ADVERTISEMENT

Facundo #5 in Flo rankings

Actually followed the conference rules as did many others. Unfortunately the NCAA rules were more stringent. That was a Big 10 leadership failure. But I’m sure that accounted for all of his national titles so…..Cael is the bestest!
1) I guess if the conference was cheating, it doesn’t count.

2) even in the conference, Iowa was pushing it furthest AND benefiting the most (because Iowa in-state talent was at all-time highs at the time).

Why would you want that? Spencer is overrated. I heard 125 this year is the weakest weight in history.
125 has been weak not that lee can do anything about it but 125 over a 2-3 yr stretch is historically weak not to many elite guys can hold that weight for even 2 yrs. So if your calling a weight with 2maybe 3 really top wrestlers tuff so be it.

Reactions: danoftw
1) I guess if the conference was cheating, it doesn’t count.

2) even in the conference, Iowa was pushing it furthest AND benefiting the most (because Iowa in-state talent was at all-time highs at the time).

“In a conference call from Norman, Okla., Swank said the rule in question dealt with computing equivalency scholarships and factoring in higher out-of-state tuition.

The Big Ten adopted the rule in 1978, rejected repealing it in 1984 and finally repealed it in 1990. Swank said the NCAA raised concerns about the rule shortly after it was adopted but the Big 10 for some reason never passed that concern on to member schools. Swank and Big Ten Commissioner Richard Delaney declined to lay blame on any individual.”

125 has been weak not that lee can do anything about it but 125 over a 2-3 yr stretch is historically weak not to many elite guys can hold that weight for even 2 yrs. So if you’re calling a weight with 2maybe 3 really top wrestlers tuff so be it.
I was being facetious since others have tried to downplay Spencer’s success somewhat. I think he’s so much better than everyone else that it makes the weight look weak. Kind of like junior/senior year for Zain at 149 and Nolf at 157. They were so much better they made the competition look weak.

Reactions: hlstone
I love your confidence. If Penn St doesn’t win 9 in a row after Spencer are you disappointed?
I am rarely disappointed with much of anything. I have confidence they are capable of running the table after 125, but if they don't not a big deal. If the effort is there (which it will be) I will be sufficiently entertained.

A freaking wrestling match in central PA that will have 16,000 in attendance, against Iowa and instead of hoping for a Penn St upset against the crowned king of the sport I am hoping for and expecting an ass kicking of the former crowned king by the current crowned king. My wrestling fandom life is good. If my expectations are a bit overheated, oh well. If my expectations are met, cool. I get to talk shit to you and our other HR guests.

I was being facetious since others have tried to downplay Spencer’s success somewhat. I think he’s so much better than everyone else that it makes the weight look weak. Kind of like junior/senior year for Zain at 149 and Nolf at 157. They were so much better they made the competition look weak.
Just gonna say, Zain's Sophmore year was also exactly like this. Yes, I'm still mad he didn't win the Hodge that year. . .

Cael is the bestest!
Hard-core Iowa Hawkeye fan acknowledges what the world outside HR VILLAGE has known for a while, "Cael is the bestest".

Please no Grammer jokes, it was an emotional moment and his lips were quivering, eyes tearing and hands shaking as he consciously acknowledged the obvious.

I am rarely disappointed with much of anything. I have confidence they are capable of running the table after 125, but if they don't not a big deal. If the effort is there (which it will be) I will be sufficiently entertained.

A freaking wrestling match in central PA that will have 16,000 in attendance, against Iowa and instead of hoping for a Penn St upset against the crowned king of the sport I am hoping for and expecting an ass kicking of the former crowned king by the current crowned king. My wrestling fandom life is good. If my expectations are a bit overheated, oh well. If my expectations are met, cool. I get to talk shit to you and our other HR guests.
You got a good thing going then.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Hard-core Iowa Hawkeye fan acknowledges what the world outside HR VILLAGE has known for a while, "Cael is the bestest".

Please no Grammer jokes, it was an emotional moment and his lips were quivering, eyes tearing and hands shaking as he consciously acknowledged the obvious.
LOL! I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t admit that Cael is better at preparing his athletes and running a program than TnT or any other active coach. The proof is there based on the last 12 years. I’m not oblivious to facts. However, fans who don’t think that is enough and constantly have to make comments that TnT are horrible coaches doesn’t make sense to me. If they are horrible then John Smith, Tom Ryan, Sean Bormet, Pat Popolizio, etc….must be downright awful since TnT have had far more success than any of them.

LOL! I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t admit that Cael is better at preparing his athletes and running a program than TnT or any other active coach. The proof is there based on the last 12 years. I’m not oblivious to facts. However, fans who don’t think that is enough and constantly have to make comments that TnT are horrible coaches doesn’t make sense to me. If they are horrible then John Smith, Tom Ryan, Sean Bormet, Pat Popolizio, etc….must be downright awful since TnT have had far more success than any of them.
Do you grasp the meaning of the word hyperbole? Or hype?

Those fan comments like many are not to be taken seriously, it's obvious crap talking.

Reactions: Ski

“In a conference call from Norman, Okla., Swank said the rule in question dealt with computing equivalency scholarships and factoring in higher out-of-state tuition.

The Big Ten adopted the rule in 1978, rejected repealing it in 1984 and finally repealed it in 1990. Swank said the NCAA raised concerns about the rule shortly after it was adopted but the Big 10 for some reason never passed that concern on to member schools. Swank and Big Ten Commissioner Richard Delaney declined to lay blame on any individual.”

“Northwestern, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State didn't exceed scholarship restrictions and were not hit with penalties.”

“The powerhouse Iowa wrestling program reportedly was five scholarships over the limit during the period.”

Taking Caels name out of it, of the remaining coaches you’ve named, I’d take Pops if I were starting a new program.

Reactions: NCPsuFan

Those fan comments like many are not to be taken seriously, it's obvious crap talking.
You can try to brush it off as hyperbole. There are some on here who literally think TnT are the worst. If it was a once in a while occurrence then I would agree. I’ve read this board for awhile and their are more than a few that literally hate them.

• Sad
Reactions: hlstone
You can try to brush it off as hyperbole. There are some on here who literally think TnT are the worst. If it was a once in a while occurrence then I would agree. I’ve read this board for awhile and their are more than a few that literally hate them.
They are most definitely not the worst. Probably 2nd best. But also, IMO, not in a great position to improve relative to say, Ryan, Bormet, or even Pop. Much less Cael. Iowa certainly has the will and to some degree the resources--but I don't see those old dawgs learning very many new tricks.

I will say that @jmadden1998 has made a fun week even better and some of the digs are mostly in jest, but the best humor has some basis in fact even if it is exaggerated. I am pumped for tomorrow and win or lose it is going to be great viewing, especially with my Iowan spouse watching with me.

I am not one that hates anyone. Let alone Tom Brands. Tom was jogging to the visitors locker room at Rec Hall and a kid asked him for an autograph. Tom stopped in his tracks and signed for the kid. That was awesome in my book.

I am not one that hates anyone. Let alone Tom Brands. Tom was jogging to the visitors locker room at Rec Hall and a kid asked him for an autograph. Tom stopped in his tracks and signed for the kid. That was awesome in my book.
This isn’t directed at you at all. I get how the Brands aren’t for everyone. But their success can’t be denied. It just isn’t as great as Cael’s.

I will say that @jmadden1998 has made a fun week even better and some of the digs are mostly in jest, but the best humor has some basis in fact even if it is exaggerated. I am pumped for tomorrow and win or lose it is going to be great viewing, especially with my Iowan spouse watching with me.
My wife is born and bred in Nebraska. Hates everything about Iowa. But also hates wrestling. Don’t know if I will ever convert her

I like Tom Brands. I could do without Terry.

I know it is sacrilegious to say that I don't hate the way that Iowa wrestles. They are tough and physical and have a penchant for winning close matches. I will say that I do hate the Warner 6-20 second ride outs. Guys get to their feet and then it is a walk out to a restart. This is something that should be better addressed by officials. They are just too hesitant to call top stalling in every match. It seems like the only time is when you drop onto the legs for the count.

LOL! I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t admit that Cael is better at preparing his athletes and running a program than TnT or any other active coach. The proof is there based on the last 12 years. I’m not oblivious to facts.
Breaking response from HR stalwarts:
How Dare You Greta GIF

My wife is born and bred in Nebraska. Hates everything about Iowa. But also hates wrestling. Don’t know if I will ever convert her
She sounds like a sensible woman but the months of October to September must be quiet in your house 😁. Mrs Whizzer likes wrestling but for different reasons than I do (tight singlets, sweaty muscles, dudes younger than 45), wish Apple made a mute button on the remote that works on her.

She sounds like a sensible woman but the months of October to September must be quiet in your house 😁. Mrs Whizzer likes wrestling but for different reasons than I do (tight singlets, sweaty muscles, dudes younger than 45), wish Apple made a mute button on the remote that works on her.
This reminds me of the time I brought my sister to a dual at Rec. She was a good sport and seemed to appreciate PSU’s greatness. But after she watched Ant the Champ swag his way to the mat (and double-leg some guy to the moon no doubt), she really seemed to turn a corner on the sport and occasionally asks me about him to this day. 😂

“Northwestern, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State didn't exceed scholarship restrictions and were not hit with penalties.”

“The powerhouse Iowa wrestling program reportedly was five scholarships over the limit during the period.”
"the Big 10 for some reason never passed that concern on to member schools" lol. That is classic corporate-speak for: the biggest star in the sport, who is one of ours, got caught and we're gonna sweep it under the rug because we can.

Anybody think Delaney makes that same statement to protect Indiana or Purdue?

This reminds me of the time I brought my sister to a dual at Rec. She was a good sport and seemed to appreciate PSU’s greatness. But after she watched Ant the Champ swag his way to the mat (and double-leg some guy to the moon no doubt), she really seemed to turn a corner on the sport and occasionally asks me about him to this day. 😂
LemonPie is your sister?

not how it works.

answer this: do you think brands has a better chance of winning if he wrestles defensively and keeps it close late or recklessly attacking?

i swear some of you don't even watch wrestling
No, but I've seen enough of rip and roar jumping on chairs yelling he's stalling to then sit back in their while their spawn hangs back for 7 minutes trying to win a national championship in hand fighting. He's awful.

No, but I've seen enough of rip and roar jumping on chairs yelling he's stalling to then sit back in their while their spawn hangs back for 7 minutes trying to win a national championship in hand fighting. He's awful.
You should get on the mat with him.

which one is ironbird? i'd say @CJFisJoePaII . @nitlion6 is more of a gobblin or 23 so far
Good God man are you really this simple. There is absolutely no one, zero as ignorant as ironbyrd. He represents the worst of the lot over there. I'm hoping your just trying to be a *ick and truly do not believe your own *hit you are shoveling.

Reactions: ccdiver
Have you read CJFisJoePaII’s posts?
Yep. Still not as ignorant, but Bird set the bar pretty high. For the record Tom would be a great guy to have a beer with and talk about stuff besides wrestling. But I don't drink and don't think he does either. Safe travels IA folks. Good luck and hope all these guys come out of this healthy.

"the Big 10 for some reason never passed that concern on to member schools" lol. That is classic corporate-speak for: the biggest star in the sport, who is one of ours, got caught and we're gonna sweep it under the rug because we can.

Anybody think Delaney makes that same statement to protect Indiana or Purdue?
He couldn't bring himself to promote the Big10 champion over a defeated OSU team.

This isn’t directed at you at all. I get how the Brands aren’t for everyone. But their success can’t be denied. It just isn’t as great as Cael’s.
Yeah, there’s no doubt that Iowa is one of the elite programs and they are a big part of it. We laugh at them a lot because they are basically caricatures, but their success speaks for itself.

Yep. Still not as ignorant, but Bird set the bar pretty high. For the record Tom would be a great guy to have a beer with and talk about stuff besides wrestling. But I don't drink and don't think he does either. Safe travels IA folks. Good luck and hope all these guys come out of this healthy.
I would argue that bird set the bar low not high!

ADVERTISEMENT