ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

I love a good sports rivalry, and we haven't had one in a few years, so yeah, sign me up. But primarily--I'm really happy for Roman. I am assuming this means a pay increase for him, and I know his family is hard up, so that has to be good news for all involved. Hope he can reach his goals w/ the cowboys, and maybe Daton will learn some new tricks too.

I’m sure Cael has an exact monetary value on what a 2x national champion, non US representative is. All for athletes representing other countries and the opportunity it brings but you don’t get in a bidding war over that. “Thanks but no thanks”-Cael
You’re crazy if you don’t think there was a bidding war.

Losing RBY, Gilman is a HUGE blow to Cael. Cody doesn’t really “go” with the guys the same way Casey, Cael and Varner do.

And pretty sure Kennedy had a lot to do with Davis’s great (and completely unexpected) year.

Losing RBY, Gilman is a HUGE blow to Cael. Cody doesn’t really “go” with the guys the same way Casey, Cael and Varner do.

And pretty sure Kennedy had a lot to do with Davis’s great (and completely unexpected) year.
What’s your basis on that statement with Cody?

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Can you relay what has been said?
From what I remember, it was mainly just your normal coach/internal person leaving type of thing and working hard to get as many people as possible to go with.

Which is what Taylor should have done, but obviously Cael and Co. wouldn’t take to kindly to it.

From Cody’s mouth. Can’t remember what podcast, but he doesn’t/cant wrestle everyday.

But obviously, the man is good at EVERYTHING ELSE
Got it. I was legitimately curious so apologize if I came off as strong. Probably because I’ve heard people talk about Cody like he’s just there sometimes but it’s no coincidence he’s been a staple with Cael and Casey. Willie said before Cody makes sure operationally the program is flawless but obviously that’s not wrestling.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence Nick Lee has been in a lot more demonstration videos with the lightweights though you’re right.

Got it. I was legitimately curious so apologize if I came off as strong. Probably because I’ve heard people talk about Cody like he’s just there sometimes but it’s no coincidence he’s been a staple with Cael and Casey. Willie said before Cody makes sure operationally the program is flawless but obviously that’s not wrestling.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence Nick Lee has been in a lot more demonstration videos with the lightweights though you’re right.

All good. I didn’t think you were being aggressive. It’s pretty hard to get details out if PSU. So it feels like everything you find out is a big deal/noteworthy.

But yeah. Cody was a freaking pre-med major - his intelligence at running a program and how to train athletes is the best in the country (obviously)

All good. I didn’t think you were being aggressive. It’s pretty hard to get details out if PSU. So it feels like everything you find out is a big deal/noteworthy.

But yeah. Cody was a freaking pre-med major - his intelligence at running a program and how to train athletes is the best in the country (obviously)
Always cracks me up that Cael was an art major. Cael with his torn up ears in classes with Goth girls and guys and assorted “artistes”

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

• Love
Reactions: AtownPoke

How many lightweight national champs has Cody coached up over the last few years? And, how many have Gilman, Fix, and DT combined? Lots of videos of Cody with a solid sweat on or in workout gear, for not "going" with the guys.

I think we’ll see it start to accelerate. DT has walked on egg shells up until this point so there’s been no point of contention. That’s over now. I’d assume DTs bridges are a smoldering pile of ash by this morning… which is honestly a great thing for both PSU and OSU. The rivalry can finally begin and DT can go all in as a Cowboy
AtownPoke, I am glad you are posting here and I welcome you aboard. My wife and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary today, so we are 34 and counting, unlike OSU, who is 34 and holding : ) This is as close to smack talk as you will ever get from me, since, as you can see, I'm not very good at it! I am looking forward to the Penn State/OSU rivalry going forward. I think it will be great for all of us college wrestling fans. Hopefully number 35 won't be for many years :cool:

AtownPoke, I am glad you are posting here and I welcome you aboard. My wife and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary today, so we are 34 and counting, unlike OSU, who is 34 and holding : ) This is as close to smack talk as you will ever get from me, since, as you can see, I'm not very good at it! I am looking forward to the Penn State/OSU rivalry going forward. I think it will be great for all of us college wrestling fans. Hopefully number 35 won't be for many years :cool:
Are we going to be able to have a rivalry though? Dresser described orange a few years back and I'm concerned about a team that bathes in it.

Congratulations on 34, I am closing in on 35 in 7 weeks, I guess that will make my marriage better than OSU wrestling!

Well congrats man. That’s a long time and something I aspire to. My wife and are coming up on our 11th and we’ve been together for 15 now overall. Pretty wild considering it feels like we just left Stillwater. It all moves fast.

And I really do have to give you guys credit as well… Y’all have a great board and are some really good guys from what I can tell. It makes it fun.

Lol and yes the “34 and counting” has drug out alittle too long thanks to yall.

34 and counting here as well.

I still feel the DT hiring is going to have its biggest impact on the Iowa program. As far as Cael goes, somehow I don't see him shrinking from the competition - might even give him extra motivation (not that he needs it).
it's been reported by those in the know that Tom has asked Bobby Telford to make multiple recruiting phone calls daily.

I still feel the DT hiring is going to have its biggest impact on the Iowa program. As far as Cael goes, somehow I don't see him shrinking from the competition - might even give him extra motivation (not that he needs it).
Remember, competition is a two-way street. Taylor also has to compete with Cael, not to mention all the other head coaches in college wrestling. While he's very-well-proven as an amateur wrestler, Taylor is as yet completely unproven as a head coach or, for that matter, as a coach at any level. The major difference between Cael and Taylor is that Cael has demonstrated he's as good a college head coach as he was a college wrestler, and his record as a college wrestler is the all-time best.

The extent of Cael's success on two levels is unique in college wrestling. A very few are close to him, e.g. Gable, John Smith, maybe Tom Brands. But at the moment, David Taylor's success as a head coach remains very much TBD.

Last edited:
Remember, competition is a two-way street. Taylor also has to compete with Cael, and all the other head coaches in college wrestling as well. While he's well-proven as an amateur wrestler, Taylor is as yet completely unproven as a head coach or, for that matter, as a coach at any level. The major difference between Cael and Taylor is that Cael has proven he's as good of a head coach as he was a college wrestler, and his record as a college wrestler is the all-time best.
He still has a few years to go, but it takes someone beyond driven and focused to achieve the pinnacle of the sport in two different areas of it, in this case as a wrestler and a coach. If he had achieved two golds, he might be able to claim that "best ever" title as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT