ADVERTISEMENT

Facundo #5 in Flo rankings

Faster than anyone rolling in any other room in division 1. Beard, Joe Lee, Verkleeren, Berge, Nevills brothers, Gulibon, Alton brothers, Conaway and Rasheed all got to roll too but no national titles. Is Bartlett better than all of them? Maybe he is but I would want to see him beat someone at least in the top 10 before I thought that. But that’s just me.
These guys would be successes at Iowa.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Right. Should Bartlett come out firing off reckless shots against Woods? No. He should battle to stay off bottom and try to get the match to the third with a chance to win. But that’s fine because the diabolical Cael has a plan!

Just guessing here, but I bet we see more committed offensive attacks from Beau than we do from Nelson. Doesn't matter if we compare the entire match, the first 5 minutes or the first 3 minutes.
Beau is taking the mat with a plan believing he is going to win. Nelson is taking the mat with a plan hoping to have a shot at winning.

Faster than anyone rolling in any other room in division 1. Beard, Joe Lee, Verkleeren, Berge, Nevills brothers, Gulibon, Alton brothers, Conaway and Rasheed all got to roll too but no national titles. Is Bartlett better than all of them? Maybe he is but I would want to see him beat someone at least in the top 10 before I thought that. But that’s just me.
It surely will be Bartlett's first Real (see what I did there?) test at 141. I'm interested to see how it goes!

Well, perhaps more to Bordo’s point . . .

Individual Champions Since 2011:
PSU 32
Iowa 7

You are planning on watching Friday? If yes, damn you will get your wish.

I understand everybody likes their guy but who has Bartlett beat that gives him a “great chance” against Woods? His best wins are 4-1 over #13 Lachlan McNeil from North Carolina and 5-3 over #25 Cleveland Belton from Oregon St. He is 14-0 but not all undefeated records are created equal. He hasn’t faced anyone close to Woods ability. Woods has already beat #6 Brock Hardy 6-4 and dismantled #11 Frankie Tal-Shahar 17-2. As an Iowa fan I would be fairly shocked if Bartlett beat Woods. Hopefully I’m not shocked tomorrow night. 😃😃
Fair.

What has Woods done to justify being better than at least half the guys you list above (a list of implied so-so wrestlers)?

I can see not believing in Bartlett until you see it. A 3-2 win over a true freshman and a dismantling of Frankie Tal-Shahar have shown you all you need to see for Real being this unstoppable force? Brock Hardy is good but come on.

Fair.

What has Woods done to justify being better than at least half the guys you list above (a list of implied so-so wrestlers)?

I can see not believing in Bartlett until you see it. A 3-2 win over a true freshman and a dismantling of Frankie Tal-Shahar have shown you all you need to see for Real being this unstoppable force? Brock Hardy is good but come on.
I think it’s a fairly close match but Woods is just better. He has proven it this year against better competition than Bartlett has. Maybe I’m not giving Bartlett enough credit after his 10 losses last year at 149. We will see tomorrow night.

I think it’s a fairly close match but Woods is just better. He has proven it this year against better competition than Bartlett has. Maybe I’m not giving Bartlett enough credit after his 10 losses last year at 149. We will see tomorrow night.
I don't think the optimism about Bartlett is totally unfounded. Despite being in the program for 3 years, he's still largely unknown because he wasn't at the right weight and he hasn't wrestled anybody good at 141 yet.

I think takedown ratio is usually a good high level guage for the match. Even with the potential Spencer brings to the table to start things off, who wants to bet on the total takedowns battle? I don't think it will be close.

Again, fair. I agree 100%.

I just get this sense that, from the Iowa faithful, Woods has arrived. He might be a favorite, absolutely, but he's no sure thing and has never been. He's not that guy and the weight still feels wide open. To think that BB could win this match isn't absurd. But Real is getting close to Nick Lee treatment on the Iowa side.

I don't think the optimism about Bartlett is totally unfounded. Despite being in the program for 3 years, he's still largely unknown because he wasn't at the right weight and he hasn't wrestled anybody good at 141 yet.
I’m not trying to discredit him at all. If he beats Woods then he’s a NC contender for sure. Based on the eye test I just think Woods is better.

Reactions: js8793
Based on this premise all your guys should be undefeated since they get to roll with the best ever at each weight, outside 125 of course.
I mean, 9 AAs and 6 or 7 champions isn't completely out of the question this year with a couple upsets and a little luck.

1 takedown from spencer isn't really going to be much of a head start
Do you seriously think Spencer can ride Steen?
giphy.gif

Again, fair. I agree 100%.

I just get this sense that, from the Iowa faithful, Woods has arrived. He might be a favorite, absolutely, but he's no sure thing and has never been. He's not that guy and the weight still feels wide open. To think that BB could win this match isn't absurd. But Real is getting close to Nick Lee treatment on the Iowa side.
When you are only favored in a few matches you have to “hold on” to what you can. 😃😃

Reactions: donboy6499
and none of them turn like him either. i'm not a wrestling phd, but i know 4 pts > trading 2 for 1.
Of course.
Just wonder how long back one would have to go to find a wrestler so successful in matches ending early but not actually having/needing more than a TD.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Here's my "eye test" thoughts on Beau this year--no facts were checked:
  • This year, he's wrestling like the elite recruit we all desperately wanted to commit to PSU. He can shoot from space apparently (ask Sasso), but that's not usually how he scores. He uses his strength and handfighting ability to move people into attackable angles.
  • He seems to have the strength and yes, the PSU Room techniques to turn 50/50 scrambles into points. That was notedly missing last year for sure.
  • While not getting pins like he did in high school, he has a lot of pin-threats in his arsenal, and unlike years past, he's learning how to use those to get takedowns consistently.
  • The guys he should be bonusing, or at least pulling away from, he is--at least to a good degree more than he was doing at 149.
  • He generally has more confidence in his game overall, and is more willing to take shots early. Hopefully, this comes on even stronger after beating RW on Friday.
Does that add up to a win against Real Woods? Time will tell. I'll probably pick Real in KYPSW, but I would not be surprised to be wrong in that prediction.

not how it works.

answer this: do you think brands has a better chance of winning if he wrestles defensively and keeps it close late or recklessly attacking?

i swear some of you don't even watch wrestling
I think Brands has a little more than zero percent chance of winning, no matter what he does. Knowing that, why not try and actually wrestle instead of purposefully trying to keep it close by not creating any offense for yourself. Attacking doesn't have to be reckless just because you are outmatched by your opponent. If you don't have confidence in your attacks then why wrestle? You don't have to continually be shooting but one attack per match isn't too much to ask for, unless it's Ruth and Brands wrestling

I try to watch wrestling when I can but when I watch the black and gold, the wrestling is really few and far between.

I think Brands has a little more than zero percent chance of winning, no matter what he does. Knowing that, why not try and actually wrestle instead of purposefully trying to keep it close by not creating any offense for yourself. Attacking doesn't have to be reckless just because you are outmatched by your opponent. If you don't have confidence in your attacks then why wrestle? You don't have to continually be shooting but one attack per match isn't too much to ask for, unless it's Ruth and Brands wrestling

I try to watch wrestling when I can but when I watch the black and gold, the wrestling is really few and far between.
some people just insist on being obtuse

I cannot believe you just started listing names again. You are really on tilt this week.

I cannot believe you just started listing names again. You are really on tilt this week.
Does he do this a lot? He seems genuinely confused why a fan of a team who's wrestler is ranked what? 3? might have a chance against a guy ranked 2.
Geeze, let me mull this over, hummm, maybe due to bias and fandom combined with a genuine belief and trust PSU prepares their guys better than the Iowa staff prepares their fellows.

Or have given up more back points?

I’m not trying to knock him, he’s been incredible. But I struggle always with the hype machine behind him (and over which Spencer has no control). The best wrestler Tom has ever seen has given up back points in two of his last three matches.
So, does that put Ramos somewhere near Sadulaev?

Reactions: mcpat and danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT