ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Nebraska

He could accuse them of being steroid taking, cheating, child abuse supporting failures of human beings. He just said they could be better sports- not a big deal in the scope of things.
Don’t lump me in with the crazy’s that post that garbage on HR. I’ve never accused Penn St of any wrongdoing. I’m actually very jealous of the program Cael has built. He’s better than the Brands. Just hate when winning isn’t enough for some fans and they aren’t happy unless they are bashing another program.

Don’t lump me in with the crazy’s that post that garbage on HR. I’ve never accused Penn St of any wrongdoing. I’m actually very jealous of the program Cael has built. He’s better than the Brands. Just hate when winning isn’t enough for some fans and they aren’t happy unless they are bashing another program.
I’ll ask the same as you just did, don’t lump me in with people that just post garbage about Iowa. Or at least offer proof.

Lots of teams (all but one?), are able to muster the strength to pull it off flawlessly.
I fail to see how it’s disrespectful. There’s a handshake right after every match. It would be different in my eyes if this were a one off situation- then maybe you question it….

It’s just more outrage for a society that craves virtue signaling.

Reactions: Rick Sanchez
He could accuse them of being steroid taking, cheating, child abuse supporting failures of human beings. He just said they could be better sports- not a big deal in the scope of things.
Lol this is ridiculous and a product of the shit posts on HR. Not a reflection of most fans or the program. But you know that….

T & T realize that Spencer is the head coach following his next knee injury and inability to compete much internationally in <5 years

Reactions: danoftw
I fail to see how it’s disrespectful. There’s a handshake right after every match. It would be different in my eyes if this were a one off situation- then maybe you question it….

How about because it is tradition, not just some new virtue signaling thing. Also the sport has an individual and a team aspect. So shake as an individual then as a team at the end….

T & T realize that Spencer is the head coach following his next knee injury and inability to compete much internationally in <5 years
Why would you say something like that about Spencer? More trash and yes I realize i’m on your board but this is an iowa thread.

Yes. All those virtue signalling college wrestling coaches...

How about because it is tradition, not just some new virtue signaling thing. Also the sport has an individual and a team aspect. So shake as an individual then as a team at the end….
You guys are the virtue signalers. Again there is literally nothing good that can come from it- i’ve been in the dumb handshake lines and even back then it was just a recipe for disaster.

Yes. All those virtue signalling college wrestling coaches...
I’m talking about the posters on here throwing their hands up like it’s some calculated thing to disrespect nebraska. It’s not and I think we did enough of that on the mat yesterday.

Keep in mind that we only found out about the refusal to shake hands and the other stuff that happened last night because folks were discussing it on HR.
I think the fact that it (referring to not shaking hands) hasn't been discussed (or even really known) by the wrestling world at large until now despite being the policy all season long shows that its not as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the policy, but at the end of the day, is it a huge deal with massive importance?

Reactions: zzs006
Why would you say something like that about Spencer? More trash and yes I realize i’m on your board but this is an iowa thread.
Yeah, I hope Spencer can be healthy, just a prediction based on history . Stay well Spencer , n I think he replaces Brands. That’s all

Fair. It’s been ongoing and yours was the most recent to comment so that’s why I responded. My bad.
I know you already said you were sorry, kinda, but also, as more proof, I believe my first post in this thread was how Nebby should have lost a team point after the Warner match for a head gear toss. Not piling on, just remembered my posts.

Reactions: jmadden1998
I think much of the sportsmanship policing can still be traced back to the crazies. Some are old enough to remember all the “we do it the right way” talk. And all of the “Carl is a scumbag” talk. Don’t take it personally, we know you weren’t one of them — but some fans who remember are going to dish back when the opportunies arise, regardless of PSU’s stature at the moment.

Plus, for some of us, it is now a paying job. Gotta keep those payments rolling in.

I’m talking about the posters on here throwing their hands up like it’s some calculated thing to disrespect nebraska. It’s not and I think we did enough of that on the mat yesterday.
Nope, my intent was showing my opionion it is a disrespect room towards all teams. Same as when Terry (I think) did it at the BJC match a few years ago.

And again, teams manage to shake hands all the time with no bad things happening. And if PSU did it I would be very upset with them. Or if they did anything in the handshake line.

I think much of the sportsmanship policing can still be traced back to the crazies. Some are old enough to remember all the “we do it the right way” talk. And all of the “Carl is a scumbag” talk. Don’t take it personally, we know you weren’t one of them — but some fans who remember are going to dish back when the opportunies arise, regardless of PSU’s stature at the moment.

Plus, for some of us, it is now a paying job. Gotta keep those payments rolling in.
Maybe TnT are paying me….

You guys are the virtue signalers. Again there is literally nothing good that can come from it- i’ve been in the dumb handshake lines and even back then it was just a recipe for disaster.
I was in a fair share of handshake lines,
too — and despite my maturity level now, I was mature enough back then to not only understand but also accept why they were an established practice. I’m glad they existed, and I still do.

Maybe TnT are paying me….

hows-that-working-out-for-you-jackie.gif

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Seen punches thrown in the handshake line from Pop Warner to college. Ya never went through the line with your helmet off. I guess the equivalent in wrestling is to keep your head gear buttoned up lol

Reactions: NCHawk55
Supposedly Iowa never shook hands with Nebraska after the meet. And also now Brands announced that is their new policy. I have not confirmed, but if so that is bush league BS and bad sportsmanship. IMHO
Glad to see there are adults running the room.

You know, our society yammers on a lot about the values that sport teaches. I happen to believe that the most important value it teaches is how to lose, and win, gracefully. Leave it to the pygmies to **** that up.

In war, resolution.
In defeat, defiance.
In victory, magnanimity.
In peace, good will.

Reactions: Fatmarc and danoftw

Dont forget the handshake during introductions, oh AND the handshake right before the whistle. Listen man, we are fine with your coaches decision to eliminate this tradition, Im sure it will attract the very type of HS wrestlers you are looking for.

I was brought up to show respect to every human that shows it too me and raised my two sons in the same way and IMO the single most outgoing, honest, respectful way to do that is too shake a mans hand.

Too each his own.

Dont forget the handshake during introductions, oh AND the handshake right before the whistle. Listen man, we are fine with your coaches decision to eliminate this tradition, Im sure it will attract the very type of HS wrestlers you are looking for.

I was brought up to show respect to every human that shows it too me and raised my two sons in the same way and IMO the single most outgoing, honest, respectful way to do that is too shake a mans hand.

Too each his own.
…otherwise, it’s just bread and circuses.

I don’t think it’s a reasonable position to say cancelling the post-competition team handshake is a nothing burger.

Basically every sport at every level has something of the sort and the Pistons leaving the 1991 Eastern Conference finals without shaking the Bulls’ hands was a big enough deal to make the Last Dance, Bad Boys, the Dream Team and, by some accounts, keep a star player out of the Olympics. There still is bad blood about it 30 years later.

Displaying sportsmanship matters to a lot of people.

I don’t think it’s a reasonable position to say cancelling the post-competition team handshake is a nothing burger.

Basically every sport at every level has something of the sort and the Pistons leaving the 1991 Eastern Conference finals without shaking the Bulls’ hands was a big enough deal to make the Last Dance, Bad Boys, the Dream Team and, by some accounts, keep a star player out of the Olympics. There still is bad blood about it 30 years later.

Displaying sportsmanship matters to a lot of people.
And the difference between adults (like 2 hockey players who just fought like hell in game 7 yet have the mutual respect to shake hands win or lose after the series) and college KIDS.

Brands would rather just say “nah, we’re just not gonna do it anymore” than take the time to actually teach the kids that its the respectful thing too do.

individually there are handshakes. Then there is the team venue at the end...

individually there are handshakes. Then there is the team venue at the end...
In football… the first thing you see after a game is the head coaches beeline to one another to shake hands. Tell me, defenders, with all the pre-dual, pre-match and post-match handshakes you cite, when do the coaches shake hands? Or is it not important for the coaches to display sportsmanship?

Reactions: IAROY

shake hands at end of match that's just how it is,well not in iowa!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT