ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestle Offs

WildTurk

Jul 25, 2011
Schedule not set in stone but they begin tommarrow.. Wish I didn't have to work.

Thursday, November 1

Match 1 - 141 lbs. Justin Stickley vs. Cam Shaver

Match 2 - 157 lbs. Danny Murphy vs Keegan Shaw

Match 3 - 157 lbs. Jeremiah Moody vs Joe Kelly

Match 4 - 157 lbs. Kaleb Young vs Preston Stephenson

Match 5 - 125 lbs. Perez Perez vs Aaron Cashman

Match 6 - 133 lbs. Paul Glynn vs Austin DeSanto

Match 7 - 141 lbs. Carter Happel vs Max Murin

Match 8 - 149 lbs. Patricio Lugo vs Zach Axmear

Match 9 - 165 lbs. Nelson Brands vs Tristan McDonald

Match 10 - 184 lbs. Myles Wilson vs To be determined

Match 11 - 184 lbs. Mitch Bowman vs Cash Wilcke

Match 12 - 197 lbs. Connor Corbin vs Cade Brownlee

Match 13 - Hwt Anthony Cassioppi vs Aaron Costello

Match 14 - 141 lbs. Vince Turk vs Winner ofStickley/Shaver

Match 15 - 157 lbs. Jeren Glosser vs Winner of Murphy/Shaw

Match 16 - 157 lbs. Winner of Moody/Kelly vs Winner of Young/Stephenson

Friday, November 2

Match 1 - 125 lbs. Spencer Lee vs Winner of Perez/Cashman

Match 2 - 133 lbs. Paul Glynn vs Austin DeSanto

Match 3 - 141 lbs. Winner of Happel/Murin vs Winner of Turk vs Stickley/Shaver

Match 4 - 149 lbs. Patricio Lugo vs Zach Axmear

Match 5 - 157 lbs. Winner of Match 15 vs Winner of Match 16

Match 6 - 165 lbs. Winner of Brands/McDonald vs Alex Marinelli

Match 7 - 184 lbs. Myles Wilson vs To be determined

Match 8 - 184 lbs. Mitch Bowman vs Cash Wilcke

Match 9 - 197 lbs. Winner of Corbin/Brownlee vs Jacob Warner

Match 10 - To be determined

Schedule not set in stone but they begin tommarrow.. Wish I didn't have to work.

Thursday, November 1

Match 1 - 141 lbs. Justin Stickley vs. Cam Shaver

Match 2 - 157 lbs. Danny Murphy vs Keegan Shaw

Match 3 - 157 lbs. Jeremiah Moody vs Joe Kelly

Match 4 - 157 lbs. Kaleb Young vs Preston Stephenson

Match 5 - 125 lbs. Perez Perez vs Aaron Cashman

Match 6 - 133 lbs. Paul Glynn vs Austin DeSanto

Match 7 - 141 lbs. Carter Happel vs Max Murin

Match 8 - 149 lbs. Patricio Lugo vs Zach Axmear

Match 9 - 165 lbs. Nelson Brands vs Tristan McDonald

Match 10 - 184 lbs. Myles Wilson vs To be determined

Match 11 - 184 lbs. Mitch Bowman vs Cash Wilcke

Match 12 - 197 lbs. Connor Corbin vs Cade Brownlee

Match 13 - Hwt Anthony Cassioppi vs Aaron Costello

Match 14 - 141 lbs. Vince Turk vs Winner ofStickley/Shaver

Match 15 - 157 lbs. Jeren Glosser vs Winner of Murphy/Shaw

Match 16 - 157 lbs. Winner of Moody/Kelly vs Winner of Young/Stephenson

Friday, November 2

Match 1 - 125 lbs. Spencer Lee vs Winner of Perez/Cashman

Match 2 - 133 lbs. Paul Glynn vs Austin DeSanto

Match 3 - 141 lbs. Winner of Happel/Murin vs Winner of Turk vs Stickley/Shaver

Match 4 - 149 lbs. Patricio Lugo vs Zach Axmear

Match 5 - 157 lbs. Winner of Match 15 vs Winner of Match 16

Match 6 - 165 lbs. Winner of Brands/McDonald vs Alex Marinelli

Match 7 - 184 lbs. Myles Wilson vs To be determined

Match 8 - 184 lbs. Mitch Bowman vs Cash Wilcke

Match 9 - 197 lbs. Winner of Corbin/Brownlee vs Jacob Warner

Match 10 - To be determined
Nice. Any coverage? UI radio?

125- Lee- Not much to say. World Champion talent!

133- Glynn could frustrate DeSanto certainly, but Austin has a relentless motor that should take over. Austin is a bull in a china shop. Terry and Tom are the best suited to teach and control him. Renteria to redshirt.

141- 3 quality guys at this weight. Winner of Happel vs Murin will have a likely tough battle with Turk. Many are penciling in Murin. I'm not folding on Turk yet. Should be some good scraps!

149- Lugo- waiting for his turn! Short and strong.

157- Glosser, Moody and Young. Moody loves the freestyle, Glosser the solid grinder and Young the never give up, high motor winner imo. Weight management seems key with him.

165- Marinelli will big brother bull-rush a quickly developing Brands who is wrestling up a weight.

174- Kemerer- certainly filled out, relentless attacks, leader.

184- Bowman vs Wilke. Bowman showed fight & funk last year but I think Wilke is too much of a brute to lose this. Love to see some more offense from Cash this year. He should be more comfortable down at 184.

197- Warner- lots of talent! Keep that head focused! Channel the emotion. Time is now!

285- Stoll. Not sure if Brands will have Cassioppi and Stoll faceoff just yet. Stoll's knee seems fine from what I've heard but no reason to test it early against a would be quality Heavyweight right off the bat.

Looking forward to this year! Love my Hawkeyes!

Last edited:
Can you blame him? Kemerer is no dummy. Actually, I would say holding Nolf to a regular decision 3 times is a pretty good accomplishment.

The second match should have been a major decision. Nolf had a takedown at the end for which they didn't award 2 points and Cael didn't challenge for some odd reason:

Reactions: danoftw
The second match should have been a major decision. Nolf had a takedown at the end for which they didn't award 2 points and Cael didn't challenge for some odd reason:
Possibly an indication that Cael & Co do not give much thought into winning the B1G tournament? You can see Cael ask Cody if they should challenge, and Cody sort of flippantly shakes his head “Nah”.

Did Kemerer ever take a shot against Nolf? All I remember is him fending off shots and hanging on for stalemates.

He took a couple. Kem is an offensive wrestler against anyone not named Nolf. It is hard to use Nolf when judging another wrestler because he seldom gives an opponent a moment to breathe much less attack. Kem is one of my favorite wrestlers because he does attack at such a high rate- Nolf is just ridiculous.

Possibly an indication that Cael & Co do not give much thought into winning the B1G tournament? You can see Cael ask Cody if they should challenge, and Cody sort of flippantly shakes his head “Nah”.
You get X amount of challenges, if you are Cael and Cody you have to decide if even winning the challenge is worth it since it may prevent you from using a challenge later in the session. In this case, the additional bonus point for the team was not going to make a difference in the team score, hence keep the challenge in your pocket because you might need it for another wrestler. I believe Hall still had to wrestle in the final.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
125- Lee- Not much to say. World Champion talent!

133- Glynn could frustrate DeSanto certainly, but Austin has a relentless motor that should take over. Austin is a bull in a china shop. Terry and Tom are the best suited to teach and control him. Renteria to redshirt.

141- 3 quality guys at this weight. Winner of Happel vs Murin will have a likely tough battle with Turk. Many are penciling in Murin. I'm not folding on Turk yet. Should be some good scraps!

149- Lugo- waiting for his turn! Short and strong.

157- Glosser, Moody and Young. Moody loves the freestyle, Glosser the solid grinder and Young the never give up, high motor winner imo. Weight management seems key with him.

165- Marinelli will big brother bull-rush a quickly developing Brands who is wrestling up a weight.

174- Kemerer- certainly filled out, relentless attacks, leader.

184- Bowman vs Wilke. Bowman showed fight & funk last year but I think Wilke is too much of a brute to lose this. Love to see some more offense from Cash this year. He should be more comfortable down at 184.

197- Warner- lots of talent! Keep that head focused! Channel the emotion. Time is now!

285- Stoll. Not sure if Brands will have Cassioppi and Stoll faceoff just yet. Stoll's knee seems fine from what I've heard but no reason to test it early against a would be quality Heavyweight right off the bat.

Looking forward to this year! Love my Hawkeyes!
If I were a Hawk fan I would want Murin to be definitively superior to Turk. You already know what you have in Turk, basically a tough nosed kid who is maybe slightly more likely to not AA than AA.

Hoping my hometown boy Kaleb Young wins the 57 spot. Just a great all around kid.
I am fairly certain he will be the Hawk 57 pounder and I hope he is quite successful.
Too many PA kids wearing the Black singlet. Rooting for Hawks instinctively seems wrong and yucky in a creepy way. However, with obvious seperation between the programs it has become comfortable to root for the PA Hawks.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
I am fairly certain he will be the Hawk 57 pounder and I hope he is quite successful.
Too many PA kids wearing the Black singlet. Rooting for Hawks instinctively seems wrong and yucky in a creepy way. However, with obvious seperation between the programs it has become comfortable to root for the PA Hawks.

Although I'm a huge PA guy, it doesn't always translate for me when it comes to college. Then I guess it comes down to if I like their style of wrestling and/or the way they carry themselves. Some of the PA Iowa guys I haven't followed enough to form a rooting or non-rooting interest in (Murin, Young), but there have certainly been some Hawks I've been a fan of over the past couple of years and don't feel bad rooting for - unless it's against PSU. Kemerer, Stoll (not the way he wrestles, but like his personality), Sorenson to name a few. There were probably some more. Maybe Murin and/or Young will be added to the list.

I maybe would be a fan of a couple of others, because I don't always hate the black hat guy, but it just doesn't work for me when the black hat is #3 or #6. If you're going to wear it, you need to be able to kick some as*. Not every time, but a lot.

Reactions: nitlion6
31 (now 32) posts over a Sqwawker wrestle-offs/exhibition post?! Man, they sure do draw attention, don't they?

31 (now 32) posts over a Sqwawker wrestle-offs/exhibition post?! Man, they sure do draw attention, don't they?
Another area that they are still trying to catch up with tOSU. ;)

Seriously though, they have a lot of new faces and it is one of the more interesting wrestle-offs in a while. 141 and 184 should be really interesting, maybe 157. The others will probably turn out to be just meh, although 133 could get interesting if things don't start out well, but I doubt it.

We are all wrestling fans first. I grew up with a hawk fanatic dad (whom I love beyond words), so naturally I became an ISU fan and even ended up wrestling there (room guy more like). I pretty much despise Iowa, or at least the idea of Iowa. I can't despise them when I look at them as individuals because it ruins my hatred. I have always been a big fan of Cory Clark and Brandon Sorensen. Kem is a guy I can't help but like. Spencer is unreal- I don't root for him really but rooting against him is like rooting for the trailer park against the tornado..good luck with that. I loved Brooks and you will never meet a nicer kid than Nathan Burak. Too many great guys around that program for my taste and it ruins my hatred. Iowa wrestle offs are a draw because we all love great wrestling and those scum sucking pricks are pretty damn good at it.

We are all wrestling fans first. I grew up with a hawk fanatic dad (whom I love beyond words), so naturally I became an ISU fan and even ended up wrestling there (room guy more like). I pretty much despise Iowa, or at least the idea of Iowa. I can't despise them when I look at them as individuals because it ruins my hatred. I have always been a big fan of Cory Clark and Brandon Sorensen. Kem is a guy I can't help but like. Spencer is unreal- I don't root for him really but rooting against him is like rooting for the trailer park against the tornado..good luck with that. I loved Brooks and you will never meet a nicer kid than Nathan Burak. Too many great guys around that program for my taste and it ruins my hatred. Iowa wrestle offs are a draw because we all love great wrestling and those scum sucking pricks are pretty damn good at it.
You describe me to a "t," other than I was a brief fan of them when I first moved down to Iowa, but that died QUICKLY.

I also have had a ton of Sqwawkers over the years that I really personally like and like to watch, but it is largely the organization and the fans who bring out the loathe in me. Two personal favorites just over the past few years have been Derek St. John and Jay Borschel.

And, yes, I get the irony that I've contributed yet ANOTHER post to this thread. o_O

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT