ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Don’t be naive. He had money coming from NLWC, endorsements, parent recently moved to Pa, wife expanding business, succesful M2training center, his farm. He was settling in for the long haul. He was set.

Throw a million a year at him..he uprooted all of that. Again, don’t blame him and don’t blame OSU. They knew they had to overpay for him and they did. All about the money

Will he grow to love it in OSU? Yet to be seen.
I think you're overlooking the obvious. If DT had it in mind to someday take the reins for a major D1 program, where would he go? Cael isn't going anywhere anytime in the near future, Iowa seems to be set on TnT in spite of the discouraging results, and all of the other programs that placed in the top 5 last year have pretty solid commitments to their current coaching staff. Which meant that if DT didn't jump on an offer from Ok State, he would have to wait an indeterminate number or years before another major position was available. Regardless of how well he was set in SC, if his ultimate goal was to be a major D1 coach, he was going to look for ways to make the opportunity a reality.

And on the other hand, Ok State knew that Smith was getting towards the end. They saw a chance to land a new, young coach with a lot of upside potential. So they offered the big bucks to make sure the deal would go through. It's a lot like finding your dream house and overbidding on the price just to make sure you're the one who closes the deal. It sounds a lot like a win-win situation to me.

I think you're overlooking the obvious. If DT had it in mind to someday take the reins for a major D1 program, where would he go? Cael isn't going anywhere anytime in the near future, Iowa seems to be set on TnT in spite of the discouraging results, and all of the other programs that placed in the top 5 last year have pretty solid commitments to their current coaching staff. Which meant that if DT didn't jump on an offer from Ok State, he would have to wait an indeterminate number or years before another major position was available. Regardless of how well he was set in SC, if his ultimate goal was to be a major D1 coach, he was going to look for ways to make the opportunity a reality.

And on the other hand, Ok State knew that Smith was getting towards the end. They saw a chance to land a new, young coach with a lot of upside potential. So they offered the big bucks to make sure the deal would go through. It's a lot like finding your dream house and overbidding on the price just to make sure you're the one who closes the deal. It sounds a lot like a win-win situation to me.
From Taylor's perspective taking the OkieSt job is about as blue blood as you can get. If his desire was to be a D1 coach and it wasn't going to be PSU then Oklahoma State is the place. It would be like not seeing a PSU football head coaching opportunity soon, but Alabama called.

Honestly good for David, he will do great there but Cael is a unicorn. Noone threatens him for parity.

That said it's far better that David is down on Oklahoma, than taking over for Ryan at tOSU. Granted a total hypothetical. That would have been a much more significant threat.

Don’t be naive. He had money coming from NLWC, endorsements, parent recently moved to Pa, wife expanding business, succesful M2training center, his farm. He was settling in for the long haul. He was set.

Throw a million a year at him..he uprooted all of that. Again, don’t blame him and don’t blame OSU. They knew they had to overpay for him and they did. All about the money

Will he grow to love it in OSU? Yet to be seen.

This is an idiotic statement. And if you knew anything about the things DT is saying to the team - his passion for winning is his greatest attribute.

He went for the challenge. And like I tried to tell the Iowa guys - there's literally 3 other jobs he leaves State College for (OSU, tOSU, Iowa)

This is an idiotic statement. And if you knew anything about the things DT is saying to the team - his passion for winning is his greatest attribute.

He went for the challenge. And like I tried to tell the Iowa guys - there's literally 3 other jobs he leaves State College for (OSU, tOSU, Iowa)
Sorry vhs, but David left Happy Valley for the money. Does he leave NLWC and his adult roots for $300k? For $700k? For $1M? The answer is different between the three choices.

I'm sure he relishes the challenge, but challenge doesn't pay the bills or offset what he was giving up.

Sorry vhs, but David left Happy Valley for the money. Does he leave NLWC and his adult roots for $300k? For $700k? For $1M? The answer is different between the three choices.

I'm sure he relishes the challenge, but challenge doesn't pay the bills or offset what he was giving up.

of course the money helped. Of course it was a big deal. But acting like it was the ONLY reason is ridiculous.

When you say someone left for the money you're saying that it's the sole reason. That's unequivocally false.

Anyway, y'all carry on.

I think you guys are splitting hairs. The ONLY reason DT uprooted his family was because of the financial offer. That alone got him on the plane to Stillwater. Full Stop. Is it a great career move? Absolutely. Is it with a blue blood program with great upside? Absolutely. Is it a way for him to put his stamp on the sport for a couple decades? Absolutely. None of those ancillary benefits got him on the plane by themselves. The money did. Those other things helped grease the skids for the monetary offer.

Now, if the U of Podunk came calling with $1M annually, he probably doesn't take the job because of those other things not likely being possible. Both examples can be true at the same time. We have all read that OSU had to enrich their original offer to get DT on the plane, so it was about money in the end. So surprise there and good on DT for holding out for the best offer.

I think you guys are splitting hairs. The ONLY reason DT uprooted his family was because of the financial offer. That alone got him on the plane to Stillwater. Full Stop. Is it a great career move? Absolutely. Is it with a blue blood program with great upside? Absolutely. Is it a way for him to put his stamp on the sport for a couple decades? Absolutely. None of those ancillary benefits got him on the plane by themselves. The money did. Those other things helped grease the skids for the monetary offer.

Now, if the U of Podunk came calling with $1M annually, he probably doesn't take the job because of those other things not likely being possible. Both examples can be true at the same time. We have all read that OSU had to enrich their original offer to get DT on the plane, so it was about money in the end. So surprise there and good on DT for holding out for the best offer.
This is all you needed to say because it proves that money isn't the sole reason he left SC....

And the enrichment wasn't about the offer going in his pocket by the way.

Last edited:
I think that is well documented.. The enrichment was in the future of the Rtc's just like Cael did.
Taylor has the blue print, he has to follow it and expand on it.. Cael isn't going to keep doing the same things just because they are working now.

This is all you needed to say because it proves that money isn't the sole reason he left SC....

And the enrichment wasn't about the offer going in his pocket by the way.
DT said it himself in one of the videos posted here in a prior post. He left SC for Stillwater because he missed the rodeos! Wrestling and money had nothing to do with it. 😁

DT said it himself in one of the videos posted here in a prior post. He left SC for Stillwater because he missed the rodeos! Wrestling and money had nothing to do with it. 😁
That’s not what I said either. Never once did I say the money wasn’t a big part. Its just not the sole reason

Reactions: mhlarch
Certainly not the sole reason as I said, but it is splitting hairs to say money wasn't a very large part of the equation.
Never said that. No rational person thinks that. It’s just completely unfounded to say “he left for the money” which is what a few of yall have said now

What if I told you guys it can be both? That DT really wanted the challenge of coaching college while he is still young and wanted a program with potential to win (which almost never open as he said)

But he also realizes it's an extremely tough and stressful job compared to what he's doing now and wants to really be compensated for it, especially as he uproots his entire family.

What if I told you guys it can be both? That DT really wanted the challenge of coaching college while he is still young and wanted a program with potential to win (which almost never open as he said)

But he also realizes it's an extremely tough and stressful job compared to what he's doing now and wants to really be compensated for it, especially as he uproots his entire family.
Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
When you say someone left for the money you're saying that it's the sole reason. That's unequivocally false.

Anyway, y'all carry on.
I am going to disagree just a little.
I bought a new Toyota Tundra. The sales guy and I played the game for 45 minutes on what I wanted and what they were going to offer for a trade on my F-150 King Ranch. At the end of the 45 minutes we were 4,000 bucks apart and I got up and told him I really like that truck a lot but I have had a ford truck since 1997 and the Ford dealer has a really sharp Platinum on the lot. I was driving over to the Ford dealer when my phone rang and he told me I could have what I wanted for a trade. I turned around and went back and bought the Toyota. I like the truck a lot and there were many good selling points, but in the end money was the deciding factor.
There is no doubt there are a gazillion positives associated with the OkieSt job. I doubt he takes it at 300 thou, maybe at 700 thou, definitely at 1 mill. Money was not the sole reason, but it was the deciding factor.

Reminds me of the following yarn:

Winston Churchill on Who's a Prostitute​

Sir Winston Churchill supposedly asked Lady Astor whether she would sleep with him for five million pounds. She said she supposed she would. Then he asked whether she would sleep with him for only five pounds. She answered,"What do you think I am?" His response was, "We've already established that; we're merely haggling over price."

I was wondering, in a significant hire like David's, would it be typical for David to have an agent representing him?

No brainer… what’s the debate? I’m sure DT said I’ll do it for $1m. Exit stage right. Good for him and good for college wrestling. Actually, Aaron Brooks is what made DT available and vulnerable.

Reactions: Ski and Grass
...$1m check when he stepped down off the plane(signing bonus), $1m yearly OSU plus raise schedule and bonus money possibles...

What is going on in Stillwater?
I know you're having some fun at OSU's expense but it is sad to see a 19 year old have two DUI's in a year. Wrestling is the least of his issues at this point because we know he didn't get caught the only two times he's done it. I interviewed a 19 year old girl once who had five DUIs on her record, including just two weeks prior, but she insisted she was clean and hireable. Young alcoholics are the last to know how deep in the rabbit hole they are.

I know you're having some fun at OSU's expense but it is sad to see a 19 year old have two DUI's in a year. Wrestling is the least of his issues at this point because we know he didn't get caught the only two times he's done it. I interviewed a 19 year old girl once who had five DUIs on her record, including just two weeks prior, but she insisted she was clean and hireable. Young alcoholics are the last to know how deep in the rabbit hole they are.
40 plus years post 21 and I am still amazed my friends and I seemed to have survived with minimal scarring. Different times.

40 plus years post 21 and I am still amazed my friends and I seemed to have survived with minimal scarring. Different times.
You and I can still remember the days before MADD and the unlimited keg, open frat parties that spilled into the surrounding neighborhoods. I certainly don't want to go through that again. I prefer quality over quantity these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT