ADVERTISEMENT

Flo’s lawsuit against Willie and Rokfin

Soltero accusing Flo of searching Willie's personal emails without authorization

Although to be fair, I thought if he accessed his personal email from a work computer, that might be fair game?

The biggest mistake in this trial is allowing Karen to coach the witness. There's a reason that she is sitting across from him.

FWIW, Texas' "rule of optional completeness"--the thing they just spent a half hour fighting over--is an evidence rule that provides one party an opportunity to rebut potentially misleading testimony, such as if a party offered a statement into evidence like "I didn't shoot the defendant" while omitting "before 11 pm." I really don't get why FloKaren saw the need (and neither did the judge) to employ this because (a) all this evidence can be repackaged at closing and has already been heard; and (b) it's a bench trial, not a jury trial, so jury prejudice isn't really a danger.

FWIW, Texas' "rule of optional completeness"--the thing they just spent a half hour fighting over--is an evidence rule that provides one party an opportunity to rebut potentially misleading testimony, such as if a party offered a statement into evidence like "I didn't shoot the defendant" while omitting "before 11 pm." I really don't get why FloKaren saw the need (and neither did the judge) to employ this because (a) all this evidence can be repackaged at closing and has already been heard; and (b) it's a bench trial, not a jury trial, so jury prejudice isn't really a danger.

Not watching right now...does this have to do with Soltero trying to "impeach" Machuca? Did he do it (whatever that means)?

Allright I'm back in. Kelly getting some playing time today, and has escaped from the dungeon

There has probably been more spent in legal fees than Flo’s entire net worth.

Judge Livingston ripped FloKaren's head off over a common issue, whether Party A received a file from Party B.

Livingston then asked Flo's Machuca a question that I'm guessing not many saw as significant but definitely was. She'd asked, with respect to the spreadsheets at issue that Willie used to compile the rankings, whether any particular data point contained within the spreadsheets was proprietary or a trade secret, and Machuca had to admit no. This is important because case law distinguishes between trade secrets that are the produce of your own intellectual efforts, and those that are merely compilations of publicly available data; courts have been less friendly the latter. I don't quite know how Texas handles it (because the issue will more naturally arise in federal court) but federal courts require a higher showing, and you'll typically see language "painstaking arrangement," "years of expense," "massive compilation," and so on. Viewing Willie's (or anyone's) rankings as trade secrets is a real stretch because
  1. they're essentially the intellectual product of one person--not so different from a journalist's impressions of an event or events except that they're numerically ordered. Even while they're secret (which is a requirement for trade secret protection) they have practically no intrinsic value if they're disaggregated from their source (the journalist)--i.e., if I possessed Willie's rankings and took his name off I'd have no market to sell them; their value derives from their being Willie's rankings; and
  2. they're temporal--their value essentially expires in the days after publication.
That said, courts have been overly flexible, in my opinion, in allowing the vast overexpansion of trade secrets and patents.

Judge Livingston ripped FloKaren's head off over a common issue, whether Party A received a file from Party B.

Livingston then asked Flo's Machuca a question that I'm guessing not many saw as significant but definitely was. She'd asked, with respect to the spreadsheets at issue that Willie used to compile the rankings, whether any particular data point contained within the spreadsheets was proprietary or a trade secret, and Machuca had to admit no. This is important because case law distinguishes between trade secrets that are the produce of your own intellectual efforts, and those that are merely compilations of publicly available data; courts have been less friendly the latter. I don't quite know how Texas handles it (because the issue will more naturally arise in federal court) but federal courts require a higher showing, and you'll typically see language "painstaking arrangement," "years of expense," "massive compilation," and so on. Viewing Willie's (or anyone's) rankings as trade secrets is a real stretch because
  1. they're essentially the intellectual product of one person--not so different from a journalist's impressions of an event or events except that they're numerically ordered. Even while they're secret (which is a requirement for trade secret protection) they have practically no intrinsic value if they're disaggregated from their source (the journalist)--i.e., if I possessed Willie's rankings and took his name off I'd have no market to sell them; their value derives from their being Willie's rankings; and
  2. they're temporal--their value essentially expires in the days after publication.
That said, courts have been overly flexible, in my opinion, in allowing the vast overexpansion of trade secrets and patents.
Are you going to be posting video of today’s tribal? Had to work, so I couldn’t live stream.

What would make my day:

A screen capture of a text or email from Pyles complaining about @jammenz and his tough FRL questions

They did just show someone asking the FRLQuestion of will Flo still have Who's #1 after Willie left (saw the screen but had sound off at the time so don't know what was asked)

Livingston calling counsels to chambers to spank Karen for repeatedly testifying during cross.

They did just show someone asking the FRLQuestion of will Flo still have Who's #1 after Willie left (saw the screen but had sound off at the time so don't know what was asked)
The Flo lawyer was questioning Willie, at least from my non-law point of view, about having Floreani/Rokfin and/or his(Willie's) page on Rokfin "targeting" certain wrestling things and on Willie's list of targets was who's #1. Willie said he just used that phrase as a general thought about an all star event.

Well said. I fell out of love with Flo when CP came on board. Real loser of a guy.

I actually don’t mind CP, but although I missed most of today I am looking forward to him as a witness here. Also curious what they will say is the reason if he misses FRL. Sounds like Karen has more questions for Willie starting tomorrow.

Well said. I fell out of love with Flo when CP came on board. Real loser of a guy.
I like CP. Flo would be nothing without him IMHO. From what I gathered from last week's proceedings (thanks Tikk!), CP is basically running the show on the wrestling side of the business. It's no surprise he's a "company man" and who can blame him? It's his livelihood after all, not a hobby. As for Willie, I'm reserving judgment for now simply because I haven't followed the entire trial. I will say he seems to have brought this on himself and he seems to be his own worst enemy. We'll see.

I actually don’t mind CP, but although I missed most of today I am looking forward to him as a witness here. Also curious what they will say is the reason if he misses FRL. Sounds like Karen has more questions for Willie starting tomorrow.
Don't think there is any court on Weds Veteran's Day.

Don't think there is any court on Weds Veteran's Day.

Good call, I’m sure you’re right. The stream cut out pretty abruptly as Judge Livingston was seemingly about to scold FloKaren for being disorganized

Get that video up my man. I'm anxious to catch up. I'm assuming they were in trial again today too?
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I'm having real problems with my Youtube account, where videos stop uploading at the 99% mark. It's happened 5 times now, and I'm working on workarounds. Will get back to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT