ADVERTISEMENT

High School Wrestling Thread

That would never happen in D4. Gosh, Zain’s transfers is still talked about in our area.

Is Bassett hurt? I know Gibson is supposedly banged up but I hadn’t heard that Bassett was

Winning a PIAA Title is hard and winning multiple times is even harder. Look at the NCAA right now, Starocci was a 3x finalist and 2x champ, Levi was a 3x Finalist and 1x Champ, Paniro never even made the Finals. Kasak and Welsh are two of the top 2023 recruits and both are 1x champs. Kasak only made one final in his three PIAA seasons. While I agree with the sentiment that for the elite guys their senior season is better served in a blue shirt, the idea that the PIAA no longer matters or is too easy I just don't get.
yea I think 3 time NCAA champ Nate Carr only won 1 Pa title!

I thought western Pa was getting pounded with snow too? Does Bassett live by you in Johnstown?
I am glad Chest Nut Ridge beat them but they got kids from all over to. Very few full homegrown programs anymore.
Im not quite sure why ill address your ****ing stupidity, but here i go...

Out of their lineup I bet I know at least 8 of the wrestlers parents. Another, I'm assuming is the coaches son. And the kid from Hyndman doesn't even have a school in his town.

That leaves 3 I don't immediately know. Perhaps I know their mothers, or their parents went to Ridge after I was long gone. My sister might know more, she's 5 years younger than me.

God forbid people take a job in another area or move to get into a fairly good public school. Not everyone chooses to stay put and bang their sister amd cousins like you.

I know others have told you to knock off the stupid accusations or rumors. I'll add to it. Knock it off.

I thought western Pa was getting pounded with snow too? Does Bassett live by you in Johnstown?
I am glad Chest Nut Ridge beat them but they got kids from all over to. Very few full homegrown programs anymore.
Ridge has exactly 2: Mull from Somerset who transferred in prior to 9th grade and the HWT from hyndman who isn’t very good and switched to a Christian school this year who has a coop with CR.

I just asked my friend from that way. His son went to Bedford and he has one in Bedford now. Anyways: they have rigglemen brothers from Holidaysburg, Wharton from Bedford, mull Somerset, their starting hwt played football at Bedford this year. And he said many more going down the pipeline. I doubt people move there to take a job. It’s everywhere and in most top ten AA and AAA programs, so calm down.

So I guess that is homegrown. Sorry for offending anyone.

That would never happen in D4. Gosh, Zain’s transfers is still talked about in our area.
Don't fool yourself. A few years ago, Northwest's starting QB wrestled for Benton. The D6 example is just a kid in a school with one more athletics co-op arrangement.

Not too hard to imagine that happening in other rural districts.

Don't fool yourself. A few years ago, Northwest's starting QB wrestled for Benton. The D6 example is just a kid in a school with one more athletics co-op arrangement.

That would make sense since Northwest doesnt have wrestling and they COOP with Benton and its above board. Benton has less than 100 male students from 9th-12th grade.

I just asked my friend from that way. His son went to Bedford and he has one in Bedford now. Anyways: they have rigglemen brothers from Holidaysburg, Wharton from Bedford, mull Somerset, their starting hwt played football at Bedford this year. And he said many more going down the pipeline. I doubt people move there to take a job. It’s everywhere and in most top ten AA and AAA programs, so calm down.

Rigglemans and Wharton do not start for CR.

Ok, Sorry they have to start to be considered a transfer, I didn’t realize that was a rule. So the exactly 2 now went to 5-6,,, but they don’t start. I was just making a point that most programs have the kids who move in. Do I think their coach asked them to or recruited any of them,, not at all. In PA this has been going on for 20 plus years

Rigglemans and Wharton do not start for CR.
We are now calling out kids that don't even start?? LOL.

And my guess is that Bassett probably didn't want to make 116 for local dual. I know he has to be pulling some weight to get down there. Really don't even understand why this dual took place, since BM sent every one of their starters out (they had said on Fat Pat's page they wanted duals for the back-up kids)? For how much they talk about chasing competition, I cannot understand the need to compete against teams that graduate like 80-kids per class, with a roster that has more states represented than the original Union of the USA.

...go back earlier to Jerry Maurey of Clearfield who won 4 State titles back when you had to move up a weight each time you won!...

Yes about 4 miles from me. Johnstown area but not in Johnstown school district. Area where school districts meet…Richland/Forest Hills/Windber. This morning when I left for work around 5:00 there was nothing in the way of weather. Didn’t get snow till later in morning and mostly moved out by 2pm or so. I was mostly in Ebensburg working. Didn’t get pounded with snow but roads were slick and snowy till the crews got to work in them.

Ok, Sorry they have to start to be considered a transfer, I didn’t realize that was a rule. So the exactly 2 now went to 5-6,,, but they don’t start. I was just making a point that most programs have the kids who move in. Do I think their coach asked them to or recruited any of them,, not at all. In PA this has been going on for 20 plus years
They have to start to support a narrative that the best teams are cheating to get to the top. Otherwise the data just supports the fact some kids change schools during their wrestling careers.

Yep. They certainly have a co-op for football, not sure about wrestling, or else he'd probably be wrestling for the same school as football. They certainly could use him, and not to slander my own, but I can't blame him for not wanting to wrestle there. He surely wouldn't get any better if he was there. Kid has some talent for sure.

Im not quite sure why ill address your ****ing stupidity, but here i go...

Out of their lineup I bet I know at least 8 of the wrestlers parents. Another, I'm assuming is the coaches son. And the kid from Hyndman doesn't even have a school in his town.

That leaves 3 I don't immediately know. Perhaps I know their mothers, or their parents went to Ridge after I was long gone. My sister might know more, she's 5 years younger than me.

God forbid people take a job in another area or move to get into a fairly good public school. Not everyone chooses to stay put and bang their sister amd cousins like you.

I know others have told you to knock off the stupid accusations or rumors. I'll add to it. Knock it off.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PAgeologist and Ski
They have to start to support a narrative that the best teams are cheating to get to the top. Otherwise the data just supports the fact some kids change schools during their wrestling careers.
Exactly and was my point. Well said Whizzer. The only way the public’s can match them is to play their game, I guess

So what is the backstory on this one--because I don't want to ask Brock, and be told the complete incorrect information. Did I hear divorce, or something along that line? Is this justified, or was the consensus it was athletic driven?
Here's an article on it. It claims academics (specifically smaller class sizes), though we've heard that with others before, so who knows.

Hickory has significantly higher enrollment, but there are more cars ahead of me at the Costco gas station than students at Reynolds.

Reactions: danoftw
Here's an article on it. It claims academics (specifically smaller class sizes), though we've heard that with others before, so who knows.

Hickory has significantly higher enrollment, but there are more cars ahead of me at the Costco gas station than students at Reynolds.

ahhh...the 'academics' excuse, lol. I can only imagine the tears from a certain school about this getting this overturned

Nobody cares on a college wrestling board. I'd rather talk about somebody's recipe or the best place to go in San Diego.

So what is the backstory on this one--because I don't want to ask Brock, and be told the complete incorrect information. Did I hear divorce, or something along that line? Is this justified, or was the consensus it was athletic driven?
I wish I knew more. It’s not good for any kid to sit, but it didn’t hurt Retherford. His family moved and still got ruled ineligible. They still live there. But Zain would tell you, that year he made the most gains and stepped up his training, lifting and freestyle. Louie seems like a nice kid. Reynolds over the years had a few kids find their way there for various reasons. Public schools are forced to play the game to even stand a chance against the privates

Reactions: wrestlingmind
Playing devil's advocate, but if class size is an issue--then I assume he will be changing his commitment from NC State, to a more size-appropriate college like Gannon or Mercyhurst? You know, size class size is important. LOL

Reynolds over the years had a few kids find their way there for various reasons.

One is a starter for us.

That’s amazing. Incredible and great example
I saw Carr wrestle in high school at states. Then up Bloomsburg wearing the famous Iowa State robes. I saw him win 1984? Nationals at the Meadowlands to finish his career
He was stronger than everybody he wrestled.

Last edited:
The PIAA strikes again! Nick Kunstek was ruled ineligible for Post season! Yet, cross district Vince Bouzakis was approved.

What is going on with the PIAA. Honestly it’s losing it credibility and more & more people could careless about it. Each year less and less, D1 coaches attend. It used to be like Super 32 or Ironman with coaches.

Wrestling is an individual sport, let this poor kid wrestle.

Other news out of D10. They approved a few mid season transfers but denied Gill of his appeal. Heard that one is being pushed to an injunction hearing.

PIAA needs to figure out their own rules and apply them the same across the board
“Losing their credibility “ is mild … they lost it years ago with their decision regarding Zains transfer … what right or grounds do they have to make that type of decision when the entire family up and moves 40 or 50 miles away… that was a ridiculously inane decisoon.

It is very safe to say the PIAA and their rules need worked on. The PIAA is looking so bad with their inconsistent usage of the rules. This is just wrestling. I would imagine they are doing the same thing with other sports.

Bethlehem Catholic knocks off Malvern prep in a great match. Crazy results and some very close matchups

I personally think the year end individual state tournament should be open to any kid going to school (non prep) in Pennsylvania. Let the Districts and leagues determine eligibility for individual during regular season.
PIAA should go to 3 brackets for State team tournament. Big Schools, Small Schools and Non Border Schools.

Last edited:
I personally think the year end individual state tournament should be open to any kid going to school (non prep) in Pennsylvania. Let the Districts and leagues determine eligibility for individual during regular season.
PIAA should go to 3 brackets for State team tournament. Big Schools, Small Schools and Non Border Schools.
110%. This would solve all the issues.

This would distort every postseason bracket because of the seeding system.

Let's use Kunstek as an example: he would have zero seeding points (0-0 record and no placement points)
--> seeded last at D11s
--> lowest seeded district champ (3rd) at NE Regionals
--> lowest-seeded regional champ (5th) at states
--> the presumed finals would actually occur in the semis.
--> also it would wreak havoc in consis at each level, with some top seeds getting beaten early and deserving kids not advancing.

Same with Gill -- he'd get placement points only, so he'd be seeded below all non-freshmen starting at sectionals.

The other problem: Districts can determine whether Kunstek or Gill can wrestle at in-season tournaments like Powerade?

This would distort every postseason bracket because of the seeding system.

Let's use Kunstek as an example: he would have zero seeding points (0-0 record and no placement points)
--> seeded last at D11s
--> lowest seeded district champ (3rd) at NE Regionals
--> lowest-seeded regional champ (5th) at states
--> the presumed finals would actually occur in the semis.
--> also it would wreak havoc in consis at each level, with some top seeds getting beaten early and deserving kids not advancing.

Same with Gill -- he'd get placement points only, so he'd be seeded below all non-freshmen starting at sectionals.

The other problem: Districts can determine whether Kunstek or Gill can wrestle at in-season tournaments like Powerade?
I understand that allowing all state eligible kids to compete in individual state tournament would create an unfair early round bracket. I've always had some issue relying on point system to determine seeds. Some common sense could be used not to allow a talented kid to be unseeded. The current system is unfair if a talented freshman or sophomore was injured a majority of the season.
Go back to yesteryear and remember that PIAA allowed Carlton Haselrig to wrestle his senior year in Districts and States after not competing during the year because his school dropped wrestling. As a fan I enjoyed watching him. I'm certain some athletes and parents were not happy with the decision.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT