ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THREAD: Penn State versus Maryland

Well the record in the game predictions thread yesterday evening will show that I had Penn State to win and cover the 10-point spread "with room to spare."

I put my money where my mouth was...and then was bailed out late by the interception for a TD.

Whatever...I'll take it. As the saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good.

So Franklin lives to fight another day.

Really big game coming up next week.

Well the record in the game predictions thread yesterday evening will show that I had Penn State to win and cover the 10-point spread "with room to spare."

I put my money where my mouth was...and then was bailed out late by the interception for a TD.

Where is the luck? I mean that wasn't a tipped pass.

Where is the luck? I mean that wasn't a tipped pass.

Lucky because we are a better team but mystifyingly gave up a possession at the end of the half and then let them hang around all game into the 4th quarter.

After that, with just minutes to play, deep in our territory and apparently driving for a score, their QB makes a late read, and one of our guys not only hangs on to the ball (for a change) but runs it back the length of the field for the clinching TD.

If you bet on Penn State and laid 10 points, you should be feeling pretty lucky now.

Baffled by the announcers repeated claims that MD threw the game away and probably should have won???? PSU outgained MD 458 yards to 419 yards. More importantly, PSU averaged 5.8 YPP (458 yards on 79 plays) - MD averaged 4.9 YPP (419 yards on 85 plays). For all the talk about MD stopping PSU's running game, PSU's run defense stuffed MD's running game far worse - PSU had 93 rushing yards on 33 rushes (2.8 yards per rush). MD had 48 rushing yards on 27 rushing attempts (1.8 yards per rush). PSU won the TO battle 2-0 with one going for a defensive TD. PSU won every phase of the game including the scoreboard, so no idea what the announcers are talking about in regards to MD outplaying PSU in any phase of the game.

They were the D team on Fox. It happens. The analyst was hard to take with that deep voice. I actually muted the TV for a while and let my wife talk over the game.

We had the historically awful B1G F-team officials today too. You know who.

Lucky because we are a better team but mystifyingly gave up a possession at the end of the half and then let them hang around all game into the 4th quarter.

After that, with just minutes to play, deep in our territory and apparently driving for a score, their QB makes a late read, and one of our guys not only hangs on to the ball (for a change) but runs it back the length of the field for the clinching TD.

If you bet on Penn State and laid 10 points, you should be feeling pretty lucky now.
Yeah thats not luck

Dotson now up to 10-237-3 after that latest catch and run. What a day he is having.
True story about Dotson. Nazareth was playing Whitehall. The highest scoring teams in the EPC. Whitehall doubled Jahan on every play. The Blue Eagles put him really wide, essentially taking two Zephyrs players out of the game. It was 9 on 10. Nazareth took advantage of that to score 49 points sans Dotson. Whitehall
scored 51 to win. The point is, Dotson scared them so much, they went unsound defensively to avoid him going nuts. They got lucky. It was a nutty game.

Yeah thats not luck

Of course it's not, it's called putting pressure on your opponent to take risks (PSU was winning by 10 and clock dictated that MD had to score).... and your defense makes a play making them pay for taking too many risks. That's called football, but most off these goofs haven't a clue what they're talking about. A defender making a Pick-6 on an undeflected pass is a good defensive play, not "lucky"..... More blah, blah, blah from the loudmouths [insert eyeroll].

Reactions: gptakba

The Fraud will be exposed yet again. 6-4 after the Michigan loss.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Of course it's not, it's called putting pressure on your opponent to take risks (PSU was winning by 10 and clock dictated that MD had to score).... and your defense makes a play making them pay for taking too many risks. That's called football, but most off these goofs haven't a clue what they're talking about. A defender making a Pick-6 on an undeflected pass is a good defensive play, not "lucky"..... More blah, blah, blah frosh om the loudmouths [insert eyeroll].
Thanks, Greta!

Of course it's not, it's called putting pressure on your opponent to take risks (PSU was winning by 10 and clock dictated that MD had to score).... and your defense makes a play making them pay for taking too many risks. That's called football, but most off these goofs haven't a clue what they're talking about. A defender making a Pick-6 on an undeflected pass is a good defensive play, not "lucky"..... More blah, blah, blah from the loudmouths [insert eyeroll].

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the victory itself was lucky. But if you laid the 10 points, you were lucky to win your money.

Maryland driving late for a score that would have cut the lead to 3. DB makes a play and takes the ball 85 yards to the house and suddenly the margin is 17. That's gambling luck.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bdroc
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the victory itself was lucky. But if you laid the 10 points, you were lucky to win your money.

Maryland driving late for a score that would have cut the lead to 3. DB makes a play and takes the ball 85 yards to the house and suddenly the margin is 17. That's gambling luck.
Since I’m not stupid enough to bet on any games, I don’t care if they beat the spread. I care if they win.
I was happy that they finally got a pick six after having dropped so many this season.

Reactions: bdroc and psuro
Since I’m not stupid enough to bet on any games, I don’t care if they beat the spread. I care if they win.
I was happy that they finally got a pick six after having dropped so many this season.

Gambling on football (or anything) is only stupid if you don't bet within your means and can't afford to lose. Otherwise, it makes for an entertaining Saturday. But to each his own.

Gambling on Penn State and having them win the game and you win your money is like having your cake and eating it too.

Yesterday's way too early line on the Michigan game was 2...Wolverines favored. Look for that number to go up. No way do I touch Penn State getting only two points.

Hmmmm, that's football... and it sure as hell wasn't a "lucky play" by the PSU Defender - especially given the fact that PSU has some of the absolute best "RedZone" defensive numbers in the entire nation holding opponents scoreless on more than one-third of their trips into the RZ (held opponents scoreless on 12 of 34 trips into RZ - including 4 of the 12 on turnovers 2 INT, 2 Fumbles [4 TOs in RZ leads b1g]). So it's rather silly to claim it was a "lucky" play as PSU's season RZ numbers clearly demonstrate.

Hmmmm, that's football... and it sure as hell wasn't a "lucky play" by the PSU Defender - especially given the fact that PSU has some of the absolute best "RedZone" defensive numbers in the entire nation holding opponents scoreless on more than one-third of their trips into the RZ (held opponents scoreless on 12 of 34 trips into RZ - including 4 of the 12 on turnovers 2 INT, 2 Fumbles [4 TOs in RZ leads b1g]). So it's rather silly to claim it was a "lucky" play as PSU's season RZ numbers clearly demonstrate.

Again -- it was a fine play...a great play...a wonderful play...the farthest thing from a lucky play.

But if you laid the 10 points and watched things instantly turn on a dime deep in your own territory late in the game, you may be forgiven for believing yourself "lucky."

Gambling on football (or anything) is only stupid if you don't bet within your means and can't afford to lose. Otherwise, it makes for an entertaining Saturday. But to each his own.

Gambling on Penn State and having them win the game and you win your money is like having your cake and eating it too.

Yesterday's way too early line on the Michigan game was 2...Wolverines favored. Look for that number to go up. No way do I touch Penn State getting only two points.
So what is betting on Penn State to beat Illinois like? Throwing up your cake that was iced with ipecac?

So what is betting on Penn State to beat Illinois like? Throwing up your cake that was iced with ipecac?

Haha! Betting Penn State as a big favorite has always been a risky proposition...going back to Joe who didn't believe in running up scores. That's generally not a problem for us these days though.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT