ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Cael has said it a ton "I'm here to coach wrestling, not babysit" (paraphrase) It's obviously a big part of his recruiting philosophy.

There's arguments for both sides. You can say a kid like Jordan Williams especially needs structure to better himself or you can argue without having to worry about the stresses of wrestling, he has a better chance to just recovery. Either way, I imagine it's not DT's responsibility anymore, I hope the kid can turn it around.

I bet throwing a wrestler off the OSU team wasn't on DT's New Year's resolutions top 1000 at the beginning of the year.

I bet throwing a wrestler off the OSU team wasn't on DT's New Year's resolutions top 1000 at the beginning of the year.
After he accepted the job, I bet he saw it coming. I forgot, was it 13 kids off the team in Cael's first 2 years?

There will be more once school starts and football weekends and ahem ... extracurriculars occur.

Part of the process.

In my young and dumb days a police officer pulled me over. After about 10 minutes he came back to my truck and said "I know I can cite you for DUI" He dropped me off at a Denny's and said have someone come and pick you up, if I see you leave on your own I'm going to nail your ass. That was my wakeup call and have never even came close to that again.

After he accepted the job, I bet he saw it coming. I forgot, was it 13 kids off the team in Cael's first 2 years?

There will be more once school starts and football weekends and ahem ... extracurriculars occur.

Part of the process.
Pearsall said it was 17 that didn’t survive. Like half the team .

Well there you go. DT is letting everyone know right up front that he is serious. Cael did the same. They are both being paid very well to produce winning programs, so they are going to call it as they see it.

Well there you go. DT is letting everyone know right up front that he is serious. Cael did the same. They are both being paid very well to produce winning programs, so they are going to call it as they see it.
... but is DT serious enough to do Friday Night Lights? I hope not. That seemed a little draconian but maybe we needed it then. Maybe the Cowboys need it more now. My understanding is the 2024 OSU culture was worse than PSU in 2009.

In my young and dumb days a police officer pulled me over. After about 10 minutes he came back to my truck and said "I know I can cite you for DUI" He dropped me off at a Denny's and said have someone come and pick you up, if I see you leave on your own I'm going to nail your ass. That was my wakeup call and have never even came close to that again.
I'm glad that worked for you. As a retired police officer, it was unbelievable how many people would drive off drunk even after their friends begged them or an officer warned them not to drive. Back in 2018 in San Diego there was a young Marine whose friends told him not to drive because he was drunk. He drove away anyway. He later crashed head on into a vehicle on the freeway, killing two UCSD medical students and seriously injuring three additional passengers. The Marine was sentenced to 17 years in prison.

You would also have people who would not drink for a few hours and then drive, thinking they were now sober enough. What most people fail to understand is your BAC is only going to drop about .015% per hour. At .15% BAC (not unusually high for many who drink) it would take you about five hours to get under the legal limit of .08%.

Regarding Mr. Williams, I hope he gets the help he needs. My brother started drinking in high school, became a chronic alcoholic, and passed away at just 41 from the abuse his body took from drugs and alcohol.

I'm glad that worked for you. As a retired police officer, it was unbelievable how many people would drive off drunk even after their friends begged them or an officer warned them not to drive. Back in 2018 in San Diego there was a young Marine whose friends told him not to drive because he was drunk. He drove away anyway. He later crashed head on into a vehicle on the freeway, killing two UCSD medical students and seriously injuring three additional passengers. The Marine was sentenced to 17 years in prison.

You would also have people who would not drink for a few hours and then drive, thinking they were now sober enough. What most people fail to understand is your BAC is only going to drop about .015% per hour. At .15% BAC (not unusually high for many who drink) it would take you about five hours to get under the legal limit of .08%.

Regarding Mr. Williams, I hope he gets the help he needs. My brother started drinking in high school, became a chronic alcoholic, and passed away at just 41 from the abuse his body took from drugs and alcohol.
Sorry about your brother. My BIL is in spine surgery today after wrapping his car around a tree at 70 MPH while intoxicated last Friday. Waited until today for the swelling to go down. Shattered his T1 vertebrae and may never walk again. A lifelong alcoholic but you can't even start a conversation on the subject without him screaming and walking out on you. No matter how subtle and sincere.

Life can be brutal for some. I used to sneer at the wastefulness of the Jordan Williams' of the world, but as I got older, I pity them. It is a disease they cannot control, and they are no more rational about it than gamblers or drug addicts.

Last edited:
Can we not take the full leap into diagnosing Williams as an alcoholic? Maybe he is, or maybe he just doesn't exercise self-control or sound judgment. Which isn't uncommon among college-aged males ...

By that standard, anybody who has twice dined at an Italian mother's house has an eating disorder.

You're really preaching to the choir now. In the 80's, I was one of those fools driving around SD when I should have walked or called a cab. Fortunately, I never got in an accident or any serious trouble, but I eventually realized that alcohol and I did not mix well. I haven't touched the stuff for a long time and I don't miss it at all.

Can we not take the full leap into diagnosing Williams as an alcoholic? Maybe he is, or maybe he just doesn't exercise self-control or sound judgment. Which isn't uncommon among college-aged males ...

By that standard, anybody who has twice dined at an Italian mother's house has an eating disorder.
NO. He's an alcoholic El Jefe. I've helped a few get help in an AA program. I had a spouse who went into a 30 day program. Williams is an alcoholic by definition. Period. End of story. Stop trying to minimize it.

If you are in a zero tolerance state and still do it, you have no self control. That makes you an alcoholic.

Wait doesn’t every kid in Oklahoma drink, drive to the rodeo, wear their cowboy boots and put some tobacco in.

100%. He MAY be an alcoholic, but to infer he is an alcoholic by the information that's available would be stupid.

Jefe - see my post above replying to Psalm 1. Whether or not I was a "true" alcoholic, I have no idea. Once I decided to quit, that was it. I never looked back and haven't had any problems avoiding it since then. But what I did learn is that for some people, and I am one of them, alcohol is a bad choice. Alcohol blurs your judgment and reduces your inhibitions, and for me, that was a very dangerous combination. It's quite possible that Williams is the same way. If he decides to stop drinking alcohol he might not have any problems abstaining, but he will at least need to confront the fact that he has a tendency to get into trouble when he does drink.

Reactions: goldenanimal
NO. He's an alcoholic El Jefe. I've helped a few get help in an AA program. I had a spouse who went into a 30 day program. Williams is an alcoholic by definition. Period. End of story. Stop trying to minimize it.

If you are in a zero tolerance state and still do it, you have no self control. That makes you an alcoholic.
And I almost went to jail because of an alcoholic girlfriend. Cops on the scene. Lucky to have avoided jail. So I have some first-hand relevant experience.

And you're maximizing it. Stupidity does not equal or exclude alcoholism. Maybe he is, maybe not. Neither of us know, and what is the point in assuming the worst with so little evidence?

For starters: what was his BAC in the 2 arrests?

And I almost went to jail because of an alcoholic girlfriend. Cops on the scene. Lucky to have avoided jail. So I have some first-hand relevant experience.

And you're maximizing it. Stupidity does not equal or exclude alcoholism. Maybe he is, maybe not. Neither of us know, and what is the point in assuming the worst with so little evidence?
If he had more than these two public displays of inebriation, would it change your mind? How many does it take? Sounds like we've both lived the life as the significant other to an alcoholic. I will stand on what I said earlier. A 19 year old with a suspended license and under probation, and with a one strike and your out policy with your head coach, gets drunk and re-arrested, that is alcoholism plain and simple. That is the very definition of alcoholism El Jefe.

If he had more than these two public displays of inebriation, would it change your mind? How many does it take? Sounds like we've both lived the life as the significant other to an alcoholic. I will stand on what I said earlier. A 19 year old with a suspended license and under probation, and with a one strike and your out policy with your head coach, gets drunk and re-arrested, that is alcoholism plain and simple. That is the very definition of alcolholism El Jefe.
That is 100% not the definition of alcoholism.

Alcoholism is when you cannot control those bad decisions.

When you can control those bad decisions and make them anyway, that is not alcoholism. That is a choice. A choice of stupidity. Calling it alcoholism is excuse-making.

Again: neither of us know which it was.

When you can control those bad decisions and make them anyway, that is not alcoholism. That is a choice. A choice of stupidity. Calling it alcoholism is excuse-making.

I agree. I don't consider myself an alcoholic but I got away with driving drunk many times... even after warnings! Had I been cited I probably wouldn't have continued to drink and drive. Today is a totally different era vs the 70s and 80s. Today, which I am thankful for, there are so many alternatives to driving and I am thankful my kids are in the habit of doing so!

I won't wade into the alcoholism discussion, but I will say DUI is still minimized by far too many in our society. Fortunately, I have never been a drinker, but as a retired officer I unfortunately saw some of the horrific effects of driving under the influence. As a side note, driving under the influence of marijuana and prescription meds is also a huge problem. It is just much harder for the average officer to articulate impairment unless the person is very high. A few years ago two SDPD officers, a husband and wife, were killed by a wrong way driver going 90 mph on the freeway who had Diazepam in her system.

I was working one night when an officer I worked with got on the air screaming that he and his partner had just been hit by a vehicle while outside their vehicle on a traffic stop. It was gut wrenching to hear the officer say his partner's leg had been severed. The driver was a doctor who was extremely DUI. Another officer I worked with suffered severe leg injuries while on duty after being in a vehicle collision with a drunk driver.

Sorry about dwelling so much on the DUI portion of this story. I guess it unleashed some unpleasant memories.

That is EXACTLY the definition of alcoholism. Look it up sir.

I agree. I don't consider myself an alcoholic but I got away with driving drunk many times... even after warnings! Had I been cited I probably wouldn't have continued to drink and drive. Today is a totally different era vs the 70s and 80s. Today, which I am thankful for, there are so many alternatives to driving and I am thankful my kids are in the habit of doing so!
You're getting into a fuzzy area where it's difficult to distinguish between the practical vs theoretical. Count me as a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the mental health sciences because, for a lot of conditions, there are no physical tests to determine if someone has a specific disorder. A diagnosis is based upon observation of their behavior which can be very subjective.

Now if I am wrong here, feel free to correct me, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no definitive laboratory test that determines whether or not you are a true alcoholic. There may be genetic markers that indicate you may have a tendency towards alcoholism, but it's not like cancer or some other disorders where a lab can take a blood draw and tell you for certain that you have a specific disease.

The attitude I've taken is that if alcohol causes you problems, then start making the same choices that you would recommend to someone who is an alcoholic. At least that's how I decided to handle it.

BTW - this is a wrestling forum. How did we get sidetracked to this topic? There are a lot of rabid Iowa fans out there like Ironbird, Vodka and Turk who need to be rehabilitated from their addiction to an underperforming program. Let's not lose track of our sacred mission.

Reactions: a_mshaffer
If he had more than these two public displays of inebriation, would it change your mind? How many does it take? Sounds like we've both lived the life as the significant other to an alcoholic. I will stand on what I said earlier. A 19 year old with a suspended license and under probation, and with a one strike and your out policy with your head coach, gets drunk and re-arrested, that is alcoholism plain and simple. That is the very definition of alcoholism El Jefe.
I wsa pulled over more than once while being drunk and got let go each time. I was lightweight and could not handle my alcohol. I have not had a drink for 30 some years and I do not miss it at all. It took no effort at all to quit, I just decided to stop. I do not think I would have ever been considered an alcoholic, but then again - the cops were not being used a fund raisers for the city.
He may be an alcoholic or he may just have poor judgement. He may get caught up in the excitement. He may not have thought he was drunk. He may have a anger issue. There are a lot of possibilities and you are coming off as a bit high and mighty to assume he is an alcoholic from the info we have. Kids are foolish and do foolish things. Hopefully, they learn from them.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
You're being extremely silly and narrow minded. You can get in trouble more than once and not be a criminal. You can party alot and not be an alcoholic. Bad decisions and lack of self control don't make you an alcoholic, it makes you human!

Last edited:
Similar story: roaring drunk in State College in the late 60’s. I had a 62 Pontiac with my girlfriend in the front and another couple in the back. We were headed out Fox Hollow road (which back then was “out in the country”) to park for nefarious purposes. BANG, I got pulled over by a local cop for speeding. As he was reading me the riot act, another car pulled up. It was someone (I never found out who) on the football team. He informed the cop that it was some other car that was speeding. He claimed to have observed it all while sitting up the roadside with his honey. Long story short, the cop let me skate. For me, it was reason #22 to be a Penn State Football fan. This was a long time ago and I must admit to some fogginess about the whole evenin, but, this is how I remember it. I also fastidiously avoided booze and driving for the rest of my adult years.

Reactions: Nitlion1986

so everyone who has ate 2 plates of penne vodka does or doesn’t get kicked off their sports teams?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT