ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

Michigan now sounding like the favorite for Suriano coming out of nowhere. He goes 133. They could make a run at the title as well. If he does end up at there that would be a crazy too three with psu, iowa, mich. Any of those three could easily win a title any other year.
Michigan does not win wrestling, nor football championships.

Just saying.

Possible dumb question. But there are a few of "Me" running around the country with the same Scottish first name and Italian last name. Do we know that this isn't just a kid from Coalport or Scranton, that likes to hunt, fish, and 4 wheel, with the same name?

Possible dumb question. But there are a few of "Me" running around the country with the same Scottish first name and Italian last name. Do we know that this isn't just a kid from Coalport or Scranton, that likes to hunt, fish, and 4 wheel, with the same name?
I didn't know Soo was Italian.

Willie gave his Crystal Ball prediction, so I won't go thru weight-by-weight.

Rather will re-package what I said in the other thread:
- Last year PSU lost to Iowa by 15.5 pts
- Hildebrandt was +11 pts over Howard
- Willie predicts Bartlett 3rd --> +13.5 pts (that's what last year's 3rd scored)
--> PSU would've outscored Iowa by 9 pts

Caveats:
- Hildebrandt likely won't finish 4th again, with Glory and Arujau returning.
- No way Kerk finishes 7th again -- that would offset Hildebrandt scoring less.
- Can't count on Marinelli getting injured at nationals again. Last year he scored only 4 pts. If he reaches the finals, that's a problem for us.
- Risky to assume all 4 champs will successfully defend their titles. (Hopefully they do!) Each 2nd place costs us 4 pts.
--> We will need Joe Lee to at least match Berge last year, and need more points from 165 and 197.

Bottom line: national title is very feasible, but not a given. Chris' "slight favorite" comment above seems about r

still waiting for marinelli to do anything at nationals so dont expect much if he loses maybe he will quit again!!

Will Hildebrandt only be eligible in the spring semester (January)? Anyone know?

Will Hildebrandt only be eligible in the spring semester (January)? Anyone know?
If he's enrolled and taking a full course load, he can wrestle by NCAA rule. Haven't heard whether there's conference or university stipulations that would prevent it if he joins the team. I know it looks good, but patience is needed. Hopeful for sure, but time will tell.

And this will give Howard the time to fully recover. Win, win for me.
I have very high hopes for Robbie if he can stay healthy ... which with 18 months off, he should be able to. He was right there with AA's (Lamont/Barnett) with basically a month of work. Keep in mind he was considered pretty raw offensively coming out of HS and his talent was supposedly his scrambling abilities and wrestling sense. He's going to be great.

Yay, not many times Coalport is mentioned. Emojis not working for me but THUMBS UP !!!

Reactions: TangSoo and mjmirv
just finished WK 2 Crystal Ball. it has PSU by 12 (143-131) rn.

that said, a lot of moving parts. and i had a good idea Hildebrandt was going to PSU so i already had his pts in.

i was / am bullish on Bartlett and Joe Lee. but i also hav RBY 2nd and Beard 8th.

for Iowa I probably have Murin and Young at their floor but am bullish on Assad (6th).

all in all, it looks like there's real intrigue in the team race this year. more so than last year. and i don't see any other school approaching triple digits.

At the risk of pissing off Housier Lion, if Joe doesn't wrestle better Bearclaw could take his spot. I still think he has a high ceiling, but jeepers, I'm pretty sure Casey wasn't coaching him to wrestle that way.

The bottom line me, we have a lot of quality wrestlers at 157/165. Whoever wins those 2 spots will easily cover the 3 pts earned in St Louis, IMO

Reactions: lionlover
At the risk of pissing off Housier Lion, if Joe doesn't wrestle better Bearclaw could take his spot. I still think he has a high ceiling, but jeepers, I'm pretty sure Casey wasn't coaching him to wrestle that way.

The bottom line me, we have a lot of quality wrestlers at 157/165. Whoever wins those 2 spots will easily cover the 3 pts earned in St Louis, IMO

Interesting that the roster has Bearckaw listed only at 149. If accurate it would seem he is not a serious contender for 157. I like his chops, but with Bartlett and SVN @ 149 the only reason to keep him down there is for injury insurance for Beau which also seems reasonable. Then again, he is probably not a long term threat to Joe at 157. It could be Joe's decent is still a work in progress and an undersized Bearclaw will stand in for a while.

Interesting that the roster has Bearckaw listed only at 149. If accurate it would seem he is not a serious contender for 157. I like his chops, but with Bartlett and SVN @ 149 the only reason to keep him down there is for injury insurance for Beau which also seems reasonable. Then again, he is probably not a long term threat to Joe at 157. It could be Joe's decent is still a work in progress and an undersized Bearclaw will stand in for a while.
PSU is not exactly known for prompt and accurate roster updates. The roster had Cenzo at 149 when he pinned Martinez.

Joe could miss the podium and still provide valuable points. 2019-2020 showed he has the right mentality for points scoring ... he pinned Zach Hartman and Connor Flynn, both R16 level guys. Teched the Air Force 165 at Southern Scuffle in 1 period (when that dude almost never gives up bonus)

Joe could go R12 but if he picks up 2 pins along the way, that's podium points. Every point matters this year. As some said, he might be able to horse around 157s if he can handle the cut right.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and jack66
Joe could miss the podium and still provide valuable points. 2019-2020 showed he has the right mentality for points scoring ... he pinned Zach Hartman and Connor Flynn, both R16 level guys. Teched the Air Force 165 at Southern Scuffle in 1 period (when that dude almost never gives up bonus)

Joe could go R12 but if he picks up 2 pins along the way, that's podium points. Every point matters this year. As some said, he might be able to horse around 157s if he can handle the cut right.
I think we are clearly better at 25,49, 97. For me, Joe Lee is the big unknown. Given Nick’s success, I have pretty high expectations ( maybe unfair). 65: Facundo will be great if he stays healthy, but will he be a big scorer in his first year.

If Joe is actively developing through the process he is more than a Rd of 12 guy. If something is blocking that development then I would expect a performance similar to last year versus a championship point scorer.

Jake Kemerer had a tough time developing through the PSU process.

I think we are clearly better at 25, 49, 97. For me, Joe Lee is the big unknown. Given Nick’s success, I have pretty high expectations ( maybe unfair). 65: Facundo will be great if he stays healthy, but will he be a big scorer in his first year.

Oh contrar, I think we are 'markedly' better at 125 (premature but most likely), 149, 165, 197, and Hwt. Last year's recovering Kirk is not the same beast that we will see this year.

157 could be a wash given Berge's early exit with the outside shot at an upside suprize.

I doubt we will see the same 4 champs, but 4 champs is certainly in play, and I definitely see more bonus across the full lineup to offset any loss here.

Iowa points will come down with both the rise of PSU in the weights above plus the inclusion of the Ivy teams.

Our biggest risk is tied to injury or Covid, but the same can be said of everyone else's team on this front.

I tend to doubt both PSU and Iowa hit the tourney with all 20 starters in the lineup at 100% full strength unfortunately.

Every tournament will be different. Throw last years out the window.

Iowa fans want to just tack on points for Marinelli and say PSU won't repeat 4 champs and call that the gap. That's assuming everything else plays the same, which we should by now will absolutely not be the case.

Every tournament will be different. Throw last years out the window.

Iowa fans want to just tack on points for Marinelli and say PSU won't repeat 4 champs and call that the gap. That's assuming everything else plays the same, which we should by now will absolutely not be the case.
you really can't blame them for thinking Marinelli scores 10+ more and PSU does not get 4 champs (remember last time PSU had 3-4 repeat champs? - it is F'n hard to repeat)

you really can't blame them for thinking Marinelli scores 10+ more and PSU does not get 4 champs (remember last time PSU had 3-4 repeat champs? - it is F'n hard to repeat)
At this point, thinking Marinelli will score a lot of points at NCAAs is wishful thinking. He’s had ample opportunity to do so and has come up short every single time. Is he really talented? Yes. Is he a really good guy? By all accounts, yes. However, when the spotlight is brightest, he has wilted from the heat.

When was the last time they were right about anything when it involved correctly evaluating PSU.
If HR says PSU won't have 4 champs again that is almost a guarantee the Lions collect 4 or more.
If HR insists Marinelli is a definite champion that almost guarantees Marinelli goes undefeated, some how gets the first seed, and Facundo enters the tournament as the 8th seed, beats Marinelli in the quarters and Saturday night is PSU's 5th champ.

Reactions: WeARE and Str8DBLz
If he's enrolled and taking a full course load, he can wrestle by NCAA rule. Haven't heard whether there's conference or university stipulations that would prevent it if he joins the team. I know it looks good, but patience is needed. Hopeful for sure, but time will tell.
My guess is that he might be enrolled (or getting enrolled) for the spring semester. Registration is occurring right now for spring 2022 at Penn State. Otherwise, we may have heard about his transfer earlier if he is enrolled for the current (fall) semester. If so, I'm not sure what the regulations are about him being in the practice room prior to December 10th (the end of classes).

At this point, thinking Marinelli will score a lot of points at NCAAs is wishful thinking. He’s had ample opportunity to do so and has come up short every single time. Is he really talented? Yes. Is he a really good guy? By all accounts, yes. However, when the spotlight is brightest, he has wilted from the heat.
Wilted from the heat? Great god what a terrible take.

Morgan McIntosh underperformed to his seed in his entire college career. You ready to say he wilted from the heat?

Okay well we scored 4.5 at 4 weights last year. Want to assume that'll stay the same this year? Yes, our champs maybe "overachieved" but we weren't nearly as deep last year.

Reactions: Sten_Analoot
Wilted from the heat? Great god what a terrible take.

Morgan McIntosh underperformed to his seed in his entire college career. You ready to say he wilted from the heat?
You can’t argue with the results. He’s come short of expectations every single season. Have expectations been too high? That’s a different argument entirely.

not sure what you’d call “a lot,” but the post you quoted said “+10.” He did score 9 more in 2018 than he did in 2021.

Reactions: Sten_Analoot
We'd have to expect Marinelli to score more points this year. Overall though, their point total is not exactly a moving target. How much are guys going to improve their 5th or 6th year in the room? Once the Brands teach the spiral ride, collar ties, and pushing forward from neutral, what else have they got? ;)

I figure that with a deeper field at NCAAs they'll be right around the same score as last year.

We OTOH, with a slew of guys going into their 2nd or 3rd year, have a lot of upside, IMO. It's up to our guys to use their year experience and improve enough to meet them right around 130-135 ... 1st to 140 wins.

125 - +8
149 - +10
157 - +3
165 - +7
197 - +4
285 - +5 = +37

113.5 +37 = 150.5 (enough room for a couple of champs to fall short of repeating)

Wilted from the heat? Terrible take

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT