ADVERTISEMENT

Dr scott Lynch files lawsuit against PSU, Barbour, and Franklin

I am far from an insider, but reading between the lines, this appears to have been what has played out.

Joyner replaced Sebastianelli (hereafter Dr S) with Lynch for multiple reasons (my opinion) ranging from he originally wanted the job (see SI article) to Dr S being a Paterno guy. I know for a fact that players really respected/liked Dr S (I am friends with a former player who hurt his knee several years after graduation and went back to PA from out of state to have Dr S do his surgery).

Lynch may have been fine, but there were some fairly high profile "retirements due to injury" over the past few seasons. I'm not saying that was Lynch's fault, but it is possible that the players did not like/trust him as much as former players did Dr S.

If the football program wanted to make a change, that's their choice. I think Lynch was bitter that a "Paterno guy" was replacing him (recall, this goes back to beef with Joyner and Lynch is obviously "Joyner's guy") and decided to file a frivolous suit.

I'm sure Franklin inquires about the health of his players. Maybe they didn't communicate well and Lynch took his inquiries the wrong way. Or maybe Franklin is the exact opposite of who we think he is. One option seems more likely than the other.

Who performed the first foot surgery on Tommy Stevens?

Joyner is the gift that keeps on giving. According to this article, someone from the BOT stated the move to Lynch was for "cost savings". What a joke.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...otball-team-medical-care/stories/201305150207

fester_lightbulb.png

Reactions: BBrown
I said it to step because he posted it. Its an A-B comment. If window lickers want to know they can pick up a copy of a book, newspaper they find, read it, and then go talk to relevant people and develop friendships that are trustworthy and get to the point where they can ask questions.

Are you in the market to buy a house in the State College Centre County area?
when you mentioned the Dr., I wished to find a little history, so I went to the obituary first……..then the guest book.

Obituary

03581568_9112008.jpg
Alex Kalenak July 27, 1935 -September 9, 2008 Alex Kalenak lost his courageous four-year battle with cancer on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2008. Dr. Kalenak was a beloved teacher, physician, and friend through a long, distinguished career as an orthopedic surgeon in the Hershey area. Inspired by his immigrant parents, Alex Kalenak lived his life guided by love of learning, love of family, and by his strong faith. His signature gentle approach comforted and encouraged everyone he met. Giving unselfishly of himself, he engaged each patient as a whole person in an active healing relationship. As a teacher and mentor, Dr. Kalenak motivated young doctors, as well as seasoned colleagues, to achieve excellence with compassion. Dr. Kalenak was born on July 27, 1935, in Nanty-Glo, and graduated from Nanty-Glo High School in 1953. He attended Penn State University and graduated in 1957, majoring in pre-medicine. He then attended Hahneman Medical School in Philadelphia, graduating in 1961. He went on for a one year internship in medicine at Akron General Hospital and then served four years in the United States Navy as a Flight Surgeon. In 1973, Dr. Kalenak was hired as a professor at the Penn State University College of Medicine in Hershey, and as team orthopedic surgeon for Penn State athletics. His mission was to establish a sports medicine program at Penn State. He served Penn State and the community in this capacity until 1995. In 2005, Penn State established the Alexander Kalenak Professorship of Orthopedics endowment at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Dr. Kalenak was instrumental in establishing a palliative care unit at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, which provides care for terminally ill patients and their families. Dr. Kalenak is survived by his wife, Beth Richards Kalenak; three children, Alex Kalenak, of Pittsburgh, Audrey Lauri, of Manhasset, N.Y., and Mark Kalenak, of Washington, D.C.; a step-son, Zachary Richards, of Falls Church, Va.; and six grandchildren, Abby, Mary Kai, Maya, Cole, Matthew and Jake. Dr. Kalenak was one of 11 children of Anna and Michael Kalenak, of Nanty-Glo. Surviving him are his siblings, Helen Lanwehr, of Kearney, N.J., Daniel Kalenak, of Odessa, Texas, and his twin, Anna Doray, of Hershey, and many nieces and nephews. A private burial service will be held at the convenience of the family. A Memorial service will be held at the Hershey Evangelical Free Church on Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2008, at 11 a.m. Visitation will be from 9:30 a.m. till time of service. Donations (in lieu of flowers) in the name of Alexander Kalenak, can be made to the Penn State Palliative Care Center. Checks may be written to the Pennsylvania State University with a note designating Palliative Care Fund and mailed to The Office of University Development, 1600 Centerview Drive, P.O. Box 852, Hershey, PA 17033-0852 or call 717-531-6118. Hoover Funeral Home & Crematory, Inc. of Hershey is handling arrangements. Share condolences with the family at www.hooverfuneralhome.com.
03581568_2.jpg

Published in Centre Daily Times on Sept. 11, 2008

Print | View Guest Book |

Reactions: Fizz1
I certainly do not take the court filing narrative at face value - no one should.
But an intelligent, critical read certainly at least establishes a reasonable foundation that SOMETHING wasn't kosher with the whole situation.
Another wake-up call for the administration....how many more?
th

OH...WAIT...FOOTBALL PARKING IS THE PRIORITY THIS WEEK

24c094ee-8ef7-4999-8797-5306aee37d64.jpg

Penn State Fans, there is a new game day traffic pattern in place for the 2019 season. Please make sure to open your ticket books and check all of your materials. To access your lot, please #RunYourRoute and follow these directions:...……...

For more information, interactive maps and FAQs, please visit: GoPSUsports.com/gameday

You are receiving this message because you have engaged with Penn State Athletics.

You received this email at.......com -

Penn State Athletics · Bryce Jordan Center · University Park, PA 16802 · 1-800-NITTANY

Last edited:
I said it to step because he posted it. Its an A-B comment. If window lickers want to know they can pick up a copy of a book, newspaper they find, read it, and then go talk to relevant people and develop friendships that are trustworthy and get to the point where they can ask questions.

Are you in the market to buy a house in the State College Centre County area?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Am I in the market to buy a house in State College? Just too cryptic for me, I guess. I'll be a little more straight forward than to which you may be accustomed. No.

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me.....what's the finale to the law suit?
Like Bob Weir says, Look out, here comes some free advice. Case was filed in Dauphin County, not Philadelphia. -Big advantage for the Defendants. Philadelphia is a terrible venue for the defense, can’t even imagine why Dr. Lynch did not file in Philly. Cases, even lousy ones, almost never get thrown out in Philly. -Each Defendant will/should have his/her own attorney, to avoid the conflict of interests screw-up that got the Sandusky case off to a disastrous start. Advantage, defense. -The defense attorneys will come after Dr. Lynch hard and fast for the names of athletes who were ‘pressured’ to return early, dates of treatment, etc. No names, no corroboration, no case. Summary judgment for the Defendants. -Some posters think Penn State will settle, to ‘move on’. Maybe, but I doubt James Franklin himself would settle, because his reputation and integrity are on the line. Bottom line in this scenario: the case ends with a whimper, not a bang.
If athletes publicly support Dr. Lynch’s claims that, as Mayor Rizzo famously said, is a horse of a different fire department...

Found these entries in the Guest book for Dr. Kalenack

September 15, 2008
Dear Beth,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Your friends at ClearWater
~
Jennifer Shuey,
State College, Pennsylvania

September 12, 2008
Please accept our deepest sympathies. We will miss Al very much and will keep you in our prayers as always.
~
Dave and Carolyn Joyner,
Hershey, Pennsylvania

September 11, 2008
May God comfort you and give you strength and peace as you deal with your suffering and sadness. Dr. Kalenak was a tremendous individual and true friend to the Hamilton Family. He will be missed by many. But, we will all have joy and gladness in our hearts when we think of the role he played in our lives.
~
Lance Hamilton,
Baghdad, Iraq

Dr. Alexander Kalenak performed 2 surgeries on me. In 1974, when I was a senior at Hershey High School, he operated on my right shoulder (Dave Joyner was an attending resident) after I injured it during tennis season. In 1978, when I was a senior at Penn State, he operated on my right knee when I tore the cartiladge when I slipped on some ice. Dr. Kalenak lived in the same Hershey neighborhood of Carol Acres and coincidentally was in Ritenour Health Center the day I hobbled in with my knee injury. He was a good man. I looked for him whenever I watched a Penn State football game.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Like Bob Weir says, Look out, here comes some free advice. Case was filed in Dauphin County, not Philadelphia. -Big advantage for the Defendants. Philadelphia is a terrible venue for the defense, can’t even imagine why Dr. Lynch did not file in Philly. Cases, even lousy ones, almost never get thrown out in Philly. -Each Defendant will/should have his/her own attorney, to avoid the conflict of interests screw-up that got the Sandusky case off to a disastrous start. Advantage, defense. -The defense attorneys will come after Dr. Lynch hard and fast for the names of athletes who were ‘pressured’ to return early, dates of treatment, etc. No names, no corroboration, no case. Summary judgment for the Defendants. -Some posters think Penn State will settle, to ‘move on’. Maybe, but I doubt James Franklin himself would settle, because his reputation and integrity are on the line. Bottom line in this scenario: the case ends with a whimper, not a bang.
If athletes publicly support Dr. Lynch’s claims that, as Mayor Rizzo famously said, is a horse of a different fire department...
Don't count out an athlete with an ax to grind and Shubin lurking in the background to take advantage. There's always money to be made where Penn State is involved

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/gal...nds_angrily_to_Sports_Illustrated_report.html

Remember this story? O'Brien and Joyner were trying to get rid of Seabass and presumably Seabass's friends went crying to Sports Illustrated accusing O'Brien and Joyner of malfeasance. Nothing came of it.

But maybe this is just par for the course. These are very high paid jobs, these are people with enormous egos and tons of resources. Maybe nobody ever gets fired from a job like this without considering legal action and/or complaining to the news media.

It's 'a whistleblower lawsuit, these are all about making money. Someone has lost a $600,000 job and wants more money to maintain whatever lifestyle he needs to maintain, and hurting Penn State and Penn State football was the best avenue to make money. But nothing will come of it.

It's like the Bob Shoop lawsuit, it will be settled and no one will know the outcome. Franklin hasn't commented and won't because it's not his problem, it's in the hands of the lawyers.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/gal...nds_angrily_to_Sports_Illustrated_report.html

Remember this story? O'Brien and Joyner were trying to get rid of Seabass and presumably Seabass's friends went crying to Sports Illustrated accusing O'Brien and Joyner of malfeasance. Nothing came of it.

But maybe this is just par for the course. These are very high paid jobs, these are people with enormous egos and tons of resources. Maybe nobody ever gets fired from a job like this without considering legal action and/or complaining to the news media.

It's 'a whistleblower lawsuit, these are all about making money. Someone has lost a $600,000 job and wants more money to maintain whatever lifestyle he needs to maintain, and hurting Penn State and Penn State football was the best avenue to make money. But nothing will come of it.

It's like the Bob Shoop lawsuit, it will be settled and no one will know the outcome. Franklin hasn't commented and won't because it's not his problem, it's in the hands of the lawyers.
I never thought MM would win his lawsuit. Yet....

You don't think this is Franklin's problem? I'm reasonably sure he'd beg to differ.

Well, aside from the fact that no one lost their livelihood, or their income (only the plaintiff's responsibilities change)….. then, yep, you nailed it :rolleyes:

Does anyone even try to read the shit they comment about? Before commenting?

You keep talking about why everyone should read it and which pages they should read but you haven't actually said anything about any specifics at all.
So go ahead, talk specifics. I am confused why you don't.

You keep talking about why everyone should read it and which pages they should read but you haven't actually said anything about any specifics at all.
So go ahead, talk specifics. I am confused why you don't.
Well for one thing, if you read it you would know that it wasn't a matter of "his contract wasn't renewed" (as some have suggested), but rather that he was flat out replaced with at least a few more years remaining on the original agreement. The excuse put forth by PSU was that it was vastly better to have a doctor from State College versus Hershey, in spite of the fact that they had put the arrangement in place just 5 years earlier. Secondly, since when is every single piece of information contained in any initial court filing, either civil or criminal? There is an email attached where the Doctor references a conversation around specific incidents of Franklin's actions, and his superior, Kevin Black, will be deposed to testify to the substance of that conversation. It's entirely possible that there is additional corroborating evidence which would be uncovered during discovery and/or trial, so being 100% dismissive, largely because Shane Simmons' mom is spouting off about having had a different experience in their case, is really silly. When these types of things pop up on this boards I always say "What would these same PSU fans be saying if the matter involved Ohio State or Michigan?", because the acolytes never disappoint!

I have no idea what you're talking about. Am I in the market to buy a house in State College? Just too cryptic for me, I guess. I'll be a little more straight forward than to which you may be accustomed. No.

Umm that stinks. you would be surprised what real estate agents know... it was meant to be a little cryptic.

You asked about why i posted something. I explained why and it specific to step. Thats all

Well for one thing, if you read it you would know that it wasn't a matter of "his contract wasn't renewed" (as some have suggested), but rather that he was flat out replaced with at least a few more years remaining on the original agreement. The excuse put forth by PSU was that it was vastly better to have a doctor from State College versus Hershey, in spite of the fact that they had put the arrangement in place just 5 years earlier. Secondly, since when is every single piece of information contained in any initial court filing, either civil or criminal? There is an email attached where the Doctor references a conversation around specific incidents of Franklin's actions, and his superior, Kevin Black, will be deposed to testify to the substance of that conversation. It's entirely possible that there is additional corroborating evidence which would be uncovered during discovery and/or trial, so being 100% dismissive, largely because Shane Simmons' mom is spouting off about having had a different experience in their case, is really silly. When these types of things pop up on this boards I always say "What would these same PSU fans be saying if the matter involved Ohio State or Michigan?", because the acolytes never disappoint!

Spouting off? Kind of a dick way to put it. Her son has dealt with significant injury issues and she says Franklin never pressured anyone she knows to get him back on the field early. You may disagree but, that is pertinent.

The $50,000 number is just to keep the case out of Arbitration (small claims Court). It means nothing, really. Curious that the Complaint does not name the athletes allegedly involved....
I am guessing there are perfectly good HIPPA reasons not to name the players.

Spouting off? Kind of a dick way to put it. Her son has dealt with significant injury issues and she says Franklin never pressured anyone she knows to get him back on the field early. You may disagree but, that is pertinent.
Yeah, "SPOUTING OFF". When she uses terms like "absurd" and "BS", she is telling us that every situation has been handled correctly, just like her son's. But she doesn't really know that to be factual, does she?

So were Jason Cabinda and Franklin's old QB at Vandy also "spouting" off? And yea nice "diss" on that as well. I see you are in mid season form.:rolleyes:

Yeah, "SPOUTING OFF". When she uses terms like "absurd" and "BS", she is telling us that every situation has been handled correctly, just like her son's. But she doesn't really know that to be factual, does she?

Her son is on the team and knows the players on the team. Do you not think it would be common knowledge if Franklin was rushing players back, specifically star players?
I played college football and there really wasn't much to be hidden in a locker room. People talked and everyone had an idea of what was going on.
I am sure she has a much better grasp on what is reality and factual than you do in this case.

A recap for those who haven’t read stormingnorm’s suggested sections of the lawsuit-

Lynch claims (paraphrasing)- repeated interference by Franklin with medical management and return to play decisions as well as creating a climate that obstructed full compliance with standards and rules to safeguard medical management of student athletes. He claims the stated need for a State College rather than Hershey based doc was just an excuse to get rid of him.

Lynch says he registered his complaints with Sandy Barbour, Mr Boland (PSU athletic integrity office), Charmelle Green (AAD in charge of sports medicine), and Dr. Black (his boss at Hershey Med Center).

They inserted a section of his personal recommendations for future medical policies for athletic departments.

- He wants a physician appointed totally independent of the athletic department that does all hiring/ firing of trainers, medical staff and other docs as well as investigating complaints of medical interference by coaches.

- The athletic dept would have no say in the hiring or firing of any sports medicine staff.

-He wants coaches to be forbidden from entering training rooms and forbidden to discuss (‘positively or negatively’) injuries with players.

-Coaches should have ‘minimal contact’ with physicians (maybe a prearranged once a week or once a month meeting). A trainer would otherwise be used as a messenger between doc and coach.

-He recommends that no coach should ever call a physician to discuss medical issues. A doc may call a coach if they wish.

His recommendations give some more insight into his thinking about the situation. No specific cases were made known.

It would really help to hear the specific cases of the complaint as that’s really the crux of the matter and would put everything into better perspective.

He also said (and this is really the crux of the whole thing - the "whistleblower" suit):

Both Barbour and Charmel Green went to Black (the supervisor, for lack of a better term, down at PS Health) and demanded that Lynch be replaced due to his expressed concerns (paraphrasing, of course).
IF that be the case... and the filing is but one side of the story..... the case is pretty much a slam dunk for Lynch, as far as "winning" the case is concerned. What any remedies might be... such as financial payments or what not.... who knows..

He also included some correspondence that indicated (in his mind, based on his interpretation) that CJF/Barbour went "shopping" for Sebastianelli because Dr S would be more pliable wrt these issues (that was clearly HIS - Lynch's - interpretation.... at least as far as anything include in the filing. There was nothing in there that would definitively indicate, to a 3rd party observer, that that was the case).

All the crap that HAS been spewed about by the "sports fan" base.... like Lynch wanting his job back :confused:, players playing injured, etc etc etc is largely tabloid idiocy propagated by dickenkopfs.

In my shop, Lynch's behavior (complaining to Barbour, Green, and Boland; complaints and presentation of demands to Boland and Kristin Wright) would at the very least cause us to start thinking about a re-assignment or more drastic measures. Pretty clear that he couldn't work with Franklin and there was no point in prolonging a bad situation.

He also said (and this is really the crux of the whole thing - the "whistleblower" suit):

Both Barbour and Charmel Green went to Black (the supervisor, for lack of a better term, down at PS Health) and demanded that Lynch be replaced due to his expressed concerns (paraphrasing, of course).
IF that be the case... and the filing is but one side of the story..... the case is pretty much a slam dunk for Lynch, as far as "winning" the case is concerned. What any remedies might be... such as financial payments or what not.... who knows...

It’s hard for me to make any hard decision either way yet since we don’t know exactly what it is that Franklin did (allegedly) that started this whole mess.

It’s easy for a lawyer to take 1 side of an issue and make it look like the most outrageous offense has occurred.....only to later get both sides of the story and roll your eyes at the original complaint. ;)

As far as his removal obviously Barbour and Green (AAD for medical training issues) would be involved. The athletic department can certainly hire whoever they like. Because they use the Hershey Med group they called Dr. Black to request a change be made.

It really comes down to what actually happened. Was it a doc on a power trip making mountains out of mole hills disrupting the department or truly inappropriate interference by a coach detrimental to the student athletes? If it’s the first then no problem with Sandy and Green requesting a change. If it’s the second then it’s a slam dunk Lynch win.

As always with these cases regarding PSU the crucial info always seems to be missing.

Last edited:
In my shop, Lynch's behavior (complaining to Barbour, Green, and Boland; complaints and presentation of demands to Boland and Kristin Wright) would at the very least cause us to start thinking about a re-assignment or more drastic measures. Pretty clear that he couldn't work with Franklin and there was no point in prolonging a bad situation.

Sounds like he thought CJF was like a little child in his world - he should be seen but not heard.

It’s hard for me to make any hard decision either way yet since we don’t know exactly what it is that Franklin did (allegedly) that started this whole mess.

It’s easy for a lawyer to take 1 side of an issue and make it look like the most outrageous offense has occurred.....only to later get both sides of the story and roll your eyes at the original complaint. ;)

As far as his removal obviously Barbour and Green (AAD for medical training issues) would be involved. The athletic department can certainly hire whoever they like. Because they use the Hershey Med group they called Dr. Black to request a change be made.

It really comes down to what actually happened. Was it a doc on a power trip making mountains out of mole hills disrupting the department or truly inappropriate interference by a coach detrimental to the student athletes? If it’s the first then no problem with Sandy and Green requesting a change. If it’s the second then it’s a slam dunk Lynch win.

As always with theses regarding PSU the crucial info always seems to be missing.

I'm somewhat inclined to believe that this is a WYSIWYG situation, that it's a case of Franklin being on Lynch's back, in his face a lot more than Lynch thought he should be.

There is one piece of information I'd like to see, though. Before Lynch went on his crusade, did Franklin ever request that he be removed?

A recap for those who haven’t read stormingnorm’s suggested sections of the lawsuit-

Lynch claims (paraphrasing)- repeated interference by Franklin with medical management and return to play decisions as well as creating a climate that obstructed full compliance with standards and rules to safeguard medical management of student athletes. He claims the stated need for a State College rather than Hershey based doc was just an excuse to get rid of him.

Lynch says he registered his complaints with Sandy Barbour, Mr Boland (PSU athletic integrity office), Charmelle Green (AAD in charge of sports medicine), and Dr. Black (his boss at Hershey Med Center).

They inserted a section of his personal recommendations for future medical policies for athletic departments.

- He wants a physician appointed totally independent of the athletic department that does all hiring/ firing of trainers, medical staff and other docs as well as investigating complaints of medical interference by coaches.

- The athletic dept would have no say in the hiring or firing of any sports medicine staff.

-He wants coaches to be forbidden from entering training rooms and forbidden to discuss (‘positively or negatively’) injuries with players.

-Coaches should have ‘minimal contact’ with physicians (maybe a prearranged once a week or once a month meeting). A trainer would otherwise be used as a messenger between doc and coach.

-He recommends that no coach should ever call a physician to discuss medical issues. A doc may call a coach if they wish.

His recommendations give some more insight into his thinking about the situation. No specific cases were made known.

It would really help to hear the specific cases of the complaint as that’s really the crux of the matter and would put everything into better perspective.
Hmm, sensing a control issue here.

tumblr_mti6csBMEH1sihwaao1_500.gif

Dr. Alexander Kalenak performed 2 surgeries on me. In 1974, when I was a senior at Hershey High School, he operated on my right shoulder (Dave Joyner was an attending resident) after I injured it during tennis season. In 1978, when I was a senior at Penn State, he operated on my right knee when I tore the cartiladge when I slipped on some ice. Dr. Kalenak lived in the same Hershey neighborhood of Carol Acres and coincidentally was in Ritenour Health Center the day I hobbled in with my knee injury. He was a good man. I looked for him whenever I watched a Penn State football game.
Lower Dauphin Class of 1974, PSU 1978. Wasn't Carol Acres at the top of Waltonville Hill?

But every village needs an idiot...... and Penn State ICA’s village needs an Idiot Queen AND an Idiot Princess.

Well, it is an athletic department that has an AAD titled ‘Senior Woman Administrator’. Who comes up with these titles? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT