ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Carter commented under this post on Instagram saying “Cuz wants Aaron to lose”
There's clearly some "angst" amongst some of the individuals behind the scenes. Is it legit? Or is it CStar hyping things up to promote the show? He's proven to be an entertainer that gets a lot of people talking, which isn't a bad thing for the sport.

Reactions: 1AA
There's clearly some "angst" amongst some of the individuals behind the scenes. Is it legit? Or is it CStar hyping things up to promote the show? He's proven to be an entertainer that gets a lot of people talking, which isn't a bad thing for the sport.
IDK to what degree Carter believes vs stirs here ...

But would it have killed Taylor to say something along the lines of "I'm rooting for Aaron as my friend and teammate the past 5 years"?

Just to get back on topic… I think Truly prob has the best hard seltzer.

Come by lot 24 at 7:00am on a Saturday noon kickoff and have a Truly pineapple with me with eggs, bacon, potatoes and sausage. Delicious.

Last edited:
But would it have killed Taylor to say something along the lines of "I'm rooting for Aaron as my friend and teammate the past 5 years"?
Yes because IMO, he doesn't feel that way. People seem to have forgotten how DT acted at the end of the Cox match in 2017 and his subsequent uncalled for comment on Twitter at Worlds that year. He does not take losing well, you don’t see it often because he didn’t lose often. This is as nice of an answer as you’ll get from a competitor like him. Carter is stirring the pot and this is a nothingburger.

Yes because IMO, he doesn't feel that way. People seem to have forgotten how DT acted at the end of the Cox match in 2017 and his subsequent uncalled for comment on Twitter at Worlds that year. He does not take losing well, you don’t see it often because he didn’t lose often. This is as nice of an answer as you’ll get from a competitor like him. Carter is stirring the pot and this is a nothingburger.
People forgot?

Or did they suppose he might have matured in 7 years of becoming a father and coaching hundreds of youth wrestlers to be gracious in both victory and defeat?

If he can't learn to be a little gracious, then he might be doomed to whining on Twitter from Aruba.

Carter is unapologetically blunt about what he thinks. Unless he posts a retraction, it's a pretty safe bet he believes exactly what he posts.
Yeah, I don't think this is just Carter stirring the pot. I think it's pretty obvious that DT won't be shedding any tears if Aaron loses and that Carter and Aaron aren't big DT fans.

So be it. There's a reason why people were so impressed with Nick and Zains actions at the trials. It's pretty rare.

I think it’s just the natural way of things.

We all love David Taylor, and can easily recall how much he did for the program. But to Carter (and I’d bet more than anyone would like to know) and probably most the guys there, he’s the old head that they just see as another guy to try to be better than. His legacy, the one we all adore, is just another thing to eclipse.

Carter/Brooks/likely most or all of the present team feel the same way, just like I’m sure the present WRs at Georgia feel like AJ Green is just another guy. They read about him but are really competing against him and his achievements (though in Brooks case that was literal until two months ago).
These guys don’t care about Taylor and Ruth much, if at all, and that’s perfectly ok. They care about getting better at wrestling and being good people, and the guys in the room in 2039 will feel that way about Carter and AB.

Last edited:
I think it’s just the natural way of things.

We all love David Taylor, and can easily recall how much he did for the program. But to Carter (and I’d bet more than anyone would like to know) and probably most the guys there, he’s the old head that they just see as another guy to try to be better than. His legacy, the one we all adore, is just another thing to eclipse.

Carter/Brooks/likely most or all of the present team feel the same way, just like I’m sure the present WRs at Georgia feel like AJ Green is just another guy. They read about him but are really competing against him and his achievements (though in Brooks case that was literal until two months ago).
These guys don’t care about Taylor and Ruth much, if at all, and that’s perfectly ok. They care about getting better at wrestling and being good people, and the guys in the room in 2039 will feel that way about Carter and AB.
Is it though?

There were 2 changings of the guard at Trials this year, and Gilman handled his better.

10 years ago, who would've thought Gilman would handle defeat publicly better than Taylor?

Is it though?

There were 2 changings of the guard at Trials this year, and Gilman handled his better.

10 years ago, who would've thought Gilman would handle defeat publicly better than Taylor?
Maybe there’s more, but I think that Gilman has 2 things working for him re: psu legacy:

He’s not a Penn State legacy at all, so there’s no 125 coming in that ever has to hear about how great he was there or live up to his X national titles.

He wasn’t a guy that a current Penn State favorite was trying to beat to make a world team.

In other words, while I’m certain there’s respect there, to these guys now like Carter and AB, all they’ve really known of Taylor is he’s a guy until 2 months ago in their way up, and he’s a guy who now works every day to beat Penn State wrestling.

Know who probably shares a lot of that feeling with them? The coaching staff at Penn State.

Last edited:
David and Ed were the prototypes for the PSU style, and by sticking around, David became the face of Penn State wrestling, second only to Cael.

That image will slowly fade now that he is wearing orange and black, but I doubt any one wrestler will take his place. It will instead be Cael with a host of champions in the background.

I'll not let any supposedly existing animosity spoil my respect for DT, and I won't let his leaving spoil my excitement for the future of PSU wrestling.

As for being a sore loser, hell, I can identify with that.

That image will slowly fade now that he is wearing orange and black, but I doubt any one wrestler will take his place. It will instead be Cael with a host of champions in the background.

I'll not let any supposedly existing animosity spoil my respect for DT, and I won't let his leaving spoil my excitement for the future of PSU wrestling.

As for being a sore loser, hell, I can identify with that.
Nailed it!

This inside battle they might have with each other is why the public is not allowed in the locker room. Not all teammates get along and that is perfectly fine, as long as they don't ruin the chemistry of the team. Who here likes all thier co-workers, I know I sure as hell don't!

Nailed it!

This inside battle they might have with each other is why the public is not allowed in the locker room. Not all teammates get along and that is perfectly fine, as long as they don't ruin the chemistry of the team. Who here likes all thier co-workers, I know I sure as hell don't!
Just like young single men don't normally hang out with married men with kids in the evening. Different priorities and outlooks.

Last edited:
I tend to judge guys mostly by what they do on the mat (barring gross transgressions ala fastcar). In broad strokes, I've learned not to use athletes to guide my ethical/moral/personal responsibility path (Cael is admittedly an exception). To that end, Taylor will always be one of my most favorites. His series w/ Yazdani is the stuff of legends. It's OK if he has growth areas--coaching will show them in other ways, I'm sure.

For the record AB is also one of my favorites of all time. I'm sure he looks forward to becoming a better man too.

Carter is also someone who is fiercely loyal to the people who take care of him for the record. AB and Bo are both his boys, if you have beef with them, you have beef with Carter. He also is as someone mentioned unapologetically blunt. People from Erie pride themselves in both of those character traits for the record.

Bo is clearly Carter's guy. There's a reason Bo went out of his way to call JB out for comments (that IMO weren't that bad but clearly Bo took exception to) about attacking Carter's bad knee. They have each others backs. Similarly, Bo clearly is someone who will help launch Carter's MMA career after (Carter is training at Bo's gym and also has ATT connections countrywide already) I previously said but Bo's relationship with DT soured when DT wasn't honest about missing Worlds in 2019 (instead making Bo go up against a monster in J'Den Cox so he couldn't get a world medal at 86 and thus take the OTT finalist spot)

Brooks clearly feels DT is the reason his U23 failed drug test issue came to light. This is despite the fact the actual story is he had a TUE and predisclosed everything to USADA but forgot to bring his actual script to worlds. There's a reason why Brooks was 100% cleared with no punishment, because it literally was a paperwork issue. But like always, people like running rampant with false accusations.

Sorry for the double post but Carter's personality rubs outsiders the wrong way but it's clear our guys are ready to go to war for him. Why do you think Zack Ryder went out of his way to call Gabe Arnold immediately after beating him at U20s? Carter clearly is someone Zack looks up to and feels Carter has his back.

Carter clearly doesn't take exception to people leaving. Notice how he (and all the team) wished Barraclough the best but also he congratulated Michael Beard on beating Max Dean in 2022 also and just said "it was a war"

Carter is a loudmouth, I think he walks a thin line with what he says. The "spit in his face" comment was too far but the context there once again is Carter felt one of his guy was attacked (Mesenbrink against JB) I don't blame outsiders for not liking him (combined with the fact they're looking for a PSU guy to hate) But he's our guy and I'm very glad he is. Others can say what they want but as long as he has Cael and the other guys respect in the room, that's all that matters to me.

Carter is also someone who is fiercely loyal to the people who take care of him for the record. AB and Bo are both his boys, if you have beef with them, you have beef with Carter. He also is as someone mentioned unapologetically blunt. People from Erie pride themselves in both of those character traits for the record.

Bo is clearly Carter's guy. There's a reason Bo went out of his way to call JB out for comments (that IMO weren't that bad but clearly Bo took exception to) about attacking Carter's bad knee. They have each others backs. Similarly, Bo clearly is someone who will help launch Carter's MMA career after (Carter is training at Bo's gym and also has ATT connections countrywide already) I previously said but Bo's relationship with DT soured when DT wasn't honest about missing Worlds in 2019 (instead making Bo go up against a monster in J'Den Cox so he couldn't get a world medal at 86 and thus take the OTT finalist spot)

Brooks clearly feels DT is the reason his U23 failed drug test issue came to light. This is despite the fact the actual story is he had a TUE and predisclosed everything to USADA but forgot to bring his actual script to worlds. There's a reason why Brooks was 100% cleared with no punishment, because it literally was a paperwork issue. But like always, people like running rampant with false accusations.
Yeah, DT in 2019 put Downey on the world team instead of Bo. That's probably the reason why @WildTurk is running around on GIA posting that Hawk fans generally respect DT. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Yeah, DT in 2019 put Downey on the world team instead of Bo. That's probably the reason why @WildTurk is running around on GIA posting that Hawk fans generally respect DT. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Let's just say this, his statement announcing himself out wished PD3 well by saying "Downey - shoot your shot, moments like this don't get gifted to you very often" was a very DT statement to make (even ignoring how you feel about PD3)

Generally speaking, David Taylor is respected well by Hawkeye fans I know and associate with. That's the truth

Sorry for the double post but Carter's personality rubs outsiders the wrong way but it's clear our guys are ready to go to war for him. Why do you think Zack Ryder went out of his way to call Gabe Arnold immediately after beating him at U20s? Carter clearly is someone Zack looks up to and feels Carter has his back.

Carter clearly doesn't take exception to people leaving. Notice how he (and all the team) wished Barraclough the best but also he congratulated Michael Beard on beating Max Dean in 2022 also and just said "it was a war"

Carter is a loudmouth, I think he walks a thin line with what he says. The "spit in his face" comment was too far but the context there once again is Carter felt one of his guy was attacked (Mesenbrink against JB) I don't blame outsiders for not liking him (combined with the fact they're looking for a PSU guy to hate) But he's our guy and I'm very glad he is. Others can say what they want but as long as he has Cael and the other guys respect in the room, that's all that matters to me.
In contrast, our coaches support every one of our current and former wrestlers and don’t appear to utter a bad word about any of them. There’s a lot to admire about Cael and his coaches, and certainly benefits in emulating them.

In contrast, our coaches support every one of our current and former wrestlers and don’t appear to utter a bad word about any of them. There’s a lot to admire about Cael and his coaches, and certainly benefits in emulating them.
Without knowing Cael personally, I'd say, could he do without some of Carter's ahem ... quotes? Absolutely. But would he change a thing about Carter? No, I think he also realizes part of that mentality is what has made him a 4 timer and how he overcame his injury to win it all this year.

He also is as someone mentioned unapologetically blunt. People from Erie pride themselves in both of those character traits for the record.
giphy.gif

They weren't, which makes the embarrassment they brought to the Hawk program even worse. Despite their multiple public debacles and their well known asshat skills they were invited in and allowed to stay until the repeated shit on the program stains became too much.
They were never Hawkeye's. There is no issues or shit stains like you hope there would be.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
I still find in curious there was no big official statement from the staff in regards to Taylor leaving. He was the face of the program for a long while. World Champ, Olympic Champ, Hodges, and M2. And when he left for Okie State, not much said. Not much from Taylor about PSU as well. Just seems like something happened. Maybe not, but feels that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT