ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestle Offs

I was a lit major in college. My wife is an English teacher in New Jersey. Our daughters were educated in New Jersey public schools.

lol at any poor 8th grader whose teacher requires him to read Beowulf.
Can't say I ever read it, let alone know who and what it is, but fantasy type of crap has always been over my head and never on my reading list. I'm basically a few credits and a dissertation away from a Ph.D. too. o_O

And if you want to see its regression, read Richie Lewis' twitter feed.

79f054bb4726c52393ea1ba7a625e054.jpg

Im desperately trying to find a video of this
I have looked and looked. Both, the on the mat confrontation and the post tournament "that was nothing, he knew it was going to be like the bug and windshield" and I have never been able to find either.

We were assigned to read Beowulf in the 8th or 9th grade, keyword being "assigned".

WOLF is spelt with an O, and that coupled with the goofy foriegn words was enough for me to SparkNote it online and roll the dice like I did every other book in HS.

Maybe, but disrespecting and taunting athletes from opposing teams isn't in a coach's job description, and nor does it go into a coach's highlight reel at the end of his/her career.

Bad behavior cannot be excused, but what would a fool like me know?
Haters gonna hate. You want to judge the man by what you saw a couple times in the heat of battle, and ignore everything else, have at it. World's a mostly negative place, just trying to bring an ounce of being positive.

Reactions: hlstone
Terry is a very intense dude. He and Tom are both pretty fun guys to talk to and absolutely care a great deal about the sport and the athletes who compete. They do some crazy antics which I am not a fan of, but the entertainment value is sometimes priceless. I certainly don't believe they are the black eye our sport needs to fix. We need passionate people coaching. Having said that I would rather have a calm,controlled, and equally passionate guy coaching my son. Give me Cael all day everyday.

Reactions: Hartzie
Terry is a very intense dude. He and Tom are both pretty fun guys to talk to and absolutely care a great deal about the sport and the athletes who compete. They do some crazy antics which I am not a fan of, but the entertainment value is sometimes priceless. I certainly don't believe they are the black eye our sport needs to fix. We need passionate people coaching. Having said that I would rather have a calm,controlled, and equally passionate guy coaching my son. Give me Cael all day everyday.
...and twice on Sunday's. I can't think of a better coaching hire at Penn State than Cael, at least in my time on this earth. Equally good, without mentioning names, but none better...and the story's still being written for Penn State Wrestling. And for me, it extends to Cody, Casey, and Jake. While Jake's being groomed, Casey and Cody could coach anywhere in the country, D1-wise, they're that good. We're fortunate to have them all.

Can't say I ever read it, let alone know who and what it is, but fantasy type of crap has always been over my head and never on my reading list. I'm basically a few credits and a dissertation away from a Ph.D. too. o_O
Is that the same thing as being a few bricks shy of a full load?

Is that the same thing as being a few bricks shy of a full load?
Oh, I've repeatedly said on here that I'm an idiot, so, yes, I freely admit that.

HOWEVER, I personally think it takes some guts to accuse someone with more bricks than one's self of being "short of a full load." ;)

Haters gonna hate. You want to judge the man by what you saw a couple times in the heat of battle, and ignore everything else, have at it. World's a mostly negative place, just trying to bring an ounce of being positive.
Tom Ryan, Rutgers University, and Nick Suriano would disagree.

So circling back to the Brands lad ...

Alex Marinelli is 1-3 in his last four folk style matches with one loss by major decision, one loss by pin, and his only win a hard-fought one against a true freshman who was the number 93 recruit in the country just a few short months ago.

Should I drop him from my fantasy team?

Reactions: diggerpup
So circling back to the Brands lad ...

Alex Marinelli is 1-3 in his last four folk style matches with one loss by major decision, one loss by pin, and his only win a hard-fought one against a true freshman who was the number 93 recruit in the country just a few short months ago.

Should I drop him from my fantasy team?
Brands gave Alex a good match but Alex was in full control. The pin was a fluke. His shoulders were on the mat for only a 1/2 a Marinelli. Wick certainly cradled him up. Very impressed with that at the time. I would still bet on Alex winning 90% of his matches this year. Would like to see his knee free at some point this winter

Oh, I've repeatedly said on here that I'm an idiot, so, yes, I freely admit that.

HOWEVER, I personally think it takes some guts to accuse someone with more bricks than one's self of being "short of a full load." ;)
I was not accusing. I was just asking if that is what the kids are calling it these days. :)

Oh......I think many would say you definitely are a Full Load....:)

SORRY...….Just kidding. We have a rule in my family.....If you set 'em up...….somebody has to knock 'em down.

While good for the sport, I'm not a huge fan of the Brands' and their matside antics, however I do find myself telling my son, "You get what you earn." Simple, but oh so true.

It'd be nice if Terry used some of that intensity to lobby for an annual PSU v Iowa dual. Then he could apply all that intensity into willing his guy to at least reach the second round against Bo. :)

But then he'd have to run out of the arena at the end of the match again. :D

It'd be nice if Terry used some of that intensity to lobby for an annual PSU v Iowa dual. Then he could apply all that intensity into willing his guy to at least reach the second round against Bo. :)
And a UNI/Sqwawker dual, which the Sqwawkers have avoided for probably five years now. Such a dual used to be an annual tradition.

Terry and Tom are all in regarding scheduling PSU and Iowa every year. One condition, Penn State has to agree to travel 2 out of 3 years.

Excellent interview from Tom Brands. Very candid. Love his personality!

I believe that Iowa will put a very competitive team on the mat come March. I like the team that they have put together, and I think that the race for second place along with Okie State and OSU will be almost as entertaining as watching Jason, Bo, and Cenzo win their third titles in front of a charged Penn State Crowd. :)

I believe that Iowa will put a very competitive team on the mat come March. I like the team that they have put together, and I think that the race for second place along with Okie State and OSU will be almost as entertaining as watching Jason, Bo, and Cenzo win their third titles in front of a charged Penn State Crowd. :)
I like this post...just hoping for good health all around, and the PSU guys get and embrace the opportunity for individual and team success. Thing is, it's still going to be settled on the mat, so tons of excitement (hopefully for the PSU guys) yet to come.

Looking out a bit further, and there does appear there will be more parity in 2019-20. Can't see beyond that, too much can happen. Iowa should be stronger, same with OSU, and tOSU will need the new guys replacing McKenna, M. Jordan, Campbell and Martin to really step up.

And a UNI/Sqwawker dual, which the Sqwawkers have avoided for probably five years now. Such a dual used to be an annual tradition.
I would drive south to watch Brands Duo and Schwab nearly come to blows each match in West Gym. Only been there for one dual, and it is awesome.

Hey Turk, how does Kemmerer look at a 74 pounder? I'm guessing he'll outquick a lot of the guys at that weight. I'm just wondering how much of the 17 lbs. he's been able to gain.

Hey Turk, how does Kemmerer look at a 74 pounder? I'm guessing he'll outquick a lot of the guys at that weight. I'm just wondering how much of the 17 lbs. he's been able to gain.
He has certainly filled out. No longer looks sucked down. I personally have not watched him wrestle a live match yet at 174. I went to one practice when I was passing through Iowa City and he was on a bike that day. Will be interesting to see how he competes up 2 weights forsure. Quite the challenge for any wrestler.

I doubt that would happen. Schwab and the Brands' are all still pretty close with one another.
I guess I've never noticed them interact with one another in any UNI-Iowa matches. I figured they were still friends and close as family, but family fights a little different, ya know?

...and twice on Sunday's. I can't think of a better coaching hire at Penn State than Cael, at least in my time on this earth. Equally good, without mentioning names, but none better...and the story's still being written for Penn State Wrestling. And for me, it extends to Cody, Casey, and Jake. While Jake's being groomed, Casey and Cody could coach anywhere in the country, D1-wise, they're that good. We're fortunate to have them all.
Coaching hires: don't know the names but the Woman's Volleyball coach and the Fencing coach: both great PSU hires and teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT