ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

Nitpick with the article, Hildebrandt did qualify for NCAAs in 2020 by winning the MAC. Didn't get to wrestle but he qualified.

@CSauertiegPSU used to write for VBR ... I imagine they don't use twitter as sources. Wouldn't be shocked if their source is Cael, smoke is strong here.

@CSauertiegPSU used to write for VBR ... I imagine they don't use twitter as sources. Wouldn't be shocked if their source is Cael, smoke is strong here.
You're an excellent poster, McSoreley, but I need to bust your chops for just a moment:

On Nov. 2nd, about Mendez's recruitment, you posted, "I think the smoke says Michigan."

On Nov. 3rd, in a conversation about the likely starters, you posted, "Smoke says Barraclough and Matt Lee will be our 149/165 early."

On July 30th, in a recruiting thread, you posted, "Smoke says Oklahoma State for Bouzakis."

Have you been hearing an irritating little beep? You might need to change the batteries in your smoke detector.

penguins-fan.gif

You're an excellent poster, McSoreley, but I need to bust your chops for just a moment:

On Nov. 2nd, about Mendez's recruitment, you posted, "I think the smoke says Michigan."

On Nov. 3rd, in a conversation about the likely starters, you posted, "Smoke says Barraclough and Matt Lee will be our 149/165 early."

On July 30th, in a recruiting thread, you posted, "Smoke says Oklahoma State for Bouzakis."

Have you been hearing an irritating little beep? You might need to change the batteries in your smoke detector.

Smoke is overrated.

Marinelli has a style that puts his body thru the ringers every match, usually not a lot if easy matches at ncaa championships. Which means his body gets worn down in a 3 day grind.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
‘Would Of’ or ‘Would Have’?
Amelia Zimmermam

May 21, 2020

When people say or write would of, should of, could of or might of, they really mean would have, should have, could have or might have. For example:
✅ I would have been an only child if it weren’t for IVF.
❌ I would of been an only child if it weren’t for IVF.
✅ You should have studied harder for the exam.
❌ You should of studied harder for the exam. (Hope it wasn’t an English exam!)
The conditional perfect, or the type 3 conditional
The conditional perfect is a verb tense that refers to a hypothetical or alternative event or situation in the past. Essentially, it represents a missed opportunity, often hinging on something else happening. Could have, should have and would have are the modal verbs used for the conditional perfect, expressing past occurrences that didn’t happen. For example:
✅ I would have given it to her if she had asked.
✅ I could have run the race, but I decided to wait until my leg was better.
✅ I should have told her; now she’ll never know how I feel.
Why do people mistake would of for would have?
When you say would of instead of would have, you’re substituting the preposition of for the auxiliary verb have, which is grammatically incorrect.
No one told me that there would be grammar!!!!!!!

Reactions: PD4thespawn

This is good, well played 😂 Alas, I pass along what the vibes are as was the case for all those mentions. Don't think I was breaking anything new in those cases. If I ever have legitimate things with real sources, I'll let you know!

‘Would Of’ or ‘Would Have’?
Amelia Zimmermam

May 21, 2020

When people say or write would of, should of, could of or might of, they really mean would have, should have, could have or might have. For example:
✅ I would have been an only child if it weren’t for IVF.
❌ I would of been an only child if it weren’t for IVF.
✅ You should have studied harder for the exam.
❌ You should of studied harder for the exam. (Hope it wasn’t an English exam!)
The conditional perfect, or the type 3 conditional
The conditional perfect is a verb tense that refers to a hypothetical or alternative event or situation in the past. Essentially, it represents a missed opportunity, often hinging on something else happening. Could have, should have and would have are the modal verbs used for the conditional perfect, expressing past occurrences that didn’t happen. For example:
✅ I would have given it to her if she had asked.
✅ I could have run the race, but I decided to wait until my leg was better.
✅ I should have told her; now she’ll never know how I feel.
Why do people mistake would of for would have?
When you say would of instead of would have, you’re substituting the preposition of for the auxiliary verb have, which is grammatically incorrect.
Jesus …. Give it a god damned rest! Don’t they have English & grammar boards for jerks like you!

If it was a one day tournament i would bet on him. But 2 hard matches and making weight a 2nd day i believe is really hard for him.

At this point, thinking Marinelli will score a lot of points at NCAAs is wishful thinking. He’s had ample opportunity to do so and has come up short every single time. Is he really talented? Yes. Is he a really good guy? By all accounts, yes. However, when the spotlight is brightest, he has wilted from the heat.
Fact Check ( I know...facts are for pu$$ies...but..): In 2018 Marinelli scored 12 team points.....starting with 2 pins.....losing to Martinez in the Semis on Friday night 5-2 and finishing 6th. In 2019 Marinelli scored 8 team points....losing to the eventual National Champ 3-1 and finishing 7th. In 2020 he was Big 10 Champ and ranked #1 but there were no NCAAs. In 2021 he scored 4 team points.....winning 2 matches by Major Dec......losing in SV 3-1 to the National Champ and was injured and forfeited out. Do with these facts what you wish :)

Fact Check ( I know...facts are for pu$$ies...but..): In 2018 Marinelli scored 12 team points.....starting with 2 pins.....losing to Martinez in the Semis on Friday night 5-2 and finishing 6th. In 2019 Marinelli scored 8 team points....losing to the eventual National Champ 3-1 and finishing 7th. In 2020 he was Big 10 Champ and ranked #1 but there were no NCAAs. In 2021 he scored 4 team points.....winning 2 matches by Major Dec......losing in SV 3-1 to the National Champ and was injured and forfeited out. Do with these facts what you wish :)
What a loser! A measly 3 time Big 10 champion and 3 time All American with only 1 year left to Fail? Figures. I'm not sure how someone just wilts in the heat like that. Mineo told me Cenzo pretty much just let the Bull win a couple times because he felt sorry for him. Understandable.

I mean, Marinelli loses one OT match to an Oradell, NJ kid last March and just volunteers to quit because of broken ribs? Oranges. Atleast he got his participation ribbon for Moriah's mantle in the Bull-shrine room. Congrats, i guess.

You know, I'm not really sure how any fan could ever endure cheering him on for another year. He's probably a good guy though. Maybe

Last edited:
Fact Check ( I know...facts are for pu$$ies...but..): In 2018 Marinelli scored 12 team points.....starting with 2 pins.....losing to Martinez in the Semis on Friday night 5-2 and finishing 6th. In 2019 Marinelli scored 8 team points....losing to the eventual National Champ 3-1 and finishing 7th. In 2020 he was Big 10 Champ and ranked #1 but there were no NCAAs. In 2021 he scored 4 team points.....winning 2 matches by Major Dec......losing in SV 3-1 to the National Champ and was injured and forfeited out. Do with these facts what
FACT: In every single NCAA tournament in which he competed, Marinelli finished well below his seed. Do with that what you will.

Marinelli is Lucy holding the football and Iowa fans are Charlie Brown running up to try and kick.

What a loser! A measly 3 time Big 10 champion and 3 time All American with only 1 year left to Fail? Figures. I'm not sure how someone just wilts in the heat like that. Mineo told me Cenzo pretty much just let the Bull win a couple times because he felt sorry for him. Understandable.

I mean, Marinelli loses one OT match to an Oradell, NJ kid last March and just volunteers to quit because of broken ribs? Oranges. Atleast he got his participation ribbon for Moriah's mantle in the Bull-shrine room. Congrats, i guess.

You know, I'm not really sure how any fan could ever endure cheering him on for another year. He's probably a good guy though. Maybe
lol well they said he was injured??

In NCAA tournaments, he has scored 12, 8, 4, and ?

Do you notice a trend here?

Back to the topic at hand...where would you rank Hildebrandt right now at 125? 5, 6, 7?

I'll say right at 6, which if Howard is redshirting for medical reasons, represents an enormous upgrade in points at NCAAs.

In NCAA tournaments, he has scored 12, 8, 4, and ?

Do you notice a trend here?
I see that he has scored 24 pts at Nationals in 3 tries. I see that 1 season ended after 3 matches due to injury. If you are suggesting that Alex will score less than 4 pts. at this year's NCAAs......I will accept any wager you would like to make. Proceeds go to Wrestling for Life.

Reactions: slushhead
I'll tell you this: I wish we could get some more Cenzo/Marnielli matches lined up somehow--some of the most fun matches to watch ever. If you agree w/ me that having a heart attack is fun, anyway.

I'm excited to see what Drew can do, assuming this is truly official. Haven't seen enough of his matches to have a sense for what kind of bonus potential he has, but he'll have a great chance to qualify in a loaded B1G class, and I don't think any of our other options this year can do that. From there, it's up the him (and Cael's conditioning schedule, etc).

I'll tell you this: I wish we could get some more Cenzo/Marnielli matches lined up somehow--some of the most fun matches to watch ever. If you agree w/ me that having a heart attack is fun, anyway.

I'm excited to see what Drew can do, assuming this is truly official. Haven't seen enough of his matches to have a sense for what kind of bonus potential he has, but he'll have a great chance to qualify in a loaded B1G class, and I don't think any of our other options this year can do that. From there, it's up the him (and Cael's conditioning schedule, etc).
Some bonus potential but I wouldn't get hopes too high. He'll probably improve some in the PSU room, but at this point he's mostly what he will be. He doesn't shoot much, and while he does pin some guys with the power half, that rarely works against better wrestlers unless you're Zain or facing Micah Jordan.

I don't see him as the type to play takedown tournament to get bonus, because he doesn't shoot much in the first place.

I do think he can be anywhere from 2nd to 5th at B10s. Working with RBY and Gilman, hopefully closer to 2nd.

FACT: In every single NCAA tournament in which he competed, Marinelli finished well below his seed. Do with that what you will.

Marinelli is Lucy holding the football and Iowa fans are Charlie Brown running up to try and kick.
Since you’ve been pretty focused on predicting things lately . . . what do you predict to be Marinelli’s place-finish at Nationals this season?

I see that he has scored 24 pts at Nationals in 3 tries. I see that 1 season ended after 3 matches due to injury. If you are suggesting that Alex will score less than 4 pts. at this year's NCAAs......I will accept any wager you would like to make. Proceeds go to Wrestling for Life.

I see a guy who is laser focused when he's winning. And the wheels fall off when he doesn't.

Reactions: NittanyChris

I think Marinelli is a terrific wrestler, and I am a PSU fan.

I’ll just say lower than his seed and leave it at that.
You talked a big game about him wilting under heat and saying that scoring a lot of points is wishful thinking, but you wimp out on predicting his place-finish? Predictable.

Your leaving it at “below seed” does little to support the contention he will not score many points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT