ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

just finished WK 2 Crystal Ball. it has PSU by 12 (143-131) rn.

that said, a lot of moving parts. and i had a good idea Hildebrandt was going to PSU so i already had his pts in.

i was / am bullish on Bartlett and Joe Lee. but i also hav RBY 2nd and Beard 8th.

for Iowa I probably have Murin and Young at their floor but am bullish on Assad (6th).

all in all, it looks like there's real intrigue in the team race this year. more so than last year. and i don't see any other school approaching triple digits.
i don't think anything you predicted was crazy by any stretch, but you definitely predicted Iowa closer to their floor and PSU closer to their ceiling. Definitely bullish on Bartlett and Lee (again not crazy), but I also think you're quite bullish on Hildebrandt too. You have him repeating as 4th, which doesn't sound crazy, but that's his ceiling given who's coming back and already includes him finishing higher than 2 guys who finished higher than him last year. When you look at that weight, everybody from 4-16 can beat each other, so he could just as easily not place as take 4th (and he has multiple losses to guys you have off the podium). some on here might assume he'll get a psu room bump, but we haven't seen that with transfers here so far.

with this being said, predicting psu to finish close to their ceiling is a pretty historically sound prediction. it should be a super competitive race.

Marinelli is a stud and a legit #1 through early March.

I will stand by my assessment his body breaks down during the big show, and he will never be a champ. I think wilting is not the most appropriate term, but I also think if he were in our room Cael would have had him in "optimal" condition for the rigors of nationals. We see it every single year from our PSU guys.

If Carter weren't in his way I also think Marinelli would be better served in March at 174 with a lesser cut.
I've always thought this was way overthinking it. The simpler, more obvious answer is that Marinelli has a stylistic weakness that has been exploited in the specific match ups he's run into. He is not a great finisher if he doesn't blow through you. Lewis and Griffith were able to extend scrambles and force stalemates until Marinelli took a bad shot late in the match and got countered. I don't think you can say his body breaks down 2 matches into a tournament when we've seen him win big tens 3 times and midlands multiple times.

You talked a big game about him wilting under heat and saying that scoring a lot of points is wishful thinking, but you wimp out on predicting his place-finish? Predictable.

Your leaving it at “below seed” does little to support the contention he will not score many points.
Fairly aggressive on your part. Apparently I’ve touched a hot button for you. The important part is he will continue to disappoint In terms of finishing below seed. If the wilting under the heat term is especially upsetting to you, so be it. I think you’ll be ok.

Fairly aggressive on your part. Apparently I’ve touched a hot button for you. The important part is he will continue to disappoint In terms of finishing below seed. If the wilting under the heat term is especially upsetting to you, so be it. I think you’ll be ok.
Correction — the important part is that your chest-puffing got the best of you again and, when called out on it, you attempted to move goal posts and play psychotherapist in your defense instead of just acknowledging the bad, derogatory take.

Marinelli is all class, works his butt off, and has had some seriously tough luck. No wilting going on, and I am betting he scores 15+ this season.

Correction — the important part is that your chest-puffing got the best of you again and, when called out on it, you attempted to move goal posts and play psychotherapist in your defense instead of just acknowledging the bad, derogatory take.

Marinelli is all class, works his butt off, and has had some seriously tough luck. No wilting going on, and I am betting he scores 15+ this season.
Some people here (not you) aspiring to make Message Board Geniuses.

I sincerely hope you’re less angry in your life than you are on internet message boards.

I stand by my assertion that Marinelli will disappoint at NCAAs and that’s all that matters.

Some people here (not you) aspiring to make Message Board Geniuses.
Love ya El Jefe, but it certainly doesn’t take a genius to notice Marinelli’s underperformance at NCAAs. I get it that he’s a good guy, but that doesn’t change this fact.

i don't think anything you predicted was crazy by any stretch, but you definitely predicted Iowa closer to their floor and PSU closer to their ceiling. Definitely bullish on Bartlett and Lee (again not crazy), but I also think you're quite bullish on Hildebrandt too. You have him repeating as 4th, which doesn't sound crazy, but that's his ceiling given who's coming back and already includes him finishing higher than 2 guys who finished higher than him last year. When you look at that weight, everybody from 4-16 can beat each other, so he could just as easily not place as take 4th (and he has multiple losses to guys you have off the podium). some on here might assume he'll get a psu room bump, but we haven't seen that with transfers here so far.

with this being said, predicting psu to finish close to their ceiling is a pretty historically sound prediction. it should be a super competitive race.
fair enough. but i also have RBY 2nd and Abe higher than anyone in the country.

there will be some changes to PSU's lineup and prognostications coming next week based on new info.

Love ya El Jefe, but it certainly doesn’t take a genius to notice Marinelli’s underperformance at NCAAs. I get it that he’s a good guy, but that doesn’t change this fact.
I have no idea if Marinelli is a good guy or not, and frankly it's irrelevant here.

I do know that you've twice said he "wilted from the heat," which means you think he's mentally soft. I'd like to see what evidence you have of that. Guessing none, because both times when called on it, you reverted back to "he underperformed."

BTW, that's demeaning to Shane Griffith, Mehki Lewis, and Chance Marsteller: he lost to them because he's mentally soft.

Getting back on point…if Hildebrandt is enrolled at PSU (world campus is online school I think) why no announcement yet? Does anyone know if online credits..if he had enough, could make him eligible this semester?

This is a big difference from what started the conversation though in terms of speculation about team scores +Hildebrandt.

Marinelli could be seeded first, “underperform” by getting 3rd and still score 15 more points than he did in 2021.

Reactions: Sten_Analoot
I have no idea if Marinelli is a good guy or not, and frankly it's irrelevant here.

I do know that you've twice said he "wilted from the heat," which means you think he's mentally soft. I'd like to see what evidence you have of that. Guessing none, because both times when called on it, you reverted back to "he underperformed."

BTW, that's demeaning to Shane Griffith, Mehki Lewis, and Chance Marsteller: he lost to them because he's mentally soft.
You’re asking for evidence that is impossible to prove EITHER way. This is my final post on this because this thread was about Hildebrandt and it should return there.

If someone is seeded 2nd and finishes 4th, for example, that IS underperforming to seed. That’s indisputable. If you’d like to try to find a justification for that, that is your prerogative. I stand by my statement: Marinelli has consistently underperformed his seed at NCAAs.

That’s all for me. Moving on now.

WE ARE!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Sten_Analoot
You talked a big game about him wilting under heat and saying that scoring a lot of points is wishful thinking, but you wimp out on predicting his place-finish? Predictable.

Your leaving it at “below seed” does little to support the contention he will not score many points.
Giving Marinelli's history, I don't see how he's wrong. It's up to Marinelli to prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: Rocky_Smith
fair enough. but i also have RBY 2nd and Abe higher than anyone in the country.

there will be some changes to PSU's lineup and prognostications coming next week based on new info.
probably too high on Abe haha. that makes two of us. still can't score. maybe myles wilson is the answer at 184

probably too high on Abe haha. that makes two of us. still can't score. maybe myles wilson is the answer at 184
Didn't expect him to lose to a high schooler but have to consider he was severely injured and took a lot of time off. That being said, I thought it was kind of a leap to assume he'd beat out Nelson for the spot. Nelson did place 4th at Big Tens last year, which indicates AA potential IMO. Unfortunately for Nelson he's just not big enough for 184.

Just looking at Marinelli's match history, I see only one match, maybe two, where his head probably wasn't in it, and that's the major to Evan Wick he gave up at the 2018 NCAAs, his RSFR year. He'd wrestled IMar tough that same tournament and gave up a fall to McFadden but I recall him being in that match before getting cradled. But again, it was his RS freshman year. He was seeded fifth, finished sixth.

His soph year he lost a close one to Mekhi Lewis in the quarters, who wound up beating everyone at 165. Marinelli got as close as anyone did to Lewis that tournament. Then he lost to Chance on the back side and didn't place. A disappointing finish but his only losses were to guys as talented as him.

His junior year he only lost to Cenzo, avenged that loss at the B1Gs, and then Covid wiped the year out.

His senior year he lost again to the eventual champion, this time Shane Griffith, in SV, then MFF'd out.

This isn't the track record of someone who's mentally weak. He's avenged losses to Cenzo, McFadden, and Wick over his career. At the NCAAs he's lost twice as a 1 seed in the quarters, but those losses would look different if those 8 seeds hadn't then gone onto win. His worst tournament, arguably, was the one he AA'd in as a freshman. Since then he's been in every match and won some pretty big ones. When I think of a talented but mentally weak wrestler, I think of someone who too-occasionally loses to someone they definitely shouldn't have, or gets blown out by someone on his level who'd gotten into his head, and Marinelli doesn't have any of those losses. It's fair to say he's not reached his potential but there's nothing to suggest he's ever "wilted."

Just looking at Marinelli's match history, I see only one match, maybe two, where his head probably wasn't in it, and that's the major to Evan Wick he gave up at the 2018 NCAAs, his RSFR year. He'd wrestled IMar tough that same tournament and gave up a fall to McFadden but I recall him being in that match before getting cradled. But again, it was his RS freshman year. He was seeded fifth, finished sixth.

His soph year he lost a close one to Mekhi Lewis in the quarters, who wound up beating everyone at 165. Marinelli got as close as anyone did to Lewis that tournament. Then he lost to Chance on the back side and didn't place. A disappointing finish but his only losses were to guys as talented as him.

His junior year he only lost to Cenzo, avenged that loss at the B1Gs, and then Covid wiped the year out.

His senior year he lost again to the eventual champion, this time Shane Griffith, in SV, then MFF'd out.

This isn't the track record of someone who's mentally weak. He's avenged losses to Cenzo, McFadden, and Wick over his career. At the NCAAs he's lost twice as a 1 seed in the quarters, but those losses would look different if those 8 seeds hadn't then gone onto win. His worst tournament, arguably, was the one he AA'd in as a freshman. Since then he's been in every match and won some pretty big ones. When I think of a talented but mentally weak wrestler, I think of someone who too-occasionally loses to someone they definitely shouldn't have, or gets blown out by someone on his level who'd gotten into his head, and Marinelli doesn't have any of those losses. It's fair to say he's not reached his potential but there's nothing to suggest he's ever "wilted."
Amen. Post of the week right here.

He lost to Imar on Friday night? That can't be. It has already been established that he always loses on Friday morning. Unless??? Naah :)

Reactions: tikk10

I love it when you use so many words. 😉

CHAMPIONS MAKE THERE OWN LUCK DONT MAKE EXCUSES FOR HIM!HIGHEST PLACE 6TH GET SERIOUS!!

Marinelli is a kid who has lost a few heartbreakers and since he is an Iowa wrestler we get some enjoyment watching a close competitor not fulfill their promise. It also helps that it causes HR to lose what little minds they collectively have.

With that acknowledged, it would not surprise anybody who knows anything about wrestling if the kid won a title this year. If that outcome came to fruition many of us on here would smile for the kid and even more would openly congratulate him.

However, with mounting attempts to win that desired title meeting failure it would not surprise anybody if he tightened up and lost another heartbreaker. I admit I would smile at that outcome also since the Nits winning may require Marinelli underperformed again and HR would implode and do that eat their own thing they excell at.

Marinelli is generally a fun kid to watch wrestle. He goes hard, non-stop and with a sense of class and respect for the sport and his opponent.

Reactions: 1AA and slushhead
Marinelli is a kid who has lost a few heartbreakers and since he is an Iowa wrestler we get some enjoyment watching a close competitor not fulfill their promise. It also helps that it causes HR to lose what little minds they collectively have.

With that acknowledged, it would not surprise anybody who knows anything about wrestling if the kid won a title this year. If that outcome came to fruition many of us on here would smile for the kid and even more would openly congratulate him.

However, with mounting attempts to win that desired title meeting failure it would not surprise anybody if he tightened up and lost another heartbreaker. I admit I would smile at that outcome also since the Nits winning may require Marinelli underperformed again and HR would implode and do that eat their own thing they excell at.

Marinelli is generally a fun kid to watch wrestle. He goes hard, non-stop and with a sense of class and respect for the sport and his opponent.
This^^^^

I repeatedly find myself in the difficult position of having a favorite team while having a great amount of respect for an athlete of a rival. No doubt that I want ‘my‘ team to win, but if I can have my cake and it eat it too, the win will not require the respected rival to lose. If I have to choose, I pretty much side with ‘my’ team, but the least I can do is remain respectful of the rival.

I see fans get too caught up in their disdain for other fans, and unfair things are said about one another’s athletes when the real target is the other fans. It is unfortunate and misguided. And silly.

What is it the kids say nowadays? “Be better?”

Just curious: Who has Marinelli beat that was seeded higher than him in the NCAA?

Getting back on point…if Hildebrandt is enrolled at PSU (world campus is online school I think) why no announcement yet? Does anyone know if online credits..if he had enough, could make him eligible this semester?
Wow…. someone is going to ‘talk about’ Hildebrandt in a thread entitled Hildebrandt. These threads that start out with a specific topic and then devolve into a cornucopia of anything but the original topic are freaking annoying when you see there are new responses only to open the damn thing up and see just a bunch of ‘non topic’ responses.

Considering the last two NCAAs he was seeded first, I hope this is a less than serious question.
Well seeing how Marinelli was the 1 seed twice, this is kind of an unfair assessment
Not really. Marinelli has had multiple seasons (including last year) and opportunities. Someone mentioned his freshman year... well Joseph beat a higher seed and won the NT his freshman year (so did Lewis and etc.) And so far, none has disproved "NittanChris'" assertion.

Wow…. someone is going to ‘talk about’ Hildebrandt in a thread entitled Hildebrandt. These threads that start out with a specific topic and then devolve into a cornucopia of anything but the original topic are freaking annoying when you see there are new responses only to open the damn thing up and see just a bunch of ‘non topic’ responses.
Back to Hildebrandt. He finished 4th last year, but the Ivies are back so that means Glory and Arujau are ahead of him. He lost a tight one to McKee (#5) and beat Teske (#6) in a close one so that means he probably falls right around 5-7 and is a solid All-American. That is a huge upgrade from a likely non-qualifier (If Howard is unavailable).

Back to Hildebrandt. He finished 4th last year, but the Ivies are back so that means Glory and Arujau are ahead of him. He lost a tight one to McKee (#5) and beat Teske (#6) in a close one so that means he probably falls right around 5-7 and is a solid All-American. That is a huge upgrade from a likely non-qualifier (If Howard is unavailable).
Definitely not a guarantee to AA but having someone there that can would be huge.

You’re asking for evidence that is impossible to prove EITHER way. This is my final post on this because this thread was about Hildebrandt and it should return there.

If someone is seeded 2nd and finishes 4th, for example, that IS underperforming to seed. That’s indisputable. If you’d like to try to find a justification for that, that is your prerogative. I stand by my statement: Marinelli has consistently underperformed his seed at NCAAs.

That’s all for me. Moving on now.

WE ARE!!!
HE HAS WILTED FROM THE HEAT!

If Marinelli wrestled for our fan base, he would be a fan favorite because of his toughness and drive. His losses and short comings would be looked at different. He's good but has run into some hot wrestlers in the NCAAs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT