuttlebutt on OSU board is that Carroll may not have liked Taylor's new culture and the commitment required to it.
Under that theory, why wouldn't Lilledahl go to Stilly to train with Gilman?

Training directly with Taylor is a factor, for me a huge factor. But relationships trump everything else.

adult skills needed to earn enough money to support a family and be a good dad
Sorry to be the one to inform you, but...

Many young people today:
1) already consider adulting as hard;
2) are not interested in marriage; and,
3) are even less interested in having children.

Seems a growing trend.

So your concern may not be theirs.

This NIL shit might be the greatest thing since sliced bread for teens and “kids” in their 20’s, but, the long term implications are retarded development of the adult skills needed to earn enough money to support a family and be a good dad.
Such as the 10-15 years of consistent, dedicated training needed to be good enough to get an NIL deal?

NIL is like alcohol -- it doesn't make anyone an asshole, it juat brings out existing traits.

And here I am without any NIL...
You're wearing a stormtrooper helmut. Everytime I see you in the movies, you can't hit your target from 10 feet with a laser gun. That's some nasty bad shooting Tex. Takes a lot of gut(s) to complain about a lack of NIL when you aren't producing? You gotta live the life of a warrior to get the NIL deal my friend.

There is *zero* chance of him returning to Oklahoma State. Maybe less.
giphy.gif

Oklahoma State camp believe this is a "he was asked to leave" kind of scenario. I wouldn't doubt it when you consider Cael jettisoned many people his first year including Bubba and Carroll was vocal about wanting Coleman and has been a "flaker"

Heard at the watering hole Ok St has Forest locked in. With Fix staying on and the international guy staying there, it’s a done deal.
DT strikes a huge get early. Also heard Blaze was torn between PSU and OSU, until he got the Ok State offer which blew them both out of the water.

Forest and Blaze, both to Ok state would be shock waves
Read somewhere (maybe Ohio Wrestling forum?) that Blaze wanted his college location to be reasonably close to home; one reason why anOSU and PSU were his finalists. Though I suppose a crazy offer from Okie State could change the equation.

Read somewhere (maybe Ohio Wrestling forum?) that Blaze wanted his college location to be reasonably close to home; one reason why anOSU and PSU were his finalists. Though I suppose a crazy offer from Okie State could change the equation.
Pyles also talked about PSU and anOSU being the most likely destinations due to proximity.

He also said Michigan is "still in the mix" for the same reason. (Columbus is twice as far as Ann Arbor from Perrysville OH.)

Looks like Carroll may end up at ISU. Rumors of Chris Perry going there to coach and supposedly Carroll lives with Perry at the moment.

Looks like Carroll may end up at ISU. Rumors of Chris Perry going there to coach and supposedly Carroll lives with Perry at the moment.
Interesting ... he's not beating Bastida at HWT. If he stays 197, they just imported 3x NQ Bockman from Utah Valley and have a high-end incoming FR, Sawyer Bartelt (undefeated 4x FL state champ, Fargo FS AA, GR JR/Cadet champ).

Also: if he didn't like the culture under David Taylor as rumored, Kevin Dresser isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Interesting ... he's not beating Bastida at HWT. If he stays 197, they just imported 3x NQ Bockman from Utah Valley and have a high-end incoming FR, Sawyer Bartelt (undefeated 4x FL state champ, Fargo FS AA, GR JR/Cadet champ).

Also: if he didn't like the culture under David Taylor as rumored, Kevin Dresser isn't exactly a walk in the park.
Apparently he came to OSU for Perry and not Coleman, so I understand the change of heart.

Last edited:
Interesting post from Coleman Scott’s wife on FB (emphasis mine - but I’m not John Calderon)

“John Calderon Hi John! We are currently staying put for the year in Stillwater even though some local people have suggested it would be easier for them if we move. Whatever Coleman chooses to do in the future will most likely be the best situation for our kids as our daughter is a lacrosse/soccer athlete and being selected to play on teams for nationals and such (she’s pretty awesome like her mom). When we make that decision you all will hear it from us not the rumor mill 😉 Thank you for asking!”

Dresser is gonna let him drink as much as he wants as long he stays out of trouble and shows up to practice ready to go hard.

Dresser is gonna let him drink as much as he wants as long he stays out of trouble and shows up to practice ready to go hard.
I remember that it was the Altons running afoul of Cael's drinking rule when they had drinks in Lock Haven on holiday break. Maybe I'm misremembering the details but Cael was very strict in the early days until the culture was ingrained enough to self perpetuate.

I remember that it was the Altons running afoul of Cael's drinking rule when they had drinks in Lock Haven on holiday break. Maybe I'm misremembering the details but Cael was very strict in the early days until the culture was ingrained enough to self perpetuate.
Mostly right -- Cael might not have found out about the Altons' night in Lock Haven except they got arrested for fighting after midnight. IIRC they were 21 at the time.

Before that, he suspended Clay Steadman for going out on his 21st birthday, and Sam Sherlock disappeared after getting an underage citation during a fall weekend back home in Pittsburgh (which was a real shame since Cael went to bat for him after his HS injury).

Also helped that Cael landed some killers who didn't drink -- Zain, Jason, Bo among others.

Mostly right -- Cael might not have found out about the Altons' night in Lock Haven except they got arrested for fighting after midnight. IIRC they were 21 at the time.

Before that, he suspended Clay Steadman for going out on his 21st birthday, and Sam Sherlock disappeared after getting an underage citation during a fall weekend back home in Pittsburgh (which was a real shame since Cael went to bat for him after his HS injury).

Also helped that Cael landed some killers who didn't drink -- Zain, Jason, Bo among others.
I remembered the fight after I posted and while making dinner. A double rib 2" thick tomahawk pork chop. Exquisite. Changing culture is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
I remembered the fight after I posted and while making dinner. A double rib 2" thick tomahawk pork chop. Exquisite. Changing culture is not for the faint of heart.
Yep.

The other thing I remember from those days: Cael reportedly ran exceptionally tough practices for the first year or two, to find out who really wanted to be there. Many of the guys had to learn how to convince themselves they were having fun. The successful ones did.

Yep.

The other thing I remember from those days: Cael reportedly ran exceptionally tough practices for the first year or two, to find out who really wanted to be there. Many of the guys had to learn how to convince themselves they were having fun. The successful ones did.
There are evolving culture issues at OSU just like there were here. Separating the wheat from the chaff is ongoing as I understand it.. More transfers to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum

OSU under Smith in the Ferrari years must have been like the Delta house in comparison. 🥴

Yep.

I still remember the ascent of Quentin Wright. There was a period during that sophomore season in which he was struggling badly, many said he was hurt, and he lost a bunch of matches. Didn't he enter the B1G tournament as a 7 or 8 seed or something?

I'd love to know just exactly what happened because it was like a light went on and he jumped 3 levels in 4 weeks and never looked back.

Reactions: creamery freak
I still remember the ascent of Quentin Wright. There was a period during that sophomore season in which he was struggling badly, many said he was hurt, and he lost a bunch of matches. Didn't he enter the B1G tournament as a 7 or 8 seed or something?

I'd love to know just exactly what happened because it was like a light went on and he jumped 3 levels in 4 weeks and never looked back.
My recollection is that Cael learned to trust in the style of each wrestler (whether he agreed or not) and not try to change them but to help them be the best they could be within themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT