ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Nebraska

Probably for the same reason you don't see every media outlet or social media singing the praises of the Cowboys from early June until 2 weeks after it is official the Cowboys won't win the Super Bowl, again.

Oh, and losing to last year's AFC conference champion which have won 10 in a row is hardly a choke.
But losing to the 2 seed on the road who had won 10 in a row is a choke? Why the double standard for Dallas? Is it Jerry Jones? Is it the self proclaimed “Americas Team”? What makes people care so much about Dallas who haven’t won a Super Bowl in 27 years?

Reactions: js8793
But losing to the 2 seed on the road who had won 10 in a row is a choke? Why the double standard for Dallas? Is it Jerry Jones? Is it the self proclaimed “Americas Team”? What makes people care so much about Dallas who haven’t won a Super Bowl in 27 years?
💰🤑💲

Reactions: js8793
That’s all I was asking! Thanks slush. And why would anyone want to join this bandwagon? So you can be disappointed every year like me? That baffles me.
I think you probably actually care about the team’s present-day success. At least, enough to feel genuine disappointment when they fall short. I’m guessing probably because you actually invest time in following the team. No shame in that, if that’s the case. That’s how it was for me when I invested time in any team.

The “bandwagoner” people I’m talking about care about being in with the popular crowd and associating themselves (in some illogical way) with a historic winner. I think it is within reason to assume many of us grew up with a kid or two like that, and were annoyed. Seeing it happen with adults is not only annoying, but disappointing (but that may be my issue). They care enough to be part of a popular conversation and relate to others, and that’s about as far as the fandom really goes. IMO, of course, based on personal observations. Different values for different people.

I grew up with a kid in the late ‘70s and through the ‘80s. First, he was diehard Steelers. Then, magically, he was diehard 49ers. I bet I know who he “loved” when the mid-‘90s rolled around. We had since gone our separate ways in life, so I can’t say for certain . . . but by that point, it didn’t matter — I already had personal experience with bandwagoners and knew they annoyed me. Self-proclaimed greatness and living in the past are two other things that annoy me. I don’t think I live on a small island in that regard.

Anyway, that’s my perspective on it. Since you asked.

I think you probably actually care about the team’s present-day success. At least, enough to feel genuine disappointment when they fall short. I’m guessing probably because you actually invest time in following the team. No shame in that, if that’s the case. That’s how it was for me when I invested time in any team.

The “bandwagoner” people I’m talking about care about being in with the popular crowd and associating themselves (in some illogical way) with a historic winner. I think it is within reason to assume many of us grew up with a kid or two like that, and were annoyed. Seeing it happen with adults is not only annoying, but disappointing (but that may be my issue). They care enough to be part of a popular conversation and relate to others, and that’s about as far as the fandom really goes. IMO, of course, based on personal observations. Different values for different people.

I grew up with a kid in the late ‘70s and through the ‘80s. First, he was diehard Steelers. Then, magically, he was diehard 49ers. I bet I know who he “loved” when the mid-‘90s rolled around. We had since gone our separate ways in life, so I can’t say for certain . . . but by that point, it didn’t matter — I already had personal experience with bandwagoners and knew they annoyed me. Self-proclaimed greatness and living in the past are two other things that annoy me. I don’t think I live on a small island in that regard.

Anyway, that’s my perspective on it. Since you asked.
Got it. The worst for me are all the folks who suddenly became Patriots fans in the early to mid 2000’s. I have an acquaintance who’s even worse. Guy is a diehard Lions fans yet claimed a Super Bowl victory last year because Matthew Stafford is “his quarterback”. Enough to make you sick.

Reactions: slushhead
YES! And I don't even follow NFL anymore. Though I have softened my stance a little bit once they drafted Sean Lee and then Micah Parsons, just a little.

Reactions: hlstone
I follow players and people. I grew up a Steve Young fan. Followed him in college, USFL, and as Joe Montana's back up. Then moved to the Bay Area for a time. Since his retirement I followed others with players I like. Taysom Hill played his HS ball near here and I follow the local boy. I wouldn't call it Fandom more like followdom.

Same with wrestling. I watched Cael dismantle guys as a freshman at a large regional tournament. Followed he and his brothers to ISU then Penn State. Likewise it was fun to see Borden go as an extra match Sunday. My sons team's wrestled his team several times. We watched him as a 120 lb freshman beat some tough wrestlers.

Even followed and cheered for Iowa for a time when the Lofthouse boys were wrestling. They are cousins on my moms side. Paradise, Utah is a tiny little place relatives twice. It's almost Kentucky.

I follow Nebraska wrestling for the same reason Ridge Lovett and Brock Hardy were at camps with my boys. For me it's about the people.

America's team. Self proclaimed.
If u are football fan, but aren't a Cowboy fan chances are pretty good you are a Cowboy hater.
Me, I have been a Steelers fan since the 60s. I remember after a tough (but another) loss Joe Green throwing his helmet and smashing the face mask as it connected with the crossbar. They lost 13 that year and drafted Bradshaw. I have disliked with a passion the Cowboys ever since they became 1 of the 2 top Steelers rivals in the 70s.

I just got done telling a buddy of mine (also a Cowboys and Ravens fan) that if the Steelers suck I still get great joy from the failure of the Ravens, Cowboys, Patriots and Raiders. So I am enjoying the post season.

How about them 🤠?

Reactions: papa_ed
America's team. Self proclaimed.
If u are football fan, but aren't a Cowboy fan chances are pretty good you are a Cowboy hater.
Me, I have been a Steelers fan since the 60s. I remember after a tough (but another) loss Joe Green throwing his helmet and smashing the face mask as it connected with the crossbar. They lost 13 that year and drafted Bradshaw. I have disliked with a passion the Cowboys ever since they became 1 of the 2 top Steelers rivals in the 70s.

I just got done telling a buddy of mine (also a Cowboys and Ravens fan) that if the Steelers suck I still get great joy from the failure of the Ravens, Cowboys, Patriots and Raiders. So I am enjoying the post season.

How about them 🤠?
Ok! I didn’t realize the slogan was what got everyone so fired up but I guess it does.

Ya gotta admit it is a bit arrogant, and can piss off fans from all the other teams.
Must be a Texas thing:
Fo2Fmc.gif

Cause they’re on TV every year on the last Thursday of November when I eat Turkey and I’d rather watch the Iggles.

Reactions: PASLP2
I don't personally know any Steelers, yet I am a fan.
I don't personally know any Pens, yet I am a fan.
I don't know any Pirates, and I could care less about baseball.
I don't think anyone should have to justify what sports teams they root for.

P.S. I know some Notre Dame, tOSU, and UM fans, and I'm just glad I'm not one.
I don't like any team with black or gold including Pittsburg teams and Iowa lol. Just kidding I don't mind the Steelers but I'm originally from Cincinnati so I've always been a Bengals fan
Amazon Touchdown GIF by NFL On Prime Video

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I don't like any team with black or gold including Pittsburg teams and Iowa lol. Just kidding I don't mind the Steelers but I'm originally from Cincinnati so I've always been a Bengals fan
Amazon Touchdown GIF by NFL On Prime Video
The first message board I ever posted on regularly was the smack talk forum on bengals board. It's where I honed my trolling skillz before I took my game over to HR. Lol

Reactions: nitlion6
No self respecting Penn state fan can be a Dallas fan until Jerry Jones is dead. After all, he is the one that hired Jimmy Johnson. And, Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes disrespected our Nittany Lions in the lead-up to the '86 Fiesta Bowl. Between that, the blatant drug use, and how they did Tom Landry, they became dead to me.

• Love
Reactions: Doak and hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT