ADVERTISEMENT

HAVE YOU HEARD???

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD POST!!!

THIS is what I am here looking for!!!!! Any info you have on this i would love to hear about. I actually have a old VHS tape I pulled out of a wrestling room closet where i coached of the KONKRETE KIDS as you called them correctly. The cement job and all the ways they used it is unreal!

I believe it was the coaches son in the NCAAs that was down big and hit the Cement job for the fall in what I believe is the greatest finals match of all-time! Is tat correct?
Rob Rohn is Don Rohn’s cousin.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
GOOD POST!!!

THIS is what I am here looking for!!!!! Any info you have on this i would love to hear about. I actually have a old VHS tape I pulled out of a wrestling room closet where i coached of the KONKRETE KIDS as you called them correctly. The cement job and all the ways they used it is unreal!

I believe it was the coaches son in the NCAAs that was down big and hit the Cement job for the fall in what I believe is the greatest finals match of all-time! Is tat correct?
That is correct. Don Rohn was a D1 Champ at Clarion and later led the Konkrete Kids for about a 20 year period and was at the helm of some of the best PA high school wrestling teams in history.

His nephew, Rob, won an NCAA title with a cement job over Lambert while trailing like 14-3 or something like that in the 3rd.

Later after Rohn stepped down from Northampton, he became an assistant coach at Saucon Valley for years where his son was on staff. There's a little more to that story, but I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
That is correct. Don Rogan was a D1 Champ at Clarion and later led the Konkrete Kids for about a 20 year period and was at the helm of some of the best PA high school wrestling teams in history.

His nephew, Rob, won an NCAA title with a cement job over Lambert while trailing like 14-3 or something like that in the 3rd.

Later after Rohn stepped down from Northampton, he became an assistant coach at Saucon Valley for years where his son was on staff. There's a little more to that story, but I'll leave it at that.
For clarity: Rob Rohn attended Nazareth HS, which is a neighbor to Northampton.

Didn't know that. I figured nephew because of the age difference.
Well maybe nephew. The person who told me that was Greg Strobel’s wife. She was sitting right in front of me when Lehigh was at ASU for a dual. She may have meant nephew when she said cousin. But the real point is that they are definitely related.

Reactions: Sullivan
giphy.gif
Stop it.

They are called the Konkrete Kids.

Northampton, PA was the world capital of concrete production during the bulk of the 20th century. It was the home of the Atlas Portland Cement company which was the largest of more than a dozen concrete factories in the Lehigh Valley.

My great-grandfather emigrated from Italy with my grandfather to work at one of those factories, Alpha Cement, in Alpha, NJ just across the river from Easton. A whole community of Italians from the province of Ancona emigrated and settled in Phillipsburg and Alpha to work in the factory.

My grandfather used to tell me stories of bringing his father a block of cheese and a quart of home made wine every day for his lunch break until he went to work with him at age 14.

The people of the valley are a tough breed and it has no peer in the country for producing top HS wrestlers in that dense of an area - about two dozen schools. WPIAL may produce more and is just as tough, but they are bigger.

What you may know as a "cowcatcher" is actually a cement mixer. The name should belong to the area that owned the move and made it their own. The rolling cement job and flying cement mixer even more so.

Farmers are tough people but there's probably nobody tougher than the descendants of alcoholic steel and cement workers. It's a crucible that churns (and burns) out great wrestlers.
Granted. Don't forget those Irish, Italians that immigrated and worked on the railroad, deep mines.... Also key in the steel mills, brick yards :)

As far as coaching, I do not like what he did to his former great coach! I do not like what he did to his former school! I do not like the reports of how the deal went down for him to come to PSU!
You should assess how Cael left Iowa St for Penn St vs how Brands left VA Tech for Iowa. And insane made-up posts on GIA aren’t “reports”.

They are called the Konkrete Kids.

Northampton, PA was the world capital of concrete production during the bulk of the 20th century. It was the home of the Atlas Portland Cement company which was the largest of more than a dozen concrete factories in the Lehigh Valley.

My great-grandfather emigrated from Italy with my grandfather to work at one of those factories, Alpha Cement, in Alpha, NJ just across the river from Easton. A whole community of Italians from the province of Ancona emigrated and settled in Phillipsburg and Alpha to work in the factory.

My grandfather used to tell me stories of bringing his father a block of cheese and a quart of home made wine every day for his lunch break until he went to work with him at age 14.

The people of the valley are a tough breed and it has no peer in the country for producing top HS wrestlers in that dense of an area - about two dozen schools. WPIAL may produce more and is just as tough, but they are bigger.

What you may know as a "cowcatcher" is actually a cement mixer. The name should belong to the area that owned the move and made it their own. The rolling cement job and flying cement mixer even more so.

Farmers are tough people but there's probably nobody tougher than the descendants of alcoholic steel and cement workers. It's a crucible that churns (and burns) out great wrestlers.
Not wrestling, but also personified by football's Concrete Charlie (Chuck) Bednarik from the 1950s & 1960s ... one of the last 60-minute players.

I'm more respectful to the Iowa program over there, but I'm not 2 faced.
Not sure never remember seeing any of your posts? 2 faced???? I think not, tell it 100% how it is! Come to MY board and talk smack, you will get it back in spades!!!

Heard I was famous over here, came to see, found out that it seems everyone in PA knows me. Already received some good info about PA wrestling, which has made the effort worth while.
You should assess how Cael left Iowa St for Penn St vs how Brands left VA Tech for Iowa. And insane made-up posts on GIA aren’t “reports”.
My opinion is it is very different in just about every way. Brands was going HOME! Brands was taking the TOP JOB in college wrestling. No one flew him in on a private jet and there was no promise of a large club money donation.

Cael took out HIS head coach and was at HIS school! Not saying you can not look for better opportunities etc.... but it has been reported that there was a little EXTRA in the deal!

My main concern is what it has done to college wrestling. As it stands, the amount of teams, especially in D1 has fallen considerably. Also the honest number of teams that can even have a remote chance to earn a trophy is now maybe 5-6???

The snowball effect with the Portal and NIL now, has most college teams getting burned even when they do a good job bringing in talent, who then look to leave!!! Where this goes, we shall see, but my concern is, we start to lose teams.

When I wrestled in college in the mid 80's, the amount of teams was something like 3Xs more. It is sad when HS wrestling is the 6th largest HS sport, yet the number who get a chance to move on is so incredibly small.

I don't remember anything about NY coming down and beating PA high schools. My memory, and I am 59 years old, goes back to the piaa State tournament in the early 70s being one class for all, only the winners advanced, and only 4 guys per weight got in. It was televised throughout the state on the pbs channel, it was sold out and they used the farm show arena in Harrisburg.

And it was unreal. Cut throat and no mercy. Upsets all the time and the competition was unbelievable. We went every year. They didn't start splitting into class a and class b until 1974. For a few years they rotated between rec Hall and the farm show.

Cael took out HIS head coach and was at HIS school! Not saying you can not look for better opportunities etc.... but it has been reported that there was a little EXTRA in the deal!

My main concern is what it has done to college wrestling.
Please elaborate on this so-called “EXTRA in the deal” and provide links to the reports you cite.

12 schools account for every national championship ever. That’s since 1928. And only six have won more than once. So your argument that Cael has ruined wrestling and made only 5-6 schools relevant is laughable. It’s always been that top heavy.

I’m guessing you were fine when Iowa was winning every year. I bet you were even fine when it was discovered Gable was doing it with more than the allowed # of scholarships and Iowa was sanctioned by the NCAA for it.

Title IX hurt wrestling bad. But sorry, Cael has helped wrestling.

And if you are truly concerned about what it’s done to college wrestling, then you should acknowledge that Brands left VA Tech in such a bad place that they considered dropping the program.

Last edited:
Not sure never remember seeing any of your posts? 2 faced???? I think not, tell it 100% how it is! Come to MY board and talk smack, you will get it back in spades!!!

Heard I was famous over here, came to see, found out that it seems everyone in PA knows me. Already received some good info about PA wrestling, which has made the effort worth while.

My opinion is it is very different in just about every way. Brands was going HOME! Brands was taking the TOP JOB in college wrestling. No one flew him in on a private jet and there was no promise of a large club money donation.

My main concern is what it has done to college wrestling. As it stands, the amount of teams, especially in D1 has fallen considerably. Also the honest number of teams that can even have a remote chance to earn a trophy is now maybe 5-6???

The snowball effect with the Portal and NIL now, has most college teams getting burned even when they do a good job bringing in talent, who then look to leave!!! Where this goes, we shall see, but my concern is, we start to lose teams.

When I wrestled in college in the mid 80's, the amount of teams was something like 3Xs more. It is sad when HS wrestling is the 6th largest HS sport, yet the number who get a chance to move on is so incredibly small.
It's impossible to argue that Cael wasn't taking the top job in college wrestling as well, given the ensuing results.

The rest of that rambling statement is filibuster, incoherent and irrelevant. Are you really upset if someone flew on a private jet? Do you know that Brands flew coach when he was negotiating? What do the portal and NIL have to do with PSU hiring Cael?

I don't remember anything about NY coming down and beating PA high schools. My memory, and I am 59 years old, goes back to the piaa State tournament in the early 70s being one class for all, only the winners advanced, and only 4 guys per weight got in. It was televised throughout the state on the pbs channel, it was sold out and they used the farm show arena in Harrisburg.

And it was unreal. Cut throat and no mercy. Upsets all the time and the competition was unbelievable. We went every year. They didn't start splitting into class a and class b until 1974. For a few years they rotated between rec Hall and the farm show.

Please elaborate on this so-called “EXTRA in the deal” and provide links to the reports you cite.

12 schools account for every national championship ever. That’s since 1928. And only six have won more than once. So your argument that Cael has ruined wrestling and made only 5-6 schools relevant is laughable. It’s always been that top heavy.

I’m guessing you were fine when Iowa was winning every year. I bet you were even fine when it was discovered Gable was doing it with more than the allowed # of scholarships and Iowa was sanctioned by the NCAA for it.

Title IX hurt wrestling bad. But sorry, Cael has helped wrestling.

And if you are truly concerned about what it’s done to college wrestling, then you should acknowledge that Brands left VA Tech in such a bad place that they considered dropping the program.

It's impossible to argue that Cael wasn't taking the top job in college wrestling as well, given the ensuing results.

The rest of that rambling statement is filibuster, incoherent and irrelevant. Are you really upset if someone flew on a private jet? Do you know that Brands flew coach when he was negotiating? What do the portal and NIL have to do with PSU hiring Cael?
LOOK, there is NO reason to get into a pissing match! You can go take a look at many pages of this topic if you wish. Was a very large donation made to the club team. There was some spending that seemed "odd"

mcpat- yes on NC Teams but I said compete for a team trophy. There was also a great deal more schools who had individual National Champions! Including Many schools that no longer have wrestling. Just look what IOWA and PSU have done with the portal. Great for OUR teams I guess, not so much for the other teams.

What GABLE did was done under much different circumstances. You CAN NOT argue about the imbalance of recruiting.

YES on Title IX , NO Cael has not helped wrestling and I believe numbers prove this. IOWA has pretty much always dominated attendance. PSU is now doing very well for obvious reasons. Most other schools are struggling.

Went to Hofstra vs Ohio st. and the crowd size was sad!!!

Already spoke about Brands moving to best job in the sport!

Dice- NO he was not taking the best job!!! How could you say that at the time he was signing on???? Am I upset about someone flying on a private jet!?!?!? LOL, nope, stating the fact that it happened and that it is very unusual.

Portal and NIL have nothing to do with the hiring. Clearly wrote a snowball effect that is causing a problem. Will turn it into teams with $$$$ and everyone else and that is ALL NCAA sports. I predict it will become a total disaster especially for small sports.

Hell, if a hedge fund billionaire wanted to come in and take down any team including PSU wrestling, he could do it right now. Just start offering every TOP wrestler $$$$ they can not refuse. Some argue FREE MARKET etc... PRO teams have ALL sorts of rules to control one team from trying to buy championships. College currently has nothing in place.

The LAX team from 1 or 2 years back who was in the NC game had EIGHTEEN transfers!!! Was Rutgers or Maryland maybe? How is this good?

Last edited:
Reactions: RubberKneeMcGee
LOOK, there is NO reason to get into a pissing match! mcpat- yes on NC but I said compete for a team trophy. There was also a great deal more schools who had individual National Champions! Many schools that no longer have wrestling. Just look what IOWA and PSU have done with the portal. Great for OUR teams I guess, not so much for the other teams.

What GABLE did was done under much different circumstances. You CAN NOT argue about the imbalance of recruiting.

YES on Title IX , NO Cael has not helped wrestling and I believe numbers prove this. IOWA has pretty much always dominated attendance. PSU is now doing very well for obvious reasons. Most other schools are struggling.

Dice- NO he was not taking the best job!!! How could you say that at the time he was signing on???? Am I upset about someone flying on a private jet!?!?!? LOL, nope, stating the fact that it happened and that it is very unusual.

Portal and NIL have nothing to do with the hiring. Clear wrote a snowball effect that is causing a problem. Will be teams with $$$$ and everyone else and that is ALL NCAA sports. I predict it will become a total disaster especially for small sports.

Hell, if a hedge fund billionaire wanted to come in and take down any team including PSU wrestling, he could do it right now. Just start offering every TOP wrestler $$$$ they can not refuse.
The reason there is a pi$$ing match is because you spend a lot of your time on GIA posting unsubstantiated allegations about improprieties in the Penn St program. You’ve alluded to these improprieties in this thread and now you’re being asked to provide any proof whatsoever for your allegations.

Northampton used to come to Camp Hill for the Cedar Cliff Duals back in the 80s & 90s when Bob Craig was CCs coach. The Kids ruled those tournaments and it was almost always CC losing in the finals. When I went to Kutztown some of my friends were former Lehigh Valley wrestlers. AA school I can't remember. We talked a lot of wrestling. I remember talking to some HS coaches and they talked about bringing their HS teams from MD and FL. Purpose was to bring their heads back down from the clouds by getting some butt whoopings from average PA schools. No state compares to PA. There are some great programs in other states like NJ and OH, but our rank and file programs are far superior. No way a NY school other than one of these catholic schools that recruit an entire region was coming down into PA and beating quality programs all the time.

Northampton used to come to Camp Hill for the Cedar Cliff Duals back in the 80s & 90s when Bob Craig was CCs coach. The Kids ruled those tournaments and it was almost always CC losing in the finals. When I went to Kutztown some of my friends were former Lehigh Valley wrestlers. AA school I can't remember. We talked a lot of wrestling. I remember talking to some HS coaches and they talked about bringing their HS teams from MD and FL. Purpose was to bring their heads back down from the clouds by getting some butt whoopings from average PA schools. No state compares to PA. There are some great programs in other states like NJ and OH, but our rank and file programs are far superior. No way a NY school other than one of these catholic schools that recruit an entire region was coming down into PA and beating quality programs all the time.
Those Bob Craig coached Cedar Cliff teams were the class of the Mid-Penn conference for an awfully long time.

Ok, that seems like a good history lesson from the 40s and 50s.

Bucknell and Princeton once ruled college football also
Coach Gardner's overall record of 254-5-1, with 40 tournament titles, 1 co-title, and 3 seconds and his wrestlers have included 106 sectional champions in 22 years of coaching. None of these records have been remotely equaled. But probably the most enduring mark of the man and his records was that these great feats were accomplished against the best competition he could find in 5 states including New Jersey, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Virginia, and against teams representing city, county, and state all-stars.

YES, my point was clear! PA was not always as dominant as it is now. My question was/is how and why did it become what it is now? Many factors seem to be involved. People pointed out, coaching, TUFF kids, Tournaments etc...

The reason there is a pi$$ing match is because you spend a lot of your time on GIA posting unsubstantiated allegations about improprieties in the Penn St program. You’ve alluded to these improprieties in this thread and now you’re being asked to provide any proof whatsoever for your allegations.
Please then tell me which "allegations" you are referring to?

Coach Gardner's overall record of 254-5-1, with 40 tournament titles, 1 co-title, and 3 seconds and his wrestlers have included 106 sectional champions in 22 years of coaching. None of these records have been remotely equaled. But probably the most enduring mark of the man and his records was that these great feats were accomplished against the best competition he could find in 5 states including New Jersey, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Virginia, and against teams representing city, county, and state all-stars.

YES, my point was clear! PA was not always as dominant as it is now. My question was/is how and why did it become what it is now? Many factors seem to be involved. People pointed out, coaching, TUFF kids, Tournaments etc...
I don’t think most of us remember a time when it wasn’t. Our state school system is division 2 in all sports except D1 for many in wrestling. And for those that aren’t D1 wrestling now, many used to be. State schools like Lock Haven, Edinboro, Clarion, Bloomsburg, etc. aren’t D1 in wrestling only unless the state has the high school wrestlers to feed them. That’s not a recent phenomenon.

Last edited:
Been impressed with IRONBIRD thus far. Initiated some great conversation.

Ironbird, if you have nothing to do or anywhere to go for Christmas you can come hang at my house.

And no, I'm not trying to hoard IRONBIRD all to myself. I'm not...Really....I'm not..
You had said you weren’t sure this was the real Ironbird.

I’m not sure you’re the real JTS.

Thanks for the interesting read.

So Sprig was southern PA born, boxed for Franklin and Marshall (Lancaster, PA school), and returned to Gettysburg College (also PA) at the end of his career. PA born and bred.

Long Island was blessed to have borrowed him to have him coincidentally pay forward his love of wrestling there, perhaps in part courtesy of his Naval career. Certainly a result of the need to care for his widowed mother

Reactions: mcpat and IRONBIRD

sounds like more iowa trash talk to me!

LOOK, there is NO reason to get into a pissing match! You can go take a look at many pages of this topic if you wish. Was a very large donation made to the club team. There was some spending that seemed "odd"

mcpat- yes on NC Teams but I said compete for a team trophy. There was also a great deal more schools who had individual National Champions! Including Many schools that no longer have wrestling. Just look what IOWA and PSU have done with the portal. Great for OUR teams I guess, not so much for the other teams.

Portal and NIL have nothing to do with the hiring. Clearly wrote a snowball effect that is causing a problem. Will turn it into teams with $$$$ and everyone else and that is ALL NCAA sports. I predict it will become a total disaster especially for small sports.

Hell, if a hedge fund billionaire wanted to come in and take down any team including PSU wrestling, he could do it right now. Just start offering every TOP wrestler $$$$ they can not refuse. Some argue FREE MARKET etc... PRO teams have ALL sorts of rules to control one team from trying to buy championships. College currently has nothing in place.

The LAX team from 1 or 2 years back who was in the NC game had EIGHTEEN transfers!!! Was Rutgers or Maryland maybe? How is this good?

Iowa has spent far more money over the past few years on the wrestling team than Penn State. Didn’t Iowa spend something like $30 million on a new facility?

It seems like iowa could have spent half that on the new facility, and the other half to fund their coaches and wrestlers. That would have given them a $15 million slush fund.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
Slumlord Bob tried exactly this -- and got refused by Griffith, Nagao, Truax at least.

Yes, it was the best job. Strong financial support had been pledged to the program - a full year ahead of Cael coming - with top facilities, in the middle of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. It was the best job in the country, as was subsequently proven.

I don't understand why you feel financial support is a bad thing. Do you mean to tell me that if Doug Goethke pledged $7 million to benefit Iowa wrestling and Bob Nichols matched it, that Brands would refuse them for the "good of wrestling?" Oh, wait....

The assertion: Fewer schools have a chance at a team trophy with what Cael has done at Penn St.

The Study: I counted top four team finishes at the NCAA tournament in the 13 championships since Cael took over at Penn St. I counted the same for the 13 championships prior to Cael joining Penn St.

Results: 13 schools have at least one top 4 finish in the 13 championships since Cael joined PennSt.

13 schools have at least one top 4 finish in the 13 championships prior to Cael joining Penn St.

Conclusion: Try again, but harder this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT