ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

My recollection is that Cael learned to trust in the style of each wrestler (whether he agreed or not) and not try to change them but to help them be the best they could be within themselves.
Maybe. And maybe Q just got healthy. But it was the biggest quantum leap I have ever seen to this day by a wrestler in the middle of the season.

Reactions: mvattivo
Mostly right -- Cael might not have found out about the Altons' night in Lock Haven except they got arrested for fighting after midnight. IIRC they were 21 at the time.

Before that, he suspended Clay Steadman for going out on his 21st birthday, and Sam Sherlock disappeared after getting an underage citation during a fall weekend back home in Pittsburgh (which was a real shame since Cael went to bat for him after his HS injury).

Also helped that Cael landed some killers who didn't drink -- Zain, Jason, Bo among others.
IIRC, the Altons were never charged with any alcohol-related violations. Also heard that they may have been standing up for a high school classmate (girl) who was being disrespected. That said, in Cael's perspective, being in a bar after midnight was not a habit he would condone or approve.

My recollection is that Cael learned to trust in the style of each wrestler (whether he agreed or not) and not try to change them but to help them be the best they could be within themselves.
The truth is probably somewhere in between: IIRC his Iowa State teams were not monoliths, but didn't have the widely divergent styles or the athletic capabilities of the Wright-Ruth-Molinaro-Taylor teams.

Q was an interesting case because he and Cael fought a lot about his style. Cael once told him "your preferred style is folkstyle, freestyle, and Greco in that order."

Q also thought he had to change his style to mirror Cael's -- ankle picks and the like. That was largely self-imposed, and not working for him. His shoulder injury was a huge blessing in disguise: Q returned just before the postseason and didn't have time to change his style -- just do what you do and let it rip.

Reactions: creamery freak
IIRC, the Altons were never charged with any alcohol-related violations. Also heard that they may have been standing up for a high school classmate (girl) who was being disrespected. That said, in Cael's perspective, being in a bar after midnight was not a habit he would condone or approve.
"Penn State wrestlers Andrew and Dylan Alton were issued citations for harassment, public drunkenness and disorderly conduct following an incident in Lock Haven early Friday morning, according to court documents."

I still remember the ascent of Quentin Wright. There was a period during that sophomore season in which he was struggling badly, many said he was hurt, and he lost a bunch of matches. Didn't he enter the B1G tournament as a 7 or 8 seed or something?

I'd love to know just exactly what happened because it was like a light went on and he jumped 3 levels in 4 weeks and never looked back.
8th seed at Big10s, the 9th seed at NCAAs as the Big10 champion.
Quentin and Cael had a literal come to Jesus sit down on Cael's back deck the Sunday afternoon/evening 2 weeks before the Big10s were wrestled.

That was the story. Thank you.

I still remember the ascent of Quentin Wright. There was a period during that sophomore season in which he was struggling badly, many said he was hurt, and he lost a bunch of matches. Didn't he enter the B1G tournament as a 7 or 8 seed or something?

I'd love to know just exactly what happened because it was like a light went on and he jumped 3 levels in 4 weeks and never looked back.

That was truly crazy! He looked "lost" through a period of that season. It felt like something was going on that went beyond wrestling, but, that is pure speculation. Then, he stared turning it on in the post-season to the point that, after his pin in the semis, I was extremely confident that no one was going to beat him. He will always be one of my all-time favorites. Such a great kid! If he doesn't beat Kilgore, which was considered a pretty decent upset that year, the team title comes down to the result of Dake-Taylor.

Such as the 10-15 years of consistent, dedicated training needed to be good enough to get an NIL deal?

NIL is like alcohol -- it doesn't make anyone an asshole, it juat brings out existing traits.
A kid who dedicates 10-15 years to wrestling training does so because he loves it. That is not really one iota different from the tens of thousands of kids who devote their early years to computer science, earning a doctorate, or becoming a top level mechanic …. EXCEPT that those other kids don’t universally have wanna-be alumni and businessmen showering them with cash and a creepy brand of adulation. My point is that grifting for NIL money is not a life skill that’s going to pay dividends by the time the kid reaches 35 or 40 and still has his hand out looking for some money.

Wasn't that when Casey C worked with him toward getting off bottom position?

GOOD GRIEF.........what is beyond White Claw??

A kid who dedicates 10-15 years to wrestling training does so because he loves it. That is not really one iota different from the tens of thousands of kids who devote their early years to computer science, earning a doctorate, or becoming a top level mechanic …. EXCEPT that those other kids don’t universally have wanna-be alumni and businessmen showering them with cash and a creepy brand of adulation. My point is that grifting for NIL money is not a life skill that’s going to pay dividends by the time the kid reaches 35 or 40 and still has his hand out looking for some money.
If they invest their money wisely instead blowing the NIL $ on expensive cars and the like, then the NIL cash could be literally paying dividends when the kid reaches 35 or 40.

If they invest their money wisely instead blowing the NIL $ on expensive cars and the like, then the NIL cash could be literally paying dividends when the kid reaches 35 or 40.
I am sure there are more out there, but the only person that I've ever heard that saved a ton was Rob Gronkowski. Lived off his endorsements and banked all $50M he got from the Patriots over nine years.

Everyone else buys cars and homes, gets married, or invests in businesses that fail.

Reactions: Ski
That was truly crazy! He looked "lost" through a period of that season. It felt like something was going on that went beyond wrestling, but, that is pure speculation. Then, he stared turning it on in the post-season to the point that, after his pin in the semis, I was extremely confident that no one was going to beat him. He will always be one of my all-time favorites. Such a great kid! If he doesn't beat Kilgore, which was considered a pretty decent upset that year, the team title comes down to the result of Dake-Taylor.

Was that the season Spyker said he should dump his girlfriend?

Wasn't that when Casey C worked with him toward getting off bottom position?
First match the next year was against Minnesota and Gophers rode the snot out of the Lions and won the dual in convincing fashion. At the end of the very next practice it was decided your practice was done once you got off the bottom in a whistle start. Matt Brown was Q's partner and 45 minutes after everybody else had managed to win a whistle start from the bottom Matt was still stuffing Q into the mat. Finally after being the last one for that long Q got out, and according to Q nobody ever rode him after that.

You're wearing a stormtrooper helmut. Everytime I see you in the movies, you can't hit your target from 10 feet with a laser gun. That's some nasty bad shooting Tex. Takes a lot of gut(s) to complain about a lack of NIL when you aren't producing? You gotta live the life of a warrior to get the NIL deal my friend.

It's unconfirmed, but I heard Cstroke was benched by the Stormtroopers for repeated dress code violations.

I am sure there are more out there, but the only person that I've ever heard that saved a ton was Rob Gronkowski. Lived off his endorsements and banked all $50M he got from the Patriots over nine years.

Everyone else buys cars and homes, gets married, or invests in businesses that fail.

If you’re talking the NFL, the culture of spending has dramatically shifted. Between the players association and vets in the lockeroom, money is talked about in terms of horizontal income.

There are obviously idiots with their money, but it’s actually far more of the majority who invest. I think the reality of, very few players will play longer than 2 years - has actually set in. And guys take it serious to educate the rookies.

It’s weird to think about, but “portfolio” conversations happen a lot more than you think in an NFL locker room

If you’re talking the NFL, the culture of spending has dramatically shifted. Between the players association and vets in the lockeroom, money is talked about in terms of horizontal income.

There are obviously idiots with their money, but it’s actually far more of the majority who invest. I think the reality of, very few players will play longer than 2 years - has actually set in. And guys take it serious to educate the rookies.

It’s weird to think about, but “portfolio” conversations happen a lot more than you think in an NFL locker room
I bet the least involved guys in those convos are the WR groups.

Here you go. I started this at the point that Quentin explains what happened. You'll need about 5 minutes or so.

True enough! What percentage of NIL athletes do you think save the majority of their “take” for use 10- 30 years down the road.

LOL good one I doubt you can find anyone in DC that's not a crook!
I had a really good HS friend who got convicted of cookin some actuarial calculations at one of the largest Life Insurance firms. After serving a white collar stint at Allenwood he got a job with a NY congressman that evolved into a DC job on K Street. Long story short, he used his Ivy Ed and his prior insurance experience to help re-write some insurance regulations. My buddy got in trouble again, but, only when the press became aware of his insider trading proclivities.

Here you go. I started this at the point that Quentin explains what happened. You'll need about 5 minutes or so.

Excellent interview - thanks! Never really heard Q speak at length like that, very insightful.

Main take aways for me. Q talking about the personal side of his life reminded me, these young men aren't just athletic machines. They go thru personal struggles, academic struggles, etc. that impact their performance. We need to keep that in mind and be forgiving in our judgement at times. Surprised that when Cael first arrived he was trying to teach his style and technique (ankle pick), and not focusing on what the wrestler brings. I know that's an oversimplification, but sounds like he really shifted that mindset early in his tenure at PSU (at least according to Q). This is shocking to me, as this seems to be at the core of Penn State's success (along with the making training and wrestling fun philosophy).

Lastly, this was another reminder of the importance of Bonnie to this program and our wrestlers. I'm not sure how old she is, but I hope we have a Bonnie Jr in training and ready to go when she decides to retire 😉

Excellent interview - thanks! Never really heard Q speak at length like that, very insightful.

Main take aways for me. Q talking about the personal side of his life reminded me, these young men aren't just athletic machines. They go thru personal struggles, academic struggles, etc. that impact their performance. We need to keep that in mind and be forgiving in our judgement at times. Surprised that when Cael first arrived he was trying to teach his style and technique (ankle pick), and not focusing on what the wrestler brings. I know that's an oversimplification, but sounds like he really shifted that mindset early in his tenure at PSU (at least according to Q). This is shocking to me, as this seems to be at the core of Penn State's success (along with the making training and wrestling fun philosophy).

Lastly, this was another reminder of the importance of Bonnie to this program and our wrestlers. I'm not sure how old she is, but I hope we have a Bonnie Jr in training and ready to go when she decides to retire 😉
Duh.

• Haha
Reactions: mhlarch
Last edited:

Since when did professional athletes getting married become a problem?

Picked up several nuggets from Cowboy board:

Thompson gone if his mom selling all her Cowboy gear is any indication

Sounds like Williams is already HEW

Rumors that Chris (Jabba the Hutt lite) Perry has been trying to get Ok State guys into the portal because he’s pissed about being let go

I just hope we have a quiet summer - apart from a Blaze commit and several Olympic medals of course

Picked up several nuggets from Cowboy board:

Thompson gone if his mom selling all her Cowboy gear is any indication

Sounds like Williams is already HEW

Rumors that Chris (Jabba the Hutt lite) Perry has been trying to get Ok State guys into the portal because he’s pissed about being let go

I just hope we have a quiet summer - apart from a Blaze commit and several Olympic medals of course
Curious why you always fat shame?

Reactions: donboy6499
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT