ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Nebraska

Hey at one time there was thought that the wrestlers could shake hands before the match, but only if masked. Pure genious.

Why are we so critical of Iowa's inability to control their team with class in victory. All teams do this. The attached video doesn't reveal a pattern, or does it?

I am sure a lot of thought went into this policy by some brilliant administrators. You don't think they would let the decision for something so important as this, left up to the Brands'?

Reactions: danoftw
No, been a Braves fan since the Dale Murphy days. Not an NBA fan. Islanders in the NHL
Bandwagon jumper.

main-qimg-e42a00b23feb13c843dd1a7eafbe84f1-lq

Reactions: danoftw and PASLP2
I fail to see how it’s disrespectful. There’s a handshake right after every match. It would be different in my eyes if this were a one off situation- then maybe you question it….

It’s just more outrage for a society that craves virtue signaling.
can anyone see a team loss in the Stanley Cup and not form the handshake line? think about it. Fighting in this spot is just a little timeout. only in Iowa

Reactions: Fatmarc
Loved when Brands signed his extension. Hoping he signs more of them..
About their coaching prowess: who has the Iowa program developed into a high AA or All American? I am talking about progression. Spencer was #1 as a Freshman. Marinelli went 6/7/NQ/R12. Kemerer went 3/4/NQ/2. DeSanto went 5/NQ/3/3. Desanto stood still while RBY got better. Same for Cass/Kerk. If you come in as an AA as a freshman, they should be able to figure out how to develop a NC. Maybe Ramos, way back in the day. Little to no improvement anywhere, although I admit Lee is better- but he is an outlier.

About their coaching prowess: who has the Iowa program developed into a high AA or All American? I am talking about progression. Spencer was #1 as a Freshman. Marinelli went 6/7/NQ/R12. Kemerer went 3/4/NQ/2. DeSanto went 5/NQ/3/3. Desanto stood still while RBY got better. Same for Cass/Kerk. If you come in as an AA as a freshman, they should be able to figure out how to develop a NC. Maybe Ramos, way back in the day. Little to no improvement anywhere, although I admit Lee is better- but he is an outlier.
Marinelli was injured in 2021 so that’s why he was round of 12. He then finished 5th last year. Kemerer finished 4th last year with one shoulder. So you’re saying every freshman all American should develop into a national champion? Well then a lot of coaches are terrible at development.

Marinelli was injured in 2021 so that’s why he was round of 12. He then finished 5th last year. Kemerer finished 4th last year with one shoulder. So you’re saying every freshman all American should develop into a national champion? Well then a lot of coaches are terrible at development.
I think a freshman AA who doesn't improve to be only one indicator the program isn't maximizing potential. A string of them, a trend.

Reactions: danoftw
Marinelli was injured in 2021 so that’s why he was round of 12. He then finished 5th last year. Kemerer finished 4th last year with one shoulder. So you’re saying every freshman all American should develop into a national champion? Well then a lot of coaches are terrible at development
Seems like a lot of Iowa wrestlers get injured and can’t reach their potential, that’s a good point you make.

Nowhere did I say every Freshman AA should become a NC (If I gave that impression I am sorry, I could have phrased it better). I am saying there is a strong pattern of a lack of development. Max Murin (on wrestlestat) went 19/8/9/7/9. Abe Assad went 10/11/16/11. I am sure there could be exceptions to prove the rule.

Reactions: PASLP2
Seems like a lot of Iowa wrestlers get injured and can’t reach their potential, that’s a good point you make.

Nowhere did I say every Freshman AA should become a NC (If I gave that impression I am sorry, I could have phrased it better). I am saying there is a strong pattern of a lack of development. Max Murin (on wrestlestat) went 19/8/9/7/9. Abe Assad went 10/11/16/11. I am sure there could be exceptions to prove the rule.
I copied from you post. “If you come in as an AA as a freshman, they should be able to figure out how to develop a NC.”

Clark is an example of a guy who developed/progressed steadily to the top.

Maybe Burak to some extent? Testing my memory on that one (I think he showed progression but plateaued — short of the top).

Cassioppi is miles better than when he was a freshman, with 2023 still to play out.

If you don't shake hands at the end of a competition your a dick plain and simple. There's no other reason behind not shaking hands other than being a dick. Which means Iowa has a couple of dicks coaching the team. I normally would say lead the team but they aren't leaders now are they.

Clark is an example of a guy who developed/progressed steadily to the top.

Maybe Burak to some extent? Testing my memory on that one (I think he showed progression but plateaued — short of the top).

Cassioppi is miles better than when he was a freshman, with 2023 still to play out.
To be fair, Burak could not beat McIntosh because McIntosh stalled. I mean in every match they wrestled McIntosh woukd take him down and never let Burak shoot or score. According to another wrestling board not allowing an Iowa wrestler to score is stalling.

Burak is a good example. His first action when the redshirt was pulled, he lost to a D3 kid, but ended up going:

R12/8/7/4

Reactions: slushhead
Is it true they shook hands after the Wisc dual? So their season long policy is over?
It did not appear to be the case. The coaches did, but I didn't see the wrestlers shaking hands on the broadcast.
I may have jumped to conclusions when I saw the broadcast video showing Tom going through the line shaking hands. I just assumed the team was following.

It did not appear to be the case. The coaches did, but I didn't see the wrestlers shaking hands on the broadcast.
The wrestlers from both sides did indeed particpate in the handshake line. The broadcast first showed the coaches shaking, then cut to a tiebreaker criteria graphic, then showed the wrestlers shaking and returning to their respective benches.

I may have jumped to conclusions when I saw the broadcast video showing Tom going through the line shaking hands. I just assumed the team was following.
There appeared to me to be the silhouette of long line of handshaking in the dimly lit arena that passed before the lighted advertisement next to the mat. So it sure looked like many more than just Coach Brands.

Reactions: Creek Side
Wow, jmad has had a tough few days on here....

Of course it has to suck to vigorously defend a policy then watch the coaches ignore that policy in the next meet.
I’m a little concerned — he’s starting to sound like Gobbles. If he starts using various forms of “sick” (e.g., you’re sick, sickening, a Sicko), then we’ll know he has indeed been corrupted.

Wow, jmad has had a tough few days on here....

Of course it has to suck to vigorously defend a policy then watch the coaches ignore that policy in the next meet.
I’m a little concerned — he’s starting to sound like Gobbles. If he starts using various forms of “sick” (e.g., you’re sick, sickening, a Sicko), then we’ll know he has indeed been corrupted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT