ADVERTISEMENT

Does Tom Brands make his wrestlers better?

I know most here don't visit HR, but an anonymous former wrestler of Tom Brands posted his experience wrestling for the Brands brothers about 15 years ago. Very enlightening and contrasting with Cael's style. It's post 380 in this thread:

Last edited:
I know most here don't visit HR, but an anonymous former wrestler of Tom Brands posted his experience wrestling for the Brands brothers about 10-15 years ago. Very enlightening and contrasting with Cael's style. It's post 380 in this thread:

That’s an amazing post. I’d love to know who it is.

With that fanbase’s passion, their ability to raise sport-specific funds, brand, etc, it would be all out war for recruits, etc if they changed the mentality of the program. As it stands, they’ll lose out on recruits who don’t believe solely in the “embrace the grind” approach. Cael will lose out on the Bo Jordan guys who love that approach and can’t open their eyes to the possibilities of another approach. It might have been different for Bojo if Cael had his now 15 year track record at the time Bo was a recruit (and people weren’t still in the “when Taylor and Ruth graduate, they’ll fall back” mode)

Wow - I read through some of the dialogue on that page and you can tell there are a lot of upset Hawk fans out there. That vodka guy is a real internet combatant.

I don't know how to put a specific post from another page into this forum, but if you go to Page 10 of the "How far beyond has Iowa fallen?" thread, you'll see a very articulate post by a guy named wahlberg where he describes his experience in wrestling under Brands. He emphasizes everything we've suspected is wrong with their program.

With that fanbase’s passion, their ability to raise sport-specific funds, brand, etc, it would be all out war for recruits, etc if they changed the mentality of the program. As it stands, they’ll lose out on recruits who don’t believe solely in the “embrace the grind” approach. Cael will lose out on the Bo Jordan guys who love that approach and can’t open their eyes to the possibilities of another approach. It might have been different for Bojo if Cael had his now 15 year track record at the time Bo was a recruit
Wow - see my post above. You posted yours right before mine!

PS - I made one post which is a FIFY for something that was already posted. I'm guessing it will get me banned for life!

PS - I made one post which is a FIFY for something that was already posted. I'm guessing it will get me banned for life!
c4742eec-5cd6-4567-8b70-ef200be374cf_text.gif

What’s very interesting is that you’ll get guys who believe any cockamamie “room story” - like Gavin Teasdale tearing everyone up; Grothus looking like a finalist, etc, but then summarily dismiss a very in-depth, detailed 1st person account from an ex wrestler that jibes with what you see outside the room

What’s very interesting is that you’ll get guys who believe any cockamamie “room story” - like Gavin Teasdale tearing everyone up; Grothus looking like a finalist, etc, but then summarily dismiss a very in-depth, detailed 1st person account from an ex wrestler that jibes with what you see outside the room
As you read his post from a first person account in the room, it details "how" the Brands wrestling philosophy effects the individual wrestler in very subtle ways. That's the part I found so very interesting. I stopped after each paragraph and thought about what he was saying and picturing it in my head. It made sense in somewhat of a counterintuitive way. It's not that Brands style doesn't work, but that it has small unintended consequences such as wearing out the wrestlers by the end of their careers and making practice more about survival of the fittest than actually becoming a better wrestler. I think we all intuitively suspected that Brands philosophy was having an effect on results but now we know from one first hand account how it happened at least for that poster.

One of the best wrestling posts I've ever read anywhere.

He gave us three clues:

1. Cael was still at ISU and tried to recruit him.
2. For a while, Gable was providing "consulting services" for the program and I think he even sat in the coaches corner during duals. He started wrestling after Gable dropped out of that mode.
3. He also said he did better than most and not as good as some.

So I'm guessing he was there in the 2006 - 2010 time frame and may have been an AA during that period. That doesn't pin down exactly who made the post, but I think it narrows the field a bit. I'll let the expert data miners on this message board take it from there.

Here it is in full for those not wanting to click onto the HR forum. Poster is Wahlberg:

I haven't watched the Austin & Spencer flo documentary yet, but that was certainly my experience. I grew up idolizing Iowa wrestling and the Gable way. I always wanted to go to Iowa. I was recruited by Cael and neglected to even visit because I was so sure I wanted to be a hawk. I was all about outworking everyone, being tougher than everyone, and the Iowa way. And Brands' system certainly was exactly that.

Having gone through Brands' program, I recognize many positives. In this program, you will become extremely positionally solid. Mental and physical toughness will be achieved through grueling practices and very frequent verbal reiteration from the coach(es). And clean living will be preached consistently. After a year in the room, you only have yourself to blame if you can't get off bottom or if you can't hold up to heavy hand-fighting or pressure.

However, I'm somewhat older and (I think) somewhat wiser now. I still think it is great to learn how to stay in great position, to practice clean living, and to build physical and mental toughness. However, it takes so much more than these attributes to be truly great and to really continue to elevate your game. These attributes can get guys on the podium. If guys were already phenomenal coming in, they can sometimes even get you to the top of the podium. There are even a few guys who really thrive in this environment.

But, I've come to believe this coaching/training system is critically flawed with regard to helping guys reach anything near their potential in the vast majority of cases. One reason is that the Iowa style and Brands' persona and the way he talks to the team (and to the media) combine to foster an environment where most guys feel they have to prove their mental and physical toughness in the practice room and in competition day-in and day-out above all else. The result then, is that the vast majority of guys (if not all) come in to practice each day focused more on out-toughing their partner than on mastering the sport by improving in positions/skills where they need to improve. So, they need to outlast their partner in each live go. They need to drill harder than their partner. They need to push their partner into the wall or off the mat when hand-fighting or live wrestling. They need to be completely exhausted at the end of each live go and at the end of the practice in order to feel like they accomplished anything.

But, if your aim is now to outlast your partner, you're no longer incentivized to wrestle a high-pace or take risks or be creative because you might open yourself up to expending too much energy too quickly when your partner is not making that 'mistake' and now they can take advantage and make you look 'weak' by pushing you around the mat or into the wall or off the mat. Instead, you're incentivized to conserve your energy because the practices are so long and grueling and full of hand-fighting and long live wrestling goes that (it at least seems like) the only way you'll be able to last the whole time without looking 'weak' in the way mentioned previously is by pacing yourself. You're still going to be exhausted at the end of practice either way by nature of the practice structure, but you'll at least have proved your toughness by being able to last the whole time and hopefully demonstrably more so than your partner did. Is this the best mindset to have if you want to efficiently and continuously improve in all positions and facets of wrestling?

Another reason I believe the Brands system is critically flawed is that the frequency and intensity of these types of grueling practices, coupled with this emphasis on proving your toughness, often results in wearing down guys' bodies (increased injury rate), especially after spending multiple years in the program. This is not to say I don't believe in hard work or toughness or pushing yourself to your limits in order to extend your limits. I most certainly do believe in such things. But, I also believe there's so much more to wrestling than these things.

Yet another reason for believing Brands' system to be critically flawed is that, when you constantly preach 'doing it right' and 'clean living' and 'you get what you earn', you set it up in athletes' minds that they pretty much have to be perfect in order to succeed. But perfect is an impossible standard and the athletes know they aren't meeting this standard. So, now they're going into their matches with this nagging feeling that they didn't do it quite right enough and they haven't been living quite clean enough and they haven't been quite earning what they want to get enough. The result is a lack of belief that they have earned the success they are trying to reach.

Additionally, many athletes with a coach or coaches who preach these things expect the coach or coaches to perfectly exemplify these things themselves. And, even though the Brands brothers and the other coaches do a decent job of exemplifying these things most of the time, the athletes are quick to take note when they don't live up to the incredibly high standards they set. For example, if a coach relaxes the standard for clean living with some athletes and not others due to some athletes being deemed too valuable to the team's success to properly hold them accountable for their actions, the rest of the athletes may take notice of that, which can result in feeling like the coach is a bit of a hypocrite the next time that coach starts preaching 'do it right' and 'live clean' and 'you get what you earn'. That's not a great recipe for building trust.

There are other reasons I have come to believe the Brands system is deeply flawed, but this post is already super long so I'll wrap it up with a few closing thoughts. For one thing, I've come to think the grueling practices can and should be had, but that this should be done with utmost moderation. Instead, the majority of practices should be structured to incentivize the type/style/pace of wrestling you want to see your athletes exemplify in competition. Instead of reciting in team speeches and media interviews that you want to see your wrestlers be more active and 'pull the trigger' more, how about actually facilitating this by structuring practices (and team talks and media interviews) in a way that builds in your athletes the confidence to do so rather than essentially structuring the program to achieve the opposite effect. Instead of feeling like you've got to push your team to work harder by structuring your practices and team talks and media interviews in this way, why not trust your athletes to be self-motivated to improve and then facilitate even more self-motivation in your athletes by constantly fostering in them a genuine love for the sport and confidence that they're growing/improving in the sport by focusing on helping them to achieve positional/technical mastery in as many positions as possible?

Also, after a skeptic chimed in, another poster left these additional observations:

=============================================================================
This is 1000% correct. I know former Iowa wrestlers and they all say the same thing as wahlberg, plus a LOT more.

Here are comments former wrestlers make:

1. TnT are extremely stubborn and do not listen to advice ... including Gable!

2. There is something deeply flawed in how the practices are run--guys fade over time in the program, guys get seriously injured over time (and the vast majority of injuries are not in meets), and Iowa wrestlers DO NOT shoot near enough (there's a lack of offense).

3. They are sad to see Iowa fall farther and farther behind on TnT's watch.

and

4. Iowa is not getting wrestlers from the top clubs. It doesn't appear that Iowa values these clubs and are stuck in their ol'ways of recruiting.

However, all of these folks I've talked to are in disagreement about what to do--coaching-wise. Some say we are stuck with TnT as there really isn't anyone to replace them. Or, and I hear this a lot, throw tons of $$ at Askren.

So, there ya go.

Here it is in full for those not wanting to click onto the HR forum. Poster is Wahlberg:

I haven't watched the Austin & Spencer flo documentary yet, but that was certainly my experience. I grew up idolizing Iowa wrestling and the Gable way. I always wanted to go to Iowa. I was recruited by Cael and neglected to even visit because I was so sure I wanted to be a hawk. I was all about outworking everyone, being tougher than everyone, and the Iowa way. And Brands' system certainly was exactly that.

Having gone through Brands' program, I recognize many positives. In this program, you will become extremely positionally solid. Mental and physical toughness will be achieved through grueling practices and very frequent verbal reiteration from the coach(es). And clean living will be preached consistently. After a year in the room, you only have yourself to blame if you can't get off bottom or if you can't hold up to heavy hand-fighting or pressure.

However, I'm somewhat older and (I think) somewhat wiser now. I still think it is great to learn how to stay in great position, to practice clean living, and to build physical and mental toughness. However, it takes so much more than these attributes to be truly great and to really continue to elevate your game. These attributes can get guys on the podium. If guys were already phenomenal coming in, they can sometimes even get you to the top of the podium. There are even a few guys who really thrive in this environment.

But, I've come to believe this coaching/training system is critically flawed with regard to helping guys reach anything near their potential in the vast majority of cases. One reason is that the Iowa style and Brands' persona and the way he talks to the team (and to the media) combine to foster an environment where most guys feel they have to prove their mental and physical toughness in the practice room and in competition day-in and day-out above all else. The result then, is that the vast majority of guys (if not all) come in to practice each day focused more on out-toughing their partner than on mastering the sport by improving in positions/skills where they need to improve. So, they need to outlast their partner in each live go. They need to drill harder than their partner. They need to push their partner into the wall or off the mat when hand-fighting or live wrestling. They need to be completely exhausted at the end of each live go and at the end of the practice in order to feel like they accomplished anything.

But, if your aim is now to outlast your partner, you're no longer incentivized to wrestle a high-pace or take risks or be creative because you might open yourself up to expending too much energy too quickly when your partner is not making that 'mistake' and now they can take advantage and make you look 'weak' by pushing you around the mat or into the wall or off the mat. Instead, you're incentivized to conserve your energy because the practices are so long and grueling and full of hand-fighting and long live wrestling goes that (it at least seems like) the only way you'll be able to last the whole time without looking 'weak' in the way mentioned previously is by pacing yourself. You're still going to be exhausted at the end of practice either way by nature of the practice structure, but you'll at least have proved your toughness by being able to last the whole time and hopefully demonstrably more so than your partner did. Is this the best mindset to have if you want to efficiently and continuously improve in all positions and facets of wrestling?

Another reason I believe the Brands system is critically flawed is that the frequency and intensity of these types of grueling practices, coupled with this emphasis on proving your toughness, often results in wearing down guys' bodies (increased injury rate), especially after spending multiple years in the program. This is not to say I don't believe in hard work or toughness or pushing yourself to your limits in order to extend your limits. I most certainly do believe in such things. But, I also believe there's so much more to wrestling than these things.

Yet another reason for believing Brands' system to be critically flawed is that, when you constantly preach 'doing it right' and 'clean living' and 'you get what you earn', you set it up in athletes' minds that they pretty much have to be perfect in order to succeed. But perfect is an impossible standard and the athletes know they aren't meeting this standard. So, now they're going into their matches with this nagging feeling that they didn't do it quite right enough and they haven't been living quite clean enough and they haven't been quite earning what they want to get enough. The result is a lack of belief that they have earned the success they are trying to reach.

Additionally, many athletes with a coach or coaches who preach these things expect the coach or coaches to perfectly exemplify these things themselves. And, even though the Brands brothers and the other coaches do a decent job of exemplifying these things most of the time, the athletes are quick to take note when they don't live up to the incredibly high standards they set. For example, if a coach relaxes the standard for clean living with some athletes and not others due to some athletes being deemed too valuable to the team's success to properly hold them accountable for their actions, the rest of the athletes may take notice of that, which can result in feeling like the coach is a bit of a hypocrite the next time that coach starts preaching 'do it right' and 'live clean' and 'you get what you earn'. That's not a great recipe for building trust.

There are other reasons I have come to believe the Brands system is deeply flawed, but this post is already super long so I'll wrap it up with a few closing thoughts. For one thing, I've come to think the grueling practices can and should be had, but that this should be done with utmost moderation. Instead, the majority of practices should be structured to incentivize the type/style/pace of wrestling you want to see your athletes exemplify in competition. Instead of reciting in team speeches and media interviews that you want to see your wrestlers be more active and 'pull the trigger' more, how about actually facilitating this by structuring practices (and team talks and media interviews) in a way that builds in your athletes the confidence to do so rather than essentially structuring the program to achieve the opposite effect. Instead of feeling like you've got to push your team to work harder by structuring your practices and team talks and media interviews in this way, why not trust your athletes to be self-motivated to improve and then facilitate even more self-motivation in your athletes by constantly fostering in them a genuine love for the sport and confidence that they're growing/improving in the sport by focusing on helping them to achieve positional/technical mastery in as many positions as possible?
I could not argue with a single thing he said. He basically lays everything out and he still is argued with. Beau's dad touched on this when we talked on a break and Nagao's one family member alluded to how it was a different kind of program and Aaron was a little confused by some things at first, I'm paraphrasing of course. He found that the guys didn't all hang out as much as Minnesota, they seemed to more or less be doing their own things out of the gym. Again, that's my translation of what I was told.

It's not that there isn't guidance, there's more freedom and plenty of help. Obviously the culture will have you working but it's different than other schools. I translate that to me as saying no one is beating these guys any time soon.

Also, after a skeptic chimed in, another poster left these additional observations:

=============================================================================
This is 1000% correct. I know former Iowa wrestlers and they all say the same thing as wahlberg, plus a LOT more.

Here are comments former wrestlers make:

1. TnT are extremely stubborn and do not listen to advice ... including Gable!

2. There is something deeply flawed in how the practices are run--guys fade over time in the program, guys get seriously injured over time (and the vast majority of injuries are not in meets), and Iowa wrestlers DO NOT shoot near enough (there's a lack of offense).

3. They are sad to see Iowa fall farther and farther behind on TnT's watch.

and

4. Iowa is not getting wrestlers from the top clubs. It doesn't appear that Iowa values these clubs and are stuck in their ol'ways of recruiting.

However, all of these folks I've talked to are in disagreement about what to do--coaching-wise. Some say we are stuck with TnT as there really isn't anyone to replace them. Or, and I hear this a lot, throw tons of $$ at Askren.

So, there ya go.
IMO no one is catching PSU any time soon. Sanderson might be the best coach ever in what he's done at PSU and I do not mean best wrestling coach ever. He has changed things in the sport and everyone is behind as of now.

IMO no one is catching PSU any time soon. Sanderson might be the best coach ever in what he's done at PSU and I do not mean best wrestling coach ever. He has changed things in the sport and everyone is behind as of now.
Did you see my FIFY to your post on the Hawk forum? 😁

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues
This isn't true unless Sebolt isn't a top club.

Seriously, Brands recruited Young Guns pretty hard, back before they got lapped by M2. It's far more likely that Brands recruited that club than several high schools.

Stuck in their ol' ways? What other head coach would delegate initial contact of national top 5 recruits to Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa.

Brands biggest problem: He hasn’t left Iowa City to recruit since he traveled to Pennsylvania to save Michael Kemerer in 2014.

I recently watched this ESPN The Season 7-part documentary about Iowa Wrestling from the 2001-02 season, back when Tom was an assistant under Zelensky. I thought it was a very good documentary about the team and culture and a really interesting look at the season. I recall watching and wondering how much things have changed with the coaching styles. After reading these insider comments, sounds like not much at all has changed.

Edit: there’s a nice clip of Cael hammering his Iowa opponent in the Iowa-Iowa State dual.

Last edited:
I recently watched this ESPN The Season 7-part documentary about Iowa Wrestling from the 2001-02 season, back when Tom was an assistant under Zelensky. I thought it was a very good documentary about the team and culture and a really interesting look at the season. I recall watching and wondering how much things have changed with the coaching styles. After reading these insider comments, sounds like not much at all has changed.

Edit: there’s a nice clip of Cael hammering his Iowa opponent in the Iowa-Iowa State dual.

Wow, that's depressing to watch (only saw part 1 so far). It's hard to imagine any wrestlers coming up through the Gable/Brands system achieving their maximum potential in the sport. And any of those wrestlers who go on to be coaches are likely to perpetuate the errors at other programs unless they have some huge paradigm shift after leaving Iowa.

Cael revolutionized coaching the way Dick Fosbury revolutionized the high jump. It's like Brands and the other Gable disciples coaching now are stuck doing the antiquated pre-Fosbury high jump. I guess that's good news for Cael. He's likely to not have much real competition until some of his own pupils become head coaches at other D1 schools.

They do but so do quite a few other coaches...probably the majority of them do. Right now though, there's only one coach that is special. That's Cael...

Wow - I read through some of the dialogue on that page and you can tell there are a lot of upset Hawk fans out there. That vodka guy is a real internet combatant.

I don't know how to put a specific post from another page into this forum, but if you go to Page 10 of the "How far beyond has Iowa fallen?" thread, you'll see a very articulate post by a guy named wahlberg where he describes his experience in wrestling under Brands. He emphasizes everything we've suspected is wrong with their program.
I got into deep discussions about the Brands style compared to Caels with them over 10 years ago. I'm sure Turk, MADDEN AND JS remember. I was laughed off their board. Not sure what they thought was funnier, me telling them Caels philosophy would win out, or me telling them back then that Caels next phase (after making PSU the premier college program) would be turning the NLWC into the country's best. Again...they laughed. :)

Last edited:
Wow, that's depressing to watch (only saw part 1 so far). It's hard to imagine any wrestlers coming up through the Gable/Brands system achieving their maximum potential in the sport. And any of those wrestlers who go on to be coaches are likely to perpetuate the errors at other programs unless they have some huge paradigm shift after leaving Iowa.

Cael revolutionized coaching the way Dick Fosbury revolutionized the high jump. It's like Brands and the other Gable disciples coaching now are stuck doing the antiquated pre-Fosbury high jump. I guess that's good news for Cael. He's likely to not have much real competition until some of his own pupils become head coaches at other D1 schools.

Part 1 was all I saw and I have to agree - depressing.

He gave us three clues:

1. Cael was still at ISU and tried to recruit him.
2. For a while, Gable was providing "consulting services" for the program and I think he even sat in the coaches corner during duals. He started wrestling after Gable dropped out of that mode.
3. He also said he did better than most and not as good as some.

So I'm guessing he was there in the 2006 - 2010 time frame and may have been an AA during that period. That doesn't pin down exactly who made the post, but I think it narrows the field a bit. I'll let the expert data miners on this message board take it from there.
My guess: Josh Dziewa. I didn’t see where he said Cael was still at ISU. Remember reading somewhere that Cael recruited him but he was already set on Iowa. Plus, being from Pa, may carry the outsiders view more than others in the program.

Lol. Naw but I did talk to them all years and years ago about much of what that guy described in his post. They couldn't get the idea that the new generation of athletes don't embrace the same things us old timers did back in the day.
And you were one of the first guys to say that sixth-year seniors are probably burnouts. 👍 Do you have a current observation that not too many people are saying yet?

My guess: Josh Dziewa. I didn’t see where he said Cael was still at ISU. Remember reading somewhere that Cael recruited him but he was already set on Iowa. Plus, being from Pa, may carry the outsiders view more than others in the program.
Timeline checks out -- Dziewa was HS Class of 2010. Cael was still at ISU when Dziewa committed to Iowa.

However, Dziewa first committed to Rutger and then flipped to Iowa after his JR year (IIRC it was during his SR fall). So not so sure about him being so set on Iowa that he wouldn't have bothered with Cael.

Timeline checks out -- Dziewa was HS Class of 2010. Cael was still at ISU when Dziewa committed to Iowa.

However, Dziewa first committed to Rutger and then flipped to Iowa after his JR year (IIRC it was during his SR fall). So not so sure about him being so set on Iowa that he wouldn't have bothered with Cael.
Whoever wrote that post is very articulate and intelligent. I don’t know if that point provides an additional clue unless we know a lot about the literary skills of the Iowa wrestlers. Kemmerer could fit that description, but I don’t believe he’s in the right timeframe.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
To reiterate: I don’t believe anywhere in that post did it say that Cael was still at Iowa State (for those trying to pin down a time frame).

Reactions: Dogwelder
And you were one of the first guys to say that sixth-year seniors are probably burnouts. 👍 Do you have a current observation that not too many people are saying yet?
Lol. I'm always over thinking and analyzing sports...especially wrestling. I think the biggest reason I keep getting banned on HR is I always go to subjects people don't care to talk about. Burnout and HEW and broken bodies being one of them. Those guys killed me over that one especially when I told them it would be a big reason why the heavily favored Hawks would not win it all in 2022. Spencer Lee was another. Him not becoming a 4 timer wasn't a shock to me in the least. The health aspect was obvious, the not being able to fully train was a reason but I also told them there was at least one guy out there making Spencer his vision quest. The perfect storm for a Lee loss to me was obvious but I was an idiot to both fanbases for saying it. You might remember me telling those guys years ago how valuable Bonnie is and that she was a big reason why Penn State kids seemed to wrestle more relaxed and care free. That was an aspect of the team I've always found fascinating. To be honest, those were the types of things I used to talk about on HR... I didn't really even discuss actual matches and results with them. And those were the types of discussions that led to my fallout there and why I became so despised. It was only then that I just decided to become a troll when I visited there... lol

Something else I find funny with HR, I was banned for telling them things that I actually had inside knowledge on. Remember when their insider was telling the others that Teasdale was doing great and was with team at a match. One of them went as far to say they saw him on TV. I coerced that out of them when I simply asked why Teasdale was no longer showing on the roster...something none of them seemed to have caught. Little did they know, rumors in Western PA were already swirling about Gavin and on top of it, I literally saw him here in PA when their all knowing insider was saying he was at the match. There was,also Kem and my telling them he was having a hard time coming back for one last year. I got that info a really good source but HR guys told me i had no idea what i was talking about and im pretty sure that discussion eventually led to my being banned yet again. Not sure if I was still posting on HR when Willie confirmed to a T later on that Kem was indeed struggling with the "want" to come back..

I am friends with an Iowa wrestler from the same time period. I have talked to him a lot about this sentiment. They all feel the same way. They don’t hate the Brands, they respect them, they don’t feel that their style is valid, and they all seem to think the Brands ability to recruit has faded.

Penn State is and always will be my favorite team. The years hoping Kolat, Abe, McCoy and the Hughes brothers gave me hope we would soon be champions but that never happened until Cael. So clearly he’s special to all of us. But I think a good Iowa team makes college wrestling more exciting. And I think their fan base (not the loud minority on HR) deserves a good team.

Brands has lost the ability to recruit from the elite HS programs because the word is out that was highlighted in this post by a former wrestler. There is a reason St John, Gilman, Metcalf, Ramos have all been excommunicated from the Iowa community. They went against the “Brand”. No wrestlers outside Bubba Jenkins and maybe Nicky transfer disliked their experience under Cael. Most still praise the Penn State way. And when kids hear about this way, that’s where they want to be.

The most fitting text from my two Iowa friends this morning have been this sentiment going around the Iowa community… “ Iowa women’s sports are carrying the university”

I believe it could be JayBo or Grant Gambrell. I know there are many others possible, but these two guys would likely fit the bill.

I was kicked off of HR years ago for suggesting the Emperor's New Clothes perfectly equates to the Iowa wrestling staff. Everyone around Brands can see he is doing things wrong, but they assume it is just themselves who don't really see what they are seeing. Ben Askren has been talking about this for years. The mantra has been "you get what you earn" and the group think over there just marches in step with that nonsensical garbage. You may very well earn much of what you get, but very few get what they earn. It is like Ricky Bobby thinking if the ain't first you're last.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT