ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs Iowa at 5:30 on BTN

bdgan

May 29, 2008
IMO this is close to a must win game if PSU is going to make the tournament. ESPN gives us a 59% chance to win but they gave us and even better chance vs MSU.

Shrewsbury made some unflattering comments about the team's effort vs Delaware State so it will be interesting to see how the team performs today.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The first half couldn't have gone much better. PSU's team defense has been outstanding. One time they were slow getting back allowing McCaffrey to get an easy 3 but that's it. Great D!

It was all Pickett on offense for the first 10 minutes. Not much movement by anybody else but that finally improved. Funk was unconscious for a stretch. My only criticism on offense is Njie not being able to handle passes.

Mahaffey played well.
Dread made a layup.
No Dorsey?

Reactions: NedFromYork
The first half couldn't have gone much better. PSU's team defense has been outstanding. One time they were slow getting back allowing McCaffrey to get an easy 3 but that's it. Great D!

It was all Pickett on offense for the first 10 minutes. Not much movement by anybody else but that finally improved. Funk was unconscious for a stretch. My only criticism on offense is Njie not being able to handle passes.

Mahaffey played well.
Dread made a layup.
No Dorsey?
Mahaffey did play really well. I know Njie is young, but man his hands are not good.

Reactions: nitlion93 and bdgan
Njie with 2 quick fouls and now has 4. No Dorsey today?

We could be going small.

Iowa got away from going inside for some reason after they cut the lead to 9, the. PSU went on a little run… it’s now 63-50 with 10:36 left.

Penn State defense got a little lazy this half. Too many easy looks for Murray.

PSU needs Lundy, Funk, or Dread to get hot.

Defense getting really sloppy and offense is taking it down to 1 or 2 seconds left on the shot clock and forcing something up. 78-69 with 2:54 left.

Defense is either tired or lazy this half. Not much resistance when Iowa takes it to the basket. Not closing out on 3 pt shooters at all.

As good as PSU was in the 1st half they're equally as bad in the 2nd half.

When you have a big lead with 6 minutes there are 2 rules. No fouls and no 3s. Iowa has caught up with 3s and fouls stopping the clock. Iowa had 53 pts in 2nd half.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnuccio2
Very very lucky.

Funk misses 2 big FTs late including front end of 1-1. PSU lucky they weren't called for a lane violation on Pickett. Could Lundy have been called for a technical for slamming the ball after being fouled?

Very very lucky.

Funk misses 2 big FTs late. PSU lucky they weren't called for a lane violation on Pickett. Could Lundy have been called for a technical for slamming the ball after being fouled?
Of course that lane violation should have never happened because it was a horsesh!t call on Wynter and the dude shouldn’t have been at the line. If it was a foul, then it was offensive.

Reactions: scbob
Very very lucky.

Funk misses 2 big FTs late including front end of 1-1. PSU lucky they weren't called for a lane violation on Pickett. Could Lundy have been called for a technical for slamming the ball after being fouled?
Definitely could have been T'd up, though I thought it was a good spot to swallow the whistle. You could tell that Pickett realized it immediately and said something to Lundy about it.

Very very lucky.

Yes, he definitely could have and probably should have been given a technical foul for a totally unnecessary and selfish act. He looked like a kid who just had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar after he did it.

Scores please.
PSU was leading by 13 with 5:38 remaining but nearly caught up with good shooting, good offensive rebounding, and FTs (fortunately they missed a few).

Funk missed a FT late, then missed the front end of 1-1 which gave Iowa a chance to tie or win. Fortunately Lundy got a huge steal and made both FTs to give PSU a 4 pt lead with 3 seconds remaining.

BUT AFTER LUNDY'S STEAL HE SLAMMED THE BALL HARD ON THE FLOOR. Could have been a game changing mental mistake but refs didn't call the technical.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
PSU was leading by 13 with 5:38 remaining but nearly caught up with good shooting, good offensive rebounding, and FTs (fortunately they missed a few).

Funk missed a FT late, then missed the front end of 1-1 which gave Iowa a chance to tie or win. Fortunately Lundy got a huge steal and made both FTs to give PSU a 4 pt lead with 3 seconds remaining.

BUT AFTER LUNDY'S STEAL HE SLAMMED THE BALL HARD ON THE FLOOR. Could have been a game changing mental mistake but refs didn't call the technical.
And that is how we have lost so many ball games before.....

Incredibly stupid and undisciplined play.

Got lucky that the ref didn't play hero.

In high school ball that's a T every time

Reactions: bdgan
Funk. He's some kinda wonderful. Can I get a witness?

This should be the run-out music.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWS1022
Fairly critical comments on this board after a big win against a team that is traditionally much better than PSU. Great job Coach Shrewsberry and company!

WE ARE!!!
There was nothing but praise for PSU's 1st half effort.

The criticism about the second half was justified. It wasn't because shots stopped falling. It was a lack of energy and discipline on defense. Iowa scored 53 points partly because Murray got hot but mostly because we committed fouls, failed to rebound, and stopped closing out on 3 pt shooters. That wasn't good.

This was a critical win for PSU's post season hopes but remember it was a home game against a team that is 0-4 in the conference.

Reactions: bison13
There was nothing but praise for PSU's 1st half effort.

The criticism about the second half was justified. It wasn't because shots stopped falling. It was a lack of energy and discipline on defense. Iowa scored 53 points partly because Murray got hot but mostly because we committed fouls, failed to rebound, and stopped closing out on 3 pt shooters. That wasn't good.

This was a critical win for PSU's post season hopes but remember it was a home game against a team that is 0-4 in the conference.
This is PSU basketball- I’ll take any WIN, regardless of how, why, or against whom! Don’t care what we played like, don’t care if it was ugly, or just hanging on waiting for the clock to hit 0:00 (which is what I was doing watching our 18 point lead drain to 2). Any in-conference win is awesome!

This is PSU basketball- I’ll take any WIN, regardless of how, why, or against whom! Don’t care what we played like, don’t care if it was ugly, or just hanging on waiting for the clock to hit 0:00 (which is what I was doing watching our 18 point lead drain to 2). Any in-conference win is awesome!
Agree but I wasn't happy with the second half effort and discipline. Sometimes the shots just stop falling and the other team gets hot regardless of how hard you play. That's basketball. But last night the defense just got lazy or tired.

Agree but I wasn't happy with the second half effort and discipline. Sometimes the shots just stop falling and the other team gets hot regardless of how hard you play. That's basketball. But last night the defense just got lazy or tired.
My 2nd half issue was rebounding - Iowa got way too many put backs and 2nd opportunities. Drove me crazy!

Being a PSU hoops fan is the closest thing to rooting for the NY Jets that I can think of. Eternal Optimism but usually bitter disappointment.

I've been a pretty big fan since my junior and senior years when I studied in a quiet area of Pattee where Tom Hovasse and Paul Murphy typically were too. Jim Martin the wrestler was another denizen. Imagine that.....STUDENT athletes in the Library!

I'll be at the Palestra Sunday hoping for a miracle. Last 2 games there we have won....but not against a #1 team.

Go State!

Being a PSU hoops fan is the closest thing to rooting for the NY Jets that I can think of. Eternal Optimism but usually bitter disappointment.

I've been a pretty big fan since my junior and senior years when I studied in a quiet area of Pattee where Tom Hovasse and Paul Murphy typically were too. Jim Martin the wrestler was another denizen. Imagine that.....STUDENT athletes in the Library!

I'll be at the Palestra Sunday hoping for a miracle. Last 2 games there we have won....but not against a #1 team.

Go State!
Njie's play was limited because of foul trouble but we didn't see Dorsey at all. Is he injured or just benched? PSU doesn't have much of a chance against Purdue's big man but we can't play small all game.

P.S. What's this "Student Athlete" thing you refer to?

Njie's play was limited because of foul trouble but we didn't see Dorsey at all. Is he injured or just benched? PSU doesn't have much of a chance against Purdue's big man but we can't play small all game.

Believe Dorsey was a coach’s decision…I expect we’ll see more of him (and Henn) the next two games as we face bigs that we simply can’t guard with Dread or Lundy.

The last time a BBall player visited the library it didn't work out so well.... again just another bump in the road for PSU hoops. Stanley "Jingle" Pringle...you just can't make this shit up.

Reactions: bdgan
I wonder what he's doing today. He had a good career playing internationally. It must have been difficult for him to live with that incident.

My complaint about the second half was trying to milk the lead too early in the game. Taking the shot clock down to 1 and then firing up a turnaround, fadeaway jumper is not a good approach. Stick with what got you the lead. I’ve seen that too many times with PSU…it’s like they have no confidence in the fact that they’re actually winning the game, so they try to preserve it instead of just continuing to play. As soon as they started milking the lead (we were up 13 at the time) I knew it was going to be a close one.

Reactions: johnmpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT