ADVERTISEMENT

Flo's Latest Rankings

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
Iowa has all ten wrestlers ranked in the top 8. Haven't seen this type of separation from PSU by another team in a while.

Iowa 139.5
Penn State 102

Yeah. Those are the 3 key weights for psu
Will be interesting. Hopefully we can pull through

Iowa has all ten wrestlers ranked in the top 8. Haven't seen this type of separation from PSU by another team in a while.

Iowa 139.5
Penn State 102

These rankings INCLUDE Berge ranked 6th and Rasheed ranked 8th without yet seeing the mat due to injuries. Iowa is a clear favorite at this point. PSU will need these two to come back strong PLUS they need points from 125, 149 and especially 197. Quite a challenge...….making victory so much sweeter :)

Berge at 157, Brooks at 184 and a healthy shack at 197 if not healthy than beard. I think the good guys win the dual vs Iowa and get the 5th straight ncaa title.

Trouble is, we were near our ceiling at the beginning of the year (in terms of these rankings)--and Iowa had room to grow (and they have). We've seen Conel drop a lot, Verk some, and most everyone else hold serve. Unless we win the Iowa dual, I doubt we'll head into the off season in the top slot of most rankings. I'm fine with that. Iowa is probably pretty close to their ceiling at this point too--some ground to gain at 184 (but we might too--I think Shak can easily outperform 8th). I'd be really surprised if Brooks' shirt gets pulled. Beard's, maybe.

In reality, I don't know why anyone is that surprised. It's been long established that Iowa would be a very tough out in 2020 after we lost Bo, Nolf (essentially 50-55 points) Can we win this year? Yes but it will be very difficult and we have a ways to go. Trust the coaching staff!

Haven't seen the rankings but I'd dispute Murin and Wilcke finishing top 8 in the end.
Wilcke likely won’t be their starter though, and I can see Brands making the podium. I do think that Young is probably over valued with all the youth talent in the weight, but then again, so would Berge.

Last edited:
Reactions: tewlepz
Haven't seen the rankings but I'd dispute Murin and Wilcke finishing top 8 in the end.
Exactly and everything else would have to fall into place perfectly. When had that ever happened. That's right never. Still have to wrestle and our coaches coach our guys up. Some Iowa boys may get upset as may ours. Long way from a title for anyone. Titles on paper are worthless and there is no lock this year.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Wilcke likely won’t be their starter though, and I can see Brands making the podium. I do think that Young is probably over valued with all the youth talent in the weight, but then again, so would Berge.

I may hype Brands more than even the average Iowa homer. I love his story, his approach, and his fight. However, the reality is that he is undersized, and that circumstance typically gets exposed bigtime at the NCAA tournament. He's a guy I'd like to root for, but the deck is stacked against him making the podium, IMO. As always, time will tell.

I may hype Brands more than even the average Iowa homer. I love his story, his approach, and his fight. However, the reality is that he is undersized, and that circumstance typically gets exposed bigtime at the NCAA tournament. He's a guy I'd like to root for, but the deck is stacked against him making the podium, IMO. As always, time will tell.
I'm not aware of how undersized he is--but was very impressed with his battle with Colbray. But yeah, if he remains small come March, that can certainly wear on you. Makes me wonder how well Gross, Mark, and others presumably with big cuts ahead of them for OTT will fair too. Kemerer looks plenty big--maybe they could swap? Sorry--I'm sure this has all been discussed ad infinitum on that other board--but I just don't enjoy myself over there very much.

Reactions: slushhead
One other prediction; at least one of the two teams will have an injury (not from the current he list of guys out) that will have an unforseen major effect on the points potential at Nationals.

I am also wondering, can Oly redshirts be rescinded? If so I suspect a few key guys 'might' change their minds after the US Open later this month. Maybe just maybe the rankings will change accordingly pushing some of the current guys down a notch it two.

All that aside, I think any projections related to points at Nationals are semi-educated guesses until at least the dual on Jan 31st. That will answer a lot of questions. Until then Iowa is stronger on paper with a long runway ahead where much can happen

The Spencer Lee effect is real and they have loaded up. If we had landed him, Surriano's departure would have been a yawner, and I think Desanto and Teasdale are both be tied to Spencer's influence, maybe even Eierman as well.

One other prediction; at least one of the two teams will have an injury (not from the current he list of guys out) that will have an unforseen major effect on the points potential at Nationals.

I am also wondering, can Oly redshirts be rescinded? If so I suspect a few key guys 'might' change their minds after the US Open later this month. Maybe just maybe the rankings will change accordingly pushing some of the current guys down a notch it two.

All that aside, I think any projections related to points at Nationals are semi-educated guesses until at least the dual on Jan 31st. That will answer a lot of questions. Until then Iowa is stronger on paper with a long runway ahead where much can happen

The Spencer Lee effect is real and they have loaded up. If we had landed him, Surriano's departure would have been a yawner, and I think Desanto and Teasdale are both be tied to Spencer's influence, maybe even Eierman as well.
I do not know the Oly RS process, but I am pretty sure Flo was speculating that Suriano would only take his fall semester. Of course they have been known to be wrong sometimes.

Average Iowa Homer has him winning it all lol

These rankings INCLUDE Berge ranked 6th and Rasheed ranked 8th without yet seeing the mat due to injuries. Iowa is a clear favorite at this point. PSU will need these two to come back strong PLUS they need points from 125, 149 and especially 197. Quite a challenge...….making victory so much sweeter :)

So we need 10 scoring wrestlers?

May be true that they never make the top 8 this year. They could both go 2 and 2 BBQ at nationals. If you place them as the 9th and 10th spots of point scorers in the Iowa line up then they are competing against Teske and ???? Kyle at Nattys. Right now I'd wager the Iowa guys get more points.

Long way to March. PSU has more reliable guys to get to the finals. Iowa has more potential top 4 types. Next level of point scorers will be interesting in both quantity and quality. As the line ups stand now, I'd favor Iowa in bonus . Tons of unanswered questions on both sides.

A long way to March. I am going to enjoy the season (great home schedule) , the match ups at BIGS, and the journey that is Nationals. Rankings will sort themselves along the way.

I've only seen a little bit of both teams so far this year. Based on what I've seen, if someone put a gun to my head and said that I have to bet my entire 401k on someone, I'd have to go with Iowa.

However, that being said, I think it's fair to remind everyone about how accurate all the pundit's predictions were in the 2016 election. (NOT trying to stir the political pot here. It's just a perfect example of how the experts can sometimes be dead wrong.)

I've only seen a little bit of both teams so far this year. Based on what I've seen, if someone put a gun to my head and said that I have to bet my entire 401k on someone, I'd have to go with Iowa.

However, that being said, I think it's fair to remind everyone about how accurate all the pundit's predictions were in the 2016 election. (NOT trying to stir the political pot here. It's just a perfect example of how the experts can sometimes be dead wrong.)

Well.....at the NCAAs......I don't think we have to worry about the Russians. Just sayin'

Watching Iowa vs Badgers match, I offer the following observations. Iowa looks like their setup to peak way to early. time will tell. If Iowa wins the NCAA's it will be because they kill it on the backside. I only see Lee and Kememer in the finals. That's only if Kememer can get opposite Hall. What know bull. I think he suffers the same fait as last year.

So because Iowa was in shape and brought the pain to Wisconsin that means they are already peaking?

Reactions: Grip220
Wrestling is the one sport where you don't have to worry about rankings. People's opinions won't matter during BIGs or Nationals. The Hawks may be the best team this year, but basing it off of November wrestling is pretty useless.

Average Iowa Homer has him winning it all lol

Honestly, I don't see the average Iowa homer suggesting that at all. More like low AA. There is a substantial faction that believes Wilcke is the safer bet, and another that wants to see Brands get the opportunity regardless -- because of his style and anticipated growth curve (both physically and skillwise). I pump him purely from an entertainment standpoint. They'll figure it out by January.

While I p!ss and moan with the best of them. UNSecretly, Im very much ok with the current journey. The hawks, huskers, etc can all enjoy the warmth of November/December wrestling. Good for them. Win the midlands. Win CKLV. Kick the butt of 2nd and 3rd and 4th tier teams. Shut them out. Face mush them, yell at them, scare them. Give em hell interweb wrestling fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a thread last year about perfect seasons during this run of 8 in 9 (I do not plan to dig it u) and I think the years where the team had a rough patch, had some adversity were the most enjoyable for me personally. reasonably knowing the outcome before they load the bus is f**, but is it really that much f**???????

Sure the board was/will be a mess, but its the intranet, which is a mess by evolution/design anyway. Who cares. Really who cares. If this board or other boards bum you out, its a you thing, because you know what you are bound to get when you sign in. Train wreck watching should be labeled a national pastime.

People will continue to say in the heat of it, blah, blah, blah, this, that and the other thing. Tis what it Tis!

Now back to my mid week, hump day, half way to the weekend post supper martini.

#FreeWillie
#GrippgotoMinnynotBigs
#brandsonashelfisfunnytomenotsurewhy
#7pmtipsyisbetterthan2amDMMdrunk

I would love to see a live thread of Cael reading message boards. I could see Casey having a burner and randomly talking shizzle on Hawkeye report.

I agree @dunkej01 ... I watched ASU duel* after a night at the bars and had a couple yells at the TV which woke the Mrs. and made some questionable posts. But, I felt alive and in retrospect was a little more F*n to not know with 100% certainty PSU would win... which really only tO$U has been able to do that recently.

I agree that Iowa will be deadly on the backside-- but we've still got the heavy hitters and I like our chances with our wrasslers and coaching staff. Gonna be a great 2020.

Yeah. Those are the 3 key weights for psu
Will be interesting. Hopefully we can pull through
Losing Nolf & Bo is obviously huge. Both on & off the mat. No surprise, everyone knew it.

I would love to see a live thread of Cael reading message boards. I could see Casey having a burner and randomly talking shizzle on Hawkeye report.

I agree @dunkej01 ... I watched ASU duel* after a night at the bars and had a couple yells at the TV which woke the Mrs. and made some questionable posts. But, I felt alive and in retrospect was a little more F*n to not know with 100% certainty PSU would win... which really only tO$U has been able to do that recently.

I agree that Iowa will be deadly on the backside-- but we've still got the heavy hitters and I like our chances with our wrasslers and coaching staff. Gonna be a great 2020.

I rec'd this because of: "But, I felt alive" Fantastic internetting!

Money where mouth is big guy. I say that Iowa not only wins the dual, but the BiGs and the NCAAs! I could also say it will not be Close and PSU could be 3-4 , but I will retract my last I would not want to be caught sounding like a Moran!

Is this....what language is this? Google Translate was confused as well.

In reality, I don't know why anyone is that surprised. It's been long established that Iowa would be a very tough out in 2020 after we lost Bo, Nolf (essentially 50-55 points) Can we win this year? Yes but it will be very difficult and we have a ways to go. Trust the coaching staff!

Maybe that is because when we lost Taylor and Ruth, we did not have the difficulty we have now.
Also, imo this is Iowa’s best lineup in years.
And Ohio State should start to get back to its formidable self after this down year. They have certainly recruited well enough.

One question: is our next hwt going to be good enough to compete with Kerk and Cassiopi etc. I believe he will be good, but how good.

Reactions: dsites52
Maybe that is because when we lost Taylor and Ruth, we did not have the difficulty we have now.
Also, imo this is Iowa’s best lineup in years.
And Ohio State should start to get back to its formidable self after this down year. They have certainly recruited well enough.

One question: is our next hwt going to be good enough to compete with Kerk and Cassiopi etc. I believe he will be good, but how good.
The year after DT and Ruth graduated, we finished 5th at NCAAs. That ain’t happening this year. Both years we redshirted a metric grip ton of talent.

Seth wrestled Cass in freestyle last year. It was clear that Seth had less Freestyle mat awareness, Cass won easily, but Seth was able to score on him. Jury is out on a folkstyle matchup. also on where Kerk lands.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT